Zywiec Beer - Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

Zywiec BeerZywiec Beer

poor

Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken) visit their website
Poland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-08-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zywiec Beer Alström Bros
rousee

4.03/5  rDev +31.7%

I had wanted to try this one for a while. I bought it about 2 wks ago. Brown 16.9 oz bottle and one of the cooler logos I know of. This is a little more than just unique art-it is good branding. I guess this must be the Bud of Poland. Again, I wish our (USA's) Bud,Millers, Coors 's were as good as other countries' versions of similar.

There is nothing noteworthy about appearance on this. Plain straw color, no lace, fairly decent malty grass and hoppiness on the nose but you have to have a few sips before this is apparent.

Taste is nice smooth malt/hops balance-grassy again-no noticeable metallic quality which is so common on this type beer.
I like it and I knew I would. I would bet that in Poland, this stuff is cheaper than bottled water. I am not planning on moving to Poland but....
Oh yeah it has good fuzzy,clean mouthfeel and drinkability is excellent.

10-26-2004 00:35:40 | More by rousee
PeterJ

05-21-2014 02:25:24 | More by PeterJ
metalblack

11-10-2012 23:15:15 | More by metalblack
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

Zywiec has a thick, white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is pungent, full, and bready. Taste is of bold barley malt and nice, hefty hop spice. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Zywiec finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mild. This is just a great beer! I look forward to trying it, again. RJT

07-17-2013 22:47:28 | More by RonaldTheriot
Deivos

04-24-2012 03:25:20 | More by Deivos
redmosquito

This beer had a nice thermal label that changed color when the beer was the right temperature to drink. The beer poured a real pale straw color, clear with a dense white head. Strong sweet malt aroma, with faint floral hops and a little skunk, as it warms the malt aroma opens up with hints of Vienna or Munich malt. The flavor is malty sweet, not very bitter at all, and a touch of hops and a creaminess in the finish. The body is solid for a pale lager, and the sweetness stays around longer than most others. The malt flavor is amazing for such a pale beer, making this beer a must try.

10-28-2005 21:29:06 | More by redmosquito
seanbren

03-29-2012 13:45:36 | More by seanbren
billybob

pours a light golden color with a two finger white head with a easy pour, head settles to a ring on the glass and some lacing to the finish. aromas are earthy with hops there. taste is bready, yeasty, slightly sweet up front ending with a slightly salty taste. mouthfeel light and nicely carbonated. i happen to like a good lager and this one is not bad. good session beer.

06-04-2007 02:58:46 | More by billybob
inkstain

12-21-2012 04:45:10 | More by inkstain
djbulbasaur

09-07-2012 18:59:32 | More by djbulbasaur
jtdolla911

11-18-2011 03:58:35 | More by jtdolla911
UncleJimbo

16.9 oz brown bottle, capped. Sampled at Polonez restaurant in Las Vegas, NV. (Pronounced Zhi-vets)

This lager poured a clear, golden color with white foam that clung to the glass. The smell was a very pleasant malty and floral hops aroma. The taste was biscuity malt and floral hops; nicely balanced and very tasty. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with low hop bitterness but good floral hop taste. The body was medium with good carbonation. The aftertaste lingered. This was a very enjoyable lager: easy to drink and a good session beer.

08-22-2003 07:17:33 | More by UncleJimbo

BeeSquared

07-12-2014 06:29:02 | More by BeeSquared
drinksandeats

3.98/5  rDev +30.1%

Appearance: light golden in color. Not much head. No lacing.

Aroma: Smelled like a very clean lager. No off smells or "skunk". Light malt aroma, with hints of cold apple cider and grape juice.

Taste: nice burst of German noble hops. Clean and clear lager tastes; grape and pear shine through the even light taste.

Mouthfeel: Easy. Some carbonation bubbles that prick the inside of mouth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

08-05-2008 01:21:54 | More by drinksandeats
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev +30.1%

As I was wrapping up at Purdue (through the Indianapolis campus at IUPUI) I was presented with an opportunity to travel abroad and help educate students in Poland. We hit two cities on our tour of Poland; both sister colleges of Purdue University. While there we drank… a LOT. From the vodka to the beers, we pretty much drank every night of the week. But it was part of it. I have since become obsessed with vodka (mostly potato vodka) and always find an excuse to talk about the trip with friends, family, and strangers alike. Working at Total Wine & More I talk about my time spend in Poland in the vodka isle. People trust the Polish when it comes to vodka!

I drank beer in Poland, too. This is one of them. I had more of their porter, and while that is on the list and also in the fridge, I wanted to get this one out of the way. It is a Euro pale lager, and while not like the pale beers here in the United States, has a lasting and memorable flavor. I try to order this any chance I get. Whether you are living in Europe or right here in the United States of America, this is a good and readily accessible beer. Tonight I toast my friends from Poland and my time spent over seas. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: Boring doesn't even begin to explain this beer in the glass. It looks like a cheap domestic. There is little head, and the lace is weak. But imagine sitting in Warsaw, drunk with your classmates. Then the beer looks amazing! I have so many memories from that trip. From seeing Juwenalia to waking up drunk, the trip was great for reasons other than the obvious. Anyway, the beer in the glass looks boring!

Nose: This smells better than I remember. It was a few years ago, so I don't really remember appreciating beer for what it was. Plus, this beer has been made for years. Over 100 years, to be honest. I wonder how the beer has changed over the years. It has a typical European beer aroma to it, and makes me want to just chug this until the glass is empty. I think of German beers when I smell this one.

Flavor: This beer is VERY drinkable. It has some nice notes up front, and then finished smooth and refreshing. This is nothing more than a good drinking beer. They serve these in HUGE glasses (or mugs) over there… and for good reason. The ABV here is low, but you could chug this stuff all day long.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty boring. Not much going on. Not too many bubbles, and the focus here is the finish and the aftertaste. When I move this around in my mouth, there are some intense bubbles… but that is nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: Maybe the best part of the beer. It is somewhat dry, with a nice pale finish. It is a Euro pale lager, so there aren't as many hops as you would expect from something made on this side of the pond… but it's nice. The finish has me craving for another sip!

Like I said, I spent some time in Poland. I remember drinking this in the airport and in the streets of Jeżów. I remember even ordering this at dinner our first night there. If you have never been to Europe, go. I don't care what country you visit, just go see how life is over there. From meeting and talking to strangers in Paris to ordering drinks from a Russian in Italy, life overseas is something that everyone should be privy to. This beer has a lot of meaning to me… and I will never forget my time spend in Poland.

Żywiec - The bottle says: "Poland's No. 1 Beer"

01-03-2013 04:29:19 | More by rickyleepotts
CBurtonHannum

Connecticut

3.96/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

What can I say, I like my beer. I had this one for the first time on a whim the other day and was pleasantly surprised. After the first taste out of the bottle, I had to pour it to see what was hiding in the bottle. My wife who generally likes pale ales said she liked it after the first sip. She asked me what it was. "Well" I said, "it looks like a honey ale but has an aftertaste like a lager." Very nice over all and at least as good as Fisher and three of that of Peroni, without the price.

04-17-2013 20:49:36 | More by CBurtonHannum
DarkerTheBetter

3.95/5  rDev +29.1%

This beer poured a bland golden brown with a film of white head. There were a swarm of tiny bubbles creeping up the sides of my glass to sustain the head.

Smelled of light, dry biscuits with a crisp hop that reminded me of dry leaves.

Tasted of light and dry apricot skins and biscuit dough with a big, dry, birch bark hop.

The mouth feel was light with a fair amount of carbonation.

Over all, I found this beer to be very crisp and extremely refreshing on a warm summer night.

05-28-2006 14:05:52 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Rennpferd

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +29.1%

It poured a golden/straw/pale yellow hue, more golden towards the core. It had a nice clingy three finger head. Very little activity, an occasional bubble of carbination could be seen.

It had a very sweet smell, like apples at first, then I started to detect some malt undetones.

It had a well balanced taste of malt and hops. It was very smooth and had a nice slightly dry finish with a hoppy bitterness.

It's good, I could drink a couple of these in a sitting and have no complaints.

09-04-2008 04:44:15 | More by Rennpferd
CNeilP09

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +29.1%

well, the BEERchitect described it perfectly, in my opinion, but here's my take on it as well:

pours a beautiful clear gold, stifled and spotty on the pure white head. head dissipates quickly.

sniffs a bit acrid. nebraska grains and dirt. actually smells like georgia red clay after a slight rain.

on the tongue, it's juicy, yet unoriginal. has a bit of a beck's/pilsner urquell quality. i do like the very tart and quenching crispness to it. breadish and pilsner malts certainly peer through on this one. that is it's selling point in my book. this is a fantastic beer for the beach or being outside in the sun doing chores or something. it's certainly not a beer you'd flaunt around to your friends.

very light on the palette, crisp, aerated, lots of good carbonation.

again, this is more of an upper class session beer. something your boss would buy in bulk to serve at the company christmas party. my rating will seem a bit too generous, but i tried this beer on the suggestion from a pal who loves it...so i have his enthusiasm still lingering in my perception.

slainte

05-18-2008 05:03:09 | More by CNeilP09
putnam

3.93/5  rDev +28.4%

At Polonia Restaurant in Hamtramck. My friend ordered this and I poured a little in my glass to taste. It is absolutely interchangeable with Becks. Clean, flavorful, a real Hanseatic emblem. High quality to appeal to the bourgeoisie without unneccassary, earthy complications of non-pasteurization or excessive dry-hopping. It embodies a wealthy, industrial aesthetic that, right now, I find attractive if not comforting.

08-23-2002 05:19:06 | More by putnam
neenerzig

3.9/5  rDev +27.5%

My father, who is 100% Polish American, got a 6 pack of this stuff for Christmas and was kind enough to let me try one. Poured into a standard beer mug. This beer pours a clear, light golden color with a nice white had about 2/3 inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice, fluffy surface layer about 1/5 of an inch thick that has some very good staying power. Nice lacing too. Some sweet malt aroma followed by a hint of grassy hops were present. fairly pleasant, but nothing special. The taste is pretty much the same, sweet, grainy malt upfront followed by some fairly subtle grassy hops. Enjoyable, but nothing special or complex. A crisp and smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easy to drink. Certainly worth a try and I enjoyed it, but nothing I would go out of my way to track down.

Eric

12-26-2007 02:34:43 | More by neenerzig
Zywiec Beer from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)