Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
blastoderm55

06-07-2013 02:35:50 | More by blastoderm55
nickd717

1.2/5  rDev -51.6%

12oz bottle thanks to largadeer.

Pours medium amber with a small white head. Doesn't look terrible.

Floral hop aroma and...AH INDIAN WELLS!!! Some serious weird stuff going on. Some bad earthiness to it.

The flavor is really rancid. Sickening even. I can't even say why it is, but it's dirty tasting and vegetal.

The palate is thin and astringent. Just not good, and didn't sit well in my stomach.

One of the worst IPAs I've had. I hope I get amnesia and forget this experience.

11-02-2010 18:07:06 | More by nickd717
largadeer

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

Appearance: Murky, hazy pondwaterish amber. A white head rises to about an inch and dissipates quickly.

Smell: Malty and bready; a bit of mineral and a hint of sulphur, almost like a natural hot spring. Yeah, this is kind of gross. Not much hop aroma to speak of, perhaps a touch of citrusy cascade that barely rises above the warm bog aroma.

Taste & mouthfeel: A fairly dry biscuity malt base makes up the bulk of the flavor; for an IPA, there's not actually a lot of hop flavor, or bitterness for that matter. There's something noticeably off here too, a funky mineral-esque character that becomes more and more of a detraction with each sip. This is truly bad stuff.

08-07-2008 00:08:53 | More by largadeer
westcoastbeerlvr

1.25/5  rDev -49.6%

01-10-2013 19:08:07 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
ricand

1.27/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

On a whim, I bought a 6er of this at Whole Foods, all 6 are going in the sink. Life's too short to drink this beer. Light foamy top (not a head, just little foam on the top) which quickly went away leaving a limpid pool of amber. There is so very little body and mouth feel. Think of bitter sugar water. It went in the sink.. I really need to have these reviews available on cell so we can check at the store.

08-15-2008 00:22:15 | More by ricand
LSUPT

1.3/5  rDev -47.6%

I don't know why people buy this stuff but it always seems to be around. 12oz bottle, no freshness date, poured to a Stone IPA glass.

Beige tinted 2" head, that shows decent retention, and actually leaves a bit of honeycomb lacing on its way down and leaves rings throughout. Color is not great though. Medium brown and quite hazy and cloudy.

Smell, what smell? If you really get in there you can pull a hint of roast malt. Taste is awful. I prefer BMC. Slight burnt malt, yeasty, and caramel with a metallic finish, mmm. Slight bitterness and a watery thin mouthfeel.

God awful.

11-28-2011 22:05:27 | More by LSUPT
Floydster

1.33/5  rDev -46.4%

12 ounce purchased as part of a six pack for seven dollars from Whole Foods in El Segundo, opened another bottle to make sure the first was not a bad one, both the same and I do not know what to do with other four now, poured into a pint glass

A-Golden amber color that is a little cloudy, absolutely no head or lacing, flat and funky looking brew
S-Malt, caramel, toffee, some grass, no hoppiness, random sweetness, and rotten fruit
T-Not much here, the only taste that sticks out at the beginning is taosted or biscuity-malt, then some weird sweet flavor in the finish, where are the hops, they are seriosuly nowhere to be found, does not change much over time, just gets worse, no citrus, pine, or anything, the taste is helpless
M-Sweet and tangy mouthfeel, thin bodied, not enough carbonation, taste lingered unfortunately
D-Could not drink a twelve ounce serving, poured it out, flavor was unbearable and sweet accents added heaviness, not smooth or enjoyable

Honestly the worst IPA I have ever had, this beer has my vote for my worst of 2008 period, starting to see why this brewery does not get more credit in the area, will never touch again, probably ending throwing the others out because I am embarrassed to even give these out as extras, do yourself a favor and do not drink this for any reason

10-01-2008 04:53:47 | More by Floydster
jbuckhead

1.5/5  rDev -39.5%

Isn't an IPA supposed to have some bitter quality from the hops? What I tasted was more sour than anything (perhaps they should just call it a sour beer). Also, not sure why there were proteins floating around in the beer. Shouldn't a professional brewery know how to get that out of the beer? This is he second of four styles I bought from these guys today, and so far they both sucked.

07-21-2014 04:02:14 | More by jbuckhead
wc87

1.63/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance:
Hazy amber with a smallish off-white head that disappeared rather quickly. Lacing is ok, not spectacular, but not bad.
Aroma:
This is an IPA? Smells like a brown ale.
Taste:
Not bad for a brown, but certainly not an IPA. Caramel notes, Slightly bitter finish. No pine notes?
Thin, watery.
Drinkability:
It's drinkable, but did someone switch labels on me? Waitress, I believe I ordered an IPA...;)

This is my first review, so take it for what it's worth. However, I was expecting a bit more from this beer. I was expecting an American IPA but it's more a strong brown or a subdued pale ale.

07-10-2010 00:42:33 | More by wc87
wagenvolks

1.7/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

12oz bottle (single purchase) into a Carolina Brewing Co. pint glass.

Amnesia pours a golden-copperish hue with a decent clarity and a stubborn, off-white head. Decent retention and minimal lacing. This is an IPA, right? Because I'm getting major notes of wheat and fruity hefeweizen bouquets backed by some cooked veggies and sour whiskey mash. The hops finally show up after some digging, but it's too little too late, and the floral, tree-sap notes don't do much to resurrect the aroma on this beer.

Things start pleasantly, with some caramel malts, light booze, and toasted toffee notes. Again, I'm getting a wheaty, hefeweizen vibe. Where are the hops? Oh well, on to the mouthfeel. Somewhat chalky, well-carbonated body with a medium consistency. Ugh...in rushes a nasty medicinal aftertaste leaving sour notes of bitter aspirin all over the back of the palate. Not a fan at all. I hope this beer gives me Amnesia, because I want to forget this drain-pour as soon as possible.

02-26-2009 04:34:13 | More by wagenvolks
shakeheap

Oklahoma

1.73/5  rDev -30.2%

I admire the efforts of the little guys who go for wide distribution but I would recommend perfecting the recipe first. Slightly bitter but only for the sake of bitterness. Not a lot to comment on other than that.

I wanted to like this ale but the long and short of it is this is what I'd expect to taste if Anheuser Busch were to introduce and IPA. And I mean that only in the most respectful and kindest way.

11-14-2009 02:03:24 | More by shakeheap
alwaysplayin

05-10-2013 00:10:19 | More by alwaysplayin
JCC78

Mississippi

08-04-2013 19:27:28 | More by JCC78
sholland119

1.75/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Pours a muddy amber with a foamy off white head and lots of sticky lacing. Odd looking to say the least.

S-Lots of caramel malt, little to no discernible hop presence.

T-Pretty bad really. Pungent with a very light malt presence; some tangy hops in the mid palate.

M-Thin, watery, blah.

D-Pretty much undrinkable.

HV

03-02-2011 00:28:41 | More by sholland119
ELDAVIS69

1.78/5  rDev -28.2%

A friend of mine picked up a six pack of this swill last week. Their is a slight hop presence in the nose but once it hits your tastebuds it's absolutely terrible. This was a terrible Ipa and the only thing i would compare it to is watered down motts applesauce.

01-21-2010 18:37:38 | More by ELDAVIS69
santomark

1.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Mother of gawd, I didn't even look at the reviews before I reviewed this brew. But fack, this is just downright awful. this tastes like rotten fruit, and I even received a fresh bottle. This is just very bland, no citrus from "6" hops, just blah. I'm sorry, if you crafted this, I commend you, but please try this different. There's nothing from the hops other than bitter, the only thing noticeable is the bitter and the malt. The only good thing I can say from this is I'm feeling light headed. Can't believe I spent $7 on a bottle of this. Do yourself a favor if you're a beer nerd, you probably know the store owner, ask him for an exchange.

05-10-2014 08:28:29 | More by santomark
bunnyhustle

1.8/5  rDev -27.4%

Wow, one of the worst beers I've ever had! Pours a dark copper, almost ruby. Clear, no head, retention or lacing. Smell is soapy and yeasty (I swear). Taste is way off. Slightly grassy, more soap, off taste, very slight hops. Mouthfeel was fine but that doesnt make up for much. Just not a great beer and my first drain pour I've had in forever.

05-28-2011 04:03:38 | More by bunnyhustle
dwheeler

Australia

1.85/5  rDev -25.4%

This beer is terrible. Got a six pack at whole foods, bad idea. Being an aussie I can't waste beer; that said I am going to really struggle through these.

App: Light copper colour, low carbonation with little head. Smell: vegetable, hops malt and maybe something else nasty. Taste: Bad, some kind of bitter vegetable flavour.

Leave this one one the shelf.

01-03-2009 20:52:06 | More by dwheeler
AgentZero

1.93/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another great thanks to spycow for supplying us with this amazing brew.

A - A little bit brownish for an IPA, but looks fine. Brownish orange color with a hazy body and a pretty nice looking white head it. Moderate lace.

S - Smells obnoxiously sweet and candy like.

T - Not sure what this taste is excactly. Broccoli? Cauliflower? Odd herbal and garden tastes. Not good at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Maybe the taste is making my mind play tricks on me, but somehow it feels gross.

O - Yuck. Don't drink this. Freakin' horrible.

10-20-2011 15:56:18 | More by AgentZero
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.95/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a cloudy light copper colour. Decent amount of head, and the lacing isnt that bad either. However, a shade lighter and I may confuse it for a Hefe if you just sat it down and told me to guess.

Theres is very little on the nose. Faint somewhat stale hop aroma, and a little bit of malt. No pine or woodsyness, nor anything remotely floral.

Like in the nose, I got this hop taste that was...well, stale is the best way I can put it...like the hops were past their prime. It wasnt very pleasant. Abv claims 7%+, which I may believe, as there is a little warm sensation after a few sips. This thing just doesnt have much balance to it.

The feel is average I'd say. Not horrible, but had the hops have been fresh tasting, a cleaner, refreshing bite would have been nice.

For the price, and the over all experience, drinkability falls to the wayside. Maybe an unexperienced IPA drinker may find it palatable, but me being an IPA fan, even the most average of the average tower over this in drinkability.

This beer is basically good to get another notch on the old belt , but nothing more. Try one, and then forget you ever did.

04-09-2010 23:58:06 | More by EgadBananas
adept1

Singapore

1.95/5  rDev -21.4%

I've been reading and consulting BA for a long time, but this is the beer that made me register. It's the worst craft beer I've ever had. In addition to the sub par taste and aroma, the carbonation on it was out of control. First I sipped from the bottle and the gases kind of exploded in my mouth! Then I decided to pour into a glass to let it mellow out for a while. Despite my slow and careful pour, the foam overflowed and I was left with a head that took up most of the glass. I put it in the fridge to try again later - took one more sip and poured the rest down the sink. I live in Singapore now where American craft beer is super expensive (about $7 USD for a 12oz bottle), so I'm glad this was a gift and not something I bought myself.

05-17-2014 08:17:31 | More by adept1
ds18425

1.96/5  rDev -21%

Creamy taste like no other IPA Ive tasted. Has no resemblance of an IPA in taste, feel and smell. Not much going on here and rather boring. I still cant believe its an IPA. Think i will skip trying this brew company for now but wish them the best of luck. :-)

07-23-2014 22:08:57 | More by ds18425
ste5venla

10-31-2013 02:15:15 | More by ste5venla
mhaugo

12-18-2011 18:52:52 | More by mhaugo
Overlord

Uber-strange beer. Not sure why it's called an IPA. If anything, kind of a weird malty barley-winey ... thing.

Pours amber. Smells like ... weird musty pine/vegetables. Taste has a bready maltiness that seems somewhat rancid and sickly sweet. What bitterness there are seems to be as much a metallic chemical burn as anything else.

Watery, not a tremendous effort.

10-31-2008 10:18:42 | More by Overlord