Geary's Pale Ale - D.L. Geary Brewing Company

D.L. Geary Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Our flagship. This is a classic British pale ale with a nod to the legendary beers of Burton-on-Trent. Copper-colored, dry, clean, and crisp with lots of late hop taste, in an appetizing complex with ale fruitiness from imported Hampshire yeast. Original gravity - 1047; alcohol by volume - 4.5%; two row English malt (pale, crystal and chocolate); Cascade, Mt. Hood, Tettnang and Fuggle Hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Geary's Pale Ale Alström Bros

4.85/5  rDev +36.6%

I found this at small rural store in Washington County Maine. I paired it with a spicy chili. It is now my favorite beer to drink with spicy food. It had a great smooth head that stayed for a while. The color was medium amber - good for this type. Excellent hop character. It was really good. I will keep some on hand from now on.

4.67/5  rDev +31.5%

This is a very nice, very English ale both in terms of balance and eespecially in the character, flavours, etc.

Copper, it has a medium, dense, light tan head that is fairly long lasting and leaves a little weak lace.

The aroma is malty, with bread, caramel hint, fruit, hay, a lot of leaves and tea, a hint of citrus.

The taset is leafy and earthy with fruit, hints of citrus and pine, light sweetness with spicey-bitter finish and some toast.

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

Nectar of the gods as far as I'm concerned. Perfect off white head, clear light amber color, sweet malty caramel aroma with hint of fruit. This is all a pale ale can be: crisp refreshing attack, almost lemony, followed by bittersweet malt middle, closing to a hoppy, but well balanced finish. Eat your heart out, Bass. A lower score on drinkability because the first sip usually tastes the best. Nicely salty, VERY New England, a true seaside beer, goes great with seafood (hint: take a look at the label). I love malts and this has plenty -- PLUS an incredible hop element to twist it to just the right dynamic. Bliss.

4.57/5  rDev +28.7%

O.K. so this is the beer I usually drink on an almost daily basis. You can find it in my fridge almost 7 days a week. With that disclaimer, here goes the review.
Darker than the average "pale" ale, very clear copper-amber. A good pour will produce light beige head that usually doesn't stay, but will leave some lace.
Nicely hopped aroma with some sweet malt lingering in the background. I love the balance of this beer's aroma.
Nice malty flavor with a rather full mouthfeel, balances out with a nice hopped finish with some light citrus undertones.
Drinkability on this one for me is exceptional. On tap it is a bit better, and the cask conditioned is awesome if you can find it.
Here in Portland, Maine where Geary's is made I have a hard time finding a better beer for the price (now $10.99 a twelve) unless it's the Geary's Hampshire Special Ale when available.

4.56/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an Alchemist Shaker pint.

a: Rich deep amber boasting a finger thick off white head which receded to even surface foam and heavy lacing.

s: Medium malt.

t: Mainly ale malt with some hop balance. Slightly more fruity than many pale ales, but more traditional and less hoppy than many of the craft-era ones or even the famous English "Bitter." For me, really tasty and wonderful.

m; Medium and quite rich.

o: Excellent traditional British-style pale ale which I will definitely be looking for again. Great to see this made in my region. Similar to and perhaps better than New Hampshire's Shipyard Chamberlain, another good malty real ale style brew.

UPDATE 8/26/14: Hadn't gotten around to re-reviewing this before now. So much good beer, so little digestive capacity. Bought another single though and had it tonight with dinner. Not nearly as crazy about it as I was. It's good and still fruitier than most Pales and still far less hoppy than many American ones, but I did not find it especially distinguished as "tasty and wonderful" or as "rich" as before. Thus downgrading my very high previous rating from 4.55 overall to 3.75. My reviewing software here changed a few weeks ago, I am no longer able to rate the five appearance/smell/.taste/mouthfeel/overall separately. So I have to go with this. I'll probably buy more and re-review again since the difference between first and second tastings was so inexplicably enormous.

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

Reviewed this earlier this summer and was wondering if it was just a fluke that I liked it so much on that particular night but upon picking up a sixer and trying it from the bottle this is just a world class beer, and I'm baffled once again that it gets average reviews. It may be slightly better on tap, but it's no slouch from the bottle either. I just love the hopping of this brew. It's perfect. Nice dusty, spicy, herbal boquet of hops on top of a nice pale malt profile. Excellent dry mouthfeel and this beer is so nice to drink. I've sort of become addicted to it. Everytime I got into the store I end up debating whether to get the Geary's or something I haven't had recently, and this beer usually wins it out. And that's strange because I never usually drink a lot of the same beer over and over. I definately urge people to go out and try this again with an open mind, because I think it's one of the best examples of a well made beer that I've come across.

4.51/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into glass but I would say:
BOTTLE>GLASS
Forms a 2cm foam head, which dissipates in <30 seconds

A:Amber and clear-like water that has too much iron in it, but looks inviting.

S: dull smoky oak aroma- pleasing and not overpowering

T: if bitter could taste delicious and pleasant this would be it- the aftertaste is similar to the smell.

M: carbonated, which first feels like a rush to the taste buds and spreads across the palette without too much intensity.

Overall I thoroughly enjoy it. Definitely one of my new favorite pale ale's

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

A- amber brown, great carbonation on the sides of the glass and a 1/2 inch head that is slowly dissapearing.

S- A slight bit of fruitiness, hoppiness. maybe a hint of decomposing leaves or earth.

T- fantastic. a little kick in the mouth at first that gets taken over by a sweetness that rests on the tounge. The earthy smell is carried over into the taste of this beer.

M- very easy to drink. smooth going down and tends to slide down the throat maybe a little with too much ease at times.

D- Get a twelve-pack now to save the trip back to the store if you only got six.

4.38/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Geary's flagship product, lets see how it turns out. Pours a perfect amber color and an impressive half inch white head: a very good looking beer. Nose was of doughy biscuits, light fruit and a marvelous floral bouquet to top it off. The taste was rather dry, with the biscuit flavors accompanied by a nice hoppiness and some slight juice tastes pulling through at the end. Mouthfeel was damn near perfect in its medium body. This is also a beer that is very easy to drink...It seems like an ideal candidate for even some beer drinkers not accustomed to heavier hop loads and new tastes. I really enjoyed this Pale Ale. With the alcohol being relatively low and the quality of the taste being so high, I have to say that this is one of the better, if not best Pale Ales that I have sampled in months past.

4.33/5  rDev +22%

Deep dark copper color, much darker than I expected. Head was tan/beige, full of rich hop bubbles. Nice floral/hoppy aromas, no sourness noticed. Taste was balanced and better than I expected. Nice sweet malty presence, lots of florals, citrus and hop goodness. Thirst quenching goodness, crisp dry finish. A very good Pale Ale. Better than Bass and lots of others. Cool label too. I had this with a lobster dinner in Maine and it was perfect !

4.33/5  rDev +22%

Picture perfect pour from 12oz bottle...two-finger white,sticky, head, deep golden amber,..with a floaty or two! Sticky lacing on the glass after each sip. Classic smell of cascade hops. Crisp clean taste, not too overpowering, hint of citrus and hops mixed with, sweet malt and grain,... and a sweet tea aftertaste. Reminds me more of an English Ale with extra carbonation, than a Pale Ale. Slick mouthfeel going down, with a dry finish,....very easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

pours a nice clear copper color with small head. dissipates quickly but leaves lace.

smells very lemony. somewhat flowery. nice and fruity, hoppy.

taste - nice brew. nice dry malty brew with crisp earthy hops on the finish. nicely balanced ale. i'm impressed.

mouthfeel is medium but nice and crisp. drinkability is ok. nice malty pale ale.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

One of the first micro beers I tried, thank you 'beer of the month club' circa 1990...

I recently found this beer again at a beer place close to where I work.

Pours a nice brown/amber color with a good amount of head and very nice lace.

It smells the way an APA should, sweet and malty.

Whoa!... this is a really good beer and the price won't kill you. It cost the same as a six of Saranac Pale Ale and it's slightly better tasting.

It's good beer, sweet, malty, and then a hint of hop bites my tongue.

I could "pound" these all night... I'm a bad boy!

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Appearance is crystal-clear, bright amber with a white head thats retains well from moderate carbonation.

Smell gives sweet bubble gum and some buttery diacetyl.

Tastes of nice roasted/toasty notes in the finish with some diacetyl and slight sulphur. Mild hop bitterness.

Very smooth with a pleasant dry finish. I think this is a great example of a pale ale with the yeast flavors coming through in a good way.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

translucent orange color... hoppy aroma... bitterness up-front but balancing malts aren't far behind... smooth.

a long time favorite that you will find in my fridge as often as any other beer. pretty close to the ultimate maine beer experience if you ask me.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

pours a nice orange colour with a strong head that dissolves fairly quickly yet never completely dissapears. caramel is apparent in smell and taste and is underscored by fruit flavouring and hints of saltiness. a bit different for a pale ale but it's one of my favourite new england brews and i make sure i always grab some when i can.

Geary's Pale Ale from D.L. Geary Brewing Company