1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zywiec Beer - Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

Zywiec BeerZywiec Beer

poor

Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken) visit their website
Poland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2001)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zywiec Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 613 | Reviews: 353 | Show All Ratings:
TSJ4000

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +60%

Had this one on tap at a Polish festival in Omaha and man did I enjoy it. It was a hot day and the beer couldn't have been any fresher. I bought a glass and the head curled up along the top and dripped down the outside perfectly. My first smell I noticed more hops and character than I'm used to having in a Euro Pale Lager. This beer was balanced and rich in flavors but refreshing and delicious. No skunk either. I may make this my go to EPL.

08-09-2012 14:44:44 | More by TSJ4000
dreamchaser

Ontario (Canada)

4.59/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A bubbly, consistent white head with a very bright, very clear straw colour. Faint earthy hop aroma. Mouthfeel is full and dry, medium-carbonated. Taste is very light and crisp, with delicious and subtle hints of corn, green apple, hop and malt - a great balance. Vague acidity and a touch of metalicness but overall an extremely satisfying pale lager experience.

09-17-2013 21:18:52 | More by dreamchaser
Moose_Knuckle_Sandwich

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

This beer is awesome from the tap in Poland. Funny though, when I bought a six pack in the US it was not as good. I love the taste and like many other beers in the area it has that common European taste to it. This beer is a lower hopped beer with just the right amount to let you know you're drinking beer, but yet not all overwhelming. Look for this beer on tap when in Poland and enjoy. Also, ask the bartender the proper way to pronounce the name. It's tricky to say correctly.

04-26-2012 01:48:57 | More by Moose_Knuckle_Sandwich
Ryan805Beer

4.4/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Zywiec- Poland, 1pt .09floz, Alc. 5.6% Vol.

A golden yellow beer with a soft velvety head. A pleasant hoppy flavor with fruit like overtones. A robust full-flavor, very refreshing and satisfying. Thirst quenching yet leaves you wanting more. A great beer.

11-22-2007 08:07:36 | More by Ryan805Beer
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

This is shimmering golden beer with champaigne-like carbonation and big rocky white head that is slow to go and leaves great fractured lacing. Smell is great fresh baked bread backed by spicy noble hop and just a note of sweetness.

Man this is good. It has a slightly deeper malt taste than alot of other lagers which helps temper hop bitterness. Metallic taste is rather big here but it isn't harsh and actually kind of works. Its a little like licking a new penny. Alcohol comes out a bit toward the end. Every now and then an almost fruity taste pops up through the light sweetness. I guess this is kinda flawed and funky but its also flavorful and smooth and I like it. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and lively and I doubt this beer will last long.

09-17-2006 22:05:47 | More by JudgeRoughneck
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.22/5  rDev +38.4%

Zywiek “Beer” pours a clear golden amber from a 11.2 fl. oz. brown bottle. head goes to well over two fingers and on the way down to a thin cap, leaving a scanty lace.

Nose is a damp malt with a hint of floral hops. Palate has a nice sweet malt signature balanced with a bitter hops and just a hint of floral.

Good malt mixed with a well bittered presence of hops that will not have you wondering is there malt or isn’t there. No small beer this Zywiek “Beer” from Poland. At 5.7% alcohol by volume with barley and hops well represented, Zywiek “Beer” will not disappoint.

10-22-2002 19:29:22 | More by BeerBob
alankwak

4.22/5  rDev +38.4%

A: Pale yellow with good head, head rention and lacing. A very clear beer.
S: A slight aroma like that of a Pilsener. Pleasant indeed.
T: Very good, lightly hopped and a great balance with maltiness but on the side of the hops(Saaz I think). Very good. Clean, crisp and a fairly narrow flavor profile as would come from a good Lager.
M: Light but full for the style.
D: Awesome, I could throw many of these back. Not very filling and very enjoyable to drink.

My first Polish beer but not my last. In a way it reminds me of Grolsch....another European Pale Lager but a bit different. If you like Grolsch, you like this beer.:)

12-08-2005 02:56:48 | More by alankwak
MNJR

4.2/5  rDev +37.7%

Zywiec is obviously a mass market beer in Poland and is widely available here in Chicago, making it easy to lump in with average-costing imports like Becks, Heineken, etc. But, be aware that this is a far better beer than any comparably priced import. Nothing offensive here in the taste dept. The taste is fresh, crisp and clean. The carbonation is perfect and adds just the right amount of bite. The alcohol content is a bit higher than others in it's class, but with the richness of the taste it blends right in. This is what mass market American beers dream of being, but can't seem to pull off. This may be a buck or two more than Bud, Miller, Pabst, etc., but well worth it. This is a real quencher and goes down smooth and tasty. An excellent beer for getting out of hand and pounding down a few with an added touch of class! Very tasty!

12-03-2009 23:49:11 | More by MNJR
Thrasher

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Crystal clear gold with good head retention. Aroma is not too noticeable but if you search, there's some slight yeast mustiness and even a sickly candy-fruity-sweet aroma that I found unusual and appealing. Caramel malts come on as you would expect for a lager of this type and color; hops don't really present themselves and the finish is a bit wet. There is some light crispness in the middle but it does get railroaded. For the finish, the sweetness increases exponentially and leaves quite a fruity trace behind it. Very nice. There is some masterful yeast going on in this beer. I can understand some may be disappointed by the lack of hoppiness in this pilsner-style beer, and that is understandable. Some may even find it bland. Well I really liked it; the yeast is the most volatile, temperamental, complex part of the beer and this beer is nothing less than thrilling if you're into that, like I am. Like a good Belgian, disguised as a bland Euro-lager. Drink with strawberries or maybe raisins (this is just guesswork here; I am not eating either of those things at the moment).

03-06-2003 14:12:48 | More by Thrasher
woodychandler

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Major props to my county homie, Tone77, for being on the lookout for new CANs for me to try. Trades for us are simple - I just stop by his place of work to drop off CANs for him and he hooks me up. CAN you dig it?

I initially got two foamy, soapy fingers' worth of bone-white head that settled down pretty quickly. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a soft hoppiness, present but not in-your-face. In fact, it really smelled like lager should, no adjunct scents to get in the way. Mouthfeel was medium with a lager sweetness on the tongue. I have not had Zywiec since my Bloomfield Bridge Tavern days and it brought back fond memories of their Red and White dinner platters, sitting around with Stosh, drinking Polish and Baltic beers. Finish was smooth, soft, very lager-like. This was quite the hook-up and very welcome in my cooler at the beach!

04-19-2010 21:30:57 | More by woodychandler
baos

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +33.8%

Into my Atlas Good-Luck jar.

This is a good beer with a nice straw color and a 3 finger head to dwindles down to nothing. Aroma is clover-honey malty. Taste is sweet then fresh-grainy-brightness that is a rightness. End in a nice deeply bitter finish. I don't think the drinkers on this board give this one justice. Try on on its a good beer. Mouthfeel is pretty nice for this variety. Drinkability is A-one.

Na zdrowie!!!

09-21-2008 01:37:09 | More by baos
bmacaskill

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

What an excellent beer.

It has the most enticing aroma, a clean finish with a bit of hoppiness, and a gorgeous head. I buy Zywiec whenever I see it, and I have never been disappointed. It is a very consistent bottle, and a pleasure to drink. My only negative is that it seems a little thin... something that always takes my by surprise.

01-17-2004 00:38:25 | More by bmacaskill
pezoids

4.03/5  rDev +32.1%

Nice pour on this one. Frothy white head and a very pale golden yellow color with a low carbonation. Very lucid. Huge grassy hop note emanates from the beer, along with lively and spicy sweet grains. The taste is very smooth and crisp. Grainy character comes through, with a touch of lemon zest. The body is light and finishes with some oiliness. This is my second Polish lager and I must say this is another winner. Very nice and highly quaffable. A beer of high quality. Very good.

01-25-2004 03:45:37 | More by pezoids
rousee

4.03/5  rDev +32.1%

I had wanted to try this one for a while. I bought it about 2 wks ago. Brown 16.9 oz bottle and one of the cooler logos I know of. This is a little more than just unique art-it is good branding. I guess this must be the Bud of Poland. Again, I wish our (USA's) Bud,Millers, Coors 's were as good as other countries' versions of similar.

There is nothing noteworthy about appearance on this. Plain straw color, no lace, fairly decent malty grass and hoppiness on the nose but you have to have a few sips before this is apparent.

Taste is nice smooth malt/hops balance-grassy again-no noticeable metallic quality which is so common on this type beer.
I like it and I knew I would. I would bet that in Poland, this stuff is cheaper than bottled water. I am not planning on moving to Poland but....
Oh yeah it has good fuzzy,clean mouthfeel and drinkability is excellent.

10-26-2004 00:35:40 | More by rousee
UncleJimbo

16.9 oz brown bottle, capped. Sampled at Polonez restaurant in Las Vegas, NV. (Pronounced Zhi-vets)

This lager poured a clear, golden color with white foam that clung to the glass. The smell was a very pleasant malty and floral hops aroma. The taste was biscuity malt and floral hops; nicely balanced and very tasty. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with low hop bitterness but good floral hop taste. The body was medium with good carbonation. The aftertaste lingered. This was a very enjoyable lager: easy to drink and a good session beer.

08-22-2003 07:17:33 | More by UncleJimbo
redmosquito

This beer had a nice thermal label that changed color when the beer was the right temperature to drink. The beer poured a real pale straw color, clear with a dense white head. Strong sweet malt aroma, with faint floral hops and a little skunk, as it warms the malt aroma opens up with hints of Vienna or Munich malt. The flavor is malty sweet, not very bitter at all, and a touch of hops and a creaminess in the finish. The body is solid for a pale lager, and the sweetness stays around longer than most others. The malt flavor is amazing for such a pale beer, making this beer a must try.

10-28-2005 21:29:06 | More by redmosquito
billybob

pours a light golden color with a two finger white head with a easy pour, head settles to a ring on the glass and some lacing to the finish. aromas are earthy with hops there. taste is bready, yeasty, slightly sweet up front ending with a slightly salty taste. mouthfeel light and nicely carbonated. i happen to like a good lager and this one is not bad. good session beer.

06-04-2007 02:58:46 | More by billybob
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

Zywiec has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is pungent, full, and bready. Taste is of bold barley malt and nice, hefty hop spice. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Zywiec finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mild. This is just a great beer! I look forward to trying it, again. RJT

07-17-2013 22:47:28 | More by RonaldTheriot
drinksandeats

3.98/5  rDev +30.5%

Appearance: light golden in color. Not much head. No lacing.

Aroma: Smelled like a very clean lager. No off smells or "skunk". Light malt aroma, with hints of cold apple cider and grape juice.

Taste: nice burst of German noble hops. Clean and clear lager tastes; grape and pear shine through the even light taste.

Mouthfeel: Easy. Some carbonation bubbles that prick the inside of mouth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

08-05-2008 01:21:54 | More by drinksandeats
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev +30.5%

As I was wrapping up at Purdue (through the Indianapolis campus at IUPUI) I was presented with an opportunity to travel abroad and help educate students in Poland. We hit two cities on our tour of Poland; both sister colleges of Purdue University. While there we drank… a LOT. From the vodka to the beers, we pretty much drank every night of the week. But it was part of it. I have since become obsessed with vodka (mostly potato vodka) and always find an excuse to talk about the trip with friends, family, and strangers alike. Working at Total Wine & More I talk about my time spend in Poland in the vodka isle. People trust the Polish when it comes to vodka!

I drank beer in Poland, too. This is one of them. I had more of their porter, and while that is on the list and also in the fridge, I wanted to get this one out of the way. It is a Euro pale lager, and while not like the pale beers here in the United States, has a lasting and memorable flavor. I try to order this any chance I get. Whether you are living in Europe or right here in the United States of America, this is a good and readily accessible beer. Tonight I toast my friends from Poland and my time spent over seas. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Boring doesn't even begin to explain this beer in the glass. It looks like a cheap domestic. There is little head, and the lace is weak. But imagine sitting in Warsaw, drunk with your classmates. Then the beer looks amazing! I have so many memories from that trip. From seeing Juwenalia to waking up drunk, the trip was great for reasons other than the obvious. Anyway, the beer in the glass looks boring!

Nose: This smells better than I remember. It was a few years ago, so I don't really remember appreciating beer for what it was. Plus, this beer has been made for years. Over 100 years, to be honest. I wonder how the beer has changed over the years. It has a typical European beer aroma to it, and makes me want to just chug this until the glass is empty. I think of German beers when I smell this one.

Flavor: This beer is VERY drinkable. It has some nice notes up front, and then finished smooth and refreshing. This is nothing more than a good drinking beer. They serve these in HUGE glasses (or mugs) over there… and for good reason. The ABV here is low, but you could chug this stuff all day long.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty boring. Not much going on. Not too many bubbles, and the focus here is the finish and the aftertaste. When I move this around in my mouth, there are some intense bubbles… but that is nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: Maybe the best part of the beer. It is somewhat dry, with a nice pale finish. It is a Euro pale lager, so there aren't as many hops as you would expect from something made on this side of the pond… but it's nice. The finish has me craving for another sip!

Like I said, I spent some time in Poland. I remember drinking this in the airport and in the streets of Jeżów. I remember even ordering this at dinner our first night there. If you have never been to Europe, go. I don't care what country you visit, just go see how life is over there. From meeting and talking to strangers in Paris to ordering drinks from a Russian in Italy, life overseas is something that everyone should be privy to. This beer has a lot of meaning to me… and I will never forget my time spend in Poland.

Żywiec - The bottle says: "Poland's No. 1 Beer"

01-03-2013 04:29:19 | More by rickyleepotts
CBurtonHannum

Connecticut

3.96/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

What can I say, I like my beer. I had this one for the first time on a whim the other day and was pleasantly surprised. After the first taste out of the bottle, I had to pour it to see what was hiding in the bottle. My wife who generally likes pale ales said she liked it after the first sip. She asked me what it was. "Well" I said, "it looks like a honey ale but has an aftertaste like a lager." Very nice over all and at least as good as Fisher and three of that of Peroni, without the price.

04-17-2013 20:49:36 | More by CBurtonHannum
DarkerTheBetter

3.95/5  rDev +29.5%

This beer poured a bland golden brown with a film of white head. There were a swarm of tiny bubbles creeping up the sides of my glass to sustain the head.

Smelled of light, dry biscuits with a crisp hop that reminded me of dry leaves.

Tasted of light and dry apricot skins and biscuit dough with a big, dry, birch bark hop.

The mouth feel was light with a fair amount of carbonation.

Over all, I found this beer to be very crisp and extremely refreshing on a warm summer night.

05-28-2006 14:05:52 | More by DarkerTheBetter
CNeilP09

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +29.5%

well, the BEERchitect described it perfectly, in my opinion, but here's my take on it as well:

pours a beautiful clear gold, stifled and spotty on the pure white head. head dissipates quickly.

sniffs a bit acrid. nebraska grains and dirt. actually smells like georgia red clay after a slight rain.

on the tongue, it's juicy, yet unoriginal. has a bit of a beck's/pilsner urquell quality. i do like the very tart and quenching crispness to it. breadish and pilsner malts certainly peer through on this one. that is it's selling point in my book. this is a fantastic beer for the beach or being outside in the sun doing chores or something. it's certainly not a beer you'd flaunt around to your friends.

very light on the palette, crisp, aerated, lots of good carbonation.

again, this is more of an upper class session beer. something your boss would buy in bulk to serve at the company christmas party. my rating will seem a bit too generous, but i tried this beer on the suggestion from a pal who loves it...so i have his enthusiasm still lingering in my perception.

slainte

05-18-2008 05:03:09 | More by CNeilP09
Rennpferd

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +29.5%

It poured a golden/straw/pale yellow hue, more golden towards the core. It had a nice clingy three finger head. Very little activity, an occasional bubble of carbination could be seen.

It had a very sweet smell, like apples at first, then I started to detect some malt undetones.

It had a well balanced taste of malt and hops. It was very smooth and had a nice slightly dry finish with a hoppy bitterness.

It's good, I could drink a couple of these in a sitting and have no complaints.

09-04-2008 04:44:15 | More by Rennpferd
putnam

3.93/5  rDev +28.9%

At Polonia Restaurant in Hamtramck. My friend ordered this and I poured a little in my glass to taste. It is absolutely interchangeable with Becks. Clean, flavorful, a real Hanseatic emblem. High quality to appeal to the bourgeoisie without unneccassary, earthy complications of non-pasteurization or excessive dry-hopping. It embodies a wealthy, industrial aesthetic that, right now, I find attractive if not comforting.

08-23-2002 05:19:06 | More by putnam
Zywiec Beer from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)