2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 155 | Reviews: 96 | Show All Ratings:
TrollCrow

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance - Nice, clear redish brown color. Difficult to get a nice head and seems to lack good carbonation.
Smell - A nice malt smell that is very pleasing. However, it lacks any other depth or other aromas. I found it a little too simple.
Taste - This beer tastes as simple as it smells. Its good, but simple.
Mouthfeel - While the beer seems to lack carbonation on the pour it feels overly carbonated on the pallet. The taste is not unpleasent, it's just not anything special
Drinkability - Easy to drink. Plain, simple beer with some flavor.

02-13-2009 01:15:44 | More by TrollCrow
rfabian

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a tumbler it produces a small head with scant lacing. The appearance is amber brown and clear. The aroma is faintly malty with little in the way of hops. The taste is lightly malty with little or no alcoholic warmth. The feel is surprisingly light bodied with a watery finish.

This doppelbock seems to have been brewed in the light bodied American lager tradition. It's a bit of a different take on the style. It would be a good choice in hot weather.

04-20-2010 03:37:05 | More by rfabian
largadeer

2.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark murky brown in color. A standard pour produces about half an inch of head, which disappears pretty quickly.

Smell: Caramel and raisins with metallic undertones. There's something funky to it that I can't quite put my finger on - it almost smells like rotting dried fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Caramel and chocolate, minerals, some buttery notes, a bit of astringency from the alcohol. Sweet all the way through without much balancing bitterness. Light-to-medium in body.

Notes: I came across this in my search for the worst beer ever. Sadly, it's not as bad as I was hoping, but it is decidedly mediocre.

04-24-2008 23:49:55 | More by largadeer
IntriqKen

2.4/5  rDev -20.3%

There really isn't much to say about this beer.
For a very high ABV, it comes across as very, VERY subdued.

The flavor is only mildly malty...missing lots of the good dark malt sugars I like to find in a bock. Aroma is also a very subdued version of dark amber malts.

Alcohol presence is non-existent in the taste.
On the bright side, it leaves your mouth clean with no aftertaste.

02-23-2008 23:33:10 | More by IntriqKen
theboozecruise

Louisiana

2.38/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass... dark brown color, no sediment, with about 2.5 fingers of off-white head. Dissipated after a few minutes, but not a bad looking beer.

The smell is very malty with hints of chocolate... smells like a doppelbock should, in my opinion, but could be stronger. Their Amnesia IPA had a weak aroma and this is better but still a little bit weak.

The taste is unfortunately very watered down, like the IPA. Amazingly I can't taste the 10.5% abv at all, though, I figured without some strong balance that it would come out more. The malts are suppressed and the beer is just really thin.

That's two from these guys, and I'm unfortunately quite disappointed.

07-01-2010 01:48:44 | More by theboozecruise
whoneeds8

2.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a pint glass black with little to no head. Smell has some rasted malt and bread notes. Taste??? What taste??? Whoever catagoried this as a doppelbock was wrong. I would barely call this a bock. The mouthfeel is a joke, way too watered down. And 10.5%? I forced down the entire glass and I don't feel any kind of buzz what so ever like I should from 10.5%.

This beer really is like a bad joke, because it is nothing like it is advertised.

05-15-2009 01:37:22 | More by whoneeds8
nickd717

2.23/5  rDev -25.9%

12oz bottle from Whole Foods - Los Altos. OK, I'll try not to let the fact that this is an Indian Wells beer influence me here.

Pours clear dark reddish-brown with a one-finger light beige head. Looks good enough.

Aroma is roasty and smoky with caramel and a strange dirty/acrid note. Good in a way and bad in another. Definitely some kind of flaw in there.

Flavor starts off decent with caramel malt and smoke. Then it goes south like a migrating bird in the fall. Cooked veggies and acrid flavors take over and dominate on the finish.

Medium-light body for the style and somewhat flat and boring on the palate. Somewhat astringent.

This is really not very drinkable at all. Drain pour in the end - didn't feel like wasting my sobriety on a shitty beer that's almost 11% ABV. I can't believe this is rated overall as an above-average doppelbock. I really don't want to know what a below-average one is.

02-19-2010 05:59:22 | More by nickd717
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a mix of brown and light black, super thin, 1/16" head, dissipates into nothingness. Aroma of raisins, prunes and alcohol, oh so much alcohol.

More alcohol, some varnish, kinda thin malt wise, heavy alcohol wise. Bad dark fruit taste. Lots of sweetness coming from somewhere. A weird rubbery burnt aspect to the beer, nothing like a rauchbier or the aroma of burnt rubber you'll get in some gueuze. Kind of weird to have this much bitterness in a beer that isn't hoppy at all, much less in a style like a doppelbock.

Never been a fan of this brewery, this just isn't my kind of style of beer, but even stuff I like, these guys haven't been able to fit it in an appreciable way for my palate.

12-27-2011 22:39:24 | More by Beerandraiderfan
ronniebruner

Arizona

2.08/5  rDev -30.9%

The first thing I noticed about this beer is how extremely dark it is. This beer is darker than most stouts. When poured into a glass, I noticed an excess of head and lace. The beer's aroma is of charcoal and burnt malt. The taste of charcoal and malt are a bit overpowering and actually degrade from the overall taste of this beer. I wanted to like this beer, but I am a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

10-17-2011 03:05:12 | More by ronniebruner
4000qtrap

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev -31.9%

Source/Serving: Bottle, No expiration date

Smell: raisins, sweet plums, juicy currents, brown sugar. Very sweet but there is a definite note of caramelized grains. While the fruits are pretty dark there is a nice sense of refreshment to them as well.

Taste: Quite smooth and easy to drink. Almost too easy with the flavors very muted overall. Not as sweet as one would expect from the nose, its quite wine and grape juice like in a bad way up front. The middle is mellow with brown sugar notes and a hint of ripe fruit. Oddly, there isn't even a sign of the 10% ABV even in the absence of flavor. I guess it's a lager and the "clean" flavor is perhaps desirable...however I personally don't find it so. Finish is balanced. Some brown sugar / fruit syrup sweetness but is lackluster. Definitely needs to warm up to let the flavors out.

02-22-2010 04:44:53 | More by 4000qtrap
xgabe

2.03/5  rDev -32.6%

For a doppelbock listed at 10.5%, I felt that the bar was set way higher than this beer could achieve.

The appearance from the get-go gave me the impression that this was not as high a quality brew as I expected: Medium head that dissipated quickly, more of a "pepsi-like" carbonation, not that great of lacing.

Aroma-wise, not much complexity on malts, and the dryness of the beer was already evident. Taste confirmed that. Mouthfeel was very fizzy. Almost tasted like I was having a weird remedy elixir.

I hope that in the future, the focus is more on backing off of the ABV for fine tuning of the ingredients.

08-01-2008 19:46:22 | More by xgabe
BW333

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well-marketed: Seeing the label, knowing that I like doppelbocks, 10.8%!! This should be great

Potential: Looks pretty good when poured into the glass. Decent head. Good dark ruby color.

Taste: What is this? Some blend of cola, dunkel beer, and water? No hops flavor. Mild malty tastes. It was a disappointment. I begin to doubt your commitment to the doppelbock name. 10.8% are you sure? Anything that strong leaves a different mouth-feel.

Residual Effect: I have 5 more of these in the fridge. What to do with them?

The doppelbock I made with a Mr. Beer kit was better than this, but it was very clean/smooth tasting. Not at all bitter.

Cheers!

06-07-2012 21:29:00 | More by BW333
mactrail

1.98/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer is a sham. There is no possible way it is 4 or 5 percent, much less the 9% they claim. I tasted it carefully twice over the last year, purchased at Whole Foods. I took the six packs back both times. Talking to a beer stocking clerk there recently, and asked about it, she said "we're not allowed to talk about it."

I even corresponded by email with the brewer, who was full of good cheer and refused to acknowledge any critique. I offered to send him a bottle with the receipt from Whole Foods, but he didn't reply to that.

Oh, the review. I suspect from the dishwatery taste that the beer was infected and the residual malt fermented from the bacteria. But I can't explain why the alcohol would evaporate. The flavor that is left is unpleasant though not sour.

02-23-2010 06:36:27 | More by mactrail
scottfrie

1.93/5  rDev -35.9%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark raisin brown with a thick, dense, dark tan head that took its time to fade into a thick and fuzzy film that left almost no lace.
S: I get light notes of sweet caramel, roasted malts, toffee and maybe some brownish sugar. There’s something spritzy in there as well that doesn’t quite smell right.
T: If the nose smelled ok then the flavor tastes bad. The flavor is very plan and bland, and the dominating notes are seltzer water mixed with caramel syrup. The finish is a bit nutty. Soda-like overall.
M: The body is on the light side of medium with fizzy carbonation. The mouthfeel is tingly and thin.
O: This is pretty awful stuff. Drinkable yes, but I’d rather just drink a soda.

02-07-2012 02:27:14 | More by scottfrie
popery

1.9/5  rDev -36.9%

Recently, my preferred Whole Foods trotted out two beers from this brewer with a large display and some sort of buyer's pick sticker to boot. While a grocery store might not be the best place to field beer recommendations, particularly with such fine internet resources available, this store's buyer has been given a freer hand than most and has put together an excellent selection with relatively few missteps. Unfortunately, this beer is the worst of those missteps since a watery Czech disaster I blundered into a few months ago. Perhaps, my trust in this store's buyer contributed to the sound dashing of my hopes with this California Doppelbock.

Lobotomy Bock pours a dark reddish brown with a quickly dissipating head, nothing to complain about. The smell is a different story. The aroma is sweet, thin and hoppy with a slight twinge of alcohol. It's bad news but an accurate announcement of the coming experience.

Much like the aroma, the taste is thin and sweet with some nuttiness and malt, which is almost nice. The best notes are upfront, giving way to a watery finish. At 5-6% abv, this beer would have received higher marks. As a Doppelbock and at a reported 10.8% abv (a dirty, dirty lie), this beer is entirely too sweet and seriously lacking body. In addition, the carbonation is quite weak and the sweetness makes my cheeks cringe a bit.

As for drinkability, I had trouble finishing it. Thin, sweet and under-carbonated put this beer at the bottom of my list of recent acquisitions. The worst part is that I bought a full six pack.

08-20-2008 05:48:09 | More by popery
bohemiandonut

1.85/5  rDev -38.5%

Lobotomy is an abomination of beer.

Appearance is okay, promising even, but taste and smell leave much to be desired. ABV is not there, though strangely enough a distinct methanol aroma seeps through. Taste is just so... bleh. Incomplete. Kind of a metallic, migraney taste.

Poured the first one of these down the drain. Actually looked for the receipt to return the other five. Couldn't find the receipt so kept in fridge to be drunk in emergencies. God this is awful beer.

06-15-2010 04:13:20 | More by bohemiandonut
Ryan011235

1.83/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured into a small snifter on 4/23/11

Thanks, indeed, to nickd717. However, the rest is backwards; Indian Wells was cranking beers long before that critter crawled out of the open vat in a warehouse in the flats.

Split with MbpBugeye, of course. I like to make sure he shares in my misery.

Deep brown, almost plum-colored. One finger of riddled-with-pores foam drops steadily for a few minutes. Patch of bubbles for retention and a ring of lace.

I never quite got band-aid as a descriptor until now. Honestly, I glad I made it this far. Watery bread, grains and caramel. Hints of earthiness and disdain. Stale tomato aroma as it warms. Tastes even worse. Watery and thin to the point it affects the flavor. Bready with a little dough. Stray sugars. Earthy, tea-like hops don't make things any better. Carbonation isn't over the top but it's prickly. Unpleasant residuals.

No thanks, I'm over this.

06-11-2011 03:17:03 | More by Ryan011235
womencantsail

1.65/5  rDev -45.2%

Indian Wells mix pack provided by Bobby.

A: The pour is almost black with a minimal off-white/tan head.

S: An old/flat Coke nose as well as a bit of garbage juice. Some vegetables, particularly broccoli, to the nose. Sweet and sugary with a decent amount of malt. There's a syrupy thing going on here, too.

T: Tastes like an onion bagel dipped in cola. What an awful flavor. Lots of stale malt and bread notes to this beer, and those are the nice things I can say about it.

M: The body is medium with a surprisingly minimal amount of carbonation.

D: Do not want this one again.

02-21-2011 04:44:57 | More by womencantsail
DannyHartman

1.48/5  rDev -50.8%

It's almost hard for me to believe this is a 10.5 ABV beer.... At first, the pour into the glass seems to nice.... That is, until you realize there isn't much head or body to it.... Though it's a dark beer, it doesn't have that deep of a taste to it.... Pretty bland characteristics.... I tried the Indian Wells "Insomnia IPA", and again, I wasn't too impressed with it's lack of hoppiness.... I'm still waiting to find a beer from this brewery that I fully enjoy.

08-30-2012 14:44:04 | More by DannyHartman
jdgood

Wisconsin

1.35/5  rDev -55.1%

This is my first review and I must say that this beer was a total disappointment. I was excited about the 10.8% alcohol content and am a fan of bock beers. The color was decent but upon the first sip I was wondering if the wrong bottles were in the bright red six pack. The beer was very thin with little or no malt flavor and the head disappeared quickly. The label says that it is "Brewed in small batches with only honest ingredients". How about honest labeling with the proper alcohol %.

For the first time in my life I actually left 3 bottles of beer in the fridge! I purchased this at a Whole Foods while on vacation in San Diego from my native Wisconsin and would like to save fellow beer lovers my cruel fate. Next time I'll check out Beer Advocate BEFORE I buy!

06-15-2010 04:19:46 | More by jdgood
USMCretired

1.06/5  rDev -64.8%

An all around horrible beer. It has a strange grittiness to it, light alchohol and some oxidation. Claims to adhere to reinheitsgebot but i taste some additions in here. Interesting to know what their interpretation of reinheitsgebot is.

Boozy, caramely warm aftertaste. Thin off white head that quickly fades to a snapping beer. Too many things going on, i like my doppelbocks simpler.

Wouldn't buy again