Easy Honey Pale Ale - Shaftebury Brewing Company

Easy Honey Pale AleEasy Honey Pale Ale

Shaftebury Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-01-2003)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by IronDjinn:
IronDjinn

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A definite feather in the cap for Shaftebury's with this one, it by far surpasses everything I've tried from them so far (no wonder this was all sold out today at the first place I looked). Pours out a clear, rich golden hue with a big foamy white head, which recedes to a thin cap that stays the whole way. Some pretty major lacing involved as well. Nose is sweet from malt and alfalfa honey, plus the faintest hint of floral hops, and a bit of spice. Flavour is light, a touch herbal, with the hops tickling the back of the throat. A full robust mouthfeel for such a clear ale, it drapes the palate in velvet and goes down incredibly smooth. This is overwhelmingly drinkable brew, highly recommended to accompany hot summer weather. A very pleasant Canada Day discovery.

07-01-2003 14:20:33 | More by IronDjinn

12-02-2011 21:56:42 | More by papawu76
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a crystal clear burnished gold color with a one finger rocky cap. Fair head retention and lacing.

Aroma is lightly fruity with a musty sweetness to it and leafy hops in the background.

Light palate, soapy moth feel, modest malt spine, fruity lightly bitter soft character.

Up front you get some modest biscuit malts and a splash of light sweeness (honey?) then mid palate the hops shift from herbal to lightly bitter then dominate the flavor profile to the clean dry finish,

A light slightly dry pale with a light kiss of sweetness...not bad... pleasant but unmemorable.

11-13-2008 00:10:20 | More by pootz
ChrisCage

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

A- This has an impressive copperish/honey color that poured with an initial foamy head that dissapears rather quickly into not really even a complete thin ring around the glass....oh well I guess. I think that it has a rather clean looking appearance which isn't a bad thing, just nothing substantial.

S- I really liked the mild brown sugar aromas, and has maybe even a slight floral smell, but overall this is very pleasant. I like the fact that this beer has something other than the grainy "beer" smell that plagues so many of the brews that I drink on a more regular basis, quite a pleasure.

T- Again, I think that this has a lot of what the label says. It's definately smooth, with a moderate honey character to it. What I really like about this, is what I consider to be the decently hopped finish....you really know that with all the flavor and decent bitterness that you've tried something worthy of being called a craft beer.

M- Unfortunately, I wasn't overly impressed with how this felt on the palate. I was expecting something that felt like I had a full beverage but this leans slightly more towards the watery side of things. I will say that it feels more filling than many other beers I've had, but I guess I was expecting something more. I do like the moderate to mild carbonation that comes with drinking this ale.

D- I don't think I'd fill up on these during a sitting but nonetheless, I'd have a couple after a long days' work! I would probably put this into the top 3 honey ales that I've tried to date and do recommend anybody to give this a whirl...it offers more than say what Sleemans honey brown has to it. I will definately purchase this in the future when and where I can find it, as I haven't seen this in many places during my travels.

04-07-2008 04:45:18 | More by ChrisCage
canadianbarman

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

--average brown bottle, no freshness date found
--poured a standard colour, like a light brown honey. Did have a nice head that did thin out but left some minor lacing.
--smelled what you would expect, slightly floral smell.

This is a nice beer. The first I have had the chance to try from Shaftebury but I already have others in the beer fridge. The taste seemed to get better as the beer went down and I would drink this one again. Thx.

04-22-2006 19:55:41 | More by canadianbarman
Cwrw

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Easy Honey Pale Ale from Shaftebury's is one of those mediocre craft brews that satisfies the thirst well but lacks any complexity. I DO love the Shaftebury bottles though: something about the labelling, and the glossy silver "S" and the black cap. According to the website, this beer has been around since 1990, perhaps undergoing changes in that 16 years. Too bad this is just another tentacle of Sleeman's now. This is a great looking beer in the glass: a dense off-white head that did not froth too quickly, sitting atop an extremely clear honey/rust liquid. Sheets of lacing which turned into rings around the glass. For a pale ale, this fits the template perfectly. The aroma is quite basic in its sweet maltiness and faint honey aromas. It does smell fresh and appetising. The hopping is nill, the only real smell being some vanilla and the malt. That said, the malting is done very nicely, giving a crispness akin to the some German or Czech Pilseners. Faint roasted bread, grass, and maybe a little maple syrup. Good, though uncomplex. The first sip reveals a light maltiness, with a decent dryness in the finish. There is some sourish almost lactose-tasting maltiness in the middle, and a Continental hop-feel in the finish, and besides the softer body and lower carbonation, this beer could almost pass for a Czech or German Pilsener from taste, with the exception of a little more sweetness from this brew. In some sips I get that nasty macro-taste: dry alcohol with nothing to mask it. Refreshing, but the taste disappoints if you are expecting anything extraordinary. This is a pale ale that might as well be a pilsener. The mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation medium as well. Quaffable I grant you, exciting is another matter. Worthy of trying once. Not something I would purchase regularly.

01-10-2006 10:11:35 | More by Cwrw
Easy Honey Pale Ale from Shaftebury Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.