Spicy Pumpkin Ale - Indian Wells Brewing Company

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: nickd717 on 09-22-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a thin head on a clear dark straw body.
The aroma is cinnamon candy and pumpkin.
The taste is watery pumpkin and a touch of cinnamon and clove.
The texture is thin and fizzy.
It's not offensive, but doesn't taste like much either.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

Served from bottle into a pint glass.
Almost no head at all if any it dissipated very quickly.
Smell of something similar to spice, perfume and malt.
On the palate, mouthfeel was of earth, grass and piquant, not true spiciness.
A very hard to drink beer since is watery, unbalance, off-flavors. The "spicy" smell makes it difficult to endulge.

Not what I was expecting from this Pumpkin beer, maybe I should stay away from the term Spicy.

2.18/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle pour at Field Of Drafts held at The Hanger in Lancaster, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy bone head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, perfume, and fake spice and fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with fake spice and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with some very artificial aromas and flavors that make it hard to drink.

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.25/5  rDev +19%

3.73/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a clear bright orange with a two-finger off white head of craggy bubbles. Rings of small tiny bubbled lacing.

S - Strong aroma of cinnamon, apple pie (?), nutmeg, baked pumpkin seeds, and wet cardboard. Strange, but weirdly good.

T - Big apple cider taste matched by candy sugared, extremely yeasty backbone; actually yeasty is a complete understatement; it almost tastes like your drinking beer straight out of a pie crust. I don't know why there is so much cinnamon apple here? There's actually more cinnamon/apple pie flavor than there is pumpkin. Some nutmeg and vanilla as well. A vegetal, wet cardboard/squashed pumpkin taste lurks in the finish. Everything described here shouldn't possibly work, but somehow it does and the taste is oddly appealing.

M - Suitably full bodied, and chewy. Prickly carbonation. Fits the flavor profile very well. Slick and slightly buttery.

O - This is one of the strangest beers I have had or reviewed. I KNOW it's flawed, but yet I liked it just the same. I know other reviewers hated it, maybe I'm just a sucker for apple pie crust. Hell, I'll probably buy it again. I cant say I'd recommend it thought because it's such an odd duck that I think each person would have to judge for themselves; but I bet this is kind of a "love it or hate it" beer.

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Out of pity for a non beer advocate who brought these to the Nevada/SDSU tailgate, I went ahead and took him up on his offering. Beer advocacy isn't always about trying to turn people on to great beers, sometimes its biting the bullet and bringing out the proverbial olive branch and meeting them halfway and trying their stuff that you might not enjoy as much as possible.

Poured a mild brown, thin head, usual stuff going on. Aroma was nuanced enough to not be overwhelming of spices or clove, like some big pumpkin beers shoot for. This was enjoyable, pumpkin, subtle cinnamon, and not much else.

Taste, a mild current of pumpkin and cinnamon, average carbonation, not a lot of malt or hop presence. It was good because they let the pumpkin lead the way, without any other competition or trying to complex it up. Same with the mouthfeel. Just standard, not showy or bad. Decent. Truly, about the only Indian Wells beer I can say I would have again.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

2.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Picked up at Fresh and Easy, $3.99 for the six pack.

Clear amber colored beer with a small off-white colored head.

Smells sweetish with a fair amount of caramel and allspice. Trying as hard as I can, that is about all that is in there. There is a little toasted wheat scent and slight butter scent, but I doubt most can pick up on those.

Starts out sweet with a strong scorched sugar and caramel taste, something like pumpkin pie that got baked a little to hot. Strong artificial vanilla taste! Little bit of allspice but the artificial vanilla taste easily runs it over like a tank crushing a Geo Metro. Needless to say this is a vanilla flavored beer. No pumpkin detected.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall damn, they really need to cool it with the artificial vanilla and add some cinnamon sticks and allspice berries to the recipe.

3.48/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look – nice solid amber color, with about half a finger’s worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell – the obvious smell is pumpkin, ironically though, I don’t pull out much of a spiciness to it. It almost smells like a pumpkin aroma mixed with a cider.

Taste – hard to tell if it’s an artificial pumpkin flavor or a real flavor. But the spices are more noticeable in the taste. In fact, they’re a bit more prominent, which makes sense with the label.

Mouthfeel – pretty well balanced, but leans more on the watery side.

Overall – not a bad brew at all, but it’s having a hard time pulling me in and grabbing my interest. It does taste good though.

4.13/5  rDev +51.3%

Well had I read all the other reviews first, I probably would have never tried this beer. However, a friend of mine who knew I was a beer lover brought me this bottle and I tried it. TRUE: it should not be called "Spicy" it's not spicy at all. The Sam Adams Double pumpkin I had was spicy with no pumpkin, this was the opposite. It was a smooth drinkable beer upon first sip and the finish was pumpkin pie. YES pumpkin pie. It was sweet, so for hop-heads probably you wouldn't like it. I had one and I could have had another, probably because of the season, but I was brought only one and that's all I drank:)

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone tulip...

A - Pours a clear burnt orange color with almost no head, even when poured agressively. Spotty off white whead.

S - Smells sweet, almost like bubblegum strangely enough. Juicy Fruit bubblegum. Hmmm...?

T/M - I can see where the spices are supposed to come thru, but they just don't. And it still posesses a wierd bubblegum flavor. Lite on the pallete

O - This beer was nothing like I've expected. The flavors were way too off for me to want another. Definately not a drain pour, but not a recomended pumpkin brew.

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

Ugh. When I first heard about pumpkin ales, this is what I expected. It took me quite a while to try one because it didn't sound like it could be good. I am so happy I got DFH Punkin Ale to start with so I know that it is a style with potential to be awesome. Had this been my first I would not have had another.

This was down right gross. It tasted like I was drinking a bad pumpkin pie. Sickeningly sweet. I couldn't finish it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »