Geary's Winter Ale - D.L. Geary Brewing Company

D.L. Geary Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

English Bitter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnnyP on 11-09-2003

Geary’s new Winter Ale is a well balanced and more aggressive bitter, both in alcohol and hop character, without being overpowering. It is dark gold and coppery in color with moderate carbonation. Malt flavors are toasty and fruity, resulting in a tasty blend with firm body balanced by English hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 119
2.24/5  rDev -35.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

My bottle had a very different label than the photo shown here, though it was named the same. Blue label with the name "Geary's" in big, red, bold letters at a 45° angle across the front.

Pours a nice dark brown, almost black hue with a solid head. Sadly, this was all I liked with this beer. It was overly sweet, with strong vanilla flavors that did not seem natural. The vanilla overpowered both the nose and mouth and was hard to move beyond. There were some chocolate malts mixed in there somewhere as well.

I am not against a vanilla-flavored winter ale; though it's not my favorite style in general, I have had some I quite enjoy. This beer, however, was so strong in the vanilla, that it tasted like the brewer dumped a ton of imitation vanilla extract into each bottle. And for the first time ever, I could not even finish the beer in my glass.

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

2.43/5  rDev -29.6%

Beer has a decent appearance. Smells malty to me, little hop scent. The taste is where it all went wrong. The beer starts off slightly sweet, but finishes watery. mouthfeel is also thin and watery. Overall I was very disappointed with this brew. It's lacking in hoppiness and is watery tasting. It's not a "bad" beer, just dissapointing for an IPA. I would not buy it again.

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

Bottle courtesy of Northyorksammy: Poured a light orangey color ale with a medium foamy head with limited retention. Aroma of sweet malt and light hops is mostly boring. Taste is a mix between some sweet malt and light English hops. Body is a bout average with some average carbonation. I was quite surprise that this is being classified as an IPA and could not have guess by drinking this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -28.1%

This beer pours a nice dark golden yellow with a tall medium bodied off-white / tan head that laces the glass some. It smells of nice tasted malts, some hoppy bitterness, and some spices. The taste is pretty good with a nice toasted malty backbone underneath some wintry spices - some nutmeg and some citrisy flavors are layered over the malt and a citrisy hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is OK. It has a smooth but dull feel that could use a little more carbonation and maybe a crisper feel. The drinkability is pretty good but it was not what I would want in an English IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

04/23/14 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Not sure what's up here. Normally I favor 'winter' brews but this has me wondering. There's a dryness in the aftertaste that I'm attributing to an over spicyness. Just as too much cinnamon doesn't taste good without the right amount of sugar, so too, the spices here are unbridled. All that malt & spice w/no sugar creates a bitter aftertaste that's off putting.

2.51/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Crystal clear golden hue with a one finger light tan head that slowly settles to a thin cap, leaving behind a thin and short wall of lacing. After each sip some spotty lacing is left behind.

The aroma is very thin, leaving hints of apple aromas, which I assume is some sort of hop aroma.

The flavor is pretty bland as well, giving only a glimpse of the malts and a tiny bit of some bittering hops. Light bodied with decent carbonation. The finish is mostly the bittering hops.

I guess the best way to describe this one is acerbic. It's overly harsh in its bitterness considering there is no flavor to back it up. Not recommended.

2.73/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle into a dimpled pint glass at Green Elephant, a terrific restaurant in Portland, Maine.

Appearance: Pours a clear brown-ruby with a very thin head that is gone right away. Carbonation seems heavy.

Aroma: Smells of malt, grass and earth, with a slight medicinal note also noticeable, somewhat like military-grade cough syrup.

Taste: That medicinal taste is noticeable up front. It's bitter all right, but not in a super appealing way. Almost has a paint-like flavor to it. Some maltiness and hops are present, but they're outweighed by rather unpleasant flavors.

Mouthfeel: It's also thinner than I'd prefer. Not much body.

Overall: I like a fair amount of Geary's product, but this isn't one of them. if I want a Geary's beer in the winter, I'll reach for their porter.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

I am utterly unimpressed. To start with, Only SN really pulls off an IPA as their winter seasonal. I don't need a winter warmer, but there is nothing wintery or seasonal about this brew. Be that as it may..it is still an unimpressive English IPA.

Pours a hazed gold with little head. Smells lemony, buttery. Reminds me of my blue moon with a lemon days (they were short lived) Tastes hoppier than it smells, but not until the end, and there is a lasting bitterness. I guess I would call the mouthfeel soapy. It feels slick and bubbly. I'm not really enjoying this.

If I drank this out of a bottle in the heat of summer and it were called a summer ale I wouldn't complain, but thats not the case, and I'm complaining

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a light orange, darker amber color, with a half finger head. No retention, and no lacing.

Aroma is lightly malty, with a slight diacetyl note. No real hops to speak of, and not a very interesting nose.

Flavor is slightly malty up front, with a bitter finish that doesn't particularly taste of hops. Not a whole lot of flavor, and what is there isn't all that great. Mouthfeel is smooth, but a bit thin. Drinkability is decent.

Lackluster beer from a brewery that is definitely hit or miss. This one is a definite miss. Not very good at all. Even though I know this bottle to be quite fresh, this just tastes stale and slightly oxidized. Every bottle in the six pack tastes this way, and a friend of mine with a seperate six pack from a different case confirms the flavor. I'm sorry that I bought a whole six pack of this one. Not interesting at all, and not recommended. It may be relatively cheap, but it isn't worth it.

2.91/5  rDev -15.7%

I bought this in a mixed six-pack at Charles St. Liquors in Boston. So far, only the Hampshire Special was any good. This is another lame beer like their Pale Ale.
Dull gold color and a weak white head. No aroma worth noting. Taste is fuller and hoppier than the pale but still pretty tame for an IPA. Probably comes up to just below my idea of a pale ale. I know the category is English IPA but it just doesn't do much for me.

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Poured with an average-sized, white head that quickly dissipated to a thin film. Body is a dark yellow color, and completely clear.

S: There's a slight maltiness to the aroma, but overall it's kind of skunky and unimpressive.

T: Some malt in the flavor, balanced with a bit of bitterness, but overall it's quite harsh. There's something unpleasant that I can't identify, but it's what I remember there being in the Geary's Summer Ale, which is supposed to be a completely different style of beer.

M: Medium-bodied, slightly creamy, with average carbonation.

D: This beer isn't that good... I wouldn't buy one again. Aside from the Pale Ale, I've never really had a good Geary's experience.

2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

Short, fat, stout, 12 oz bottle copped singly from Super Saver in Somerville for $1.49...
Pours a light, golden-colored hue with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated and left a negligent amount of lacing...
For an IPA, the hop aroma was almost non-existent and certainly nothing to write home about... perhaps a faint suggestion of hops with a slight level of carbonation evident and a tinge of vanilla, but that's all...
Less than spectacular taste, nothing to brag about at all... Geary's Hampshire Special Ale was great, but this one was a let-down...
Bland, flat, watered-down taste with not much going on at all...
Light, weak, pale mouthfeel, but drinkability was decent due to the relatively modest ABV and lack of cloying flavors...
Not recommended...

Pours a bright and clear copper color with a near-white head. Smells of spice and fruit of some sort (citrus/fig?) First sip has a strong spicy punch to it with a bite toward the end and strong yeasty taste to it, imbuing the brew with a breadlike flavor, reminds me of a lager quite a bit. The aftertaste is somewhat medicinal in character, a bit like mouthwash I'm afraid.

Overall this isn't a bad brew and certainly has it's good point but even what it does well still suffers from a lack of balance, and there are some subtle flavor shades that just aren't working for me.

Pours a deep copper with a fair head to start. A little lacing.

Smells of sweet roasted malt, some fruit.

Malt and alcohol dominate here, with some sweet, fermented stone fruit notes and a touch of butter. The hops are present but not exceptional. Touch of brown sugar/caramel. Lots of pieces, but all from different puzzles. Just alright, but off.

Medium body, alcohol warmth, and kinda a burnt finish.

Gave it a shot, but not the best. I wouldn't refuse if offered, and not the worst example, but I won't go out of my way for this.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Geary's Winter Ale from D.L. Geary Brewing Company