Mojave Gold - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Mojave GoldMojave Gold

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  4.40% ABV

This is our traditional Pilsner. Mojave Gold is made with two-row malted barley, European Saaz hops, pure artesian spring water and our proprietary strain of yeast. We lager this exquisitely refreshing brew to perfection every time. This is a crisp golden beer that appeals to beer drinkers of all types.

(Beer added by: Boilermaker88 on 09-03-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

I'm not entirely sure that the listing for Indian Wells' Mojave Gold Lager is accurate on BeerAdvocate when put under "Czech Pilsener". Who knows, maybe it is, but I'm so sad to have to compare this to the Czech Pils by Moonlight in San Fran that just blows it out of the water.

That said, the appearance of this is a hazy to clear yellow straw that trends toward gold. I wouldn't label it gold right off the bat. The smell sure isn't gold. Smells like water, BUT - notably for lagers of this taste profile - does NOT smell like corn or sugar or a phony citrus. It's mostly just bland. The taste has a sugary feel - which I assume comes from whatever malts they choose to use. The hops come through with that "triple hops brewed" Miller Lite effect of essentially being washed over your palate with water. There's a touch of a pilsener bite at the back of the palate, and that's about the taste's only redeeming quality.

It feels like a light bodied beer and drinks like one too. Whether or not it fits a style... this one drinks like a Stella/Pilsener Urquell/and Miller Lite mix. And although I got this in a box I was excited to receive as a parting gift from a couple professors in my old department, I'd have to say that this one may not live up to that pleased grin I gave it.

afksports, May 25, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -44.9%

Indian Wells mix pack provided by Bobby.

A: This particular creation pours light golden-straw in color with a short lived white head.

S: Smells almost exclusively like corn. There's something definitely "stale" about it. Some miscellaneous orange peel and perhaps floral notes.

T: Tastes like stale Doritos and puke. Corn and lots of sugary sweetness. Some weird vegetable flavor and lots of metallic character.

M: The body is light with the carbonation on the light end of medium.

D: This one is even worse than the last two.

womencantsail, Feb 21, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -17.3%

Served from the tap at the brewery in a pilsner, this beer was disappointing from the start. The color was lackluster, with no true shine or 'pop.' The beer had the proper amount of carbonation for a Gold, and was not cloudy, but rather dull in color. There was little to no aroma on the beer, and the flavor continued along with the smell. The beer itself was crisp and light on the tongue, which was the perfect consistency for a Gold, but it might as well have been crisp and light water, because there was no flavor to the beer itself. Despite that, there was an aftertaste, which was musty and flat.

Overall, I would not search out this particular beer again. I do enjoy a light beer, especially during warmer seasons, but this brew would not be on my radar again.

GarthDanielson, Nov 12, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods Los Altos.

Pours a pretty clear golden color with a one-finger white head and some lacing.

Aroma is fairly faint with sweet malt, corn, grain, and floral hops.

On the flavor...yep, there's the Indian Wells I know. Pale malt and grain give way to a cornucopia of off-flavors. Cooked corn, vomit, and metals dominate. Finishes with decent floral hops, but that's not enough to save this train wreck. Man, this is foul.

Palate is bad but could be worse. Medium-light body, somewhat astringent.

Drinking enough to get a good review of this was a real struggle. One I would not like to repeat again. Why do I keep buying Indian Wells beers? Well, why do people like walking across hot coals or wearing sleeves with stinging ants woven into them or watching anything on MTV? I'd like to say I'll never buy anything from this brewery again, but we all know that would be a lie. Stay tuned...

Oh yeah, and I really can't believe this beer stood at a C- before I reviewed it. Wow.

nickd717, Feb 21, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Sample at Alan's HSC initation. Bottle from Whole Foods in Henderson, NV. Pours a clear yellow-gold color with a thin and foamy white head that recedes slowly. Stringy lacing. Sweet malt and corn in the nose. Light-bodied and sweet with grainy malt and mild hops flavors. The finish is mildly hoppy with a touch of pepper and spice aftertaste. A below average Pils overall.

Dogbrick, Oct 31, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

My dad brought this beer back from a week long fishing trip. I had high hopes for it, but sadly it did not live up to my pallet... It pretty much tastes like Heineken and Bud Light mixed together. Not something I'd recommend... To be honest this is a pretty horrible beer, and if I wasn't already really drunk I wouldn't be drinking this crap...

noknife83, Jul 30, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +27.2%

A - Hazy, pale golden color with a big, fluffy white head that dies down after a minute. A little bit of lacing.

S - Mostly faint traces of grass, straw, and malt. No hop aroma. Nothing overwhelming here.

T - Very grassy and malty. Has that classic pislner taste, but not a whole lot of flavor. Almost no hop flavor whatsoever.

M/D - What can I say? It's a pislner. Very drinkable. I would have liked some more hop flavor, but I also don't like pislners with too much hop flavor. I really don't think this beer is as bad as some other reviews have made it out to be.

Overall, decent taste, but just a bit on the bland side.

timmah427, Apr 18, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: pale golden yellow in color with a wispy head. Some spotty lacing develops.

Smell: very sweet smelling along with a citrus aroma that is not very pleasant.

Taste: grainy malt base with some grassiness. Very little bitterness here, and the citrus flavors seem a bit strong.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp throughout. Light in body. Aftertaste is short.

Drinkability: the flavor profile is just off style IMHO. The citrus tones are a bit strong too. Avoid this one.

Gavage, Dec 13, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Hazy pale straw with absolutely no head.

A- Grainy malt aroma with the slightest amount of hops.

T- Taste was a bit better than the aroma and appearance. Sortof lemon/citrus sweetness. Almost no bittering.

M- Medium-light body. This beer falls flat!(almost no carbonation)

D- It surprises me that Indian Wells actually sells this beer. It doesn't really seem to follow the style at all, nor is it that good of a beer.

gpogo, Jun 18, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured a slightly cloudy golden color with almost no head or lacing.

Smelled rather weak. Hops were present as well as some sweet malt, but nothing really very appealing.

Tasted somewhat better than it smelled, and better than I was expecting. A bit peppery with some hint of lemon. Still, nothing great going on here.

The mouthfeel was actually pretty decent. Light/medium bodied with a very crisp bite to it at the end.

Other than the mouthfeel there's nothing special going on here. I'm glad I managed to pick a single bottle of this up rather than having to buy a six pack. It's not a terrible beer by any means, there's just dozens and dozens of other beers of this style that are a better choice.

JBogan, May 19, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +14.2%

thanks to tiger88

a - poured a one-finger thick fizzy, off-white head that was gone quickly into my sam adams glass. it left a slight ring throughout. the body was clear and golden.
s - floral hops and a malty sweet aroma like apples.
t - same as above.
m - slightly crisp but too thin.
d - not the worst lager in the world and goes down easily.

GPHarris, Mar 11, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -2.4%

I have been drinking some tasty pilsners of late. This wasn't really one of them

Ok - that starts harsh. It's not the worst, but in a beer where every little flaw is magnified, there are plenty here. It looks like a pilsner should. The aroma is a butterscotch and citrus. The taste highlights the butterscotch. It's kinda of oily - which I didn't like.

Like the previous poster - I got 4 of these as well as 4 each of 2 other Indian Wells beers. I cross my fingers that those are better.

sloejams, Mar 07, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

This is pretty much Budweiser with a Rattlesnake Label. I was not impressed at all with this beer. It is drinkable if you want a macro tasting beer. Not a fan and I wish I didn't have 3 more from the beer of the month club. I only hope the Mojave Red and Lobotomy Bock are better than this.

tiger88, Feb 19, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pint from Naja's Place in Redondo Beach

Pour was a nice golden yellow with a silky white head that stuck around for about twenty minutes

Smell was mainly oats and barley

Taste was nice and smooth, refreshing crisp taste almost comparable to a Heineken or something like that

Could drink a good amount of these, especially during on a hot day

Floydster, Sep 21, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Picked up by a friend who stopped by the Indian Wells Brewery after a trip up to Lake Tahoe. Presented in a 12oz brown bottle.
Poured a hazy straw color with a white head that vanished in less than 30 seconds despite a decent amount of carbonation visible. Looks like a hefeweizen with the head cut off.
Mild fruity aroma. Some citrus fruit notes mild malts.
A light taste of malt with a lemony citrus flavor and easy floral hops taste in the finish. Not all that flavorful.
Feel is crisp, dry and light-bodied. Refreshing.
Overall, this beer has the low ABV% and refreshing quality to be a good session beer. Now it just needs a taste boost to make me want to drink more. An underpowered beer.

Boilermaker88, Sep 03, 2003