Holsten Premium - Hanseatische Getränke-Industrie (HGI) Holsten-Brauerei AG

awful

Hanseatische Getränke-Industrie (HGI) Holsten-Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Holsten Premium Alström Bros

ryan32, Feb 18, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -60.5%

These are very dark times for me indeed, as I find myself quickly running out of beers at the LCBO (the government monopoly that sells beer in Ontario) to try. And so it is that I find myself picking over the canned eurolager section. God help me.

Pours a pale urine color with a white head that dies down leaving the whole thing completely lackluster.

The aroma is grainy, corn, light noble hops.

The taste is weak and watery, grainy, corny, and downright soapy. Metallic bitterness lingers in the finish.

Very thin, light mouthfeel -- could do with a tad more carbonation.

This is so not a good beer. It's amazing how many beers tack the word "premium" on to the name when what they really mean is fucking horrible.

Incidentally, the can has the following url printed on it: www.holsten.ca Which doesn't exist. Near as I can google, it never did.

Yeah. I'm done here.

MeisterBurger, Dec 30, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -57%

pipinmalikonj, Nov 21, 2013
1.73/5  rDev -40.5%

A terrible beer, common to those german "export" beers. Pours a very, very intense golden tone with a lot of carbonation, looking quite like a soda. The smell, very metallic and citrusy is absolutely unappealing and rather disturbingly close to something like heineken (or worse). The taste, perfectly terrible, is very bitter and metallic, again, like licking some iron rod or something. This also gives a repelling mouthfeel and thus lowers the drinkability, because who'd ever want it?

Andreji, Jul 06, 2003
1.73/5  rDev -40.5%

Had a sample of this at the distributors that carries it.. Pours a golden colour with a stark white head.. Smell is a little of hops, but more medicinal and chemical than anything. Taste is just blah.. Nothing special, a bit of sweet malt and hops and more medicinal flavour.. Mouthfeel. Highly carbonated and prickly on the tongue. The worst thing is the after taste.. I could taste this beer for 10 minutes after words and it was not pleasent.. It took almost an entire SNPA to get rid of the taste .. I am not even sure if the beer is still brewed in Germany. I think I heard that it might be brewed in England. Overall this is the worst German bier I have had. Becks seems like nectar compared to this..

TinusTime, Apr 10, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -33.7%

500ml can
5.0% ABV

I tried this beer on January 4, 2007 after purchasing from the LCBO. The beer poured a translucent metallic gold colour with a generous white head. The aroma was slightly metallic as well, with a little malt character. The mouthfeel was watery with some carbonation. The taste was very grassy. Too grassy for my liking.

cyrenaica, May 12, 2008

Appearance: Pale yellow, reminiscent of American Macros. Head is small, fades quickly to almost nothing.

Smell: Stale grassy malt, old yeast. Below average.

Taste: Watered down euro lager, with adjunct and off flavors abounding. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel.: OK< but leaves a metallic flavored coating in your mouth on the way down.

Drinkability: Pass on this, there are many other domestic beers that are cheaper and better than htis mess.

TastyTaste, Sep 23, 2005

starlight37, Jan 24, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -30.2%

The colour is pale straw yellow; the large airy head sinks quickly down to a white lid with some lacing.

The smell is quite… unexciting: Some sour malt and chemical bitterness with a touch of chalk and wet cardboard. Below the average pale euro lager.

The taste is sweeter than expected with a malty, unusual note of milk chocolate, earth and metal. The aftertaste got some anonymous artificial bitterness and mineral notes.

The carbonation is quite low with small bubbles. It would have been fine for an ale but not for a lager.

On the whole an dull and unbalanced experience, I wonder what’s so “Premium” about it? And why am I wasting my time drinking this crap?

bark, Apr 27, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -28.5%

500 mL can purchased from the Niagara Falls LCBO.

Minimal white lacing, some stickage here and there. Pale golden yellow color, shiny clarity. Horse feed aroma, faint but its there. Crisp and light bodied. Bitter and a little astringent. Rough grain from start to finish, bitter hopping does not help at all. Finishes bone dry.

German Purity Law What? This beer gives German beer a bad rap, not recommended.

Jason, May 21, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Just another german pils, fresh crisp, boring and easy to drink, at least the germans have schwarbiers and wheats to be proud of.

rastaman, Apr 05, 2002
2.2/5  rDev -24.4%

CAN you dig it? I am on a CAN mission. Scope them reviews, should ye doubt.

I got a nice, rocky, finger's worth of bone-white head off of my pour. The color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was sharp with alcohol. 5.0% and it was that sharp?!? Wow! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but I got a really unusual taste on the tongue, like must, or some other flavor denoting age. The bottom of the CAN seemed to indicate freshness until January 2009. Oof. Finish was slightly sweet, but with a flavor that I simply cannot quantify. Not good.

woodychandler, Aug 04, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

Didn't realize I'd already reviewed this. Oh well, why not give it another go anyways.

Bright pale gold in colour. A large, fizzy head only sticks around for a few seconds and doesn't lace. Faint grainy aroma. Grainy and slightly sweet with a faint lemony flavour. Faint bittering hop finish. Lacking in character. Did I already say faint? Light bodied. At least it isn't overcarbonated. Even if it's cold and refreshing, there's still better lawnmower beer than this.

---

D+ / 2.3
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | drink: 2
rDev: -31.7%

Fizzy pale straw body with 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head the recedes fairly rapidly. Some lace is left behind.

Faint malt and hop aromas. Bread? I just can't pick anything out of this.

Faint grain and skunk flavours. I don't know how, considering this is from a can. Low bitterness, yet that mild bitterness is the most perceptible thing about it. There's an unpleasant mustiness to it. It's extremely bland.

Light bodied, spritzy carbonation. Thin. Watery. Cold. Wet. Boring. And that strange musty taste.

Avoid.

mintjellie, Aug 02, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

cam477, Sep 29, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -21%

A very very pale beer, quite pale I didnt know it was my urine test bled with water! A tiny shy head that dissapeared quicky. Smell fruity, nothing much, reminded me of macro. A tiny hoppish side nothing particular, nothing to brag about, no character, short and dry.

3Vandoo, Dec 24, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -19.2%

And to think I really used to like this beer... Got this can at the nearby Supermercado Carrefour here in Recoleta, Buenos Aires a few days ago. Pourd a white head, no lace. Pale gold color. Light pils aroma with a hint of hops. Flavor's about the same. Bitterness stands out. But the body's fairly thin. At least it's an all malt beer. Finish is ok, but forgettable. Just not a lot here.

drpimento, Mar 28, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 330ml (11,2 fl.oz.) green bottle. 5.0%ABV Ingredients (label): water, malt, hops

Appearance: Very pale, almost clear. Some rural towns got more color with their sulfuric drinking water issue.

Smell: Awful. It is skunky.

Taste: Skunky pilsner and some bitterness. My note (2.5) is because I want to be somewhat positive on this one.

Mouthfeel: Sparking bubbles with creamy smoothness.

Drinkability: Next time, I will skip my turn on this one. I admit that I am not a big fan of pilsner, but this one is just too skunky and tasting not too good.

Barraclou, Mar 15, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Poured with a small, white head that very quickly dissipated to a thin film floating on top of the beer. Body is bright yellow and completely clear.

S: Meh. Cooked corn and some skunkiness. Gross.

T: Not much better. I'm getting the cooked corn again... and not much else.

M: Light-bodied with a thin texture, and average carbonation.

D: Oh, I wasted a beer choice on this? Why did I listen to my brother on this one? An insult to German beers, really.

berley31, Oct 22, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 500 mL can into a lager pint glass...

I was hesitant to try any other Holsten products after being quite unimpressed with their Festbock, but many months later I decided to give something else of theirs a go. I figured their pils would be a safer bet. Was I safe? Yes and no.

Pours a golden straw colour, with a small white foamy head which dissipates to a small ring quickly. Little to no lacing. Medium carbonation.

Nose is typical pils notes. The usual floral hops are present, but not as present as I would've expected. Grainy, earthy malts are also noted.

The taste is..intriguing. While the floral hop flavour you'd expect from this style are present, it takes a back seat to soft, bready malts on the front with a nice yeasty/carbonation finish. Medium mouthfeel.

I've never quite had a German pils like this one. Not great, not terrible.

aletale, Aug 15, 2011