Imperial Russian Stout - Wellington County Brewery

Imperial Russian StoutImperial Russian Stout

Wellington County Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Imperial Stout is patterned after the highly fortified Russian Stouts that were exported from the U.K. to Russia in the 1800s.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001)
AaronHomoya

Indiana

On cask at C'est What? in Toronto. Delicious with my lamb burger.

Black color with dark-tan head. Not too oily. Pretty good head retention.

Smell is nice, with dark roasted malts and coffee notes. Very good, but not as complex as some RIS's.

Taste was very pleasant with some malt sweetness followed by chocolate and coffee flavors and finished with a nice bitterness and lingering, smooth roastiness.

Medium-thick mouthfeel. Light carbonation, as to be expected from a cask. Very smooth.

Very drinkable for a RIS. The mouthfeel and balanced flavor profile made it relatively easy-drinking for the style and enjoyable throughout.

05-17-2008 00:42:57 | More by AaronHomoya
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Dark as hell with an ok coffeeish nose this is a well made RIS that works on the subtle approach. The finish is long lasting and the roasty stout flavours show up as part of the blended whole.( My thought might be that this beer shouldn't be cellared longer than a year as it doesn't have a lot of jagged edges to come off through aging.) I did enjoy the drinakbility of the beer as it warmed up. Not a huge RIS but very nice and well made

03-22-2008 17:10:05 | More by canucklehead
francisweizen

Alaska

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pint at C'est What?

Dark ruby brown/black with red edges and a small off-white/beige/tan cappa foam. Aromas are a bit weak/watery, but the roasetd malts are there along with slight burnt toast and mission fig. Taste is all sweet cocoa and roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, but thin, but awesome as this is on cask. Drinkability=killer.

solid effort

02-13-2008 23:37:04 | More by francisweizen
headlessparrot

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

I was so taken with Wellington RIS that last time I reviewed this beer, I set one aside, to be aged (for as long as I could resist the temptation). The result is this particular sample, aged in the crisper of my family's basement fridge for approximately one year and three months. Do note that whatever my impressions are, they are likely not what you'll find with a brand-new bottling (which, there's no need to re-iterate, is delicious).

The pour from this beauty is quite muted. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that the seal was broken - almost pure coffee black, with little-to-no-head. Perhaps one finger, dissipating before I was even able to measure it. It does leave a bit of lacing. Not too dissimilar from the brand-new bottle. Looks delicious in spite of the lacklustre look, but perhaps only because I love this beer so.

Smell has strengthened a bit, but not really enough to make that extra year worth it. The licorice comes out a bit more, but it's still mostly roasted malt - heavy on the chocolate (equal parts milk and bitter). Cappuccino, coffee, molasses. Stronger hints of alcohol than the new bottle. Brown sugar. Maybe a bit vinegar-y/vinous. Quite interesting. Still utterly delicious, but again, I don't think this guy has benefited too much from that year in the cellar.

Taste, like with a new bottle, is just a little disappointing after how heavenly the smell is. Yet it's still quite good. Roasted malt, obviously. Mild but noticeable hopping, this one sells itself on the chocolate, molasses, and brown sugar. The woodiness that I once detected in the new bottling is gone, replaced by a bit more of a vinous twang. Coffee, cappucino - more of the nose, in other words. A bit more alcohol kick than the new bottling. None of the 'graininess' that I noticed, either. A bit sweet initially, but generally quite dry and bitter. This beer is still quite spectacular, though a year doesn't add anything special. I do wish more of the chocolate came through, but beggars can't be choosers.

Mouthfeel remains quite good. Smooth, and the year in the bottle has tamed some of the carbonation (maybe?). Substantial but not thick body. Drinkability has deteriorated as the alcohol kick has increased, but not by much. This one is still a treat that I'd sell my left arm for.

Still not the best stout I've had, and a year doesn't do too much to help it, but Wellington Russian Imperial Stout is a simply remarkable, delicious beer. I would kill to find this stuff on tap somewhere, and I'd pay an arm and a leg for the privilege of a few pints.

08-30-2007 23:16:59 | More by headlessparrot
BrewSomerville

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

Aroma: very muted. Chocolate.

Looks: Black. Small, tan head. Poor head retention.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, a touch of black licorice (but not bad). Some pine-like hoppy flavours that build up on your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Smooth, velvety, silky, and chewy. Light carbonation with very fine, small bubbles. Good cask conditioned mouthfeel.

Overall, I like this Beer much, much better in it's cask conditioned version. I don't care much for the black licorice flavour, but this RIS didn't have much of it. This Beer certainly hides it's 8% ABV well.

08-26-2007 23:20:45 | More by BrewSomerville
Talisker

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Bottle received from BA Goldorak via an extremely generous (on his side!) in-person trade.

Pours dark but thin. Almost no head despite trying to force one up. Aroma is heavily dominated by chocolate - not sweet, but not overly bitter or burnt. Not much malt or hops to balance the smell.

That slightly bitter chocolate also dominates the taste. Not at all unpleasant, but not particularly balanced. The thin texture avoids the syrupy viscosity of many American RIS expressions, but a lingering roasted bitterness takes its place, outstaying its welcome, wanting a little sweetness.

Were this beer a work in progress, I would say it's extremely promising, just needing a little tuning before bringing out to the world. But as a finished beer it's not one I'll return to or recommend others seek out.

08-04-2007 09:47:27 | More by Talisker
Mebuzzard

Colorado

1.75/5  rDev -55.2%

Trade from grub. Thanks, I like trying new brews! Even if I don't like them.
Previous high marks for this one made my mouth water. But the sink had the rest of this beer.
Poured a weak looking, thin Cola liquid, absolutely no head whatsoever, none, not after a hard pour, a good swirl, nothing. Horrible looking, but at least it is dark.
Smelled like wet coffee and bad chocolate. Coffee hints can't hide the astringent aroma that dominated.
Tasted like the malts were roasted over a dung-fire, not good at all. Hops had bite, but no flavor. Drinkability? Ask the drain.

05-29-2007 19:44:21 | More by Mebuzzard
blitz134

Super dark beer, with 3/4" of light chocolate head on top. Reduced to a thin layer. A little lacing as it goes down.

This has an interesting aroma. Very RIS like for sure with its roasted malts. A good helping of milk and semi-sweet chocolate are found. Has a sweeter side hiding in there as well. I think there is some hopping goin' on in there that makes this one just a little different. Good though.

Again, the taste is just a little different than what I normally would expect. Dark toasted malts again, some coffee grounds. More bittersweet chocolate now. I think its the hops again that offer up that little bit of unusualness. Solid flavor though.

Good medium to full mouthfeel. A touch of carbonation to add a bite of crispness, but not overly done so it still rolls down smoothly.

A good beer throughout. Solid flavor, aroma and mouthfeel. Easy to drink.

05-16-2007 01:50:36 | More by blitz134
allergictomacros

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Dark/Opaque with a dark creamy head. Not very tall, but certainly thick.

S - Fruity with notes of coffee.

T - Again some coffee, dark roasted malt and a hint of tartness up front. Finish is a solid roasted bitterness with a mild hop.

M - Very low carbonation level, with a thick, rich mouthfeel. Quite dry as well.

D - Very nice, rich beverage. A one-or-two a night beer for me - something to relax with.

04-07-2007 02:21:59 | More by allergictomacros
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

341ml Canadian industry standard bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to grub for this one. I was born in Wellington County and Wellington beers always make me think of where I came from....

When I opened the bottle it made nary a noise, and when poured there was not so much a head as some scant bubbles floating about. Black as sin though, no light pierces this baby. Carbonation must be awfully low, because even a vigorous swirl dosen't make a head erupt. Smell is subdued but there's typical plum, fig, and raisin aromas mixed with a bit of roasted malt and chocolate. Uh oh, there's a bit of soy sauce in there too. Was this bottle not sealed properly? I guess a tasting will tell.

Taste is quite good for the most part. Lots of bitter cocoa roasted malt character with a touch of chocolate sweetness. The dark fruit notes are there, but subdued, and there's also a lactic sourness in the background that I can't quite put my finger on. Bad news is I'm quite sure this bottle's gone bad, the cardboard and soy sauce flavours are in the background, but they're there nonetheless. Add to that the fact that the carbonation is next to dead and it's bad news. Mouthfeel is medium, a bit lighter than the style norm, and the alcohol bites a bit on the way down. All that said, I will review this again sometime with a fresh bottle to compare my notes, but I couldn't have more than one of these since it's already giving me a headache. Very unfortunate.

03-28-2007 02:58:40 | More by trevorwideman
Frozensoul327

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Dark coffee black color with a dense and large head of brown foam. Lots of lace. Medium to medium low levels of carbonation.

S: Mild and reserved notes of roasted malts, sweet chocolate and cocoa, with some bready notes. Not bad, but kind of on the weak side.

T: Rich and dense flavors of java, roasted malts, grain, charcoal and wood with mild notes of hops. Not overly complex, but appropriate for the style.

M: Dense. Heavy. Rich. Very nice, with some mild carbonation hanging around. Similar to syrup, with high viscosity.

D: Fair. A mildly entertaining RIS, but lacks depth and complexity. Perhaps a good starter for the style.

Notes: Speical thanks to biegaman for the sample.

03-03-2007 01:04:30 | More by Frozensoul327
MMansfield

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Got a 341mL from Pootz, thanks.

Appearance: Pours very thick and opaque. Colour of cola, with a small brown head dissolving to a lace ring.

Aroma: Big roasted malt smells. Also, notes of chocolate, molasses & bread.

Taste: Superb! Heavy burnt malt taste with hints of unsweetened chocolate and wood. Very little hop presence, but tastes fantastic with its strong malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: Higher level of carbonation reminds me of a porter, and not as creamy as I expected, but this was my first russian imperial stout.

Final Statement: This was wonderful! I haven't seen a russian imperial stout in Nova Scotia, but I am now about to look for one. I enjoy the style, and I loved this one by Wellington. I have another in a cellar to age.

10-31-2006 20:37:44 | More by MMansfield
grub

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

sampled on cask as part of the volo cask days 2006. thanks to ralph and all involved for putting together an awesome fest.

pours an opaque black colour with a nice dark moderate head.

the aroma is nice. great roastyness balanced with a nice slightly sweet malt background.

taste is good. fairly bitter start. nice malty body. notes of bittersweet chocolate.

mouthfeel is good. a little thinner than expected. slightly astringent.

drinkability is ok. it's nice, but does feel a little off its usual self.

10-22-2006 23:06:47 | More by grub
Sammy

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Not the Iron Duke, rather an experimental template on cask at Volo Cafe Cask Day 2006. A good head, medium mouthfeel, and dry and roasty. Between a stout and a real thick Russian one. Worked on cask for stout fans. Had it on cask again 16 months later and it worked very well.
Four years later at C'est What and still very solid, upgraded mouthfeel.

10-22-2006 13:01:14 | More by Sammy
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

It pours a pitch black color with a very thin head than disappears after a couple of minutes, leaving a black, thick liquid.

Smell is awesome, dark chocolate, molasses, burned notes and something what I would call stock, the stuff you make soup with you know? Also a good malty backbone to support all these heavy smells.This is all very mild and seems to be very balanced.

Taste is hopbitter and malt bitter, all of these "dark" taste like molasses, dark chocolate, burned malts. The tastes leans very heavy on the black/roasted part, and is supported by the malt. None of this comes across as sharp, it is rather mild and very drinkable. Body is pretty thick, but this goes very well with the style.

10-01-2006 08:19:57 | More by Absumaster
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

341ml bottle poured in a pint glass. Very regal looking front label and a nice touch with the picture on the cap. Thanks to Viggo for the brew.

Ebony and opaque. Only a little cola colour shows through the edges when held to the light. Brown head is just a thin cap on the pour, but quickly disappears into a thin ring around the edges and is completely gone by mid-glass.

Aroma is malty, fruity and slightly sweet. Dried fruit, plummy and a little vinuous. Hints of dark roast coffee.

Roasted malt, burnt malt and dark roast coffee at the start with a hint of sweetness. Vinuous quality shows through at the finish with the burnt and bitterness. Aftertaste of bold dark roast coffee.

Mouthfeel isn't as full as I'd expected, but still medium-full bodied. Lightly carbonated. Creamy and very smooth.

Surprisingly drinkable. This brew goes down quite easily, although I don't see it exactly as a session beer. All around a good beer, but lacking some of the forcefulness I've come to expect from an Imperial Stout.

06-06-2006 03:20:43 | More by Noxious26
crwills

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

I've had a lot of these, but this is my last bottle of my current batch. Hope I can find some more, because it's great, and I'm so glad it's local!

Pours pitch black with a big chocolate milk head.

Aroma is chocolate, cappuccino, brown sugar, chocolate covered cherries, and some mild alcohol.

Flavour is excellent, if simple -- dry, bitter chocolate or cocoa, and some bitter hops that balance out the maltiness well.

Super-thick mouthfeel, ear-warming alcohol in there, making the aftertaste somewhat sweet (but mostly pleasant).

My only complaint about this beer is that, for the style, it's not as complex and out there as some of the big name ones from the US. That being said, it's easy to get, and I'll always keep some in stock. Definitely up there with my favourite beers!

05-11-2006 00:58:55 | More by crwills
Orrshow

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Appearance – Black as night with a small amount of light brown head. The head doesn’t retain for long falling into a ring.

Smell – Smells like strong dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. I like what I’m smelling.

Taste – Well the smell just gave away the taste here. Again strong chocolate and coffee bean. So much roasted flavor here as well. It’s good. The finish is slightly bitter, which I like.

Mouthfeel – This beer is a bit thin for what I expect from an Imperial Stout. On top of that the carnonation felt a touch course despite not being that high.

Drinkability – It’s drinkable. There are nice flavors here but the feel it gives isn’t quite what I’m looking for.

I like this beer and because it’s not the best in its style it makes me more optimistic about tasting other Imperials.

04-21-2006 22:12:28 | More by Orrshow
elricorico

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Pours black with a bit of brown around the edges. Had a thin fizzy head that was light brown in colour and didn't stay around for long.

Smell is bitter chocolate with a bit of roasted barley. There is also a bit of liquor smell to it.

The taste has a fair amount of roasted coffee bean and bitter chocolate. Alcohol is apparent, but not strong. It does create a warmth though.

There is some body to this beer and the carbonation is light. I could see just a little more body making it better, though it isn't bad as it is.

Really I'd say this is a very good stout, but as far as an Imperial Stout it hasn't quite reached my hopes. Pretty good, and perhaps the best of the style we can get in Alberta right now, but I know there are better ones out there.

03-21-2006 03:43:08 | More by elricorico
Crosling

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +10%

I usually write and discuss what I think about the appearence and aroma before I even taste the beer, but this just looked so lovely and smelled so nice that I had to sneak a taste. Damn, this straight up rocks. Black with an overflowing, bubbly and rocky head of light tan foam. Liquid smores aromatics with hints of graham crackers, coffee, chocolate and roast along with a suggestion of soy sauce and blackberries. Very rich malts in the flavor with notes of coffee, chocolate, black licorice and dark fruits. Very rich and very flavorful and there are not any rough hops to ruin the lovely malt presence.

03-19-2006 01:47:47 | More by Crosling
funkengruven

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

Black as night, Roasted malt and toffee to the nose that is also presented in the flavor, which is just amazing. As it warms it gets smoother, more pronounced but not overpowering, Very easy going for a strong stout. If you haven't already tried this, try it, you won't be disappointed.

02-12-2006 03:44:11 | More by funkengruven
Cwrw

4.38/5  rDev +12%

Appreciation to 42ndtourist for sending me a bottle of this from Ontario. Classic looking label with the "Iron Duke" portrait on the cap as well. This is definitely one of the most revered beers in Ontario, so my anticipation was high. Poppping the cap gives that lovely malty-milky aroma. This poured impenetrably black, with a soft brown/dark beige head. The head churned very slowly, leaving some very sticky lacing that was lighter in colour. The beer's thickness is clearly evident when held closely to a light--this is extremely hard to see through: only hints of dark mollasses brown near the edges. The head went down to a thinnish layer, with almost red-tinges to the outer bubbles appearing. The carbonation and the foam gets better after a few gentle swirls, and it increased the head's retention; and the lacing then became big sheets screening the glass. Rich, meaty looking stout. The aroma is immediate seasoning salt maltiness, very meat-like, some wood, lactic creaminess, black licorice and mollasses. All in all it is expectedly malty-sweet, but with definining hopiness as well. Nostril-filling smells of pepper, brown sugar, fresh brown bread, root beer, tar, raisins and burt toast, dark bitter chocolate, a jot of charcoal, sweet maple syrup, and a nice lack of any strong alcohol notes. Delectable and appetising. The first characteristic I noticed when I sipped was a little less body than I expected. The taste is all licorice and spicy, leathery malt up front. Wonderful meat and toasted bread in the middle, and the substantial dryness from the hops leaves a definite bittering effect on the palate. There is a little milkiness in the taste, and the phenols can definitely be tasted in the middle of the tongue, albeit not as strongly as some Imperial Stouts. There is much salinity in the taste, especially at the back of the tongue, adding a very strong double-salted licorice flavour. Great sugar-and-butter toast aftertaste. Syrupy carbonation, very slick and oily. The mouthfeel is definitely full, but perhaps not as thick as some Imperials. The ease with which this goes down, with no biting alcohol and no overpowering qualities, renders it extremely drinkable. I paired this with three cheeses: Danish Havarti cheese was somewhat overpowered by the beer; French brie added a touch of metallic sourness; but 3-year Canadian aged cheddar could hold its own, and complemented the sweet maltiness with its sharp pungency. A perfect brew for this cold night, and I wish I had many more for the frost-bitten nights to come. This is one beer from Ontario I wish we could buy here in Alberta. This is a well-balanced Imperial Russian Stout--everything it should be. All the elements mix to create a beautiful alchemical concoction.

11-07-2005 11:56:51 | More by Cwrw
IronDjinn

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Came in a 341 ml brown bottle, portrait of the Iron Duke himself pouting up the label. Pours out opaque black, thin cola hues around the extremities when held to the light, thick, solid tan head which retains for about a minute before dropping to a thin cap. Roasted malt, flaky dark chocolate and coffee grounds greet the nose, dried figs also make an appearance, that's as close as the alcohol content comes to presenting itself. It's a bit boozy up front on the flavour and in the mouthfeel. Thin and vinuous at first, dates and currants, it quickly takes on espresso grounds and roasted malt, and builds up body in the mouthfeel as well, while the vinuous character doesn't disappear entirely, lagging along in the background. The finish is a bold finale of roasted malt and coffee with a thick creamy mouthfeel, it was building up to it all this time, with a denoument of dark chocolate and rum-soaked figs. This is very drinkable for an imperial stout, the alcohol is present but well contained, and the mouthfeel isn't too thin because of the alcohol, but simply builds momentum throughout the sip. Not an overly complex flavour, but robust where it needs to be, it definitely works with what it is. People of Ontario, consider yourselves very lucky to have this available regularly, and although you like to bitch about the selection at the gov't regulated beer outlets you have, this imperial stout is by far one less reason to complain. Big thanks to Phyl21ca for the trade.

09-08-2005 15:59:02 | More by IronDjinn
Viggo

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep black, very opaque, big tan head, lots of lace. Smell is very roasty, coffee and chocolate, dark fruits, some alcohol. Taste is roast coffee, into a chocolate middle, some more dark fruits, dry roasty bitter finish. Medium bodied, carbonation is a little high for the style but its silky smooth and a great beer.

08-19-2005 02:41:30 | More by Viggo
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

A thick black stout, with a nice brownish head that stays it course with the beer. Smell of roasted malt, caramel and chocolate with a tiny touch of coffe. Taste is well balanced, you dont feel that beer is 8%abv actually, some roasted malt aromas, some chocolate finish and a tiny touch of coffee comes tickles your palate. A very well balanced imperial stout.

12-25-2004 04:20:54 | More by 3Vandoo