Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.
2.04/5  rDev -31.8%

Tried to drink this in the dark so no one could see my shame. Turned on the light briefly to comment on the "look"

L: Coca Cola black, thin bubbles, seems flat, tiniest amount of cola colored lacing
S: The lights are out again.. smells cheap, caramel, nuts, not looking forward to tasting this
T: Thankfully not much going on, seems to get most of its taste from the CO2 - like a seltzer - weird
F: Watery, a bit bitter, flat, no hit of the alcohol
O: Very odd - gross but the alcohol is hidden well - maybe this will be the next 4-loko. Avoid

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark ruby brown with a half finger of khaki colored head. Sub-par retention, leaving behind a broken layer of surface suds and a fair ring around the edges.

Smell - Caramel with light hints of chocolate. Faintly grassy hop character.

Taste - Weaker than the nose would indicate, but follows along the same profile. Fair caramel notes backed by lesser chocolate and a hint of roasted malt. Virtually no hop presence. Finish is a bit watery with light malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium in body with low carbonation. Goes down with a smooth, watery finish.

Overall - How is this beer over 10% ABV? It's watery and relatively bland with no bite from the alcohol. That's the easily the most impressive thing about this beer, because the other aspects are just decent.

2.72/5  rDev -9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours no head on a dark brown body.
The aroma is caramel candy. Nice.
The taste starts mildly sweet with dark fruits, then turns sour to the end.
The texture is crisp and fizzy.
Not a good flavor profile.

4.85/5  rDev +62.2%

This is my favorite bock that I have come across thus far. Really hard to find up in the Northeast, but I had it in Texas and couldn't get enough. It is a little darker and more viscous than most bocks but balances that with a slightly smokey smoothness that just makes it epic.

I prefer darker beers and sweeter beers, so perhaps my pallette gives this brew a little more creedence than others, but if you come across it worth a try for sure, and if you don't like it (comes in a six pack) send me the other five!

2.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Deep black body, with a small, quite coarse tan head, which soon collapses to a coarse collar about the glass walls, scattered thin lacing rings the glass.

Aroma: Sweet, dark caramel, brown sugar, and slight, sweet alcohol comprise the strong, though not unpleasant aroma.

Taste: Opens with dark malt, caramel, brown sugar, and just a hint of alcohol. Considering the high ABV (10.8%), it does not seem warming at all, which I find surprising. Later in the taste, there is a bit of dark fruit, perhaps plum, although quite understated. To me, this seems like an understated Bock, certainly not a Doppelbock.

Mouth feel: Full and soft, with slight stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A mediocre example, alas, which failed to live up to modest expectations.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

Extremely drinkable, I didn't expect the abv to be above 6%. Nice malty taste nothing overwhelming, medium body, slightly oily mouthfeel. Smells slightly alcoholy.

2.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into Indian Wells Brewing pint glass

A: Pours a very dark ruby brown with a moderate amount of mocha colored head that fades

S: A little coffee, some dark malt sweetness, a little dried fruit, plum maybe

T: Very light coffee, a little toffee/caramel roasted malt sweetness, some kinda mineral water like bite, a little booze as it warms

M: Light to medium body, moderate carbonation

O: Nothing super special to write home about, but not totally undrinkable. I'd be shocked if it was really 10%.

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle pour at Field Of Drafts held at The Hanger in Lancaster, CA.

Pours a clear brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and caramel aromas. Taste is much the same with grain and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with and almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing too exciting.

2.91/5  rDev -2.7%

This is a hard beer to review and that is why I choose this to be my first review. I had high hopes for the Lobotomy Bock. The first one I had was marginal, but it was also one of the first few beers I ever had that strayed from the American Pilsner route. I had one and didnt give it much thought afterwards. Now a few years later, I picked up a case at the local Calandros.

The first beer of the case, I served in a glass from the bottle. The pour was acceptable, with a thin head. The color was a dark brown with a strong hint of golden red. I didnt have much time to admire the aesthetics though, because after a few years I was eager to drink up. The first taste that hit my palette was something I would rarely use in a beer description, Worcestershire. The taste I later refined down to a unique blend of smokey malts and cola. The first glass I had, was mediocre. But I would never leave a 6 pack with only one missing from the slot.

Over the next week I had a few more, until half-way through the case, the taste began to make sense. When I was trying to enjoy it as a normal Bock the flavor was too complex until I understood the cola additions. The beer felt weaker than expected for such a strong taste, and I am beginning to doubt the listed ABV. I still have a few left in the case and I am nervous about whether the next drink will be better, or if the tastes will be incoherent.

Overall - The best way to describe this drink is like a Mona Vie. It is not a drink for everyone, and many might find it down right disgusting at first, but after a few you will find yourself craving one every now and then. My recommendation is to try some other drinks first, but if you elect to buy a case, make sure you have more than just one. This beer takes some sophistication (possibly more than I currently have.)

2.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One finger of dark, tan head rests firmly atop this dark brow brew. A sliver of crimson wraps around the edges.

Smell is promising with rich milk chocolate, black licorice and a pan full of fresh baked banana bread.

Tastes of dark chocolate up front and little else until a focused retry reveals a bit of grape candy and subtle hops.

The body is light and crackery with a surprisingly small amount of alcohol heat noticed despite the ABV. If I would have guessed blind I would have said 5-6%*.

Not a lot going on with this one, and not much else to say.

* I did not read the previous review beforehand, but this is the most obvious quality of this beer.

2.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: A handsome color when poured; appears black but is a dark blood crimson under light.

S: Smells like a red lager, similar smell to Mojave Red. I really had to shove my face in the glass to get a good whiff. Some caramel and nutty notes.

T: Pleasant, light taste--similar to the Mojave Red. Not very flavorful and residual flavors leave the mouth quickly. Uncomplicated flavors, watered down. Unoffensive, mildly pleasant aftertaste.

M: Lobotomy Bock is a thin beer with a bland mouth-feel.

O: Unimpressive Bock that has tons of potential. Firstly, you'd never guess that Lobotomy is 10.8%. It tastes like a 4-5% brew--although I guess this is a plus for some. Mouth-feel and taste are forgetful. Lobotomy is too filtered and restrained for its own good. If I had to describe this brew in one word it would be "withdrawn". It has a lot less personality than I was expecting and I predict it will speak to very few individuals.

1.08/5  rDev -63.9%

An all around horrible beer. It has a strange grittiness to it, light alchohol and some oxidation. Claims to adhere to reinheitsgebot but i taste some additions in here. Interesting to know what their interpretation of reinheitsgebot is.

Boozy, caramely warm aftertaste. Thin off white head that quickly fades to a snapping beer. Too many things going on, i like my doppelbocks simpler.

Wouldn't buy again

1.48/5  rDev -50.5%

It's almost hard for me to believe this is a 10.5 ABV beer.... At first, the pour into the glass seems to nice.... That is, until you realize there isn't much head or body to it.... Though it's a dark beer, it doesn't have that deep of a taste to it.... Pretty bland characteristics.... I tried the Indian Wells "Insomnia IPA", and again, I wasn't too impressed with it's lack of hoppiness.... I'm still waiting to find a beer from this brewery that I fully enjoy.

3.94/5  rDev +31.8%

I like the lobotomy bock, not to harsh, smooth, taste great! I found this at Central Market HEB in San Antonio, Tx. I was looking for Lobo Bock which is a Texas double bock but they are still a small brewery so when I came across this I was continent and have been on the lobotomy kick since!

2.06/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well-marketed: Seeing the label, knowing that I like doppelbocks, 10.8%!! This should be great

Potential: Looks pretty good when poured into the glass. Decent head. Good dark ruby color.

Taste: What is this? Some blend of cola, dunkel beer, and water? No hops flavor. Mild malty tastes. It was a disappointment. I begin to doubt your commitment to the doppelbock name. 10.8% are you sure? Anything that strong leaves a different mouth-feel.

Residual Effect: I have 5 more of these in the fridge. What to do with them?

The doppelbock I made with a Mr. Beer kit was better than this, but it was very clean/smooth tasting. Not at all bitter.

2.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Lobotomy Bock has a medium, beige head and a clear, brown (ruby red under light) appearance. Lacing is minimal. The aroma is quite faint, but a bit of sweet bread can be detected. Taste is a touch smokey, sweet, lightly chocolaty, a bit of coffee, and mostly just nothing, really. No hop bitterness is present. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, and Lobotomy Bock finishes like tap water. It’s hard to believe such a drink could have a 10.8% alcohol level. I found this only ordinary. Avoid.

2.85/5  rDev -4.7%

This is a very mediocre, uninteresting beer that does not even seem like a bock, much less a doppelbock. It seems more like a boring, pedestrian version of a dunkel. In fact, I find it impossible to believe that this is actually anything close to the 10.5% abv stated here, but I have no personal knowledge of the abv.

Almost black, it has a big tan head steadily shrinking to a foamy ring and a little foamy lace.

Aroma is strong caramelised toasty barley and winey prunes.

Taste is dryish singed leaves, roasted barley, vague caramelly prunes, a little mineral. It is watery and thin in feel and character. Although reasonably enjoyable, it is thin, one-dimensional, exceedingly boring, and, as noted, really only like a slightly stronger dunkel in character.

When I drank this, I thought it was supposed to be a regular (not doppel) bock, and quickly determined that it could not fit that category. Any claim that this is supposed to be a doppelbock is incredible. That said, this is enjoyable enough to drink and warrant somewhat decent ratings from me. If I were to score this strictly as a doppelbock, the score would be far lower, but that is not my way, and I only factor the style in as one element.

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark black color with few highlights and a tight mocha colored head. Frankly, it's pretty inspiring, and leaves a solid foam down the glass. Of course, I wonder about it being called a bock, with a color such as this.

Nose is quite malty, roasted notes as well as toasted nuts and a hint of fruits. Flavor strongly favors malts, like roasted fruit. It's a very strange flavor, moderately unpleasant but interesting in a scientific sort of way. Dark. Offer and chocolate roasted notes up front with a cherry candy filling flavor creeping in the back.

Body is weak for a stout but thick for a bock. No idea what style they were shooting for here, but they got a real mixup on their hands.

1.98/5  rDev -33.8%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark raisin brown with a thick, dense, dark tan head that took its time to fade into a thick and fuzzy film that left almost no lace.
S: I get light notes of sweet caramel, roasted malts, toffee and maybe some brownish sugar. There’s something spritzy in there as well that doesn’t quite smell right.
T: If the nose smelled ok then the flavor tastes bad. The flavor is very plan and bland, and the dominating notes are seltzer water mixed with caramel syrup. The finish is a bit nutty. Soda-like overall.
M: The body is on the light side of medium with fizzy carbonation. The mouthfeel is tingly and thin.
O: This is pretty awful stuff. Drinkable yes, but I’d rather just drink a soda.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

A: looks more like a stout or a schwarbier, deep brown with a little ruby highlight when see trough light, there is no head at all, dissipates so quickly

S: the smell is not bad, corresponding with the style its not very common, chocolate, coffe, no caramel at all

T: deep flavour to chocolate, altough is a little crispy on tongue, the alcohol presence is not noticed at all, medium body, strange taste for a doppelbock

3.05/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to my neighbor Andrew for picking this up for me while in CA.

This pours medium brown with dark highlights and a small head that doesn't leave any lace. On the nose there is rich caramel malt, some esters further back, and caramelized raisins or some such. In the mouth those same flavors come out. This is not a complex beer. It's pretty much heavy on the caramel malt and toasted bread with just a bit of phenol mixed in, no surprise given the weight. The body is quite thin for the style, and the finish didn't do anything strange.

Overall, I was happy to try this but glad I had just a few bottles. It's strange and not really up to doppelbock snuff for me.

2.18/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours a mix of brown and light black, super thin, 1/16" head, dissipates into nothingness. Aroma of raisins, prunes and alcohol, oh so much alcohol.

More alcohol, some varnish, kinda thin malt wise, heavy alcohol wise. Bad dark fruit taste. Lots of sweetness coming from somewhere. A weird rubbery burnt aspect to the beer, nothing like a rauchbier or the aroma of burnt rubber you'll get in some gueuze. Kind of weird to have this much bitterness in a beer that isn't hoppy at all, much less in a style like a doppelbock.

Never been a fan of this brewery, this just isn't my kind of style of beer, but even stuff I like, these guys haven't been able to fit it in an appreciable way for my palate.

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Served in a pilsner glass. Looks like a glass of Dr. Pepper, very dark with a finger thin line of head that quickly disipates.

Smells roasted, almost charred. A little nutty with a molasses finish.

I must agree with Nerudamann on this one. Roasty malts and molasses with a bitter initial hit.

Mouth feel is tricky. The bitter taste up front almost makes you think it is medium to medium heavy bodied but swill it around a second and you realize its actually almost light. Once again its almost cola-esque. Medium carbonation, very little alcohol taste.

Overall not a bad beer. Like many others on here I don't think I could drink this alone all night, (and with so many fine brews out there who would?) but I would definately drink the whole bottle.

2.09/5  rDev -30.1%

The first thing I noticed about this beer is how extremely dark it is. This beer is darker than most stouts. When poured into a glass, I noticed an excess of head and lace. The beer's aroma is of charcoal and burnt malt. The taste of charcoal and malt are a bit overpowering and actually degrade from the overall taste of this beer. I wanted to like this beer, but I am a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Looks like a black lager with an off-white head.
Smells of roasted malts with hint of espresso.
Taste like flat watered down coffee.
mouthfeel is light to medium body.
Overall, just an average beer. The brewmaster needs to realize that making beer that taste like a bad homebrew doesn't belong on the market.

Lobotomy Bock from Indian Wells Brewing Company