Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004)

brheuer, Mar 24, 2013

tpauer, Jul 18, 2013
3.4/5  rDev +12.6%

One of the darkest doppelbock's I've ever seen. Lobotomy pours almost stout dark with ruby amber highlights and not much of a chance for light to pass through. The head is khaki and thin but doesn't last as long as I'd prefer.

The nose is very well done. There is a prominent sweet malt with nothing even close to smelling like a hop. There is also aged dried fruits in the raisin family peaking through the cloud of grain. Again I am reminded of stouts with the thick sweet smells.

I find the characteristics in the scent falters in the flavor department. The result is a thinned musty malt flavor and a over all watered down feeling. Even the slight presence of those dark fruits are thinned and muted.

The mouthfeel has a metallic twang to it and also has a crisp dryness. The beer coats your mouth in the finish and the feeling reminds me of eating that thick greek yogurt. As a whole I don't think this a bad beer but it isn't great. I find myself bored halfway through the glass and not really interested in any more.

jbphoto88, Aug 23, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to my neighbor Andrew for picking this up for me while in CA.

This pours medium brown with dark highlights and a small head that doesn't leave any lace. On the nose there is rich caramel malt, some esters further back, and caramelized raisins or some such. In the mouth those same flavors come out. This is not a complex beer. It's pretty much heavy on the caramel malt and toasted bread with just a bit of phenol mixed in, no surprise given the weight. The body is quite thin for the style, and the finish didn't do anything strange.

Overall, I was happy to try this but glad I had just a few bottles. It's strange and not really up to doppelbock snuff for me.

EricCioe, Jan 05, 2012

TheMarkE, Jan 10, 2013

archero, Dec 19, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Lobo could make me loco after too many (10% ABV was the first thing I noticed). This beer pours black every way I look at it. The tan, almost purple head is fizzy and fades fast so pay attention....

The nose was relatively mild, all things considered. In fact, it's very difficult to get anything out of it, even alcohol. Chocolate, raisins, and coffee tones I guess.

The flavor holds the same issue.... where is it?? A bit of warmth from the alcohol blends in with uninspiring raisins and coffee hints.

The body is on the light side, lots of carbonation. Not much feel, except for a chalky finish. Only decent marks here, is how easy it is to drink. Give a couple to your friend who doesn't like beer with a whole lot of flavor and watch him get bombed in no time.

climax, Oct 23, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into an imperial pint glass... dark brown color, no sediment, with about 2.5 fingers of off-white head. Dissipated after a few minutes, but not a bad looking beer.

The smell is very malty with hints of chocolate... smells like a doppelbock should, in my opinion, but could be stronger. Their Amnesia IPA had a weak aroma and this is better but still a little bit weak.

The taste is unfortunately very watered down, like the IPA. Amazingly I can't taste the 10.5% abv at all, though, I figured without some strong balance that it would come out more. The malts are suppressed and the beer is just really thin.

That's two from these guys, and I'm unfortunately quite disappointed.

theboozecruise, Jul 01, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

Dolfan907, Oct 02, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance- Pours a clear, deep mohogany with some dark ruby highlights. Very pretty.
the head is light beige head with very little retention and just a hint of lacing.

Aroma- Lots of malt sweetness with a big malty aroma. Hints of brown sugar and caramel; very inviting.

Taste- Nice mix of malt sweetness, maltiness, and just enough bittering hops to let you know it's a beer. Has an odd smokiness to it, which not to style, is very pleasant. Hints of toffee or caramel in there to.

Mouthfeel: smooth- Body is a tad lighter than I would expect, but good overall. Carbonation level is pretty good. Works well with the flavors.

Drinkability- Not the best bock, but pretty good.

theopholis, Jan 18, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -3%

Interestingly bland beer...if that's possible.

Pours a bit like a cola, a bit darker. Head fades quickly and leaves a thin tan head.

I could not get much of a scent at all...maybe a slight hint of roasted malt.

Taste is quite thin, not what I expected at all after trying several other doppelbocks recently. A very small taste of dark fruits, but overall very bland.

Almost leaves a stinging taste dry fizz on my tongue, a bit weak.

For such a strong beer (Nearly 11%abv), it's alcohol is hidden quite well...very easy to drink, just not sure if I really want to have another.

obrike, Mar 01, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

ACB, May 29, 2014
3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Is this pepsi? Poured exactly like pepsi. Initial head dissipated immediately like soda leaving no foamy top. Dark reddish amber body.

A- Strong sweet malt aroma, light notes of fruit and caramel.

T- Strong malty taste with some toasty notes. Light bitterness. Leaves a slightly bready malty aftertaste. Very light spiciness from the alcohol. Though at 10.5% I'm not able to notice it too much.

M- Medium-full body that clings to my mouth making it almost tiring to drink. High carbonation, unfortunately there is no head retention to speak of.

D- Not bad, but not too impressive either. The flavor is good, the soda like appearance is not so great. The alcohol is rather hidden so be careful.

gpogo, Jan 23, 2009

Kornoms, Feb 16, 2012

Xzfgiimtsath, Apr 11, 2014
2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark brown coloring with soapy head and moderate lacing. Solid looking brew.

S: Mild chocolate tone with some bread qualities as well.

T & M: A little thin bodied as far as the mouthfeel goes. Some roasty chocolate tones apparent but overall the taste is simply lacking. Almost watery which is remarkable for a beer with this high of an ABV.

D: Drinkable, but that is part of the problem with this beer. I expect a doppelbock to have full blown qualities and this beer does not.

elniko, Apr 05, 2009

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Wsherry1, Oct 03, 2013

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -1.3%

Received this from my secret Santa in the family gift exchange (How cool is THAT? my family knows to give me BIER!) This came all the way from California!

I poured the contents of the brown bottle (No freshness date) into my trusty pint glass to produce a perfect 1" head of loose, light tan foam. The head diminished to a thick cap and remained that way for the duration. Minor lacing was noted. The beer color is a ddep brown with ruby highlights when held to light.

The nose is nice and rich. Dark chocolate and caramel with some roasted malt.

Taste: The roasted malt is the most prevalent taste.... NO SIGN of alcohol warming at all! 10.5%?? I can't taste it at all! Rather one-dimensional in taste.... a bit of a disappointment.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.... this needs some more BODY to be more enjoyable.

Drinkability: I'll finish the two I have.... but will not seek this out again. One dimensional taste and thin consistency are the biggest detractors of this beer. PASS

TheBierBand, Dec 12, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

dwtyler, Aug 29, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured into a pint glass black with little to no head. Smell has some rasted malt and bread notes. Taste??? What taste??? Whoever catagoried this as a doppelbock was wrong. I would barely call this a bock. The mouthfeel is a joke, way too watered down. And 10.5%? I forced down the entire glass and I don't feel any kind of buzz what so ever like I should from 10.5%.

This beer really is like a bad joke, because it is nothing like it is advertised.

whoneeds8, May 15, 2009