Zywiec Beer - Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

Zywiec BeerZywiec Beer

poor

pDev: 20%
Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken) visit their website
Poland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zywiec Beer Alström Bros
Andreji

Colombia

2.68/5  rDev -12.1%

As part of a tasting including a Polish friend of mine, at the sous-bock in Paris, we decided to try their national- Zywiec. However, I was very disappointed in it. first off, the weak lager perception, a simple straw clear pour, with a bit of a head and not much else; a smell, clearly hoppy and with some malts reminding me of pilsners (which are not, btw, my favourites). The taste, shared among an initial malty slight sweetness, a posterior metallic pilsner like feel and finally a considerable bitterness, is not excessive, but not watery either, enhancing the mouthfeel.

06-17-2004 14:58:48 | More by Andreji
rotsaruch

3.73/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured a clear, golden straw color with a very impressive white head that slowly dissipated into a sheet of lace that clinged to the glass. A pleasant malty aroma was noticeable with a slight floral hop fragrance. It had a biscuity, sweet malt taste that was balanced by a floral/spicey hop flavor. The body is medium with a fine to moderate carbonation that leaves a slightly creamy mouthfeel. It finishes smooth and light with a fairly dry aftertaste that lingered. Overall, a pleasant beer with some nice malt and hop character.

06-10-2004 17:08:54 | More by rotsaruch
NJpadreFan

1.63/5  rDev -46.6%

Zywiec beer.
500 ml bottle
alc. 5.7%

My 1st Polish beer!

Appearance- light yellow almost clear with a soapy white head. Head didn't hold up very long.
Smell- sweet, cheap corn. Light malt.
Taste- Wow is this bad!! Bleeech! Sweet, yet bitter. A cheap lager. Meister Brau comes to mind.
Mouthfeel- bitter like battery acid.

Overall- absolutely undrinkable!! Man I know they drink antifreeze and petrol in Poland but this is worse!!!

04-12-2004 21:42:31 | More by NJpadreFan
rajendra82

Georgia

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Pale golden body with a thin head of white foam fed by forced carbonation. Slightly sulfurous hop aroma is typical of mass produced European lagers. Slightly sweet malt taste is pleasant and refreshing. Mouthfeel is thin but appropriate for the style. This defines the average of the entire spectrum of beers for me.

03-25-2004 04:38:58 | More by rajendra82
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

I wish this was their porter; Appearance: Golden straw tone thin white head, not too impressed thin lacing. Aroma: Grassy hop nite with a mildly citrus grassiness from the grains there, not bad clean smelling not too complex. Taste: Not very flavorful touch of grainy sweetness very bland, hop bitterness is untraceable to my tastebuds, dissapointment. Mouthfeel: Very thin weak carbonation, watery not going to waste my money on this one again. Drinkability: Unoffensive and light bodied seems like too many would leave me with a cracking headache, one is enough.

02-20-2004 00:42:24 | More by WVbeergeek
packetknife

Idaho

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

(I had a can and bottle too but on-tap it was a good bit better.)

Served in a iced branded mug. Clear dark yellowish tone, bleached white head that faded quickly. I couldn't smell much of anything other than some light hops on the nose. Remarkably ordinary lager that impersonates a pilsner on occasion. More malty on the tongue than expected, finish was clean and it was crisp troughout. Typical feel and drinkability. I did find this was the beer I liked most of the Polish beers I got to try in Warsaw and Rzeszow but that isn't saying much.

02-08-2004 08:44:25 | More by packetknife
WesWes

3.05/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a spotty white lace head. The aroma is decent. It is typical lager scent; pale malts and lager yeast. It does have a refreshingly sweet aroma that grabs my attention. The taste is average. It is light with a simplistic malt makeup. It finishes dry and clean with no aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent lager, but nothing I would drink again.

01-28-2004 01:59:38 | More by WesWes
cokes

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

Pale and clear golden with rapidly ascending bubbles. A bountiful white head resides atop.
Nose is grainy, and void of any signature characteristics, aside from subtle floral, metallic scent.
Begins lightly malty via bread-hues. White bread with the crust intact. Very faint trickles of apple and honey add sweetness, though it stays fairly dry. Hopping is of limited regard, but ends this florally. Minerals and metal are noticed along the way.
Light bodied and completely quaffable, and generally lacking in overall impression.

But at least there is a "Beer Thermometer" on the bottle. So I am assured that I consumed it at the proper temperature. What a revolutionary device!

01-28-2004 00:07:48 | More by cokes
pezoids

4.03/5  rDev +32.1%

Nice pour on this one. Frothy white head and a very pale golden yellow color with a low carbonation. Very lucid. Huge grassy hop note emanates from the beer, along with lively and spicy sweet grains. The taste is very smooth and crisp. Grainy character comes through, with a touch of lemon zest. The body is light and finishes with some oiliness. This is my second Polish lager and I must say this is another winner. Very nice and highly quaffable. A beer of high quality. Very good.

01-25-2004 03:45:37 | More by pezoids
bmacaskill

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

What an excellent beer.

It has the most enticing aroma, a clean finish with a bit of hoppiness, and a gorgeous head. I buy Zywiec whenever I see it, and I have never been disappointed. It is a very consistent bottle, and a pleasure to drink. My only negative is that it seems a little thin... something that always takes my by surprise.

01-17-2004 00:38:25 | More by bmacaskill
anders36

Sweden

3.38/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought this beer on a weekend trip to Poland earlier last year and haven't tryed it untill now. It has a nice golden colour with a nice head. The smell is weak and it smeel wheat. It has a little sweet taste, but not to sweet for me and it has almost no bitterness. I like beer with more bitter taste than this beer, but it is a beer you can drink alot of. If you like strong Polish beers...

01-05-2004 23:56:48 | More by anders36
JustinBathurst

3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

I drank quite of few of these over the past few months and I can say that I've never been disappointed. Quite a nice looking beer--straw gold, foam for a brief moment--but nothing out of this world. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary about the smell--certainly not anything negative that others have noted. I don't mind the flavour, but a friend who tried it when I first brought it home was immediately turned off by it. A good brew to have now and again, but nothing to die for.

11-29-2003 04:46:19 | More by JustinBathurst
BitteBier

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden straw color with a small amount of fine, wheat head. Nose is dominated by crisp grains with just a hint of skunkiness. The smell actually outclasses the taste, which is characterized by yeasty notes that the clingy mouthfeel keep hanging around even longer. Its best feature is a bit of hoppy crispness that is too fleeting. For a beer that looks and smells this crisp, the sticky mouthfeel is rather surprising. This is OK, but nothing more.

11-28-2003 22:11:32 | More by BitteBier
allboutbierge

Austria

3.6/5  rDev +18%

I stayed in Krackow for three days and noticed that this was by far the most widely available and popular beer.

Zywiec may have a name that is nearly impossible for an American to pronounce but offers qualties that all beer drinkers may enjoy. I noticed that all previous reviews have been of bottles and noted that this beer is very similiar to other mass produced import lagers. I did not find this to be totally true but I have only had the brew served from tap.

Served in a trademarked glass from a friendly waitress with a massive off head that looms for a particularly long time. Slightly sweet but mostly mellow, smooth, and 'grainy' in aspects of taste. Up until now I had always used 'grainy' as a negative charateristic of beers. In this case the grainy taste seemed to blend well with the light body, light carbonation, and aromatic aroma to create a beer that was not particularly unique but enjoyable and a new experience all the same.

Also, one has to note that with the exchange rate at time of review I paid scarcely 1,25 US for a pint. Any qualtity beer that priced this reasonable can not be knocked.

10-27-2003 15:49:42 | More by allboutbierge
ToneControl

United Kingdom (England)

3.88/5  rDev +27.2%

I was introduced to this beer by my mate who's just come back from a year in Poland. He will drink only 3 Polish beers, and this is the only one I can find in the UK.

It's impressively well-balanced for such a strong beer, but ultimately I couldn't drink more than 2 of these in one evening, it starts to get less refreshing (although not as much as the extra strong lagers popular in Scotland), and I turn to other beers. In a way, it's got a similar balance of thirst-quenching-property against strength as Stella Artois or Red stripe, but of course it tastes better than those.

It forms a large head, which disappears quite quickly. I do like this stuff, I always pick up a few bottles of this at my local store.

10-17-2003 23:50:27 | More by ToneControl
beerguy101

2.73/5  rDev -10.5%

Light gold color, small head. Lager-ish aroma, corn or rice? Typical euro-lager, some malt and hops. Kind of harsh and somewhat metallic. Ah corn. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is a little metallic. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. It does have a high tech thermometer thing in the label for letting you know the correct temperature to drink this stuff, but why bother? Is Zywiec the Polish word for Budweiser?

10-06-2003 04:02:20 | More by beerguy101
beergeek279

2.73/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color was golden, with very little head. The smell was light hints of malt. The taste had a very odd saltiness and the malt seemed to barely have even been used. Mouthfeel was smooth. As for drinkability, couldn't say I'd have too many more.

When I saw Zywiec, I thought I would be getting the Zywiec porter that everyone's raved about. Instead, I got this pale lager. Another blah macro lager, and certainly not one I'd rush to find again. On the other hand, the serving thermometer was interesting, but that's about it.

09-28-2003 22:31:27 | More by beergeek279
chaduvel

2.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Yet another imported pale lager. Nice golden color with a decent looking frothy head with some dimples even. Grains, backyards and leafy hop aromas are dominant. Leafy hop bite and cereal grains are the tastes, nice to have no skunkiness here though. Overall, better than some domestic macros, but nothing special.

09-22-2003 14:16:55 | More by chaduvel
Zraly

3.08/5  rDev +1%

A clear, golden pour with a good head that unfortunately doesn't retain for very long. Does cling nice down the glass, though. Slight sweet and herbal smell wafting up.

This is rather sweet, syrupy, and malty. Kind of a "rough diamond", if you will. It could use a bit more carbonation. I feel like this beer is too assertive up front, and not assertive enough in the finish. Sweet to begin with and finishes a tad thin. There are some nice violet notes in the hops department. There is also some weird skunkiness going down. Overall, it's decent.

08-30-2003 02:06:58 | More by Zraly
UncleJimbo

16.9 oz brown bottle, capped. Sampled at Polonez restaurant in Las Vegas, NV. (Pronounced Zhi-vets)

This lager poured a clear, golden color with white foam that clung to the glass. The smell was a very pleasant malty and floral hops aroma. The taste was biscuity malt and floral hops; nicely balanced and very tasty. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with low hop bitterness but good floral hop taste. The body was medium with good carbonation. The aftertaste lingered. This was a very enjoyable lager: easy to drink and a good session beer.

08-22-2003 07:17:33 | More by UncleJimbo
Mustard

District of Columbia

2.45/5  rDev -19.7%

Presentation: 17oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best before" date; $1.59 from the Beverage Warehouse near Culver City.

Appearance: Pours a sparkling gold with a fine, snow-white, two-fingered head; not much in the way of lacing or head retention.

Aroma: Predominantly of grain; lightly malty.

Taste: Light malty-sweetness upfront; faint traces of an earthy type hop-bitterness in the finish; firm notes of grain throughout; slightly phenolic. Watery.

Notes: Worthwhile only as a reminder of how weak a pale lager can be.

08-21-2003 08:36:53 | More by Mustard
TerryW

2.2/5  rDev -27.9%

Pleasant light gold, but very little in the way of a head. No lace. Nicely carbonated though. Good bubble show.

Smells yeasty and sweet with a trace of hops.

Smooth and soft on the mouth. Noticeably sweet. Finishes bitter and slightly hoppy. Not hugely flavourful – a gentle, sweet sort of thing. A little too sugary to enjoy a whole bunch off. Like drinking flat, syrupy soda pop after a while. Couldn't really finish it. Get it while it's cold.

If you remember this beer it'll be for the novelty label that shows a red Zywiec logo when it cools down to proper drinking temperature. Cover it with your thumb to warm it up, let go, watch it magically re-appear. And that's pretty much the highlight reel for this one.

08-12-2003 03:14:44 | More by TerryW
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%

Brown 500mL bottle, I waited until the magical Zywiec logo appeared on the back label whilst chilling in the fridge, letting me know it is the proper temperature to consume. Shows that they put a little thought and effort into the proper consumption. Pours out a clear gold with a fair sized head that is retained halfway through consumption. Nose is yeasty and metallic, with a little bit of butter and a hint of citrus. Taste is buttery sweet with an astringent finish. Somewhat dry. A decent offering for a pilsner, it doesn't blow my skirt up, but I wouldn't say no if someone bought me another one.

05-22-2003 20:40:00 | More by IronDjinn
Wildman

3.63/5  rDev +19%

This beer poured a light gold color and fromed a nice foamy white head that left some trace lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation was present. It had an aroma of hops and grain with a touch of caramel. The flavor was of hops, grain and citrus with a touch of sweetness slightly hinting of caramel in the finish. Now technically I believe this to be a pilsner rather than a lager, and I think it does a fine job of it. Some of reviews had me fearful from getting it from less than my steller store manager who would never allow the clear glass to be exposed lone enough to be subject to skunkiness.

04-29-2003 19:35:35 | More by Wildman
Thrasher

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Crystal clear gold with good head retention. Aroma is not too noticeable but if you search, there's some slight yeast mustiness and even a sickly candy-fruity-sweet aroma that I found unusual and appealing. Caramel malts come on as you would expect for a lager of this type and color; hops don't really present themselves and the finish is a bit wet. There is some light crispness in the middle but it does get railroaded. For the finish, the sweetness increases exponentially and leaves quite a fruity trace behind it. Very nice. There is some masterful yeast going on in this beer. I can understand some may be disappointed by the lack of hoppiness in this pilsner-style beer, and that is understandable. Some may even find it bland. Well I really liked it; the yeast is the most volatile, temperamental, complex part of the beer and this beer is nothing less than thrilling if you're into that, like I am. Like a good Belgian, disguised as a bland Euro-lager. Drink with strawberries or maybe raisins (this is just guesswork here; I am not eating either of those things at the moment).

03-06-2003 14:12:48 | More by Thrasher
Zywiec Beer from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)