Zywiec Porter - Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)

Zywiec PorterZywiec Porter

Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken) visit their website
Poland

Baltic Porter |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001

3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours the color of burnt molasses with a modest tan head. Bubbles of carbonation coat the length of the glass, giving it a cola-like appearance. Aroma smells mildly of dark fruit, alcohol, and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is strongly alcoholic, accompanied by dark fruit and a metallic twinge. Warming reveals some coffee and anise as well. The front end is a little on the fierce side, but drinkable.The saving grace here comes on the back end, where a wave of bitter chocolate and smoke sweep the palate clean. The metallic flavor never quite goes away though, which is a little off-putting. The mouthfeel is interesting--slick and moderately viscous, which suits the style well, but the relatively high carbonation mitigates the body some and negates what could have been an excellent mouthfeel. I have limited experience with Baltic porters, but I've found them to be an interesting animal, and this is no exception: rich, roasty, and flavorful, but infused with an industrial character that confuses more than it charms. Zywiec Porter comes off as a beer I want to really like, but ultimately leaves me merely bemused.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Probably the strongest of Baltic Porters. What's important, high alcohol content doesn't insult one's palate.

Color deep ruby, with dark mahogany streak. Carbonation low, bubbles minuscule. Head medium, of creamy texture, cappuccino-colored, long-lasting.

Aroma sweet and complex: well-roasted malts, black coffee, dry fruit plus a grape note, just like some wine was added.

Start malty, warming, alcohol well-mixed with malts, strong spicey accent, pleasant smoky finish and long warm roasted-sweet aftertaste.

A Port among Porters. Great beer!

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Fantastic beer. I just can't believe the strength of this beer; it's so drinkable.

My sample poured with a lovely head that lasted a long time. The aroma was of esters and chocolate and patent malts, not too much hops.

The flavor matched the aroma. Just in the aftertaste do I get the slightest twinge of alcohol.

I drank this beer at the table of my corner deli, and I plan on doing so again.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

There are only two beers from this brewery on our list, and this one has been starring at me every time I open the fridge. This is one of my favorite beers of ALL time! I know, I know… I never say that. But I would put this one in my top 5. It's cheap, too. For a 9.5% beer that has been aged this long and has been shipped so far… for $2.39 (at Sun Devil Liquors) this is a great beer. Anyway, I am excited to be drinking another Żywiec Porter. I bought two bottles the last time I was at Sun Devil, and didn't even realize it was on the list. Glad I saved this bottle! Or maybe I just need another trip to Sun Devil Liquors.

In the Glass: Pitch. Black. This is VERY dark, and has a very nice frothy tan head. The lace is decent, too as the beer just hangs on for dear life as I swirl this around the glass. Funny thing is, I don't remember drinking this very often in Poland. The first time I had it I ordered it because I didn't know what it was… and immediately fell in love. It felt thinner in Europe for some reason. But that was a few years ago. Today is looks nice and thick. As always, we are drinking this right out of the fridge.

Nose: I immediately pick up some copper notes and then finish with some dark fruits/burnt chocolate aromas. I have had a few Baltic porters lately, but nothing compares to this. Until today I didn't realize the process was so intense. The aging and everything… but maybe that is what makes a porter a Baltic porter. A second whiff has me smelling some more intense copper notes and has me drooling for a drink.

Flavor: The flavor is, at first, weak and somewhat dry. Then as you start to swallow the expected porter flavors rush to the top of the tongue. This is WAY too cold, but a quick swish in your mouth will have your entire palate excited and ready for another sip. The copper notes that I was smelling are there, and they are obvious. Not like I am sucking on a penny, but close.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty boring, to be honest. I don't drink this for the mouthfeel. I drink this for the aftertaste. So let's just get to the aftertaste… the best part of this beer!

Aftertaste: A lot of Irish stouts claim to be "dry". They will even say "dry" on the side of the box. But very few are actually dry. This one… this one is VERY dry. The finish is so dry, I can see some people taking one drink and never ordering this beer again. But that is why I like it. I like the dry finish. That is what I like in a gin martini, too. I use extra dry vermouth when I mix one of those. Oh, and bleu cheese stuffed olives are the best!

The Żywiec Porter is a very nice porter that has a fantastic finish. The aftertaste is great, and it brings back memories of being in Poland. I will say, this beer gets better as it heats up. If I were to buy this one again (and I will) I will freeze a glass and pour it in room temperature. You don't want to ruin the flavor of a beer by chilling it. There should be a public service announcement about beer temperatures.

If you can get your hands on this, do. It's a great porter for a great price. Remember, it's 9.5% ABV! Bottoms up, people.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours thick and opaque black producing a dense, tight, long lasting tan head. Luscious aromas of dark chocolate, figs, raisins, molasses, roasted malts, along with some faint espresso coffee beans and smokiness. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and full yet shows a moderate level of crisp carbonation which allows the flavors to explode on the tongue. Initial flavor leans toward the sweet side showing off notes of dried dark fruits, licorice, molasses, dark rum and burnt caramel. Mid to late palate transcends into a moderate roasted malt/charcoal, dark chocolate, espresso bean bitterness with just the slightest hint of alcohol. It’ll sneak up on you quick since it is well hidden. Probably the best Baltic Porter on the market here in the U.S.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I poured this into a Southampton pint glass. The colour is a deep black body, off-white head with some good lacing and decent retention. Smell is chocolate-coffee, and taste and mouthfeel is a velvety milkiness with some hoppiness interspersed within. Decent drinkability and a solid entry from Poland.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

This one's polish and I got it as I heard quite a bit about it. BA reviews are also looking
pretty promising on this one. This Polish Porter is my first ever porter which I bought from
Brauhaus, to go, after I had my German Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock on site. The Zywiec Porter
pours out almost coffee black with a very minimal head which slowly becomes a coffee like lacing.
This beer gives out a strong smell which is clearly coffee and caramelized malts which resembled
the German doppelbocks and eisbocks to some extent but still not quite. I think there is also
some similarity to a stout. The taste was somewhat an exemplification of the caramel and malt
as well as a very subtle dash of dark fruits. The taste was rich, mellow, robust, strong and has
a slightly metal finish which makes it not as good as the Eisbock I had at Brauhaus. Also evident
in the taste was a slight bitterness which was not at all overwhelming; it is not sweet though
it could do with a little maple sweetness to balance things out. Almost nothing alcoholic in the
taste at all which was great, considering that this porter goes at about 9.5 ABV. In terms of
mouthfeel, this porter is close to full-body and felt silky smooth in the mouth and as I drink
it. Although this one's a sipper, I Would say that it boasts of a high level of drinkability
due to its smoothness and slight creaminess mouthfeel. An impressive go to start my adventure
into the world of Porters.

Pours a deep, opaque black with a 1-finger brown head that lasts and lasts, lacing the entirety of the glass with thick sheets and gobs.

Banana bread is strong in the nose, with caramel and dark fruit underneath. Enticing.

Hot, dark banana bread. Dark fruit: overripe plum, fig, raisin. Anise and coriander on top of an herbal/pine hop character. Very nice. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel while still managing to tingle and finish spicy. Well done BP. Dangerously sessionable.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

This was going out on a limb a bit for me; I don't venture to the import section of the bottle store too often, and I think this is my first beer from Poland. Overall I was very pleased, very rich full beer and absurdly cheap. Pours dark with medium head. Smells very good: chocolate and cinnamon and roasted malt. Follows with rich flavor as well. Chocolate and malt, hints of coffee. No booze. Very mild metallic taste. Only thing odd to me about this is that it is called a porter. I was expecting something a little lighter weight. Good all around!

2.65/5  rDev -32.1%

Pint bottle

App: deep black with a frothy tan head with great lace

Smell: chocolate and raisins balanced by herbal hops. Exactly what the style should smell like.

Taste: here the beer fails. The body is really thin. The flavor strongly bitter and rough from dark roasted malt and.hops. ends with strong mineral flavored hops. As it warms it gets better, but never good.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

THIS IS NOT A BALTIC PORTER. If you know and enjoy the style, steer clear of this beer. This tastes nothing like a baltic porter. Just because this brewery is Polish, this is automatically a baltic porter?

Black with no light shining through it. Nice light mocha head. Lacing is actually pretty solid throughout the session.

Kind of a mix of roasted malt, chocolate, and alcohol on the nose.

Taste mirrors the nose. Roasty bitter malts, alcohol.

Well carbonated. I wonder if the carbonation is bringing out the alcohol more?

Overall this beer is OK. It's a 9.5% beer, and unfortunately you taste each and every percentage of alcohol in this beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to get this again.

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

As a porter, the Zywiec is not too shabby. As an imperial/Baltic... I was not at all impressed.
The taste was boring, the look was not in the least way impressive, and the very crux of the beer lacked complexity; the drinkability for a 9.5% beer was impressive.

Maybe I was hoping for those chocolaty, coffee-ey notes in craft baltics, but this beer was worth not a cent more than its 1.99

Zywiec Porter from Zywiec Breweries PLC (Heineken)