Imperial Russian Stout - Wellington County Brewery

Imperial Russian StoutImperial Russian Stout

Wellington County Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Imperial Stout is patterned after the highly fortified Russian Stouts that were exported from the U.K. to Russia in the 1800s.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001)

4.78/5  rDev +22.6%

Wow!...wadda beer!!! What can I say...I lost my beloved Okocim porter but I found a new master...the Iron Duke! This beer was named after the right guy...anyone who can kick Napoleon's ass, invent the gum boot and set a brewing standard for British brewers that exists to this day has GOT to have a beer named after him.

Comes on a distinctive crown topped old style brown liter bottle with a trick looking label with a picture of the iron duke in full dress battle regalia circa 1815. Best before code on label dated from 6 months from production.

Pours a dark coffee color that won't let light through a porter glass.
(I poured an ounce into a brandy snifter and held it to bright light and this brew is crystal clear dark mahogany but in volume it's roasted richness makes it appear black)
The pour leaves a creamy mocha cap that stacks out of the glass then this reduces halfway through the drink to a delicate tan lace.

The brew gives definitive odors of coffee, spice, cocoa and sweet roasted maltyness, licorice and molasses to the nose (this is almost a perfect replication of the Okocim Baltic porter aroma....I'm twitching with anticipation at this point for the first quaff!

Starts big and rich with an oily-cream mouthfeel up front...melts into a delicious complex mix of toasted malt sweetness balanced with just the right stout-hop astringency and some complex mocha-spice tastes...then the finish is medium dry...just perfect (I personally dislike overly dry stouts)

This is MY beer!! I think I found something that is a rough equivalent to the world's best Baltic porters (which I love).

I don't know what Wellington was thinking when they named this a stout...it has many of the characteristics of a Russian imperial porter...and that's fine with me...it may also explain why many of the stout fanciers who try this brew (and are used to the dry Irish stout types) say it is too sweet. It may be.... by that frame of reference but I think it more aptly should be judged as a rich full strength Baltic porter. I love this thick rich heady brew call it imperial stout with a sweet twinge or a Canadian version of a good Baltic porter...I still love this beer!!

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.63/5  rDev +18.7%

Black as night, Roasted malt and toffee to the nose that is also presented in the flavor, which is just amazing. As it warms it gets smoother, more pronounced but not overpowering, Very easy going for a strong stout. If you haven't already tried this, try it, you won't be disappointed.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Quite the beer: pours out black and thick, with little to no head, then whacks you over the head with crazy coffee and chocolate malt flavours, before finishing up with some hoppiness and a good alcohol burn. I like it! And the bomber really hit me exceptionally hard. An exceptionally good brew. Cheers for Ontario, and here's hoping their strong ale is just as good!

edit: After trying it a second time, I'm just posting a few revisions: hops really aren't very noticeable; head is easily attained through a hard pour; I found it went down a lot more easily second time around; I will ratify the strength though - seems almost too tasty not to knock it back.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an ominous black with a dark brown head, very thick and syrupy looking. Aroma of dark chocolate and some coffee. Taste was a lovely roasted flavour, dark chocolate, burnt toast, black coffee, amazingly good roasted finish. Creamy mouthfeel, very syrupy as is warmed. This is one of my all time favourite beers, and definitely my favourite stout. I enjoy this as a nightcap and as this winter looks like it is going to be very cold, I think I should keep this on supply. I could drink this all day, all week, forever and ever. Amen.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A thick black stout, with a nice brownish head that stays it course with the beer. Smell of roasted malt, caramel and chocolate with a tiny touch of coffe. Taste is well balanced, you dont feel that beer is 8%abv actually, some roasted malt aromas, some chocolate finish and a tiny touch of coffee comes tickles your palate. A very well balanced imperial stout.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appreciation to 42ndtourist for sending me a bottle of this from Ontario. Classic looking label with the "Iron Duke" portrait on the cap as well. This is definitely one of the most revered beers in Ontario, so my anticipation was high. Poppping the cap gives that lovely malty-milky aroma. This poured impenetrably black, with a soft brown/dark beige head. The head churned very slowly, leaving some very sticky lacing that was lighter in colour. The beer's thickness is clearly evident when held closely to a light--this is extremely hard to see through: only hints of dark mollasses brown near the edges. The head went down to a thinnish layer, with almost red-tinges to the outer bubbles appearing. The carbonation and the foam gets better after a few gentle swirls, and it increased the head's retention; and the lacing then became big sheets screening the glass. Rich, meaty looking stout. The aroma is immediate seasoning salt maltiness, very meat-like, some wood, lactic creaminess, black licorice and mollasses. All in all it is expectedly malty-sweet, but with definining hopiness as well. Nostril-filling smells of pepper, brown sugar, fresh brown bread, root beer, tar, raisins and burt toast, dark bitter chocolate, a jot of charcoal, sweet maple syrup, and a nice lack of any strong alcohol notes. Delectable and appetising. The first characteristic I noticed when I sipped was a little less body than I expected. The taste is all licorice and spicy, leathery malt up front. Wonderful meat and toasted bread in the middle, and the substantial dryness from the hops leaves a definite bittering effect on the palate. There is a little milkiness in the taste, and the phenols can definitely be tasted in the middle of the tongue, albeit not as strongly as some Imperial Stouts. There is much salinity in the taste, especially at the back of the tongue, adding a very strong double-salted licorice flavour. Great sugar-and-butter toast aftertaste. Syrupy carbonation, very slick and oily. The mouthfeel is definitely full, but perhaps not as thick as some Imperials. The ease with which this goes down, with no biting alcohol and no overpowering qualities, renders it extremely drinkable. I paired this with three cheeses: Danish Havarti cheese was somewhat overpowered by the beer; French brie added a touch of metallic sourness; but 3-year Canadian aged cheddar could hold its own, and complemented the sweet maltiness with its sharp pungency. A perfect brew for this cold night, and I wish I had many more for the frost-bitten nights to come. This is one beer from Ontario I wish we could buy here in Alberta. This is a well-balanced Imperial Russian Stout--everything it should be. All the elements mix to create a beautiful alchemical concoction.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

I've had a lot of these, but this is my last bottle of my current batch. Hope I can find some more, because it's great, and I'm so glad it's local!

Pours pitch black with a big chocolate milk head.

Aroma is chocolate, cappuccino, brown sugar, chocolate covered cherries, and some mild alcohol.

Flavour is excellent, if simple -- dry, bitter chocolate or cocoa, and some bitter hops that balance out the maltiness well.

Super-thick mouthfeel, ear-warming alcohol in there, making the aftertaste somewhat sweet (but mostly pleasant).

My only complaint about this beer is that, for the style, it's not as complex and out there as some of the big name ones from the US. That being said, it's easy to get, and I'll always keep some in stock. Definitely up there with my favourite beers!

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Got six cans of this stuff from my buddy Ludachris. Looking forward to it, as Wellington seldom disappoints.

Appearance: A body as black has night with a finger and a half of dark brown head that retains and laces decently. There is a potential for more lacing and retention but all in all solid.

Smell: A good dose of heavily roasted malts, rich coffee and a hint of tobacco smokiness can be detected. Took a little bit of warming to come out and could be a bit stronger but pretty much everything I'd expect from an RIS.

Taste: Oh wow, just rich enough to make me love it. Starts with a strong well roasted malt presence that turns beautifully into a dark berry and plum fruitiness with subtle coffee and ending with a smooth coffee/chocolate bitterness. A little bit more fruitiness and it would be a 5 in my book.

Mouthfeel: Well, my only real complaint is that once the head disappears, it seems to take on a bit more of a watery texture. The carbonation needs a bit of work in that regard but apart from that, exceptional aftertaste that echos the entire beer and sticks around for just the right amount of time.

Drinkability: This is not a sipping stout that is for sure. I had no problems getting this down as the smoothness of the whole experience and somewhat refreshing aspects of the beer really add to it. Only qualm is that it seems to have given me a little bit of gas.

Final Thoughts: If I didn't know this stuff was 8% I would be on my ass so fast with this stuff it's not even funny. I did not detect even a hint of alcohol. I can see why many feel this is Wellington's strongest brew and I would tend to agree. I'm not a huge stout drinker, but this stuff might change that as I'm glad to still have another five. If you are in Guelph, pick yourself up a six pack at the very least.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

I usually write and discuss what I think about the appearence and aroma before I even taste the beer, but this just looked so lovely and smelled so nice that I had to sneak a taste. Damn, this straight up rocks. Black with an overflowing, bubbly and rocky head of light tan foam. Liquid smores aromatics with hints of graham crackers, coffee, chocolate and roast along with a suggestion of soy sauce and blackberries. Very rich malts in the flavor with notes of coffee, chocolate, black licorice and dark fruits. Very rich and very flavorful and there are not any rough hops to ruin the lovely malt presence.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Black pour with an enormous tan head. Looks the part of a great stout.

Smell: Roasted malts, black licorice, only a hint of unsweetened chocolate and light coffee notes.

Taste: Roasted malts right off the top accompanied with some smokiness. Hop bitterness down the middle followed by the black licorice and coffee notes towards the finish. Chalky, dry finish...and yet oily...is that possible? highlighted by bitter coffee bean.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and medium bodied. Creamy texture, quite pleasant.

Drinkability: A top of the line Stout. Not overpowering or having an over the top flavour profile, instead having great balance and adequate smell & taste. Not the best batch i've tried but still a great beer. Wellington's best.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Exemplary, and very welcome.

Chocolate, coffee, sour and oiliness. Complex. Big. Do I really need to say more? Really?

Tar black with an off-white to toasty head. Mouthfeel of liquid and oil, with a chewy big malty middle. Almost meaty. Coats the tongue. Dark molasses sweet aroma to offset the tangy hops.

Wellington should be very proud. I'll say it again, an exemplary sample of a difficult style.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Got a 341mL from Pootz, thanks.

Appearance: Pours very thick and opaque. Colour of cola, with a small brown head dissolving to a lace ring.

Aroma: Big roasted malt smells. Also, notes of chocolate, molasses & bread.

Taste: Superb! Heavy burnt malt taste with hints of unsweetened chocolate and wood. Very little hop presence, but tastes fantastic with its strong malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Higher level of carbonation reminds me of a porter, and not as creamy as I expected, but this was my first russian imperial stout.

Final Statement: This was wonderful! I haven't seen a russian imperial stout in Nova Scotia, but I am now about to look for one. I enjoy the style, and I loved this one by Wellington. I have another in a cellar to age.

473ml can into snifter

a: pitch black. the most aggressive pour in the world gives almost three fingers of light brown, khaki-esque head

s: chocolatey coffee, roasted malts. bits of raisins, cherries, prunes. hints of sweet syrup?

t: chocolate up front, then coffee, some raisins and cherries, and then a lasting roasted/charred/burnt malt presence. a strong and lingering earthy bitterness to finish it all off. zero alcohol presence

m: medium-to-full bodied, maybe closer to the medium side of things. a chewier mouthfeel could improve this a lot. medium carbonation, which is slightly too high

o: a very simple and standard stout, which isn't really a bad thing because stout flavours are delicious. some may just find it boring. a very tasty local brew at an unbeatable price -- just under $3 for the pint can

Imperial Russian Stout from Wellington County Brewery