Geary's Hampshire Special Ale - D.L. Geary Brewing Company

Geary's Hampshire Special AleGeary's Hampshire Special Ale

D.L. Geary Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Once Maine’s legendary seasonal specialty, Hampshire is now available year round. Hampshire has a huge toasted malt flavor balanced by assertive hoppiness. The finish is long and lingering with the malt and hop notes blending with alcohol warmth. Original gravity - 1070; alcohol by volume - 7%; two row English malts (pale, crystal and chocolate); Cascade, Mt. Hood and East Kent Golding hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Geary's Hampshire Special Ale Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

Honestly, I'm not huge on the English Strongs, but this one just seemed way too sweet to me.

1.55/5  rDev -60.6%

12 oz brown bottle obtained at Hannaford's Supermarket Derry, NH. pours a crystal clear copper liquid with barely any head, maybe a centimeter and that's pushing it. smells of woodsy-ness, hops, and raisins definitely invades the senses. definitely taste the raisins and the earthy quality of the hops. doesn't give a nice after taste, reminds me of my nail polish remover. moderate carbonation. the drink ability of this beer isn't very good.... unless you like to drink nail polish. I get the impression that the bottle of beer i purchased wasn't very fresh, so hopefully I will obtain a fresh brew of this kind and be able to give this a better score,

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

Bottle thanks to jjpm74

A burnt orange with hardly any head, even after a fierce pour. Tiny bubbles on top of the liquid are few and far between.

Sweet malt and caramel with some apple notes.

Super sweet malt with some spiciness that finishes rather quickly. Some bitter hops but this is all about the malt. I dunno this isn't really my kind of beer.

A bit sticky, like watered down maple syrup.

Shew, had trouble finishing this one, in fact I gave the rest to my girlfriend who apparently loves it.

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well carbonated copper-amber body topped with a one finger creamy tan head.
The aroma is quite unique, very strong, the closest thing that comes to mind is sweaty gym socks hanging from a pine tree.
Toffee, pomegranate, honey and orange in the taste, cognac like high alcohols.
Medium body, seems much higher in ABV than it really is. This just didn't appeal to me at all.

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

A reluctant purchase @ just under $11 a six pack I can think of many others I would rather have at that price at $6 I might drink this more often but come to think of it it reminds me to much of brown ale, not that there's anything wrong with brown ale just I've had my fill.
Deep copper in color minimal head around the edge and a small island in the center no lace to speak of.
Smell- well may nose is a bit dry but I caught the malt and something citrusy
Taste- Felt the bubbles up front which reminds me of grapefruit then the malt ok but colder on this one I'm guessing would be better.
Mouthfeel- about the right consistancy bubbles tingle the front of the tongue
Drinkabliity- I'm not thinking of going back here again anytime soon it wasn't awful just not for me anymore.

2.75/5  rDev -30%

2.75/5  rDev -30%

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

A- Pours light red-brown with a small off-white head that has low retention. A small cloud and ring leave just a single spot of lace.

S- Very buttery caramel malt, butterscotch. Very slight earthy hops.

T- Big caramel and nutty malt. Some dark fruit and yeast bread notes. Something spicy in the finish throws me off with a stinging medicinal/fruit/herbal note. Alcohol very noticeable.

MF- Moderately thick body that is somewhat creamy. Carbonation comes in heaps before a slightly warm finish. Fairly bitter as well.

DB- I like the malt and yeast flavors but the bitter alcohol finish throws the balance off for me. Interesting but wears me down with a beastly finish. Certainly a "stronger" 7% beer.

2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of honey, fruit and spice, with a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with a burst of sweetness from flavors of honey, citrus, dark fruits and caramel. Then some hops bitterness and the sting of alcohol (surprising for a beer at only 7.00% ABV) come in. The malt character is on the thin side but there really doesn’t seem to be a much balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style. I really wasn’t all that impressed with this beer and it’s not one that I’d want to drink again.

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Dark gold, copper with a low tan head and decent carbonation. Piney, sprucey hop aroma -- the best character of this brew. HUge malty flavor with a warming alcohol sensation. Funky fruity, yeasty flavor ... maybe that's the Ringwood yeast. Medium bodied with an unpleasant finish.

Per Maine Brewer's Guild site: Original gravity - 1070; two row English malts (pale, crystal and chocolate); Cascade, Mt. Hood and East Kent Golding hops.

Glad I only bought a single bottle.

($1.43 / 12 oz.)

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured this bottle into a Pint glass and noted about a 2 finger thick head that was beige in color. The head did last a long time as I enjoyed the brew.

Color was deep copper and the beer was very clear.

The aroma was a little musty and I began to wonder if I encountered an older bottle.

A nice roasted malt flavor up front that faded to almost a metallic finish.

Yes, I think this bottle was not in great condition.

I consider this an average beer. I hope a fresher (perhaps non-skunked) bottle would be more enjoyable.

When finished I was excited to try a different brand.

Geary's Hampshire Special Ale from D.L. Geary Brewing Company