Lobotomy Bock - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Lobotomy BockLobotomy Bock

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Doppelbock |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2004

This is a classic German Dopple Bock. Like all of our beers it is made in strict accordance to the German Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of Brewing, which is water, malt, hops and yeast only! Lobotomy Bock is made from five types of specialty malted barley including Munich, black patent and other premium malts. And finished with two types of hops, Sterling and Perle added at the boil and again at the finish for the perfect flavor balance. Lobotomy Bock is brewed with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Lobotomy Bock is lagered for several weeks then finished to exacting standards.

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Little head and lacing. Very dark color, reminds me of a glass of Coke or Pepsi.

Smells like chocolate brownies folowed by a bit of coffee.

Tastes kind of like burnt chocolate with smoke. Kinda of flat with no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery. Leaves a clean feeling.

Overall, very average. I don't think I'll have another.

3.41/5  rDev +14%

Medium sized light brown head dies into a kinda weak lacing above a clear very dark brown beer.

A very light sweet caramel malt aroma on this medium bodied beer.

Light grapes on a caramel malt taste leaving a light dry aftertaste.

Kinda a weird little taste to this beer but that not necessarily a bad thing, I kinda liked it for a one shot type drink, can't say I'd like to drink a six pack in one sitting.

3.11/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Look - jet black with about half a finger of light tan-colored foam that dissipates very quickly.

Smell - a little coffee-like, but more chocolaty in smell, sweet, with maybe a hint of molasses.

Taste and Mouthfeel - strong, somewhat bitter taste at the very beginning which melds into a sweeter, definitely more roasted/molasses-like taste. Mouthfeel is a little warming, probably due to the higher abv, and the texture is pretty well-balanced.

Overall - I don't really love the bitter/chocolaty/roasted part of this taste, but I do like that it blends itself pretty well.

1.86/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured into a small snifter on 4/23/11

Thanks, indeed, to nickd717. However, the rest is backwards; Indian Wells was cranking beers long before that critter crawled out of the open vat in a warehouse in the flats.

Split with MbpBugeye, of course. I like to make sure he shares in my misery.

Deep brown, almost plum-colored. One finger of riddled-with-pores foam drops steadily for a few minutes. Patch of bubbles for retention and a ring of lace.

I never quite got band-aid as a descriptor until now. Honestly, I glad I made it this far. Watery bread, grains and caramel. Hints of earthiness and disdain. Stale tomato aroma as it warms. Tastes even worse. Watery and thin to the point it affects the flavor. Bready with a little dough. Stray sugars. Earthy, tea-like hops don't make things any better. Carbonation isn't over the top but it's prickly. Unpleasant residuals.

No thanks, I'm over this.

2.53/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brought over by Ryan011235, probably provided by nickd717 who calls Indian Wells the California version of Indigo Imp. Its starting to look like Nick is the California version of Ryan.

Dark purple with a strangely gray head that leaves droopy lace for about a ring of two.

Its best summed up by simply saying "raisin box". There is some bran flakes and rotty figs.

Very sugary raisins and figs that reach extract/syrup potency. Some darker, wheaty/bran-like malts and grains.

Its quite smooth with a lesser-than-medium body. Its very sweet with little in the way of balance.

My first Indian Wells experience wasn't a true horror story like I've heard. This one is just overly sweet and strong on the raisin.

2.93/5  rDev -2%

Interestingly bland beer...if that's possible.

Pours a bit like a cola, a bit darker. Head fades quickly and leaves a thin tan head.

I could not get much of a scent at all...maybe a slight hint of roasted malt.

Taste is quite thin, not what I expected at all after trying several other doppelbocks recently. A very small taste of dark fruits, but overall very bland.

Almost leaves a stinging taste dry fizz on my tongue, a bit weak.

For such a strong beer (Nearly 11%abv), it's alcohol is hidden quite well...very easy to drink, just not sure if I really want to have another.

3.2/5  rDev +7%

Pours black with thin head that dissappears into nothingness, maybe some crust and lace clinging here and there, but nothing really.

Smells of roasted malt, sweet caramel, and raisins.

Flavorwise, this beer is fairly one-note, just malt. Maybe the slightest bit of hops on the finish.

Really light-bodied for what I was expecting, kind of flat.

If anything, the abv is well-hidden in this beer, making for an easy drinker.

1.69/5  rDev -43.5%

Indian Wells mix pack provided by Bobby.

A: The pour is almost black with a minimal off-white/tan head.

S: An old/flat Coke nose as well as a bit of garbage juice. Some vegetables, particularly broccoli, to the nose. Sweet and sugary with a decent amount of malt. There's a syrupy thing going on here, too.

T: Tastes like an onion bagel dipped in cola. What an awful flavor. Lots of stale malt and bread notes to this beer, and those are the nice things I can say about it.

M: The body is medium with a surprisingly minimal amount of carbonation.

D: Do not want this one again.

4.39/5  rDev +46.8%

This was first brought to me by some family members in Ridgecrest, Ca who came to visit me. I visited the brewery when i went to visit them for a camping trip. I was amazed at how smooth it was for a bock. I didnt get a bitter after taste like with some. This one hit me with almost a smokey wood flavor that i loved. Since i was camping while drinking it, it was perfect. I recommend this beer for a nice camping trip or backyard BBQ.

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%

I happened upon the indian wells brewery on my way home from recent trip Death Valley. I've seen their beers at the local Whole Foods but never took to much interest in them. We stopped in hoping to find lunch but the steak house isn't open for lunch so we headed into the brewery. Based on the merchandise on hand it was quickly appperant that the Lobotomy Bock is their flag ship beer so we grabed a sixer to go.

It's a big malty doppelbock for sure with just enough hop bitterness to give it a crisp finish.

3.33/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer was my introduction to Indian Wells Brewing Company. I was served at a local bar in Ridgecrest, CA. The beer came in a Weizen glass, which is not the typical service model for a Bock. It had a very dark, rich coloring, with a minimal, sparse head. The nose on the beer has a sweet and rich scent, and I also got the slightest hint of licorice in the background. The flavor on initial tasting was malty and smooth, with a crisp finish. The beer felt well balanced in my mouth, with a pleasant aftertaste. They did a very good job of providing enough hops to balance out the malty flavor. The alcohol content also helps give the beer a strong flavor without overpowering the other aspects/characteristics.

After later having the opportunity to visit the Brewery and try the other beers they had to offer, I would have to say that the Lobotomy Bock is one of the top beers currently being produced from Indian Wells Brewing Company. Overall, with the limited breweries in this area, I would absolutely drink this beer again.

3.13/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle pours a very dark brown color, dark enough as to not tell the clarity. No freshness dating on the bottle. Bubbly brown head does not show much in the way of lacing or retention.

Nose is very sweet (cotton candy) with a burnt raisin and sweet potato maltiness. I also smell styrofoam on this one for some reason.

Has kind of a burning plastic chemical taste to it that is wholly unpleasant. The malts are deeply roasty and not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. Body is not thin, but not really all that full for a rich doppel. Overall depth and flavor is just a bit lacking. Not as bad overall as I was expecting, I'll easily be able to finish this bottle with nary a cringe to be found.

2.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Lobo could make me loco after too many (10% ABV was the first thing I noticed). This beer pours black every way I look at it. The tan, almost purple head is fizzy and fades fast so pay attention....

The nose was relatively mild, all things considered. In fact, it's very difficult to get anything out of it, even alcohol. Chocolate, raisins, and coffee tones I guess.

The flavor holds the same issue.... where is it?? A bit of warmth from the alcohol blends in with uninspiring raisins and coffee hints.

The body is on the light side, lots of carbonation. Not much feel, except for a chalky finish. Only decent marks here, is how easy it is to drink. Give a couple to your friend who doesn't like beer with a whole lot of flavor and watch him get bombed in no time.

3.88/5  rDev +29.8%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into my new belgium tulip, thin light brown colored head tops the brew made of a black body. No tinting detectable around the edges even when held up to the light.

The scent is very smooth, none of that 10.5% shows up at all, it's a sweet brown sugar and molasses that I get. Hoppping is very background, sweet malts and breadiness is in there as well.

The flavor is great, it starts out with a sweet molasses and honeyed flavor which is augmented later by the flavor hops which are quite fruity but very backseat at the same time. I get prune, pineapple, and pear. Interesting flavors to be sure, intriguing combination.

The mouthfeel is good, smooth and creamy buy not thick like a porter or stout. It goes down real easy which is dangerous because of it's alcohol content. I get none of that abv at all, this is definitely my favorite brew from indian wells, at least of the ones I have tried so far.

2.43/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into an imperial pint glass... dark brown color, no sediment, with about 2.5 fingers of off-white head. Dissipated after a few minutes, but not a bad looking beer.

The smell is very malty with hints of chocolate... smells like a doppelbock should, in my opinion, but could be stronger. Their Amnesia IPA had a weak aroma and this is better but still a little bit weak.

The taste is unfortunately very watered down, like the IPA. Amazingly I can't taste the 10.5% abv at all, though, I figured without some strong balance that it would come out more. The malts are suppressed and the beer is just really thin.

That's two from these guys, and I'm unfortunately quite disappointed.

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%

Consumed June 23rd, 2010. Bottle obtained directly from brewery on May 30th, 2010. Consumed in "special" Samuel Adams glass.

Beer is a clear, dark cola color with mahogany highlights. Very fine tan head (I swear it had a greenish tinge to it) subsides to a uniformly sticky, coating skin of foam in very short order. Subdued though still present carbonation apparent in glass.

Aroma is sweet cane sugar and moderately roasted malt. A touch of smoke and vanilla as well.

I was shocked to have an Indian Wells beer that had no flaws! It has a mild, English brown flavor (think Newcastle, but more subdued) that mirrors the nose but with more maltiness. Nowhere near world class, but nothing wrong with this one. Alcohol slightly noticeable, but not a problem. Only a faint dash of bitterness and fleeting mineral water on the finish.

Beer is slightly thick and creamy in the mouth.

The most drinkable beer from Indian Wells I've tried so far; in the greater world, a mediocre example of the style, But for IW, a triumph!

1.38/5  rDev -53.8%

This is my first review and I must say that this beer was a total disappointment. I was excited about the 10.8% alcohol content and am a fan of bock beers. The color was decent but upon the first sip I was wondering if the wrong bottles were in the bright red six pack. The beer was very thin with little or no malt flavor and the head disappeared quickly. The label says that it is "Brewed in small batches with only honest ingredients". How about honest labeling with the proper alcohol %.

For the first time in my life I actually left 3 bottles of beer in the fridge! I purchased this at a Whole Foods while on vacation in San Diego from my native Wisconsin and would like to save fellow beer lovers my cruel fate. Next time I'll check out Beer Advocate BEFORE I buy!

1.86/5  rDev -37.8%

Lobotomy is an abomination of beer.

Appearance is okay, promising even, but taste and smell leave much to be desired. ABV is not there, though strangely enough a distinct methanol aroma seeps through. Taste is just so... bleh. Incomplete. Kind of a metallic, migraney taste.

Poured the first one of these down the drain. Actually looked for the receipt to return the other five. Couldn't find the receipt so kept in fridge to be drunk in emergencies. God this is awful beer.

3.26/5  rDev +9%

Pouring dark with a finger or two of tan head that dissipated so quickly I wondered if there was really any head at all. Very mild malt aroma, upon first sip I was astonished how well they managed to mask the heavy alcohol content reported on the package. However, by the time I was halfway through this brew, it became abundantly clear that the advertised ABV is an outright lie - that is, unless these folks at Indian Wells managed to include some magical substance that counteracts the inebriation otherwise incurred by consuming alcohol! Very light body, lively albeit watery mouthfeel with a slightly sour flavor. Glad I got this one on sale.

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

This is my first review so please be gentle. This was recommended to me by the "beer expert" at the liquor store I went to so i bought it with high expectations. It was average at best

Pour: I poured it out of the bottle into a standard beer glass. Upon pouring, it had a very nice brown color to it. Dark but not so dark that you can't see through a bit. The head was very small, maybe 1/8 of an inch. I was hoping for just a bit more head.

Smell: had an average smell to me, did not smell like what I want a high quality beer to smell like. Not appetizing.

Taste: this is where the beer falls down. The taste was very average. I didn't get a lot of complexity, it just tasted like a very watery beer. Although I don't agree with the label that it's 10.5% alcohol, it definitely has more alcohol tha your average beer.

My recommendation would be to keep moving on if this beer looks interesting at the store, you can find a better beer.

2.56/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a tumbler it produces a small head with scant lacing. The appearance is amber brown and clear. The aroma is faintly malty with little in the way of hops. The taste is lightly malty with little or no alcoholic warmth. The feel is surprisingly light bodied with a watery finish.

This doppelbock seems to have been brewed in the light bodied American lager tradition. It's a bit of a different take on the style. It would be a good choice in hot weather.

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

This is the same beer as Fireman's Brew Brewnette. They are both made in Indian Wells, both claim the same 10.8 percent abv, and both beer reviews have the same claim that no hint of the alcohol is present. I wonder if that's because it's not there. I've drunk down 2 in less than 30 minutes and felt no residual effect. That's the equivalent of kicking me into above .08 bac and not feeling it. With all that said, it's vaguely enjoyable, finished dry and cocoa-ish.

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Another new one from a brewer I again had never heard of before. So I decided to take a gamble and give it a try. The pour was not bad I had to admit, nice garnet color with a light to medium clarity in it. Small head of off white comes up and over the top of the glass, settling down into a broken crown with a decent bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma is off right from the start. Muted hops, caramel, and a sour wet cardboard are all coming together in the wrong way. Flavor is just off on nearly every angle here. Muted flavors, bready and not put together well at all. The finish was bitter, and overall just not working here at all. What should have been a semi sweet, almost nutty flavor was reduced to an off, nearly unacceptable malt flavor.

Overall no. This one was not working at all. I was hoping for something more, but did not get it.

2.06/5  rDev -31.1%

This beer is a sham. There is no possible way it is 4 or 5 percent, much less the 9% they claim. I tasted it carefully twice over the last year, purchased at Whole Foods. I took the six packs back both times. Talking to a beer stocking clerk there recently, and asked about it, she said "we're not allowed to talk about it."

I even corresponded by email with the brewer, who was full of good cheer and refused to acknowledge any critique. I offered to send him a bottle with the receipt from Whole Foods, but he didn't reply to that.

Oh, the review. I suspect from the dishwatery taste that the beer was infected and the residual malt fermented from the bacteria. But I can't explain why the alcohol would evaporate. The flavor that is left is unpleasant though not sour.

2.1/5  rDev -29.8%

Source/Serving: Bottle, No expiration date

Smell: raisins, sweet plums, juicy currents, brown sugar. Very sweet but there is a definite note of caramelized grains. While the fruits are pretty dark there is a nice sense of refreshment to them as well.

Taste: Quite smooth and easy to drink. Almost too easy with the flavors very muted overall. Not as sweet as one would expect from the nose, its quite wine and grape juice like in a bad way up front. The middle is mellow with brown sugar notes and a hint of ripe fruit. Oddly, there isn't even a sign of the 10% ABV even in the absence of flavor. I guess it's a lager and the "clean" flavor is perhaps desirable...however I personally don't find it so. Finish is balanced. Some brown sugar / fruit syrup sweetness but is lackluster. Definitely needs to warm up to let the flavors out.

Lobotomy Bock from Indian Wells Brewing Company