Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008)
2.8/5  rDev +10.7%

1.25/5  rDev -50.6%

I actually stopped at this brewery on my way home from Mammoth. When you walk in you get more of a factory operation feeling than a beer loving microbrewery feeling. They seem to have more than half of their store dedicated to soda. They did have tastings and their flagship beer aged in oak barrels seemed like a waste of oak barrels. Getting to the beer...I'm not going to say it's the worst beer I've had but it's not far from it. I would not purchase this beer again unless it was around the price of Natty ice. It has a clean taste yet lacks the signature taste you get from certain IPA's. The carbonation is weird too...almost as if they gave it extra carbonation or something from their soda machines. For $7.99+ for a six pack your money will be better spend on something like Sierra Nevada.

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

3.4/5  rDev +34.4%

2.5/5  rDev -1.2%

3.13/5  rDev +23.7%

1.96/5  rDev -22.5%

Creamy taste like no other IPA Ive tasted. Has no resemblance of an IPA in taste, feel and smell. Not much going on here and rather boring. I still cant believe its an IPA. Think i will skip trying this brew company for now but wish them the best of luck. :-)

1.5/5  rDev -40.7%

Isn't an IPA supposed to have some bitter quality from the hops? What I tasted was more sour than anything (perhaps they should just call it a sour beer). Also, not sure why there were proteins floating around in the beer. Shouldn't a professional brewery know how to get that out of the beer? This is he second of four styles I bought from these guys today, and so far they both sucked.

2.25/5  rDev -11.1%

1.95/5  rDev -22.9%

I've been reading and consulting BA for a long time, but this is the beer that made me register. It's the worst craft beer I've ever had. In addition to the sub par taste and aroma, the carbonation on it was out of control. First I sipped from the bottle and the gases kind of exploded in my mouth! Then I decided to pour into a glass to let it mellow out for a while. Despite my slow and careful pour, the foam overflowed and I was left with a head that took up most of the glass. I put it in the fridge to try again later - took one more sip and poured the rest down the sink. I live in Singapore now where American craft beer is super expensive (about $7 USD for a 12oz bottle), so I'm glad this was a gift and not something I bought myself.

1.78/5  rDev -29.6%

Mother of gawd, I didn't even look at the reviews before I reviewed this brew. But fack, this is just downright awful. this tastes like rotten fruit, and I even received a fresh bottle. This is just very bland, no citrus from "6" hops, just blah. I'm sorry, if you crafted this, I commend you, but please try this different. There's nothing from the hops other than bitter, the only thing noticeable is the bitter and the malt. The only good thing I can say from this is I'm feeling light headed. Can't believe I spent $7 on a bottle of this. Do yourself a favor if you're a beer nerd, you probably know the store owner, ask him for an exchange.

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

3.23/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured straight from bottle to a chilled glass.

Appearance - To me it looks like your typical IPA, dark amber color with a touch of light brown. After pouring there wasn't much head, about a fingers worth. Quickly dissipates to a thin and hardly noticeable head. Noticeable lacing around the glass.

Smell - For some reason, I immediately thought of pizza dough when I took a sniff of this beer. Some caramel hints but not much hop presence that I can smell.

Taste - After reading some of the reviews on this one, I really didn't think this beer was going to taste good. I have to disagree here. The first thing I notice as I take a drink is the piney hop flavor that really presents itself without being too bitter. The hops tie in nicely to the malt and caramel flavors in this beer, but I will say that for an IPA it isn't as bitter as I would like. It does taste good, but it doesn't scream IPA.

Mouth - Feels light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down decently smooth but the carbonation lightly tickles the back of the throat. It is a little watery.

Overall - It seems that this is either a love it or hate it beer. I have to say that it isn't amazing but it is quite drinkable. My main gripe with it is that it really doesn't seem like a true IPA. The hops just aren't there like they should be. The other flavors that come through kind of make up for this, though. If you're expecting a true, bitter IPA then you will be disappointed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack but I may be tempted to pick up a single bottle later on down the road.

4.25/5  rDev +68%