Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004)
Reviews by charlzm:
3.88/5  rDev +28.1%

Consumed June 23rd, 2010. Bottle obtained directly from brewery on May 30th, 2010. Consumed in "special" Samuel Adams glass.

Beer is a clear, dark cola color with mahogany highlights. Very fine tan head (I swear it had a greenish tinge to it) subsides to a uniformly sticky, coating skin of foam in very short order. Subdued though still present carbonation apparent in glass.

Aroma is sweet cane sugar and moderately roasted malt. A touch of smoke and vanilla as well.

I was shocked to have an Indian Wells beer that had no flaws! It has a mild, English brown flavor (think Newcastle, but more subdued) that mirrors the nose but with more maltiness. Nowhere near world class, but nothing wrong with this one. Alcohol slightly noticeable, but not a problem. Only a faint dash of bitterness and fleeting mineral water on the finish.

Beer is slightly thick and creamy in the mouth.

The most drinkable beer from Indian Wells I've tried so far; in the greater world, a mediocre example of the style, But for IW, a triumph!

charlzm, Jun 24, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance – This one is darkish brown in color with a solid brown, foamy head. It came up nicely but didn’t last long.

Smell – The big, strong, alcoholic smell took over this brew. The malts are heavily toasted with some light sugars, but this is a booze hound.

Taste – This one is much lighter at the taste. There’s a funny bittersweet flavor here that confuses the taste buds. I like the dark, unsweetened date and prune notes, but that’s about it.

Mouthfeel – A 10+ ABV Doppelbock that’s light in the ass? Yes, this one is almost light-bodied with some clumsy bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability – This is a wacky, off-style Doppelbock that some will love for the high ABV.

RoyalT, Nov 02, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

tbryan5, Feb 03, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

achilles2k, Aug 15, 2014

locckdown, Mar 24, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -29%

Pours a mix of brown and light black, super thin, 1/16" head, dissipates into nothingness. Aroma of raisins, prunes and alcohol, oh so much alcohol.

More alcohol, some varnish, kinda thin malt wise, heavy alcohol wise. Bad dark fruit taste. Lots of sweetness coming from somewhere. A weird rubbery burnt aspect to the beer, nothing like a rauchbier or the aroma of burnt rubber you'll get in some gueuze. Kind of weird to have this much bitterness in a beer that isn't hoppy at all, much less in a style like a doppelbock.

Never been a fan of this brewery, this just isn't my kind of style of beer, but even stuff I like, these guys haven't been able to fit it in an appreciable way for my palate.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 27, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured into a pint glass black with little to no head. Smell has some rasted malt and bread notes. Taste??? What taste??? Whoever catagoried this as a doppelbock was wrong. I would barely call this a bock. The mouthfeel is a joke, way too watered down. And 10.5%? I forced down the entire glass and I don't feel any kind of buzz what so ever like I should from 10.5%.

This beer really is like a bad joke, because it is nothing like it is advertised.

whoneeds8, May 15, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +13.2%

Medium sized light brown head dies into a kinda weak lacing above a clear very dark brown beer.

A very light sweet caramel malt aroma on this medium bodied beer.

Light grapes on a caramel malt taste leaving a light dry aftertaste.

Kinda a weird little taste to this beer but that not necessarily a bad thing, I kinda liked it for a one shot type drink, can't say I'd like to drink a six pack in one sitting.

LXIXME, Sep 07, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +12.2%

One of the darkest doppelbock's I've ever seen. Lobotomy pours almost stout dark with ruby amber highlights and not much of a chance for light to pass through. The head is khaki and thin but doesn't last as long as I'd prefer.

The nose is very well done. There is a prominent sweet malt with nothing even close to smelling like a hop. There is also aged dried fruits in the raisin family peaking through the cloud of grain. Again I am reminded of stouts with the thick sweet smells.

I find the characteristics in the scent falters in the flavor department. The result is a thinned musty malt flavor and a over all watered down feeling. Even the slight presence of those dark fruits are thinned and muted.

The mouthfeel has a metallic twang to it and also has a crisp dryness. The beer coats your mouth in the finish and the feeling reminds me of eating that thick greek yogurt. As a whole I don't think this a bad beer but it isn't great. I find myself bored halfway through the glass and not really interested in any more.

jbphoto88, Aug 23, 2009

ste5venla, Oct 31, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +15.5%

Qabil, Oct 07, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -20.8%

There really isn't much to say about this beer.
For a very high ABV, it comes across as very, VERY subdued.

The flavor is only mildly malty...missing lots of the good dark malt sugars I like to find in a bock. Aroma is also a very subdued version of dark amber malts.

Alcohol presence is non-existent in the taste.
On the bright side, it leaves your mouth clean with no aftertaste.

IntriqKen, Feb 23, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz single, courtesy of IrishSnake and the phenomenal "These go to Eleven; A Bif"

appearance: pours into a snifter...clear glowing amber body, light beige head with little retention...pretty nice lacing

smell: big malty aroma, brown sugar, fair amount of smooth booze on the nose...lightly toasted, big gummy caramel aroma

taste: I am hoping this is not really an attempt at a doppelbock (and I dont think it really is)...tastes more like a boozed up bock bock to me. very smooth brown sugar - malt structure, pretty one dimensional in that aspect though

mouthfeel: smooth, abv is rather smooth and not abrasive as well, medium body

drinkability: fine

dirtylou, Nov 07, 2006

jheezee, Dec 08, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods - Los Altos. OK, I'll try not to let the fact that this is an Indian Wells beer influence me here.

Pours clear dark reddish-brown with a one-finger light beige head. Looks good enough.

Aroma is roasty and smoky with caramel and a strange dirty/acrid note. Good in a way and bad in another. Definitely some kind of flaw in there.

Flavor starts off decent with caramel malt and smoke. Then it goes south like a migrating bird in the fall. Cooked veggies and acrid flavors take over and dominate on the finish.

Medium-light body for the style and somewhat flat and boring on the palate. Somewhat astringent.

This is really not very drinkable at all. Drain pour in the end - didn't feel like wasting my sobriety on a shitty beer that's almost 11% ABV. I can't believe this is rated overall as an above-average doppelbock. I really don't want to know what a below-average one is.

nickd717, Feb 19, 2010

Very drinkable, with dark chocolate notes.

Travix1516, Sep 14, 2014
3.03/5  rDev 0%

This is the same beer as Fireman's Brew Brewnette. They are both made in Indian Wells, both claim the same 10.8 percent abv, and both beer reviews have the same claim that no hint of the alcohol is present. I wonder if that's because it's not there. I've drunk down 2 in less than 30 minutes and felt no residual effect. That's the equivalent of kicking me into above .08 bac and not feeling it. With all that said, it's vaguely enjoyable, finished dry and cocoa-ish.

WestValleyIPA, Apr 16, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

poured from a 12 oz bottle to a glass mug the liquid is a nice clear dark brow with ok carbonation. The head is smallish, off white and leaves little lace.

The smell is ok, dark fruits, and caramel, with a chocolate note.

The taste is ok as well pretty straight forward DB, dark fruit and caramel malt lacks toastiness.

The mouthfeel is off, extra thin body and mild carbonation adds to a watery feel.

The drinkability is what I would expect from BMC not a craft beer or recommended, The name and lable were the best part. This brew could use a bit of tweaking.

MK

MuenchenerKindl, Aug 31, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Quick review: it's rather porterish for a bock or any beer for that matter. Doppelbock is my favorite style, and this ain't it. In any case, I rated this beer on its own merits, not the label on the bottle.

This is available in six packs locally right about now. I don't remember seeing it until recently. I poured it into an American style pint glass, producing ~1" of creamy brown head, quickly disipating to about 1/8", leaving no traces. The body is a dark reddish brown, transparent at the edges (no signs of any cloudiness), with light coming through only about the lower half of the glass. No nucleation whatsoever (a recently used and rinsed glass - surprise! this isn't my first beer today).

It smells old, roasted, raisiny, and chocolaty. Following the style, no signs of hops in the nose.

The taste is rather porterish. There's a smoky flavor there that seems like a cross between a porter and a rauchbier with the spice I often notice in a porter (I'm beginning to think that's due to the roasted malts - someone help me here), and a bitterness on the tale end likely due to the roasted malts and some hops. This isn't making me think Doppelbock in any way. Finally, while it's smoky, it doesn't have that rauchbier bacon flavor to it.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the supposed style (Doppelbock), but seems appropriate for what I'm tasting. Maybe it's the ABV (10%). I get no fizz initially, but I get a mouthful if I swish it.

I could drink a few of these if I liked it more. I'd say it's sessionable if you like it and can stand up after a few 12 oz 10% ABV beers.

TeeCee, Jun 28, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours dark brown with a thin but lingering sand colored head. Light aroma of raisin bread. Tastes surprisingly bland. Maybe just a hint of coffee with sugar (I prefer mine black), with an aftertaste that wavers between sweet and bitter without ever settling into a pleasant balance. Mouthfeel is thin and watery and the 10.5% ABV touted on the label is virtually undetectable. Not as enjoyable as I had hoped.

Rzzzzz, Mar 30, 2008
2.94/5  rDev -3%

This is a hard beer to review and that is why I choose this to be my first review. I had high hopes for the Lobotomy Bock. The first one I had was marginal, but it was also one of the first few beers I ever had that strayed from the American Pilsner route. I had one and didnt give it much thought afterwards. Now a few years later, I picked up a case at the local Calandros.

The first beer of the case, I served in a glass from the bottle. The pour was acceptable, with a thin head. The color was a dark brown with a strong hint of golden red. I didnt have much time to admire the aesthetics though, because after a few years I was eager to drink up. The first taste that hit my palette was something I would rarely use in a beer description, Worcestershire. The taste I later refined down to a unique blend of smokey malts and cola. The first glass I had, was mediocre. But I would never leave a 6 pack with only one missing from the slot.

Over the next week I had a few more, until half-way through the case, the taste began to make sense. When I was trying to enjoy it as a normal Bock the flavor was too complex until I understood the cola additions. The beer felt weaker than expected for such a strong taste, and I am beginning to doubt the listed ABV. I still have a few left in the case and I am nervous about whether the next drink will be better, or if the tastes will be incoherent.

Overall - The best way to describe this drink is like a Mona Vie. It is not a drink for everyone, and many might find it down right disgusting at first, but after a few you will find yourself craving one every now and then. My recommendation is to try some other drinks first, but if you elect to buy a case, make sure you have more than just one. This beer takes some sophistication (possibly more than I currently have.)

BasilBock, Aug 31, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Beermasterjarrett, Apr 02, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Booner818, Nov 17, 2013
1.06/5  rDev -65%

An all around horrible beer. It has a strange grittiness to it, light alchohol and some oxidation. Claims to adhere to reinheitsgebot but i taste some additions in here. Interesting to know what their interpretation of reinheitsgebot is.

Boozy, caramely warm aftertaste. Thin off white head that quickly fades to a snapping beer. Too many things going on, i like my doppelbocks simpler.

Wouldn't buy again