Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Mojave Red - Indian Wells Brewing Company

Mojave RedMojave Red

Indian Wells Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: PorterPounder on 08-24-2003

A smooth red lager without the bite. We use four types of specialty-malted barley and two types of hops, Hallertau and Cascade, which are added at the exact point in the brewing cycle to create the ideal quality blend of aroma and taste. We use our own proprietary strain of lager yeast, and all of our beers are brewed with our own on-site natural artesian spring water from the historic Indian Wells Spring. Mojave Red is lagered for several weeks, then finished to our exacting standards.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Dark ruby red with a very satisfying head. Nose is malt, malt, malt, and a touch of sour fruit. Taste is functional, but unimaginative, conststing primarily of caramel, with a dash of hops, and an unfortunate bit of cloying metallicism (Band name!). Mouthfeel is predictably rich, but sticky and unispiring. Drinkability is fair. Probably won't pick it up again, but wouldn't make it a point not to, either.

2.09/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: The pour is clear amber to red with a long-lasting off-white head.

Smell: There are hops and malts in the aroma, along with something metallic and uninviting.

Taste: The flavor profile is surprisingly hoppy, but it doesn't change the fact that cloying malts and metal taste like crap.

Mouthfeel: This is light to medium-bodied with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

Drinkability: Well I'm ready to pour the rest out. No wonder they were blowing this out at Whole Foods.

3.16/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a clear amber with a full tan head that lasts a long time.
Aroma of bread and biscuits...very soft on the nose.
Tingly sharp on the tongue, however.
Very dry flavors and mouthfeel. Amber malts are very subdued.
Interesting lager to say the least. Flavors are really reminiscent of a swartzbeir.

2.22/5  rDev -19.9%

Aroma: Fairly sweet malt. Just the barest hint of floral hops.

Appearance:Orange/bronze, very clear, tight yellowish/tan head that has NO staying power.

Taste: Not nearly as malty and sweet as it smells. Has a weird soapy taste. Some bittering hops in the background and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation level. Appropriate body for style. Not syrupy.

Drinkability: It's okay. Nothing great. I'm getting a weird aftertaste. Not a beer I would recommend, but I wouldn't steer people away from it either. I'll never buy another sixer tho.

2.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Picked up a sixer at trader joe's since I'm always hunting for a brew I haven't sampled this caught my eye. I'm on beer #4 of the sixpack and I think I have a good idea of whats going on with this Amber Lager.

Every brew poured a gracious tan head. Copper / reddish hue.

This is where the brew starts to fade to mediocrity. I pick up some caramel, and an odd hop presence that is slightly sour, metallic rounds it out. I'm not sure how this is going to mold together and work.

alot of "tin" that actually rattles the attention of the fillings in a couple moulers. Caramel is overshadowed and the hop presence struggles to come through if at all. Finishes extremely dry. So dry that it leaves a powdery coating on the palate.

I haven't had much success with random finds at trader joe's. I'm starting to wonder who the bigshot is that samples the brew before they sign them up for distribution. At any event this beer is not reccomended with a bullet.

2.53/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

02/26/05- Purchased from Trader Joe's in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates. Poured into a random glass mug.

Appearance- Amber-red pour with a quick dissolving head and no lacing.

Smell- I guess a mix of metal, hops and malt? Smells metallic....a bit scary.

Taste- Tastes like a sweetend red ale with added lead and extra hops. Very odd and weird taste. Fairly intense hops. Kinda burned my tongue.

Mouthfeel- My mouth is still dry after drinking this stuff. Average carbonation.

Drinkability- No thanks is all I have to say.

2.37/5  rDev -14.4%

Just your typical red lager that really isn't red at all. No head beyond the fizzy foam produced upon opening, and really doesn't smell like anything.

Taste is watery with a VERY light hop profile on top of water, but it did go decently with the pizza and complemented the spicyness of the pepperoni.

Hrmmm... No sir, i didn't like it.

I'm really up in the air about this brew.
A: red/bronze, clear, firm yellowish/tan head that was a little disturbing, hmm nice looking or weird?
S: good malty profile, somewhat sweet with some spicy hop content
T: malty and definitely sweet not offensive, a taste I have to call "butterscotch" lingers, is that diacetyl?, again, interesting or weird?
M: full, substantial, nice carbonation level
D: possibly a little sweet here, any beer competing with SABL has to do better, but I would not avoid this beer however

1.66/5  rDev -40.1%

Presentation: Single from Trader Joes. 12 ounce bottle with a single label that has a coiled snake on a black background with the words ‘Mojave Red’ above. No strength or freshness date noted.

Appearance: Deepish red-brown body with a decent enough looking cream colored head that rapidly formed. Lots of carbonation.

Nose: “Oh fuck” was my initial impression as soon as I popped the cap on this and got whiff of its odor. SWEET lager with the merest hint of that “chemically” smell that you get from Keg Lagers made in England. Simply Disgusting. What did my nose do to deserve this punishment?

Taste: Sickly sweet, cloying, unbalanced and undrinkable. Funky chemical tastes and little natural feel. Tastes like Draino with added malt extract. Better than two fingers down the throat for inducing vomiting.

Mouthfeel: Coats the tongue and teeth with a crystallized sugar feel.

Drinkability: I ditched ¾’s of the bottle. Is 3 ounce really enough to Review this beer I hear you say? Erm, for me, YES!!! It’s almost too much in fact.

Overall: I have already wasted enough words on this Review, but this is truly awful. Is it me or does this beer suck more than a Dyson??

**NB** I just checked out the website, quote “Mojave Red is FLASH PASTURIZED* to guarantee a fresh tasting brew every time” WTF?? Is this the Micro Brewers answer to Bud? And I note that they also “brew” an Irish Green Ale for St. Patrick’s Day. Oh Dear!!! As Lt. Columbo once said, “I think that closes the case nicely”. *They can’t even spell Pasteurize properly on their website, geez; guess the schools are poorly attended in Inyokern. Nuff said!!!

3.82/5  rDev +37.9%

If this beer is taken for what it is, it's not bad. This lager poured a nice red amber, head shrunk down to nothing and lacing was not even there. Still the color alone bumps up the appearance a bit. Sweet malty, bready aroma. Ultra smooth, malty refreshing taste profile. A tad on the sweet side, and that is to be expected of a beer from this style. Very drinkable and nice when in a lager mood. Good for a hot day or with lunch. A decent micro lager.

3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a clear red brew.

Smell is malty and a bit fruity; it is a bit bready too.

Taste is good! It is malty sweet in taste. There is a plumy fruit taste here too. Hops are in there if you hold it on your tongue and let the bitterness build up.

Mouthful is good.

An easy drinking brew. Not terribly complex but a solid ale I would buy again.

3.23/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a dark, red amber, with a fluffy, cloudlike, thick (1 finger) head. The aroma is neither unpleasant or strong, its just sorta there. The primary smells seem to be nutty or maybe yeasty. Tastes fairly good, a bit bready or yeasty, a little sweet, and rather mild. Feels fairly smooth and the carbonation and maybe some of the sweetness tingle the tongue a bit. A decent beer, but not something I'd really look for again.

3.63/5  rDev +31%

Third times a charm for Indian Wells Brewery's mixed 6-pack I got from a buddy of mine. Presented in a 12oz brown bottle, this beer poured a nice clear dark amber color topped by a creamy off-white head that slowly faded down to a thin skim. Little crbonation observed.
Smell was of crisp ripe fruit, similar to a ripe Fuji apple, and hints of caramel and grain.
Taste is all sweetness, slight apple cider flavor with a touch of caramel and plums or prunes. Virtually no hops flavor detected.
Feel was medium bodied, slightly dry.
Overall, the best of the three Indian Wells beers I sampled. I tried this beer about five years ago and I remember liking it then. I still like it now and it would make a decent session beer. I'm just not ready for the nearly two hour drive to get it.

1.8/5  rDev -35%

Did not think much of this beer.Not sure if it was a bad bottle or just a bad beer, but here goes. Deep red color, medium head. Roasted malts, kind of spicy, no hoppyness, flavor a little weak. A watered down red ale. Finish is neutral. Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last