Monteith's Radler - Monteith's Brewing Co.

Monteith's RadlerMonteith's Radler

poor

Monteith's Brewing Co. visit their website
New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jahsausage on 08-14-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by TubaManJack:
2.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A kiwi drink for summer --> Like RTDs, Corona/Lime, a summer shanty. I was offered it as a "reward" for cleaning out the flat's fridge.

Appearance- A light golden "lagerish" color, Limited head with vanished like the moa.

Smell- A very sugarly floral scent arrises from the glass. A lot of citrus - both lemon/lime and lemongrass. Quite Pleasant

Taste and Mouthfeel- Very similar to the smell, however there was some malt flavors after the citrus fads. The drink is flat and a bit like the last bit of Sprite out of a 2L.

Drinkability- If RTD and fruity drinks are you thing then have at it.

3.85/5  rDev +59.8%

This is a fun beer!

It isn't designed to be complex, it isn't designed to be challenging - it simply designed to be something a cyclist can enjoy after a journey over the Southern Alps, if the story on the back of the bottle can be believed.

It has a very pleasant citrusy smell, and an acidic twang that is quite refreshing.

My major criticism is that it is a little over carbonated, but it is still very drinkable, and worth a try.

3.21/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the brewery in Greymouth, NZ in Dec. 2013.

A very citrusy radler with lively carbonation and lime in addtion to the usual lemon. Crisp and refreshing but so much citrus the lager base is masked. More like a "wine cooler" than a beer.

Overall: a refreshing and thirst quenching beverage with little resemblance to a lager beer.

2.95/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer is something new to me, presumably going by Monteiths usual naming style it is a "Radler" whatever that is. It is a lager infused somehow with Lemon & Lime. I came to it expecting something along the lines of a pre-made lager & lime but was suprised. In appearance it is a very clear, mid to pale colour with a lightweight head. The packaging makes much of the citrus notes which are certainly dominant in the flavour - yet not overpoweringly so. It finishes with a short hop note with a residual citricy aftertaste. On the whole I found it drinkable but not really exciting I found that it was hard to disassociate the lemon and lime flavours from cordials so this may well have influenced my score. .

1.68/5  rDev -30.3%

Golden pour with a short-lived small pond scum-like head.
Aroma is completely artificial, with lime dish washing liquid, yellow jellybeans and lemon sherbet. Some sickening rancid smell underneath, can't quite pinpoint it though. No malt or hops at all.
Flavours are exactly the same, imagine corona with lemon and lime lollys added. Way to sweet and cloying.
Incredibly watery. Pretty high carbonation.

2.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a deep golden color with about a cm of creamy white head that clings to and laces the glass all the way down. Smells sweet and citrusy and a little floral. Not too bad. The taste is very sweet and citrusy, almost like...sprite? I don't know what to make of it, it's like a not-quite-as-sweet version of sprite. My wife says it smells and tastes like a shandy (beer and sprite). Mouthfeel is watery and very flat. Overall, it's drinkable, in the same way a flat sprite is. I was expecting beer though.

2.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a lifeless Golden colour with a hint of Amber. What head there is, dies.

S - Aromas of zesty lemon and lime.

T - Lemon and ginger dominate and a syrupy sweetness.

M - Light body and full carbonation that is refreshing.

D - If you have been doing something in the garden on a hot summers day, this will fit the bill. Otherwise offers little.

2.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Chilled 330 ml bottle poured into a stemmed pilsner glass.

Pours a bright amber, almost too bright actually, grows a fluffy white head that beads away rather rapidly.

The aroma on this thing is like a jolly rancher candy in lemon format. The label boasts of lemon and the nose confirms. The only issue here is that it doesn't smell like any lemon i've had but it does smell like sprite.

At first the taste was a little confusing, I had the lemon bit down but I was also getting some ginger. My conclusion was that it must be due to the use of artificial sweeteners etc. What I didn't get a lot of was hops or malt.

Mouthfeel was refreshing but in a soft drink kind of way.

Its kind of pointless to continue with a review on this. This is really suited to kids or maybe backyard bbq's, not the kind of folk that would visit a site like this to read bout beer.

One last thing - don't let this beer spoil Montleith for you. This is a good brewery with many good offerings available.

1.65/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I visited the Monteith's brewery while visiting Greymouth, NZ, overall fun tour and they let us pour what ever we wanted for 40 minutes, after giving us a taste of their whole range.

I don't generally like this style, but this one honestly tasted like gatorade from the powder, and the I would drink this after a race or heavy excersice but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The lemon lime seemed artificial, which didn't sit well with me.

2.98/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It stood in the pint glass with minimal head and a typical tone for a light lager.

The smell was hinting of the lemon and lime however the smell is very misleading.

The taste had note of the lemon lime flavor, however a very dry grainy taste from the malts was the dominating factor, almost leaving a stale taste in my mouth.

The moderate level of carbonation along with the note on citrus did leave a good mouth feel despite lackings in the taste department.

Although not the most complex or layered of beers, it is a decent light lager when taken for what it is, just a good beer to drink on a hot day.

3.05/5  rDev +26.6%

I could be reviewing beer, softdrink, or iced earl grey tea... the lines blur with this offering.

Looks good. Pours a honey colour with good bubbles; a white frothy head.

Smells...yikes... firstly like ginger ale, then lemon peel/lemongrass, then something herbal, like bergamot, which I guess must be from the hops.

Tastes as it smells, if not more intense. Very fragrant, perfumy citrus, fruit tingle, soft drink.

Very dry, crisp finish, enhanced by the citrus acids. A very late soft, bitterness akin to a herbal tea. And there is this persistent perfume feeling, which makes me instinctively feel I've ingested something I probably shouldn't have....as if someone has sprayed toilet freshener into my mouth when I wasn't looking...

It would be a good thirst slaker, having no cloying body (except for that lingering, perfume feeling).
It would appeal to the "younger" drinker more inclined towards RTDs (some of which, funnily enough, also taste like toilet freshener).
It would also appeal to those who drink Corona and lime wedges. In fact, Radler is far more interesting than that abomination.

I personally do not like it, but I will judge it on what it's attempting to do.

2.17/5  rDev -10%

Pours a golden colour, with medium white head that sinks steadily, and quite dense. Bead is strong, moderate speed and kind of cool. Lace is minimal, quite thin but seems sticky. Fairly good for what it be.

Nose is tangy, with an artificial citrus character, fairly lemon-sherbet-esque, with none of the bitter rind kind of aroma you get from citric hops, just very sweet with a slight bit of zest. Delivers what it promises, I guess, but I feel the 'lemon and/or lime' character can be better delivered and smell less like corn syrup.

Taste is quite zesty and sweet again. Flavours of lemon and lime as you imagine them in candy form. Does take a slightly sour turn towards the mid - more like actual citrus flavour, but this is sadly overtaken by a bit of a yeasty character, slightly doughy and a bit stale. Finish is very dry, with a slight vinous character like a rosé or similarly sugar-coated faux-wine travesty.

Feel does have a nice sharp tingle from the bubbles, makes it refreshing but also adds to the soft drink effect of this.

As it goes, it's probably one of the better Radler beers, but that's like saying you're one of the gentler Nazis. Would I be so proud and protective of this brew that I'd try and trademark the word "Radler"? Of course not. I mean, seriously, get over yourselves, DB.

1.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Had this at the BEERTOPIA.

Looked like pale apple cider. Had a lime smell to it.

Right off the bat I sensed crapness. The taste of lime fused with the weak beer. Yup tastes as good as it sounds. The guy behind the bar said that it was for the new "hip" clubber. They can keep it. Awfull, awfull.

2.88/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Crisp golden yellow colour when poured very limited head that quickly fades.

S - Instant lime zest aromas covers all else

T - Citrus fruits with a hint of malt and ginger.

Great ber on a hot summers day when you want something simple and refreshing.

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

1.93/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle says : An easy drinking beer with light hoppy notes and a hint of natural lemon juice. Poured a light clear yellow. It smelled like Sprite soda, artificial lemon and light faint hops. It tasted like Sprite soda with the tiniest touch of hops. It was nasty. The last thing I ever want a beer to taste like is soda. It reminded me of a Zima or something to that effect.

1.88/5  rDev -22%

Had this at a pub in New Plymouth. One of the guys I was with suggested we go down the tap line and sample all they had... we did. I kept having a nagging feeling I knew what a Radler was. After we got this round, it all came back to me. My wife's friend was drinking Radlers in Germany when we visited in 2006. I remembered that I did not like them.
The beer was a bright and clear golden amber with a rapid fading white head. In fact, if I wouldn't have watched the beer being poured, I'd have never seen the head.
The aroma was more like Ginger Ale as one of my buddies put it. Bright lemon, no beer.
The flavor follows the nose.
The body was thin and bubbly. I could see this as a gateway or a summer quencher, just not for me...
This "beer" made it to my no repeat list. Not my cup of tea.

1.53/5  rDev -36.5%

i could quite easily sum this all up in one word....no.
however,in endevoring to keep with BA standards, i shall pass comment on the beer.

i actually dont know it i should call it beer. it was more like lime cordial with something kinda malty in there. it looked limp, smelled like, you guessed it, lime! and i dont think i need to tell you what it tasted like. it was weak weak weak. cept for the infernal lime. and i dont know what hops they used but when you get the end of the beer, it just tastes sweet and cloying.

i wouldnt even call this a chicks beer. i wouldnt even call this a beer. its a wart on the butt of brewing this one. a major disappointment from a brewer i normally have a lot of respect for.

3.25/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle with a simple but stylish label.

Appearance: a crisp, clean yellow colour with spritzy carbonation. A small frothing head dissipates quickly. Looks like a decent cider.

Aroma: quite a bit of citrus on the nose - lemon and lime predominantly. Not all that much more, but it smells plenty refreshing.

Taste: a very refreshing lemon-and-lime with some very light malts behind. This would only suit a hot day, particularly after some yard work or whatever.

Aftertaste: the taste drops away pretty quickly, a slight astringency lingers.

Mouth feel: lighter in body with aa high carbonation. Very refreshing.

Overall: a nice, refreshing beer after a jog or on a very hot day. Not terribly sessional though - one or two in a session max. The price is reasonable though, at AU$55 a case (2014).

3.55/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think this beer sets out what it states it is going to do.
Give you a beer with a lime /lemon /citrus character.
THe lime predominates smell and flavour , and blends reasonably well with the mildly hopped beer.
Whilst there seems to be little carbonation in the glass the mouthfeel is well carbonated , which combines with the citrus characters to deliver a stimulating mouthfeel.
Nw , would you like to drink a lot of this ?. I wouldn't , however it has appeal as a beer to go with a salad for a summer lunch.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Monteith's Radler from Monteith's Brewing Co.