Amnesia IPA - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Amnesia IPAAmnesia IPA

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Named for the beer that was shipped to Her Majesty’s Royal Army in India. This beer was brewed with large amounts of hops, which acted as a natural preservative in transit from the British Isles to India giving it the distinctive bitter taste. Modern Microbreweries now attempt to make IPAs as bitter as possible. Not us. We make the classic India Pale Ale, with an International bitterness rating of around 62. The taste is not overwhelmed with bitterness, but it allows you to enjoy the brilliant subtlety of the complex hops, aromas and flavors of four different hops used to finish our IPA. Oh yeah, we also hand-craft it at 7.2% alcohol by volume.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 08-07-2008)

2.93/5  rDev +15.8%

A: a dirty orange color, some amber hues, semi hazy, looks like no filtered beer, there is almoust no carb and no head at all, dissipates so fast

S: not smell at all, there is no hops aroma no floral, no citrusy, no piny, a little caramel, honey and nutty

T: so flat, a little hops, medium body, musty and dry finish

1.3/5  rDev -48.6%

I don't know why people buy this stuff but it always seems to be around. 12oz bottle, no freshness date, poured to a Stone IPA glass.

Beige tinted 2" head, that shows decent retention, and actually leaves a bit of honeycomb lacing on its way down and leaves rings throughout. Color is not great though. Medium brown and quite hazy and cloudy.

Smell, what smell? If you really get in there you can pull a hint of roast malt. Taste is awful. I prefer BMC. Slight burnt malt, yeasty, and caramel with a metallic finish, mmm. Slight bitterness and a watery thin mouthfeel.

God awful.

1.98/5  rDev -21.7%

A - Slightly hazed amber with an off-white head that leaves descent lacing.

S - Sugary toffee malt, some buttery diacetyl, leafy, butterscotch

T - Medicinal-like herbal hops, toffee underneath, some band-aid and buttery flavors mixing around. Some light unkown fruitiness. The rough medicinal-herb flavor grows stronger as it warms and gets pretty distracting.

M - Good carbonation, light to medium body.

Good looking and average mouthfeel but there's something not right about this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -19.8%

I just bought a six pack of this garbage from a liquor store down the street. While I love trying new beers I should have known better when I asked the owner of the store if it's any good and his reply was "I don't know, I don't drink.".

I am not even going to get into details, shit beer. My first few batches of homebrew blow doors over this crap.

1.93/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another great thanks to spycow for supplying us with this amazing brew.

A - A little bit brownish for an IPA, but looks fine. Brownish orange color with a hazy body and a pretty nice looking white head it. Moderate lace.

S - Smells obnoxiously sweet and candy like.

T - Not sure what this taste is excactly. Broccoli? Cauliflower? Odd herbal and garden tastes. Not good at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Maybe the taste is making my mind play tricks on me, but somehow it feels gross.

O - Yuck. Don't drink this. Freakin' horrible.

2.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Thanks to Chris (Spycow) for this gem. Served in a Glunz taster glass.

A - This beer actually looks pretty good. Generous white foam has surprisingly good retention and settles to some wisps, a thick collar, and splotchy lace. The body is a murky orange-brown color.

S - No idea on freshness, but this smells like sugar. Just sugar. Cloying and strange sweetness.

T - The taste is even worse, with strange herbs, watery cauliflower, and a hint of seltzer water. No obvious bitterness, and the finish is mercifully quick.

M - Medium bodied, medium-low carbonation, slimy. I suppose one positive is the well-hidden ABV.

D - Easily one of the worst IPAs I've ever had. Competitive with Keith's.

2.63/5  rDev +4%

A - Colored like dried tobacco, slightly hazy at first pour, but it mellows out and becomes clear.

S - Smells a bit like candy corn, a little sugary and buttery. There is a citric smell in there as well.

T - There is a hop presence, and it comes off kind of like lime. It is polluted, however, by diacetyl, and a weird butterieness that isn't very good.

M - Builds up a coating in your mouth. Not really a fan here.

O - Not a terrible brew, but not one worth going for either.

2.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I bought a couple of bottles of Amnesia IPA while traveling recently in Nevada. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright a copper color and is clear. Creamy white two-finger head caps the beer and leaves some dainty lace rings on the glass.

Smell is faint and fairly nondescript. A hint of citrus aroma perhaps.

Taste is a little fruity upfront, Pink grapefruit and sweet lemon, but then it gives way to a dry bitterness with a soapy flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp effervescent and clean.

Overall I think it is better than most of the reviews it is getting here. It's drinkable, but I probably wouldn't have it again.

1.8/5  rDev -28.9%

Wow, one of the worst beers I've ever had! Pours a dark copper, almost ruby. Clear, no head, retention or lacing. Smell is soapy and yeasty (I swear). Taste is way off. Slightly grassy, more soap, off taste, very slight hops. Mouthfeel was fine but that doesnt make up for much. Just not a great beer and my first drain pour I've had in forever.

2.9/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a tulip.

A - Reddish-gold, with 3-4 fingers of off-white head that's dropping, but leaving thin, intricate lacing. I wasn't expecting sediment, so when it showed up in the last ounce or so I accidentally let some in, and it's showing off a feathery plume in the center of the glass. Besides the unintentional yeast, this looks pretty damn good.

S - Smells reminiscent of a German [doppel]bock. Some nice, caramelly malts and something that smells like lager yeast, I think. There's something a little off that I can't place, but that might be paranoia. Not very interesting, but fine.

T - Kinda bland. There are some decent amber and caramel sweet malts, and it's rather smooth. Some yeast flavor, but not much. The slightest bit of hops in the aftertaste. I think dumping in some sediment helped this beer by giving me more to taste.

M - Thin to medium mouthfeel, with a touch of carbonation. Not bad.

Overall, meh. This isn't actively bad; it's merely passively bad. Just... meh. Considering how similar this experience was to the last killshot, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is Indian Wells -- perhaps Lobotomy Bock? What an appropriate name that would be.

Non-blind comments: Well, I got the brewery right, but... Amnesia IPA? Really?? There is no way in hell this is an IPA. As I'm finishing up the glass, I guess I can see some more hoppish qualities, but that's just because I'm looking for it. If I had been rating to style (not blind), I probably would have been harsher.

2.15/5  rDev -15%

Found on sale @7,99 so I thought I would give it a whirl. Poured from bottle into a goblet. color is an amber with small white head that left quickly with little lacing. Smelled of caramel malts with over ripe apricots. Mild hop aroma. Taste was much like the smell with mostly malt coming thru. Not to style and a total dissipointment. Beer was thin and watery and after a few minutes was flat. Overall it was not to style, more like a mild Scottish ale that would rate a C-, nothing like and IPA. I did't drainpour but didn't really enjoy.

1.75/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Pours a muddy amber with a foamy off white head and lots of sticky lacing. Odd looking to say the least.

S-Lots of caramel malt, little to no discernible hop presence.

T-Pretty bad really. Pungent with a very light malt presence; some tangy hops in the mid palate.

M-Thin, watery, blah.

D-Pretty much undrinkable.

HV

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

Served on tap in a pilsner glass at the Brewery. The beer had an amber color to it, with a decent thick, foamy head. Minimal hops aroma in comparison to most IPAs. The beer had a mild hop-forward flavor, and tasted almost in between the flavors of tradition west coast fresh-hop IPAs and east coast IPAs. The feel of it was unremarkable in mouth, with a flat, crisp edge to it. Aftertaste was also middle of the road when compared to most IPAs. The beer itself was easy to drink, and the flavor was enjoyable. One of the stronger productions from this brewery, but mediocre with what is available out there in the IPA genre.

1.2/5  rDev -52.6%

12oz bottle thanks to largadeer.

Pours medium amber with a small white head. Doesn't look terrible.

Floral hop aroma and...AH INDIAN WELLS!!! Some serious weird stuff going on. Some bad earthiness to it.

The flavor is really rancid. Sickening even. I can't even say why it is, but it's dirty tasting and vegetal.

The palate is thin and astringent. Just not good, and didn't sit well in my stomach.

One of the worst IPAs I've had. I hope I get amnesia and forget this experience.

2.73/5  rDev +7.9%

poured from a 12oz into an indian wells pint glass, has a white head, fingers worth which dissipates to an thin film atop the brew fairly quickly and leaves thick lacing on the sides. The body is the color of honey, a hazy golden amber which looks thick with unfiltered malt.

The smell doesn't really betray much of anything, it's faintly a floral hoppy scent with a small grainy maple syrup smell but it's barely there at all.

The flavor is pretty skewed toward the malt for an ipa. I get a small amount of bitter hops in the background which is the initial palatable flavor, this is followed by a honey maple syrup type malty flavor and thickness. The hops don't come back in the aftertaste at all which leads me to believe there were no late hop additions to the boil or any dry hop at all.

The mouthfeel is pretty solid, thick and creamy from the amount of malt in the brew, definitely a ton of crystal 60/90 in here to give it that. The feel is my favorite part about this brew to be honest, it's more of a higher abv pale ale in my mind, the hops are some much in the background that the category ipa does not come to mind with it.

2.13/5  rDev -15.8%

Floor display at the local whole foods had this on sale. 7.99 for any IPA is hard to find so in the cart it goes. I like the name and the bottle design is alright. Poured into a pint glass it is easily managed. Head falls to a thin, sustained head. Light copper body with tons of carbonation.

Hmmm. Smells kinda like a second run of a barleywine mash. A small beer of sorts. Mild apricot makes up the lame hop profile and the malt bill is equally as dull. Soggy wheat bread and sprite like carbonation make up the middle and the ending is watered with some lingering acidity.

Notes: Regardless of style classifications it just doesn't taste good and thats all that matters to me. It is far from an IPA of any nature and falls short no matter what its called. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance:
Hazy amber with a smallish off-white head that disappeared rather quickly. Lacing is ok, not spectacular, but not bad.
Aroma:
This is an IPA? Smells like a brown ale.
Taste:
Not bad for a brown, but certainly not an IPA. Caramel notes, Slightly bitter finish. No pine notes?
Thin, watery.
Drinkability:
It's drinkable, but did someone switch labels on me? Waitress, I believe I ordered an IPA...;)

This is my first review, so take it for what it's worth. However, I was expecting a bit more from this beer. I was expecting an American IPA but it's more a strong brown or a subdued pale ale.

2.9/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours an ugly dark amber (almost brown) color with a descent head. Smell is not very appealing either. Not getting a very strong citrus, hop, or piney smell. A little bit of a sweet and sour scent. The taste is initially some maltiness, followed by very slight hoppiness. This is very watered down for an IPA. The mouthfeel is the only thing about this beer that is pretty normal. The drinkability is descent. With so many amazing IPAs made here in California, it's hard to believe they continue to brew this one.

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear amber/golden color... not much head, kinda fizzy and white but quick to recede.

Almost smells more like a pilsner than an IPA. The hops are there, but it could use more balance to it. Smells thin.

It tastes a lot like it smells... slightly hoppy with no real balance... very thin on the mouth.

I picked up a 6er of this stuff at the local grocer... not too impressed at all. Oh well, can't win every time.

2.3/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a medium to dark copper with just a thin head.

T - I had not read any reviews on this beer before trying it and had hoped that I'd stumbled across a really good new brew, BUT this was really underwhelming. It just has a really odd taste that is hard to pin down. There is some bitterness there but not really a good bitterness there is a really odd aftertaste that lingers. I imagine this is what flat Dawn dish washing liquid tastes like.

M - Too distracted by the taste to even notice.

D - I'm glad that I just bought this as a single and not a six pack. One was enough.

3.13/5  rDev +23.7%

A: Thin layer of head which dropped relatively quickly, medium copper to light amber in color, active carbonation in the beer - 2.75, S: Solid dosing of pale malts and biscuity aromas on the nose, gentle smells of floral and citrusy hops, though it's a fine line Amnesia seems to gravitate towards an English rather than an American IPA given the malt presence - 3.00, T: Though there are recognizable characteristics of an IPA, the flavors are quite subtle, noticeable caramel malts and with a slight toastiness, small hop bite, some grapefruit rind on the tongue - 3.00, M: Medium bodied and a little prickly - 3.50, D: All in all a drinkable beer, just a touch tame for an American IPA but a really good Pale Ale, in my opinion Amnesia would benefit from a balance that favors the hops rather than the malts a little more - 3.50

2.63/5  rDev +4%

One of the first new things I tried over the weekend, I have to admit I had never even heard of this one before when I saw it sitting there. I figured it could not hurt so I went in and tried it. Decent pour, nothing mind blowing, but decent for the style. Medium amber in color with a soft white head of foam that capped the top of the glass rather nicely. Faded out fairly quickly though and left behind a nearly bare top with minimal lacing and some carbonation coming up from the surface. Aroma is very light, nearly non existent at times but what you can find is a light citric hoppiness, caramel and bready malts, well balanced, but again just very light and this carries over in the flavor profile as well. Very light, nearly watered down flavor with a very over carbonated body leads to some very lack luster impressions. Soft hops are quickly shunned by a grainy malt bill that all but over rides their presence. Thin feel is way over carbonated and this too leads to it coming across as if it was far lighter then it should have been. It was clean and quite drinkable it was just the lack of depth in the flavor that would keep me from coming back to it again.

Overall I will have to pass on this one, just too bland for me.

Amnesia IPA from Indian Wells Brewing Company