Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.
1.87/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Moderately hazy amber body, with a modest, fine-beaded white head, which soon collapses to a dusting of white foam. Modest agitation, say by gently tipping the glass, produces a surge of foam at the glass walls. The lacing is fine, and glass-coating.

Aroma: Dark bread notes and malt dominate the aroma, the hop presence is only slightly notable, and has an herbal quality. In all, the aroma seems quite understated for the style.

Taste: The taste begins with dark, bready malts, as the aroma would suggest. As the taste progresses, there is a moderate herbal hop presence, with a level of restraint that I would expect to find in a pale ale. Later in the taste, there are some citric hops. Finishes with a mild herbal bitterness.

Mouth feel: Soft, but a bit thin, with very mild carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An lackluster example of the style.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. (989 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just no. This did NOT taste like an ipa at all. Off aroma followed by an almost non existent hop profile. It basically tastes like a mediocre homebrew. (151 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -46.4%

I actually stopped at this brewery on my way home from Mammoth. When you walk in you get more of a factory operation feeling than a beer loving microbrewery feeling. They seem to have more than half of their store dedicated to soda. They did have tastings and their flagship beer aged in oak barrels seemed like a waste of oak barrels. Getting to the beer...I'm not going to say it's the worst beer I've had but it's not far from it. I would not purchase this beer again unless it was around the price of Natty ice. It has a clean taste yet lacks the signature taste you get from certain IPA's. The carbonation is weird too...almost as if they gave it extra carbonation or something from their soda machines. For $7.99+ for a six pack your money will be better spend on something like Sierra Nevada. (799 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -16.7%

Creamy taste like no other IPA Ive tasted. Has no resemblance of an IPA in taste, feel and smell. Not much going on here and rather boring. I still cant believe its an IPA. Think i will skip trying this brew company for now but wish them the best of luck. :-) (259 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -33%

Isn't an IPA supposed to have some bitter quality from the hops? What I tasted was more sour than anything (perhaps they should just call it a sour beer). Also, not sure why there were proteins floating around in the beer. Shouldn't a professional brewery know how to get that out of the beer? This is he second of four styles I bought from these guys today, and so far they both sucked. (387 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -15%

I've been reading and consulting BA for a long time, but this is the beer that made me register. It's the worst craft beer I've ever had. In addition to the sub par taste and aroma, the carbonation on it was out of control. First I sipped from the bottle and the gases kind of exploded in my mouth! Then I decided to pour into a glass to let it mellow out for a while. Despite my slow and careful pour, the foam overflowed and I was left with a head that took up most of the glass. I put it in the fridge to try again later - took one more sip and poured the rest down the sink. I live in Singapore now where American craft beer is super expensive (about $7 USD for a 12oz bottle), so I'm glad this was a gift and not something I bought myself. (744 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -19.3%

Mother of gawd, I didn't even look at the reviews before I reviewed this brew. But fack, this is just downright awful. this tastes like rotten fruit, and I even received a fresh bottle. This is just very bland, no citrus from "6" hops, just blah. I'm sorry, if you crafted this, I commend you, but please try this different. There's nothing from the hops other than bitter, the only thing noticeable is the bitter and the malt. The only good thing I can say from this is I'm feeling light headed. Can't believe I spent $7 on a bottle of this. Do yourself a favor if you're a beer nerd, you probably know the store owner, ask him for an exchange. (645 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured straight from bottle to a chilled glass.

Appearance - To me it looks like your typical IPA, dark amber color with a touch of light brown. After pouring there wasn't much head, about a fingers worth. Quickly dissipates to a thin and hardly noticeable head. Noticeable lacing around the glass.

Smell - For some reason, I immediately thought of pizza dough when I took a sniff of this beer. Some caramel hints but not much hop presence that I can smell.

Taste - After reading some of the reviews on this one, I really didn't think this beer was going to taste good. I have to disagree here. The first thing I notice as I take a drink is the piney hop flavor that really presents itself without being too bitter. The hops tie in nicely to the malt and caramel flavors in this beer, but I will say that for an IPA it isn't as bitter as I would like. It does taste good, but it doesn't scream IPA.

Mouth - Feels light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down decently smooth but the carbonation lightly tickles the back of the throat. It is a little watery.

Overall - It seems that this is either a love it or hate it beer. I have to say that it isn't amazing but it is quite drinkable. My main gripe with it is that it really doesn't seem like a true IPA. The hops just aren't there like they should be. The other flavors that come through kind of make up for this, though. If you're expecting a true, bitter IPA then you will be disappointed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack but I may be tempted to pick up a single bottle later on down the road. (1,558 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear amber color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are decent. Has a malty, piney aroma. Actually not bad. The taste is where it goes south. Malty taste, but the bitter hop is taste a little more like something went bad. Almost like wet leaves. Somewhat astringent aftertaste. There is some caramel at the end. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. I don't think the beer is as bad as some reviews have said. I had this beer a couple years ago and did give it a much lower rating, but I am presently surprised compared to the last time. (582 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +4.7%

A big light tan head settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored IPA.

Sour grains and light earthy pine with a weird soapiness aroma.

Light caramel malts with a light sour to almost soapy pine and maybe a hint of floral hops taste.

A light dry aftertaste with hints of caramel on this medium bodied beer.

Not much for a IPA, might work as a light amber, light red, either way I think I'm gonna have to pass on buying any more beers from Indian Wells, unless of course down the road I hear that things have changed for the better their. (551 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +69.5%

Dark gold/pale amber, it has a big off-white head slowly shrinking to thin foamy head that is lasting, and a little foamy lace.

Aroma is juicy wet leaves, spicy, faint Bergamot plus grapefruit, raisins, green apple.

Taste is leafy with green apples, hint of Bergamot, light juiciness and mineral, toasty grain. It has restrained bitterness balanced by light sweetness and a light marmalade finish. Overall, character is fairly mild, but has enough interest and a pleasantly firm character nevertheless, and is nicely balanced. This is one of the best beers from this brewer in my book. I wouldn't really say it's a great example of an IPA, but it is a very enjoyable, slightly different beer that nevertheless has firm hop character. (735 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +12%

Received as an extra in a trade with Rizalini... thanks Bryin. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A - slightly hazy, orangeish, very little head and what there was dissipated quickly. Just a slight bit of lacing from the first ring.

S - medicinal, earthy, a slight bit of pine, no citrus, but almost like cooked vegetables. strange smell - definitely not a true hoppy IPA smell.

T - Decent - nothing special, but nothing too nasty. I was a little worried considering the other reviews.

M - Kind of flat. Not a lot of carbonation. Not really smooth. One and done with this one. Glad I only had 1.

Overall - avoid. Nothing special here. I think the Poor rating is maybe just a bit harsh, but I definitely wouldn't buy it. (723 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +10.7%

Was given to me as a gift for helping a friend. Seen this brewery at Total Wine a number of times but never picked any up.

Beer poured a golden orange with a thin small head.

Nose is funky, kind of citrus gone bad with some pale malts.

Taste is pretty unexciting, some toasted grainy malts to start. Finishes with a light citrus hop. It is pretty uneven and not meshing well.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, fairly average.

Overall this beer is off from what i would expect. Not sure if i got a bad bottle but in looking at the average scores "It is what it is". (572 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +45.5%

This is a very weird beer. Amnesia I.P.A. has a thin, egg-shell colored head and a hazy, dark amber appearance that really clouds up once one swishes the bottom 20% and pours it in. Little brown chunks are also floating about. The aroma is rich, caramel, grapefruit, and spicy, but the flavor comes across flat, watery, somewhat fruity (turned fruit, really), and odd. Mouthfeel is medium and fluffy, and Anmesia I.P.A. finishes fairly refreshing, yet one gets a bit of a turned flavor. Certainly, if nothing else, it's interesting. I'd say it's worth a try for those who like off-the-wall beer flavors.

RJT (609 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +24.9%

A: a dirty orange color, some amber hues, semi hazy, looks like no filtered beer, there is almoust no carb and no head at all, dissipates so fast

S: not smell at all, there is no hops aroma no floral, no citrusy, no piny, a little caramel, honey and nutty

T: so flat, a little hops, medium body, musty and dry finish (318 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -42.5%

I don't know why people buy this stuff but it always seems to be around. 12oz bottle, no freshness date, poured to a Stone IPA glass.

Beige tinted 2" head, that shows decent retention, and actually leaves a bit of honeycomb lacing on its way down and leaves rings throughout. Color is not great though. Medium brown and quite hazy and cloudy.

Smell, what smell? If you really get in there you can pull a hint of roast malt. Taste is awful. I prefer BMC. Slight burnt malt, yeasty, and caramel with a metallic finish, mmm. Slight bitterness and a watery thin mouthfeel.

God awful. (583 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Slightly hazed amber with an off-white head that leaves descent lacing.

S - Sugary toffee malt, some buttery diacetyl, leafy, butterscotch

T - Medicinal-like herbal hops, toffee underneath, some band-aid and buttery flavors mixing around. Some light unkown fruitiness. The rough medicinal-herb flavor grows stronger as it warms and gets pretty distracting.

M - Good carbonation, light to medium body.

Good looking and average mouthfeel but there's something not right about this beer. (493 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -12.9%

I just bought a six pack of this garbage from a liquor store down the street. While I love trying new beers I should have known better when I asked the owner of the store if it's any good and his reply was "I don't know, I don't drink.".

I am not even going to get into details, shit beer. My first few batches of homebrew blow doors over this crap. (351 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another great thanks to spycow for supplying us with this amazing brew.

A - A little bit brownish for an IPA, but looks fine. Brownish orange color with a hazy body and a pretty nice looking white head it. Moderate lace.

S - Smells obnoxiously sweet and candy like.

T - Not sure what this taste is excactly. Broccoli? Cauliflower? Odd herbal and garden tastes. Not good at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Maybe the taste is making my mind play tricks on me, but somehow it feels gross.

O - Yuck. Don't drink this. Freakin' horrible. (555 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Chris (Spycow) for this gem. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - This beer actually looks pretty good. Generous white foam has surprisingly good retention and settles to some wisps, a thick collar, and splotchy lace. The body is a murky orange-brown color.

S - No idea on freshness, but this smells like sugar. Just sugar. Cloying and strange sweetness.

T - The taste is even worse, with strange herbs, watery cauliflower, and a hint of seltzer water. No obvious bitterness, and the finish is mercifully quick.

M - Medium bodied, medium-low carbonation, slimy. I suppose one positive is the well-hidden ABV.

D - Easily one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. Competitive with Keith's. (696 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +13.7%

A - Colored like dried tobacco, slightly hazy at first pour, but it mellows out and becomes clear.

S - Smells a bit like candy corn, a little sugary and buttery. There is a citric smell in there as well.

T - There is a hop presence, and it comes off kind of like lime. It is polluted, however, by diacetyl, and a weird butterieness that isn't very good.

M - Builds up a coating in your mouth. Not really a fan here.

O - Not a terrible brew, but not one worth going for either. (483 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +24.9%

I bought a couple of bottles of Amnesia IPA while traveling recently in Nevada. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright a copper color and is clear. Creamy white two-finger head caps the beer and leaves some dainty lace rings on the glass.

Smell is faint and fairly nondescript. A hint of citrus aroma perhaps.

Taste is a little fruity upfront, Pink grapefruit and sweet lemon, but then it gives way to a dry bitterness with a soapy flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp effervescent and clean.

Overall I think it is better than most of the reviews it is getting here. It's drinkable, but I probably wouldn't have it again. (621 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -24.5%

Wow, one of the worst beers I've ever had! Pours a dark copper, almost ruby. Clear, no head, retention or lacing. Smell is soapy and yeasty (I swear). Taste is way off. Slightly grassy, more soap, off taste, very slight hops. Mouthfeel was fine but that doesnt make up for much. Just not a great beer and my first drain pour I've had in forever. (345 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a tulip.

A - Reddish-gold, with 3-4 fingers of off-white head that's dropping, but leaving thin, intricate lacing. I wasn't expecting sediment, so when it showed up in the last ounce or so I accidentally let some in, and it's showing off a feathery plume in the center of the glass. Besides the unintentional yeast, this looks pretty damn good.

S - Smells reminiscent of a German [doppel]bock. Some nice, caramelly malts and something that smells like lager yeast, I think. There's something a little off that I can't place, but that might be paranoia. Not very interesting, but fine.

T - Kinda bland. There are some decent amber and caramel sweet malts, and it's rather smooth. Some yeast flavor, but not much. The slightest bit of hops in the aftertaste. I think dumping in some sediment helped this beer by giving me more to taste.

M - Thin to medium mouthfeel, with a touch of carbonation. Not bad.

Overall, meh. This isn't actively bad; it's merely passively bad. Just... meh. Considering how similar this experience was to the last killshot, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is Indian Wells -- perhaps Lobotomy Bock? What an appropriate name that would be.

Non-blind comments: Well, I got the brewery right, but... Amnesia IPA? Really?? There is no way in hell this is an IPA. As I'm finishing up the glass, I guess I can see some more hoppish qualities, but that's just because I'm looking for it. If I had been rating to style (not blind), I probably would have been harsher. (1,564 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6.4%

Found on sale @7,99 so I thought I would give it a whirl. Poured from bottle into a goblet. color is an amber with small white head that left quickly with little lacing. Smelled of caramel malts with over ripe apricots. Mild hop aroma. Taste was much like the smell with mostly malt coming thru. Not to style and a total dissipointment. Beer was thin and watery and after a few minutes was flat. Overall it was not to style, more like a mild Scottish ale that would rate a C-, nothing like and IPA. I did't drainpour but didn't really enjoy. (541 characters)

Amnesia IPA from Indian Wells Brewing Company