Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.
to view more.
Ratings: 187 | Reviews: 101
Reviews by drunkboxer1:
3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Got a six pack of these because they were cheap for a doppelbock and the artwork looked foxy as hell. Poured them into a pint glass each time and the head never stuck around, regardless of how hard i poured it. Smelled ok, like a bock. Tasted thin, really thin for such a big (alcoholwise, stylewise) beer. The mouthfeel was thin and it just didnt have the malt backbone the style demands. Probably won't get this guy again. Although, it did hide the alcohol shockingly well.

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance – This one is darkish brown in color with a solid brown, foamy head. It came up nicely but didn’t last long.

Smell – The big, strong, alcoholic smell took over this brew. The malts are heavily toasted with some light sugars, but this is a booze hound.

Taste – This one is much lighter at the taste. There’s a funny bittersweet flavor here that confuses the taste buds. I like the dark, unsweetened date and prune notes, but that’s about it.

Mouthfeel – A 10+ ABV Doppelbock that’s light in the ass? Yes, this one is almost light-bodied with some clumsy bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability – This is a wacky, off-style Doppelbock that some will love for the high ABV.

2.18/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a mix of brown and light black, super thin, 1/16" head, dissipates into nothingness. Aroma of raisins, prunes and alcohol, oh so much alcohol.

More alcohol, some varnish, kinda thin malt wise, heavy alcohol wise. Bad dark fruit taste. Lots of sweetness coming from somewhere. A weird rubbery burnt aspect to the beer, nothing like a rauchbier or the aroma of burnt rubber you'll get in some gueuze. Kind of weird to have this much bitterness in a beer that isn't hoppy at all, much less in a style like a doppelbock.

Never been a fan of this brewery, this just isn't my kind of style of beer, but even stuff I like, these guys haven't been able to fit it in an appreciable way for my palate.

2.39/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into a pint glass black with little to no head. Smell has some rasted malt and bread notes. Taste??? What taste??? Whoever catagoried this as a doppelbock was wrong. I would barely call this a bock. The mouthfeel is a joke, way too watered down. And 10.5%? I forced down the entire glass and I don't feel any kind of buzz what so ever like I should from 10.5%.

This beer really is like a bad joke, because it is nothing like it is advertised.

3.41/5  rDev +11.8%

Medium sized light brown head dies into a kinda weak lacing above a clear very dark brown beer.

A very light sweet caramel malt aroma on this medium bodied beer.

Light grapes on a caramel malt taste leaving a light dry aftertaste.

Kinda a weird little taste to this beer but that not necessarily a bad thing, I kinda liked it for a one shot type drink, can't say I'd like to drink a six pack in one sitting.

3.45/5  rDev +13.1%

One of the darkest doppelbock's I've ever seen. Lobotomy pours almost stout dark with ruby amber highlights and not much of a chance for light to pass through. The head is khaki and thin but doesn't last as long as I'd prefer.

The nose is very well done. There is a prominent sweet malt with nothing even close to smelling like a hop. There is also aged dried fruits in the raisin family peaking through the cloud of grain. Again I am reminded of stouts with the thick sweet smells.

I find the characteristics in the scent falters in the flavor department. The result is a thinned musty malt flavor and a over all watered down feeling. Even the slight presence of those dark fruits are thinned and muted.

The mouthfeel has a metallic twang to it and also has a crisp dryness. The beer coats your mouth in the finish and the feeling reminds me of eating that thick greek yogurt. As a whole I don't think this a bad beer but it isn't great. I find myself bored halfway through the glass and not really interested in any more.

2.41/5  rDev -21%

There really isn't much to say about this beer.
For a very high ABV, it comes across as very, VERY subdued.

The flavor is only mildly malty...missing lots of the good dark malt sugars I like to find in a bock. Aroma is also a very subdued version of dark amber malts.

Alcohol presence is non-existent in the taste.
On the bright side, it leaves your mouth clean with no aftertaste.

3.33/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz single, courtesy of IrishSnake and the phenomenal "These go to Eleven; A Bif"

appearance: pours into a snifter...clear glowing amber body, light beige head with little retention...pretty nice lacing

smell: big malty aroma, brown sugar, fair amount of smooth booze on the nose...lightly toasted, big gummy caramel aroma

taste: I am hoping this is not really an attempt at a doppelbock (and I dont think it really is)...tastes more like a boozed up bock bock to me. very smooth brown sugar - malt structure, pretty one dimensional in that aspect though

mouthfeel: smooth, abv is rather smooth and not abrasive as well, medium body

drinkability: fine

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods - Los Altos. OK, I'll try not to let the fact that this is an Indian Wells beer influence me here.

Pours clear dark reddish-brown with a one-finger light beige head. Looks good enough.

Aroma is roasty and smoky with caramel and a strange dirty/acrid note. Good in a way and bad in another. Definitely some kind of flaw in there.

Flavor starts off decent with caramel malt and smoke. Then it goes south like a migrating bird in the fall. Cooked veggies and acrid flavors take over and dominate on the finish.

Medium-light body for the style and somewhat flat and boring on the palate. Somewhat astringent.

This is really not very drinkable at all. Drain pour in the end - didn't feel like wasting my sobriety on a shitty beer that's almost 11% ABV. I can't believe this is rated overall as an above-average doppelbock. I really don't want to know what a below-average one is.

Very drinkable, with dark chocolate notes.

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

This is the same beer as Fireman's Brew Brewnette. They are both made in Indian Wells, both claim the same 10.8 percent abv, and both beer reviews have the same claim that no hint of the alcohol is present. I wonder if that's because it's not there. I've drunk down 2 in less than 30 minutes and felt no residual effect. That's the equivalent of kicking me into above .08 bac and not feeling it. With all that said, it's vaguely enjoyable, finished dry and cocoa-ish.

3.18/5  rDev +4.3%

poured from a 12 oz bottle to a glass mug the liquid is a nice clear dark brow with ok carbonation. The head is smallish, off white and leaves little lace.

The smell is ok, dark fruits, and caramel, with a chocolate note.

The taste is ok as well pretty straight forward DB, dark fruit and caramel malt lacks toastiness.

The mouthfeel is off, extra thin body and mild carbonation adds to a watery feel.

The drinkability is what I would expect from BMC not a craft beer or recommended, The name and lable were the best part. This brew could use a bit of tweaking.

MK

2.86/5  rDev -6.2%

Quick review: it's rather porterish for a bock or any beer for that matter. Doppelbock is my favorite style, and this ain't it. In any case, I rated this beer on its own merits, not the label on the bottle.

This is available in six packs locally right about now. I don't remember seeing it until recently. I poured it into an American style pint glass, producing ~1" of creamy brown head, quickly disipating to about 1/8", leaving no traces. The body is a dark reddish brown, transparent at the edges (no signs of any cloudiness), with light coming through only about the lower half of the glass. No nucleation whatsoever (a recently used and rinsed glass - surprise! this isn't my first beer today).

It smells old, roasted, raisiny, and chocolaty. Following the style, no signs of hops in the nose.

The taste is rather porterish. There's a smoky flavor there that seems like a cross between a porter and a rauchbier with the spice I often notice in a porter (I'm beginning to think that's due to the roasted malts - someone help me here), and a bitterness on the tale end likely due to the roasted malts and some hops. This isn't making me think Doppelbock in any way. Finally, while it's smoky, it doesn't have that rauchbier bacon flavor to it.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for the supposed style (Doppelbock), but seems appropriate for what I'm tasting. Maybe it's the ABV (10%). I get no fizz initially, but I get a mouthful if I swish it.

I could drink a few of these if I liked it more. I'd say it's sessionable if you like it and can stand up after a few 12 oz 10% ABV beers.

2.61/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours dark brown with a thin but lingering sand colored head. Light aroma of raisin bread. Tastes surprisingly bland. Maybe just a hint of coffee with sugar (I prefer mine black), with an aftertaste that wavers between sweet and bitter without ever settling into a pleasant balance. Mouthfeel is thin and watery and the 10.5% ABV touted on the label is virtually undetectable. Not as enjoyable as I had hoped.

2.91/5  rDev -4.6%

This is a hard beer to review and that is why I choose this to be my first review. I had high hopes for the Lobotomy Bock. The first one I had was marginal, but it was also one of the first few beers I ever had that strayed from the American Pilsner route. I had one and didnt give it much thought afterwards. Now a few years later, I picked up a case at the local Calandros.

The first beer of the case, I served in a glass from the bottle. The pour was acceptable, with a thin head. The color was a dark brown with a strong hint of golden red. I didnt have much time to admire the aesthetics though, because after a few years I was eager to drink up. The first taste that hit my palette was something I would rarely use in a beer description, Worcestershire. The taste I later refined down to a unique blend of smokey malts and cola. The first glass I had, was mediocre. But I would never leave a 6 pack with only one missing from the slot.

Over the next week I had a few more, until half-way through the case, the taste began to make sense. When I was trying to enjoy it as a normal Bock the flavor was too complex until I understood the cola additions. The beer felt weaker than expected for such a strong taste, and I am beginning to doubt the listed ABV. I still have a few left in the case and I am nervous about whether the next drink will be better, or if the tastes will be incoherent.

Overall - The best way to describe this drink is like a Mona Vie. It is not a drink for everyone, and many might find it down right disgusting at first, but after a few you will find yourself craving one every now and then. My recommendation is to try some other drinks first, but if you elect to buy a case, make sure you have more than just one. This beer takes some sophistication (possibly more than I currently have.)

1.08/5  rDev -64.6%

An all around horrible beer. It has a strange grittiness to it, light alchohol and some oxidation. Claims to adhere to reinheitsgebot but i taste some additions in here. Interesting to know what their interpretation of reinheitsgebot is.

Boozy, caramely warm aftertaste. Thin off white head that quickly fades to a snapping beer. Too many things going on, i like my doppelbocks simpler.

Wouldn't buy again

3.57/5  rDev +17%

Appearance- Pours a clear, deep mohogany with some dark ruby highlights. Very pretty.
the head is light beige head with very little retention and just a hint of lacing.

Aroma- Lots of malt sweetness with a big malty aroma. Hints of brown sugar and caramel; very inviting.

Taste- Nice mix of malt sweetness, maltiness, and just enough bittering hops to let you know it's a beer. Has an odd smokiness to it, which not to style, is very pleasant. Hints of toffee or caramel in there to.

Mouthfeel: smooth- Body is a tad lighter than I would expect, but good overall. Carbonation level is pretty good. Works well with the flavors.

Drinkability- Not the best bock, but pretty good.

3.69/5  rDev +21%

This is my first time reveiwing a beer, but a good start I think.

My girlfriend bought me a 6 pack of this on a whim, though I have wanted to try it for some time now. I am glad that I never spent the money on it.

The beer pours a very dark color, somewhat red.
There is hardly any head...you kinda have to throw the beer into the glass to produce a decent head.

The beer is tasty...not too heavy despite the high ABV. You can taste hardly any alcohol.

Here is my first complaint: I consumed 6 bottles of these plus 3 Rogue Dead Guy Ale's and got only a slight buzz. There has to be something wrong here. I can drink 4 Optimators and be close to drunk off of those...

All in all, it is a very tasty treat, but don't expect the kick.

The feel and drinkability of this beer kind of skew the rating, but if that is what you are after, then you have found your soulmate.

Worth a drink, (or two or seven) to get the full affect.

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Another new one from a brewer I again had never heard of before. So I decided to take a gamble and give it a try. The pour was not bad I had to admit, nice garnet color with a light to medium clarity in it. Small head of off white comes up and over the top of the glass, settling down into a broken crown with a decent bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma is off right from the start. Muted hops, caramel, and a sour wet cardboard are all coming together in the wrong way. Flavor is just off on nearly every angle here. Muted flavors, bready and not put together well at all. The finish was bitter, and overall just not working here at all. What should have been a semi sweet, almost nutty flavor was reduced to an off, nearly unacceptable malt flavor.

Overall no. This one was not working at all. I was hoping for something more, but did not get it.

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark brown with a fizzy head that mostly dies. Smell is pretty good - caramel, apples and brown sugar. Slightly bready.

Taste, however, is a letdown. Simple bready brown sugar and apples. Taste is also somewhat watery somehow - don't understand that given the 10.8%. It's just a kind of boring flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit too watery and fizzy given the ABV. Drinkability is good though.

2.44/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark murky brown in color. A standard pour produces about half an inch of head, which disappears pretty quickly.

Smell: Caramel and raisins with metallic undertones. There's something funky to it that I can't quite put my finger on - it almost smells like rotting dried fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Caramel and chocolate, minerals, some buttery notes, a bit of astringency from the alcohol. Sweet all the way through without much balancing bitterness. Light-to-medium in body.

Notes: I came across this in my search for the worst beer ever. Sadly, it's not as bad as I was hoping, but it is decidedly mediocre.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Lobotomy Bock has a medium, beige head and a clear, brown (ruby red under light) appearance. Lacing is minimal. The aroma is quite faint, but a bit of sweet bread can be detected. Taste is a touch smokey, sweet, lightly chocolaty, a bit of coffee, and mostly just nothing, really. No hop bitterness is present. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, and Lobotomy Bock finishes like tap water. It’s hard to believe such a drink could have a 10.8% alcohol level. I found this only ordinary. Avoid.

RJT

2.06/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well-marketed: Seeing the label, knowing that I like doppelbocks, 10.8%!! This should be great

Potential: Looks pretty good when poured into the glass. Decent head. Good dark ruby color.

Taste: What is this? Some blend of cola, dunkel beer, and water? No hops flavor. Mild malty tastes. It was a disappointment. I begin to doubt your commitment to the doppelbock name. 10.8% are you sure? Anything that strong leaves a different mouth-feel.

Residual Effect: I have 5 more of these in the fridge. What to do with them?

The doppelbock I made with a Mr. Beer kit was better than this, but it was very clean/smooth tasting. Not at all bitter.

Cheers!

3.33/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Indian Wells Brewing pint glass

A: Pours a very dark ruby brown with a moderate amount of mocha colored head that fades

S: A little coffee, some dark malt sweetness, a little dried fruit, plum maybe

T: Very light coffee, a little toffee/caramel roasted malt sweetness, some kinda mineral water like bite, a little booze as it warms

M: Light to medium body, moderate carbonation

O: Nothing super special to write home about, but not bad.

3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle pours a very dark brown color, dark enough as to not tell the clarity. No freshness dating on the bottle. Bubbly brown head does not show much in the way of lacing or retention.

Nose is very sweet (cotton candy) with a burnt raisin and sweet potato maltiness. I also smell styrofoam on this one for some reason.

Has kind of a burning plastic chemical taste to it that is wholly unpleasant. The malts are deeply roasty and not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. Body is not thin, but not really all that full for a rich doppel. Overall depth and flavor is just a bit lacking. Not as bad overall as I was expecting, I'll easily be able to finish this bottle with nary a cringe to be found.

to view more.