Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

rAvg: 3
Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by TeeCee:
TeeCee

Louisiana

2.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Quick review: it's rather porterish for a bock or any beer for that matter. Doppelbock is my favorite style, and this ain't it. In any case, I rated this beer on its own merits, not the label on the bottle.

This is available in six packs locally right about now. I don't remember seeing it until recently. I poured it into an American style pint glass, producing ~1" of creamy brown head, quickly disipating to about 1/8", leaving no traces. The body is a dark reddish brown, transparent at the edges (no signs of any cloudiness), with light coming through only about the lower half of the glass. No nucleation whatsoever (a recently used and rinsed glass - surprise! this isn't my first beer today).

It smells old, roasted, raisiny, and chocolaty. Following the style, no signs of hops in the nose.

The taste is rather porterish. There's a smoky flavor there that seems like a cross between a porter and a rauchbier with the spice I often notice in a porter (I'm beginning to think that's due to the roasted malts - someone help me here), and a bitterness on the tale end likely due to the roasted malts and some hops. This isn't making me think Doppelbock in any way. Finally, while it's smoky, it doesn't have that rauchbier bacon flavor to it.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the supposed style (Doppelbock), but seems appropriate for what I'm tasting. Maybe it's the ABV (10%). I get no fizz initially, but I get a mouthful if I swish it.

I could drink a few of these if I liked it more. I'd say it's sessionable if you like it and can stand up after a few 12 oz 10% ABV beers.

06-28-2009 01:57:12 | More by TeeCee

Booner818

11-17-2013 21:34:13 | More by Booner818
UCLABrewN84

3.03/5  rDev +1%

Bottle pour at Field Of Drafts held at The Hanger in Lancaster, CA.

Pours a clear brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and caramel aromas. Taste is much the same with grain and caramel flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with and almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing too exciting.

11-11-2013 04:43:29 | More by UCLABrewN84

09-25-2013 00:00:02 | More by Jame515
BasilBock

Louisiana

2.94/5  rDev -2%

This is a hard beer to review and that is why I choose this to be my first review. I had high hopes for the Lobotomy Bock. The first one I had was marginal, but it was also one of the first few beers I ever had that strayed from the American Pilsner route. I had one and didnt give it much thought afterwards. Now a few years later, I picked up a case at the local Calandros.

The first beer of the case, I served in a glass from the bottle. The pour was acceptable, with a thin head. The color was a dark brown with a strong hint of golden red. I didnt have much time to admire the aesthetics though, because after a few years I was eager to drink up. The first taste that hit my palette was something I would rarely use in a beer description, Worcestershire. The taste I later refined down to a unique blend of smokey malts and cola. The first glass I had, was mediocre. But I would never leave a 6 pack with only one missing from the slot.

Over the next week I had a few more, until half-way through the case, the taste began to make sense. When I was trying to enjoy it as a normal Bock the flavor was too complex until I understood the cola additions. The beer felt weaker than expected for such a strong taste, and I am beginning to doubt the listed ABV. I still have a few left in the case and I am nervous about whether the next drink will be better, or if the tastes will be incoherent.

Overall - The best way to describe this drink is like a Mona Vie. It is not a drink for everyone, and many might find it down right disgusting at first, but after a few you will find yourself craving one every now and then. My recommendation is to try some other drinks first, but if you elect to buy a case, make sure you have more than just one. This beer takes some sophistication (possibly more than I currently have.)

08-31-2013 18:47:00 | More by BasilBock
stephens101

Oklahoma

2.88/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

One finger of dark, tan head rests firmly atop this dark brow brew. A sliver of crimson wraps around the edges.

Smell is promising with rich milk chocolate, black licorice and a pan full of fresh baked banana bread.

Tastes of dark chocolate up front and little else until a focused retry reveals a bit of grape candy and subtle hops.

The body is light and crackery with a surprisingly small amount of alcohol heat noticed despite the ABV. If I would have guessed blind I would have said 5-6%*.

Not a lot going on with this one, and not much else to say.

* I did not read the previous review beforehand, but this is the most obvious quality of this beer.

08-12-2013 23:50:11 | More by stephens101