1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whiskey Barrel Amber - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Whiskey Barrel AmberWhiskey Barrel Amber

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: trappistlover on 07-04-2011)
3.29/5  rDev +15.8%

3.64/5  rDev +28.2%

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

4.2/5  rDev +47.9%

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

Easily one of the worst beers I've had. The only good point is that it had high alcohol. That being said, I'd have preferred a Steel Reserve.

1.75/5  rDev -38.4%

Thx for tips. Decided not to purchase. Wary when label identified barrels as Evan Williams

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

2.6/5  rDev -8.5%

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

So it looks like all is going well on the pour. Amber-red with a nice beige head. But the aroma suggests, well, not much. Really can't ID anything but some faint alcohol. Taste improves with some woody notes, maybe fig, but really caramel... As in candy, not malt. Finishes with some alcohol which I suppose is supposed to invoke the whiskey, but I'm not getting that.

Now, if I'm making the Mammoth or back-road Bakersfield run, I'd still pop in here for a growler. Likely a different tap offering though. This one was a little sweet for me.

Poured bottle into snifter

A: pours amber brown, medium light tan head

S: smells light sweet and dried fruity, kind of like raisin

T: taste very messed up, confusing nasty beer. Worst beer I have had in the last few years. Whoever rated this beer above a 20, is out of their mind. Taste like this, "you are pan handling outside a 7-11 for an hour or 2 and you finally mustered up enough cash for a camo...."

M: not worth my words

Overall: they seal the bottle with wax, it's a great beer to play a joke with someone acting like it is a good brew. But it is horrible, that's the joke. Anyways, later

1.81/5  rDev -36.3%

A - At first looks okay. Nice brown color.

S - Sweet smell, which is surprising for a bear of such high ABV.

T - Okay, but not pleasant after the first sip. Strange mix of ultra bitter and sweetness. A confusing taste.

M - The worst. After a few sips, quickly loses any enjoyability.

O - Would not recommend.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

4.16/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got this as a birthday present and actually excited to review it! Bottle states it as a lager but on here it's an ale...not sure what to review it as. Cellar temp in to snifter.

A: Doesn't count but the bottle label & wax job are awesome. Also a nice story on the label. Beautiful copper red with a one finger eggshell head that sticks around for a bit. Looks much thinner than 12% as stated on the bottle but this is an attractive beer.

S: Malt, caramel, dark fruit, big alcohol, a whiff of brown sugar and oak from the bourbon? Biggest nose on a "lager" I've encountered. This can't be 100% barrel aged, but I guess it doesn't claim to be. Get past the alcohol and it's a good smelling beer.

T: Alright there's no way this is 12%. But this isn't bad beer! Starts sweet and fruity on the front of the tongue and turns in to a swirl of caramel, malt, and a bit of vanilla and brown sugar. Slightly bitter but still wet finish. Would be good over vanilla ice cream.

M: Thin with a light carbonation. No stickiness and not overly drying.

O: Better than I expected from the reviews here. Don't agree with the 12% claim, seems more like half that, but this should at least be 80+. If I had to compare it to another brew it reminds me of Firestone's DBA.

1.63/5  rDev -42.6%

My buddies and I drove up to Mammoth for Memorial Day, and we stopped by Indian Wells without douching out/reading ratings to just pick up some random beers on the way.

I would categorize the Whiskey Barrel Amber as a legitimately evil liquid. It wasn't bad as much as offensive.

A: Thin, amber, nothing bad, nothing great. Surprisingly flat, but it was barrel aged.

S: WHOA! This is when we knew something was wrong. Play Doh, weird, melted candy (kind of like a raspberry/wheat) whiff. Smells medicinal. No trace of whiskey or a barrel presence.

T: I truly am not trying to be rude, but this was a holy shit moment... Holy shit, this tastes artificial and I get no sense of what this base beer was... all raspberry, wheat, and again, no sense of any whiskey or barrel hitting this. Confusing. Moments of intense wheat and raspberry. I will say, for a 12.5% beer, that was hidden alarmingly well... but then again, you don't taste the codeine in cough syrup.

M: If I plugged my nose, I would've been fooled into thinking I was drinking a pretty thin, low carbonated barleywine. The problem was, my nose wasn't plugged and I tasted this... Let's call the mouthfeel average.

O: Most of their beer was pretty offensively bad or bland. This tasted eerily similar to their Lobotomy Bock, which is not barrel aged and is not an Ale.

Truly, one of the worst beers I've ever been around. Gross. Evil. Four different people couldn't take more than two/three sips.

Very useful at putting out the campfire.

2.5/5  rDev -12%