Mojave Red - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Mojave RedMojave Red

poor

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: PorterPounder on 08-24-2003

A smooth red lager without the bite. We use four types of specialty-malted barley and two types of hops, Hallertau and Cascade, which are added at the exact point in the brewing cycle to create the ideal quality blend of aroma and taste. We use our own proprietary strain of lager yeast, and all of our beers are brewed with our own on-site natural artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Mojave Red is lagered for several weeks, then finished to our exacting standards.

1.66/5  rDev -41.3%

Presentation: Single from Trader Joes. 12 ounce bottle with a single label that has a coiled snake on a black background with the words ‘Mojave Red’ above. No strength or freshness date noted.

Appearance: Deepish red-brown body with a decent enough looking cream colored head that rapidly formed. Lots of carbonation.

Nose: “Oh fuck” was my initial impression as soon as I popped the cap on this and got whiff of its odor. SWEET lager with the merest hint of that “chemically” smell that you get from Keg Lagers made in England. Simply Disgusting. What did my nose do to deserve this punishment?

Taste: Sickly sweet, cloying, unbalanced and undrinkable. Funky chemical tastes and little natural feel. Tastes like Draino with added malt extract. Better than two fingers down the throat for inducing vomiting.

Mouthfeel: Coats the tongue and teeth with a crystallized sugar feel.

Drinkability: I ditched ¾’s of the bottle. Is 3 ounce really enough to Review this beer I hear you say? Erm, for me, YES!!! It’s almost too much in fact.

Overall: I have already wasted enough words on this Review, but this is truly awful. Is it me or does this beer suck more than a Dyson??

**NB** I just checked out the website, quote “Mojave Red is FLASH PASTURIZED* to guarantee a fresh tasting brew every time” WTF?? Is this the Micro Brewers answer to Bud? And I note that they also “brew” an Irish Green Ale for St. Patrick’s Day. Oh Dear!!! As Lt. Columbo once said, “I think that closes the case nicely”. *They can’t even spell Pasteurize properly on their website, geez; guess the schools are poorly attended in Inyokern. Nuff said!!!

1.8/5  rDev -36.4%

Did not think much of this beer.Not sure if it was a bad bottle or just a bad beer, but here goes. Deep red color, medium head. Roasted malts, kind of spicy, no hoppyness, flavor a little weak. A watered down red ale. Finish is neutral. Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

2.02/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Didn't finish it.

A: Nice colour but pretty dull otherwise, nothing going on here head-wise.

S: Quite appealing with caramel and grains.

T: Downhill. When I first sipped this I started a bit and had to reach for the bottle to check the label. Yep, it's red, and it's a lager... so why does it taste like I threw up in my mouth 20 minutes ago? Overcooked brussels sprouts are the aftertaste.

M: Honestly, I was so off-put by the flavour that I barely noticed. Medium-bodied is about all I can say for it.

Overall, I wouldn't drink this again, and I won't be seeking out other Indian Wells efforts.

2.09/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance: The pour is clear amber to red with a long-lasting off-white head.

Smell: There are hops and malts in the aroma, along with something metallic and uninviting.

Taste: The flavor profile is surprisingly hoppy, but it doesn't change the fact that cloying malts and metal taste like crap.

Mouthfeel: This is light to medium-bodied with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Well I'm ready to pour the rest out. No wonder they were blowing this out at Whole Foods.

2.09/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark amber with a nice white head, good retention.

S: Sweet caramel, but rather light in the nose.

T: Has some sweet caramel malt, with a lot of metal/penny to it and a noticable sour twang. Not good tasting, but not appalling.

M: Good carbonation, nice body, twangy and off feeling in the aftertaste.

D: Not a well made beer. A definite pass on this effort for me.

2.12/5  rDev -25.1%

Tried this a couple times each straight from the bottle. Dark copper color with a bit of a dusty fruit smell with just the slightest hint of some hop on the back. Having driven by Indian Wells I was pretty excited to try some of their beers but this along with the Gold disappointed. The Red Amber color wanted to strive for a nice full body beer but this one fell short and was quite watery and thin. Out in the desert guess it good to have something cold to drink but I would pass on this one if given another option.

2.13/5  rDev -24.7%

Picked up a sixer at trader joe's since I'm always hunting for a brew I haven't sampled this caught my eye. I'm on beer #4 of the sixpack and I think I have a good idea of whats going on with this Amber Lager.

Every brew poured a gracious tan head. Copper / reddish hue.

This is where the brew starts to fade to mediocrity. I pick up some caramel, and an odd hop presence that is slightly sour, metallic rounds it out. I'm not sure how this is going to mold together and work.

alot of "tin" that actually rattles the attention of the fillings in a couple moulers. Caramel is overshadowed and the hop presence struggles to come through if at all. Finishes extremely dry. So dry that it leaves a powdery coating on the palate.

I haven't had much success with random finds at trader joe's. I'm starting to wonder who the bigshot is that samples the brew before they sign them up for distribution. At any event this beer is not reccomended with a bullet.

2.18/5  rDev -23%

Consumed June 13th, 2010. Bottle obtained directly from brewery on May 30th, 2010. Consumed in "special" Samuel Adams glass.

Beer pours a clear coppery caramel color. Adequate carbonation but inadequate head; a splotchy film that doesn't completely cover the surface and a tiny little ring of none-too-clingy foam around the edges.

Aroma is sweet caramel malts and minerals. Uh-oh.

Flavor is off in what I am coming to suspect is the Indian Wells "house style"; mineral water overwhelms the caramel malt flavor. I didn't pick up any hop flavor other than a barely noticeable bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and a tiny bit dry.

I finished about half the bottle and then shared the rest with the drain.

2.19/5  rDev -22.6%

There are only two, maybe three, breweries for the eastern side of the Sierra Mountains and Indian Wells Brewing Company is one of them. Indian Wells produces nine beers and six sodas, all produced with pure artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Their flagship beer is Mojave Red and claims to be “The High Desert’s Favorite Microbrewed Beer.” Brewed to have a 5.5% alcohol by volume, Mojave Red uses four types of malted barley along with Hallertau and Cascade hops.

When poured heavily into a pint glass this beer looks as expected with a dark copper color and red highlights. The beer is clean and crisp looking with no haze. The carbonation produced tiny bubbles that from a off-white head that is thin and fades fairly quickly. When placing this beer to the nose, thoughts of carnivals and candy come to mind. This beer has heavy smells of carmel with a backdrop of red fruits and apples, but it basically smells sweet, like candy.

Tasting this beer leaves me a little disappointed considering this is supposed to be a ‘Favorite Microbrewed Beer.’ The taste-buds are overwhelmed with the sugary/carmel taste that was also in the smell. There is a slight bready taste and it drinks quite smoothly, but it also tasted slightly watered down with a low bitterness level from the hops. In my honest opinion, this beer tastes like an amateur homebrew; not bad, but not impressive for a professional brewery.

This beer makes me feel a little sorry for the Eastern Sierra craft beer drinkers. It’s hard for me to imagine this being ‘The High Desert’s Favorite’ beer, I visualize one lonely beer drinker in the middle of the desert craving anything to drink. Mojave Red is that one lonely persons favorite beer, it might be yours too if you were dieing of thrust.

My Beer Rating: 2.3

2.22/5  rDev -21.6%

Aroma: Fairly sweet malt. Just the barest hint of floral hops.

Appearance:Orange/bronze, very clear, tight yellowish/tan head that has NO staying power.

Taste: Not nearly as malty and sweet as it smells. Has a weird soapy taste. Some bittering hops in the background and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation level. Appropriate body for style. Not syrupy.

Drinkability: It's okay. Nothing great. I'm getting a weird aftertaste. Not a beer I would recommend, but I wouldn't steer people away from it either. I'll never buy another sixer tho.

2.25/5  rDev -20.5%

The color of the beer fits its moniker, it is in fact red, dark red and brown. Flimsy head, not much in terms of head, no lace, retention. Aroma, ugh, smells like someone found some discarded used oil somewhere in the mojave desert and used it as an aroma adjunct. But that's not all that is there in the aroma, there is a discernable red malt and caramel component, so its not a total loss.

Really bitter taste for not having a perceptible hop presence. Tastes like some bad homebrew recipes from brewers who like to cheap out or do hodgepodge type of batches. Has that weird dark fruit raisin/prune kind of bitterness maybe, maybe thats what it is I'm tasting I don't like, brings out the alcohol and flavors of a challenging quad, without the belgian yeast.

Not recommended. If you want to make a red ale without hops, fine, make it smooth. But why make a red ale that is nasty bitter without hops? It just doesn't taste good.

2.37/5  rDev -16.3%

Just your typical red lager that really isn't red at all. No head beyond the fizzy foam produced upon opening, and really doesn't smell like anything.

Taste is watery with a VERY light hop profile on top of water, but it did go decently with the pizza and complemented the spicyness of the pepperoni.

Hrmmm... No sir, i didn't like it.

2.41/5  rDev -14.8%

This is probably my least favourite Indian Wells beer, a dud version of a style that I often find to be disappointing unless done really well.

Red copper, it has a huge tan head steadily shirnking to thin ring.

Aroma is dusty old pine bark and sap, hints of citrus and barley (a bit like Napa Smith Amber Ale - which I use as a benchmark for the unpleasant version of this type of character - but better mostly because it is not as intense.

Taste is candied bitter orange peel, juicy spice, light toasted grain, all thin and a bit watery.

2.52/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

02/26/05- Purchased from Trader Joe's in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates. Poured into a random glass mug.

Appearance- Amber-red pour with a quick dissolving head and no lacing.

Smell- I guess a mix of metal, hops and malt? Smells metallic....a bit scary.

Taste- Tastes like a sweetend red ale with added lead and extra hops. Very odd and weird taste. Fairly intense hops. Kinda burned my tongue.

Mouthfeel- My mouth is still dry after drinking this stuff. Average carbonation.

Drinkability- No thanks is all I have to say.

2.54/5  rDev -10.2%

Beer was served on tap in a pilsner glass from the Brewery. The beer has a good red coloring to it with a light head. The smell was typical of most reds, with a light, malty tone to it. It smelled similar to most reds. The initial taste of the beer is good, but unfortunately the flavor is off your tongue before you swallow it. The beer is light and crisp, and easy on the finish. Almost a hint of apples in the aftertaste. It would be an easy beer to sit back and drink for a day, but I can honestly think of better ways to spend your time.

2.6/5  rDev -8.1%