Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008)
Reviews by StLThrash:
2.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Received as an extra in a trade with Rizalini... thanks Bryin. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A - slightly hazy, orangeish, very little head and what there was dissipated quickly. Just a slight bit of lacing from the first ring.

S - medicinal, earthy, a slight bit of pine, no citrus, but almost like cooked vegetables. strange smell - definitely not a true hoppy IPA smell.

T - Decent - nothing special, but nothing too nasty. I was a little worried considering the other reviews.

M - Kind of flat. Not a lot of carbonation. Not really smooth. One and done with this one. Glad I only had 1.

Overall - avoid. Nothing special here. I think the Poor rating is maybe just a bit harsh, but I definitely wouldn't buy it.

StLThrash, Apr 13, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured straight from bottle to a chilled glass.

Appearance - To me it looks like your typical IPA, dark amber color with a touch of light brown. After pouring there wasn't much head, about a fingers worth. Quickly dissipates to a thin and hardly noticeable head. Noticeable lacing around the glass.

Smell - For some reason, I immediately thought of pizza dough when I took a sniff of this beer. Some caramel hints but not much hop presence that I can smell.

Taste - After reading some of the reviews on this one, I really didn't think this beer was going to taste good. I have to disagree here. The first thing I notice as I take a drink is the piney hop flavor that really presents itself without being too bitter. The hops tie in nicely to the malt and caramel flavors in this beer, but I will say that for an IPA it isn't as bitter as I would like. It does taste good, but it doesn't scream IPA.

Mouth - Feels light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down decently smooth but the carbonation lightly tickles the back of the throat. It is a little watery.

Overall - It seems that this is either a love it or hate it beer. I have to say that it isn't amazing but it is quite drinkable. My main gripe with it is that it really doesn't seem like a true IPA. The hops just aren't there like they should be. The other flavors that come through kind of make up for this, though. If you're expecting a true, bitter IPA then you will be disappointed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack but I may be tempted to pick up a single bottle later on down the road.

SteadySippin, Nov 06, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

aquazr1, Aug 11, 2013
2.31/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Dang, those before me are a little harsh. Pours a little cloudy dark yellow/orange, good head. Smell, nothing coming out, some unfinished alcohol remnants (acetyl something right?).

Taste, yeah, its bitter, not bitter balanced, just bitter, alcohol very pronounced. Mouthfeel is a little on the not good sour side. Drinkability, a little too acidic o have a bunch, but they do the trick. Not the greatest effort, but I've had worse.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 24, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -29.9%

A friend of mine picked up a six pack of this swill last week. Their is a slight hop presence in the nose but once it hits your tastebuds it's absolutely terrible. This was a terrible Ipa and the only thing i would compare it to is watered down motts applesauce.

ELDAVIS69, Jan 21, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -5.5%

A big light tan head settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored IPA.

Sour grains and light earthy pine with a weird soapiness aroma.

Light caramel malts with a light sour to almost soapy pine and maybe a hint of floral hops taste.

A light dry aftertaste with hints of caramel on this medium bodied beer.

Not much for a IPA, might work as a light amber, light red, either way I think I'm gonna have to pass on buying any more beers from Indian Wells, unless of course down the road I hear that things have changed for the better their.

LXIXME, Aug 15, 2012
2.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The lack of creativity and simplicity of the label spurred the purchase of this beer. I figure that a brewery that doesn't have flashy design must use the quality of their product to sell via word of mouth... right? I have been schooled.

The beer pours a hazed orange terra-cotta color with a grayish tan cap. Not great retention but there is some spit looking suds that stick to the edges of the glass.

Nowhere are the hops I expect to smell from an American IPA. The overall scent is muted stale grains and a hint of bitterness. A bad start.

The taste is equally underwhelming. Again no hops except for a bitterness that can be confused with over carbonation. The stale malts from the nose turn into a copper flavor and lose any semblance of the original character they might have had.

The mouthfeel is good despite the lack of nose and taste. The bitterness is present that one would expect from an IPA and the beer has a certain something that makes it drinkable. If the mouthfeel were to falter this would be an instant drain pour. For now I'll suffer through because I paid for it.

This is a poor beer. It's not tasty in any way and nothing except the metallic bitterness resembles the style. In the long run this beer tastes like a cheap mineral water and in my book should be avoided or at least called something other then IPA. I guess the cheap label is indicative of the cheap swill inside and I hope the amnesia kicks in and helps me forget that I still have 5 more in the fridge.

jbphoto88, Aug 08, 2009

ste5venla, Oct 31, 2013
1.2/5  rDev -52.8%

12oz bottle thanks to largadeer.

Pours medium amber with a small white head. Doesn't look terrible.

Floral hop aroma and...AH INDIAN WELLS!!! Some serious weird stuff going on. Some bad earthiness to it.

The flavor is really rancid. Sickening even. I can't even say why it is, but it's dirty tasting and vegetal.

The palate is thin and astringent. Just not good, and didn't sit well in my stomach.

One of the worst IPAs I've had. I hope I get amnesia and forget this experience.

nickd717, Nov 02, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a light, translucent copper with a 1-finger head that quickly disappears. No lacing.

The smell is really subdued throughout, just sweet caramel malts, wheat & a hint of herbal hops. The taste is dominated by sweetness from the malts, it's bready with just a slight hint of citrusy hops. Mouthfeel is crisp at first but then sticky.

I don't know what this beer is, but it is not like any IPA I've ever had. Where are the hops? Why is it so dominated by sweet malt? I'll pass on this next time.

theghost3, Jun 19, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +37.8%

Booner818, Nov 17, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -27.2%

This beer is terrible. Got a six pack at whole foods, bad idea. Being an aussie I can't waste beer; that said I am going to really struggle through these.

App: Light copper colour, low carbonation with little head. Smell: vegetable, hops malt and maybe something else nasty. Taste: Bad, some kind of bitter vegetable flavour.

Leave this one one the shelf.

dwheeler, Jan 03, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a cloudy light copper colour. Decent amount of head, and the lacing isnt that bad either. However, a shade lighter and I may confuse it for a Hefe if you just sat it down and told me to guess.

Theres is very little on the nose. Faint somewhat stale hop aroma, and a little bit of malt. No pine or woodsyness, nor anything remotely floral.

Like in the nose, I got this hop taste that was...well, stale is the best way I can put it...like the hops were past their prime. It wasnt very pleasant. Abv claims 7%+, which I may believe, as there is a little warm sensation after a few sips. This thing just doesnt have much balance to it.

The feel is average I'd say. Not horrible, but had the hops have been fresh tasting, a cleaner, refreshing bite would have been nice.

For the price, and the over all experience, drinkability falls to the wayside. Maybe an unexperienced IPA drinker may find it palatable, but me being an IPA fan, even the most average of the average tower over this in drinkability.

This beer is basically good to get another notch on the old belt , but nothing more. Try one, and then forget you ever did.

EgadBananas, Apr 10, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

gtermi, Oct 06, 2012
2.63/5  rDev +3.5%

One of the first new things I tried over the weekend, I have to admit I had never even heard of this one before when I saw it sitting there. I figured it could not hurt so I went in and tried it. Decent pour, nothing mind blowing, but decent for the style. Medium amber in color with a soft white head of foam that capped the top of the glass rather nicely. Faded out fairly quickly though and left behind a nearly bare top with minimal lacing and some carbonation coming up from the surface. Aroma is very light, nearly non existent at times but what you can find is a light citric hoppiness, caramel and bready malts, well balanced, but again just very light and this carries over in the flavor profile as well. Very light, nearly watered down flavor with a very over carbonated body leads to some very lack luster impressions. Soft hops are quickly shunned by a grainy malt bill that all but over rides their presence. Thin feel is way over carbonated and this too leads to it coming across as if it was far lighter then it should have been. It was clean and quite drinkable it was just the lack of depth in the flavor that would keep me from coming back to it again.

Overall I will have to pass on this one, just too bland for me.

mikesgroove, Apr 14, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Brown. Cloudy. Off white head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Malts and hops. pretty nice. Actually the best part of this beer.

Taste: Strange hop selection. English noble? Not an american IPA here.

Mouthfeel: Very dry. Astringent. Light bodied.

Drinkability: Literally hard to get down

Squelch, Jan 24, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -50.8%

Appearance: Murky, hazy pondwaterish amber. A white head rises to about an inch and dissipates quickly.

Smell: Malty and bready; a bit of mineral and a hint of sulphur, almost like a natural hot spring. Yeah, this is kind of gross. Not much hop aroma to speak of, perhaps a touch of citrusy cascade that barely rises above the warm bog aroma.

Taste & mouthfeel: A fairly dry biscuity malt base makes up the bulk of the flavor; for an IPA, there's not actually a lot of hop flavor, or bitterness for that matter. There's something noticeably off here too, a funky mineral-esque character that becomes more and more of a detraction with each sip. This is truly bad stuff.

largadeer, Aug 07, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +31.9%

This is a very weird beer. Amnesia I.P.A. has a thin, egg-shell colored head and a hazy, dark amber appearance that really clouds up once one swishes the bottom 20% and pours it in. Little brown chunks are also floating about. The aroma is rich, caramel, grapefruit, and spicy, but the flavor comes across flat, watery, somewhat fruity (turned fruit, really), and odd. Mouthfeel is medium and fluffy, and Anmesia I.P.A. finishes fairly refreshing, yet one gets a bit of a turned flavor. Certainly, if nothing else, it's interesting. I'd say it's worth a try for those who like off-the-wall beer flavors.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 11, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -31.1%

alwaysplayin, May 10, 2013

Steven1024, Sep 28, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +33.9%

I think all of the previous reviews must've been from a bad batch, because I get no alcohol on the nose, the appearance isn't cloudy at all, but a clear amber.

And to those who say no hops, y'all must've had a really old bottle or they changed their recipe because the hops blast you first in the nose, and then on the tongue. The hops linger in your mouth even 10 minutes after drinking.

Mouthfeel is the most disappointing aspect of this beer, as it just feels empty. Malts are seemingly non-existent, and it has a slight watery mouthfeel to it. I can't taste or smell the alcohol.

Overall this is a decent hop forward IPA, but lacks balance.

hayalex6, Mar 06, 2010