Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.
to view more.
Ratings: 102 | Reviews: 58
Reviews by SteadySippin:
3.2/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured straight from bottle to a chilled glass.

Appearance - To me it looks like your typical IPA, dark amber color with a touch of light brown. After pouring there wasn't much head, about a fingers worth. Quickly dissipates to a thin and hardly noticeable head. Noticeable lacing around the glass.

Smell - For some reason, I immediately thought of pizza dough when I took a sniff of this beer. Some caramel hints but not much hop presence that I can smell.

Taste - After reading some of the reviews on this one, I really didn't think this beer was going to taste good. I have to disagree here. The first thing I notice as I take a drink is the piney hop flavor that really presents itself without being too bitter. The hops tie in nicely to the malt and caramel flavors in this beer, but I will say that for an IPA it isn't as bitter as I would like. It does taste good, but it doesn't scream IPA.

Mouth - Feels light bodied with medium carbonation. Goes down decently smooth but the carbonation lightly tickles the back of the throat. It is a little watery.

Overall - It seems that this is either a love it or hate it beer. I have to say that it isn't amazing but it is quite drinkable. My main gripe with it is that it really doesn't seem like a true IPA. The hops just aren't there like they should be. The other flavors that come through kind of make up for this, though. If you're expecting a true, bitter IPA then you will be disappointed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack but I may be tempted to pick up a single bottle later on down the road.

2.32/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Dang, those before me are a little harsh. Pours a little cloudy dark yellow/orange, good head. Smell, nothing coming out, some unfinished alcohol remnants (acetyl something right?).

Taste, yeah, its bitter, not bitter balanced, just bitter, alcohol very pronounced. Mouthfeel is a little on the not good sour side. Drinkability, a little too acidic o have a bunch, but they do the trick. Not the greatest effort, but I've had worse.

1.79/5  rDev -29.8%

A friend of mine picked up a six pack of this swill last week. Their is a slight hop presence in the nose but once it hits your tastebuds it's absolutely terrible. This was a terrible Ipa and the only thing i would compare it to is watered down motts applesauce.

2.44/5  rDev -4.3%

A big light tan head settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored IPA.

Sour grains and light earthy pine with a weird soapiness aroma.

Light caramel malts with a light sour to almost soapy pine and maybe a hint of floral hops taste.

A light dry aftertaste with hints of caramel on this medium bodied beer.

Not much for a IPA, might work as a light amber, light red, either way I think I'm gonna have to pass on buying any more beers from Indian Wells, unless of course down the road I hear that things have changed for the better their.

2.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The lack of creativity and simplicity of the label spurred the purchase of this beer. I figure that a brewery that doesn't have flashy design must use the quality of their product to sell via word of mouth... right? I have been schooled.

The beer pours a hazed orange terra-cotta color with a grayish tan cap. Not great retention but there is some spit looking suds that stick to the edges of the glass.

Nowhere are the hops I expect to smell from an American IPA. The overall scent is muted stale grains and a hint of bitterness. A bad start.

The taste is equally underwhelming. Again no hops except for a bitterness that can be confused with over carbonation. The stale malts from the nose turn into a copper flavor and lose any semblance of the original character they might have had.

The mouthfeel is good despite the lack of nose and taste. The bitterness is present that one would expect from an IPA and the beer has a certain something that makes it drinkable. If the mouthfeel were to falter this would be an instant drain pour. For now I'll suffer through because I paid for it.

This is a poor beer. It's not tasty in any way and nothing except the metallic bitterness resembles the style. In the long run this beer tastes like a cheap mineral water and in my book should be avoided or at least called something other then IPA. I guess the cheap label is indicative of the cheap swill inside and I hope the amnesia kicks in and helps me forget that I still have 5 more in the fridge.

1.24/5  rDev -51.4%

12oz bottle thanks to largadeer.

Pours medium amber with a small white head. Doesn't look terrible.

Floral hop aroma and...AH INDIAN WELLS!!! Some serious weird stuff going on. Some bad earthiness to it.

The flavor is really rancid. Sickening even. I can't even say why it is, but it's dirty tasting and vegetal.

The palate is thin and astringent. Just not good, and didn't sit well in my stomach.

One of the worst IPAs I've had. I hope I get amnesia and forget this experience.

1.74/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Just no. This did NOT taste like an ipa at all. Off aroma followed by an almost non existent hop profile. It basically tastes like a mediocre homebrew.

2.18/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a light, translucent copper with a 1-finger head that quickly disappears. No lacing.

The smell is really subdued throughout, just sweet caramel malts, wheat & a hint of herbal hops. The taste is dominated by sweetness from the malts, it's bready with just a slight hint of citrusy hops. Mouthfeel is crisp at first but then sticky.

I don't know what this beer is, but it is not like any IPA I've ever had. Where are the hops? Why is it so dominated by sweet malt? I'll pass on this next time.

1.86/5  rDev -27.1%

This beer is terrible. Got a six pack at whole foods, bad idea. Being an aussie I can't waste beer; that said I am going to really struggle through these.

App: Light copper colour, low carbonation with little head. Smell: vegetable, hops malt and maybe something else nasty. Taste: Bad, some kind of bitter vegetable flavour.

Leave this one one the shelf.

1.95/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a cloudy light copper colour. Decent amount of head, and the lacing isnt that bad either. However, a shade lighter and I may confuse it for a Hefe if you just sat it down and told me to guess.

Theres is very little on the nose. Faint somewhat stale hop aroma, and a little bit of malt. No pine or woodsyness, nor anything remotely floral.

Like in the nose, I got this hop taste that was...well, stale is the best way I can put it...like the hops were past their prime. It wasnt very pleasant. Abv claims 7%+, which I may believe, as there is a little warm sensation after a few sips. This thing just doesnt have much balance to it.

The feel is average I'd say. Not horrible, but had the hops have been fresh tasting, a cleaner, refreshing bite would have been nice.

For the price, and the over all experience, drinkability falls to the wayside. Maybe an unexperienced IPA drinker may find it palatable, but me being an IPA fan, even the most average of the average tower over this in drinkability.

This beer is basically good to get another notch on the old belt , but nothing more. Try one, and then forget you ever did.

2.63/5  rDev +3.1%

One of the first new things I tried over the weekend, I have to admit I had never even heard of this one before when I saw it sitting there. I figured it could not hurt so I went in and tried it. Decent pour, nothing mind blowing, but decent for the style. Medium amber in color with a soft white head of foam that capped the top of the glass rather nicely. Faded out fairly quickly though and left behind a nearly bare top with minimal lacing and some carbonation coming up from the surface. Aroma is very light, nearly non existent at times but what you can find is a light citric hoppiness, caramel and bready malts, well balanced, but again just very light and this carries over in the flavor profile as well. Very light, nearly watered down flavor with a very over carbonated body leads to some very lack luster impressions. Soft hops are quickly shunned by a grainy malt bill that all but over rides their presence. Thin feel is way over carbonated and this too leads to it coming across as if it was far lighter then it should have been. It was clean and quite drinkable it was just the lack of depth in the flavor that would keep me from coming back to it again.

Overall I will have to pass on this one, just too bland for me.

2.85/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Brown. Cloudy. Off white head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Malts and hops. pretty nice. Actually the best part of this beer.

Taste: Strange hop selection. English noble? Not an american IPA here.

Mouthfeel: Very dry. Astringent. Light bodied.

Drinkability: Literally hard to get down

1.28/5  rDev -49.8%

Appearance: Murky, hazy pondwaterish amber. A white head rises to about an inch and dissipates quickly.

Smell: Malty and bready; a bit of mineral and a hint of sulphur, almost like a natural hot spring. Yeah, this is kind of gross. Not much hop aroma to speak of, perhaps a touch of citrusy cascade that barely rises above the warm bog aroma.

Taste & mouthfeel: A fairly dry biscuity malt base makes up the bulk of the flavor; for an IPA, there's not actually a lot of hop flavor, or bitterness for that matter. There's something noticeably off here too, a funky mineral-esque character that becomes more and more of a detraction with each sip. This is truly bad stuff.

3.39/5  rDev +32.9%

This is a very weird beer. Amnesia I.P.A. has a thin, egg-shell colored head and a hazy, dark amber appearance that really clouds up once one swishes the bottom 20% and pours it in. Little brown chunks are also floating about. The aroma is rich, caramel, grapefruit, and spicy, but the flavor comes across flat, watery, somewhat fruity (turned fruit, really), and odd. Mouthfeel is medium and fluffy, and Anmesia I.P.A. finishes fairly refreshing, yet one gets a bit of a turned flavor. Certainly, if nothing else, it's interesting. I'd say it's worth a try for those who like off-the-wall beer flavors.

RJT

3.44/5  rDev +34.9%

I think all of the previous reviews must've been from a bad batch, because I get no alcohol on the nose, the appearance isn't cloudy at all, but a clear amber.

And to those who say no hops, y'all must've had a really old bottle or they changed their recipe because the hops blast you first in the nose, and then on the tongue. The hops linger in your mouth even 10 minutes after drinking.

Mouthfeel is the most disappointing aspect of this beer, as it just feels empty. Malts are seemingly non-existent, and it has a slight watery mouthfeel to it. I can't taste or smell the alcohol.

Overall this is a decent hop forward IPA, but lacks balance.

2.96/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a tulip.

A - Reddish-gold, with 3-4 fingers of off-white head that's dropping, but leaving thin, intricate lacing. I wasn't expecting sediment, so when it showed up in the last ounce or so I accidentally let some in, and it's showing off a feathery plume in the center of the glass. Besides the unintentional yeast, this looks pretty damn good.

S - Smells reminiscent of a German [doppel]bock. Some nice, caramelly malts and something that smells like lager yeast, I think. There's something a little off that I can't place, but that might be paranoia. Not very interesting, but fine.

T - Kinda bland. There are some decent amber and caramel sweet malts, and it's rather smooth. Some yeast flavor, but not much. The slightest bit of hops in the aftertaste. I think dumping in some sediment helped this beer by giving me more to taste.

M - Thin to medium mouthfeel, with a touch of carbonation. Not bad.

Overall, meh. This isn't actively bad; it's merely passively bad. Just... meh. Considering how similar this experience was to the last killshot, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is Indian Wells -- perhaps Lobotomy Bock? What an appropriate name that would be.

Non-blind comments: Well, I got the brewery right, but... Amnesia IPA? Really?? There is no way in hell this is an IPA. As I'm finishing up the glass, I guess I can see some more hoppish qualities, but that's just because I'm looking for it. If I had been rating to style (not blind), I probably would have been harsher.

3.76/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dope ass IPA, and gets you buzzin for sure!

1.56/5  rDev -38.8%

Isn't an IPA supposed to have some bitter quality from the hops? What I tasted was more sour than anything (perhaps they should just call it a sour beer). Also, not sure why there were proteins floating around in the beer. Shouldn't a professional brewery know how to get that out of the beer? This is he second of four styles I bought from these guys today, and so far they both sucked.

1.76/5  rDev -31%

Wow, one of the worst beers I've ever had! Pours a dark copper, almost ruby. Clear, no head, retention or lacing. Smell is soapy and yeasty (I swear). Taste is way off. Slightly grassy, more soap, off taste, very slight hops. Mouthfeel was fine but that doesnt make up for much. Just not a great beer and my first drain pour I've had in forever.

1.99/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another great thanks to spycow for supplying us with this amazing brew.

A - A little bit brownish for an IPA, but looks fine. Brownish orange color with a hazy body and a pretty nice looking white head it. Moderate lace.

S - Smells obnoxiously sweet and candy like.

T - Not sure what this taste is excactly. Broccoli? Cauliflower? Odd herbal and garden tastes. Not good at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Maybe the taste is making my mind play tricks on me, but somehow it feels gross.

O - Yuck. Don't drink this. Freakin' horrible.

2.14/5  rDev -16.1%

Amnesia IPA
bottle to glass

when i saw this in the store, i didn't want to get it at first, but it was on sale. the label looks uninspired, but i decided to try it anyway.

pours attractively dark and hazy amber color. the head, however, is tiny and disappears in seconds, leaving no lace whatsoever.

nose is of grassy hops and some caramel malt. not much else, and not very impressive for an IPA. taste is pretty bland. the hops are dull and nearly nonexistent, the caramel malt takes over and something else sticks to the palate...something metallic or earthy. i can't quite put my finger on this taste. whatever it is, it's bad. mouthfeel is thin, slick, unpleasant. drinkability is very low to low. nearly lacking in any taste, especially the hops i was expecting. it's like if inbev tried to make an IPA this is what would come out.

2.31/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Dark amber color. Low carbonation pours into a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles pretty quickly leaving a little blanket of spotty foam on the surface. A bit of spotty lacing remains.

S: Sharp hops, pine nuts, and a hint of citrus. Kind of a soapy, musty nose.

T: Hops are not as sharp as the nose gives off. As a matter of fact they're quite dull and subdued. It is, however, really piny if you like that sort of thing (unfortunately, I don't consider this a good quality).

M: Has a kinda' musty quality to it. A light bodied beer with a steely aftertaste.

D: Serviceable. . . I mean, there are certainly quite a number of beers that I would want to drink less than I would this one. So, it's got that going for it. . . which is nice.

Atmosphere is decent. Really nice appearance (but that's where the train starts to get off the tracks), and the nose is pretty similar to most any other IPA, but has an "old-sittin'-around-gathering-dust" quality. The flavor, unfortunately, falls a little flat. Hops are really washed out and lackluster. Also, a musty feel and steely finish don't help the cause. Overall, this quaff has been found lacking (which is disappointing because I really enjoy a good IPA.)

3.03/5  rDev +18.8%

Served on tap in a pilsner glass at the Brewery. The beer had an amber color to it, with a decent thick, foamy head. Minimal hops aroma in comparison to most IPAs. The beer had a mild hop-forward flavor, and tasted almost in between the flavors of tradition west coast fresh-hop IPAs and east coast IPAs. The feel of it was unremarkable in mouth, with a flat, crisp edge to it. Aftertaste was also middle of the road when compared to most IPAs. The beer itself was easy to drink, and the flavor was enjoyable. One of the stronger productions from this brewery, but mediocre with what is available out there in the IPA genre.

1.25/5  rDev -51%

I actually stopped at this brewery on my way home from Mammoth. When you walk in you get more of a factory operation feeling than a beer loving microbrewery feeling. They seem to have more than half of their store dedicated to soda. They did have tastings and their flagship beer aged in oak barrels seemed like a waste of oak barrels. Getting to the beer...I'm not going to say it's the worst beer I've had but it's not far from it. I would not purchase this beer again unless it was around the price of Natty ice. It has a clean taste yet lacks the signature taste you get from certain IPA's. The carbonation is weird too...almost as if they gave it extra carbonation or something from their soda machines. For $7.99+ for a six pack your money will be better spend on something like Sierra Nevada.

2.5/5  rDev -2%

taste- malted toast, bacony

color- amber

clarity- slightly cloudy, sediment

smell- very alcoholic

body- barleywine-like, full body, smooth

appearance- sleeper, unassuming

overall impression- fell short, not my style

notes- i was expecting one thing and got another, and not in a good way. this review is for a 2008 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: pint