Alvinne Oak Aged Kerasus - Picobrouwerij Alvinne

Alvinne Oak Aged Kerasus
No picture uploaded.

Picobrouwerij Alvinne visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mdfb79 on 06-12-2010)
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

I had this on-tap at Max's Belgian Beer Fest, the menu said it was 2008 version.

Appearance: Pours cloudy red amber with hardly any head at all.

Smell: Initially I smell raspberries and then some mild vinegar sourness and a very mild sweetness from the fruit.

Taste: My first thought it that this beer seems a little bit watery. There is some mildly sweet raspberry and some vinegar and lemon sourness. I'm also picking up the oak at the end.

Mouthfeel: This one has a medium body and it is super dry from the oak. The carbonation is mild, but it seems to fit well.

Drinkability: The taste is pretty good but overall I think this beer is a bit water. I'm glad that I got to try it, but I don't know that I'm going to look for it again.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Sampled July 2010
A solid pour into my Cantillon tulip produces a pink tinged, tan colored head that is one-finger thick. The beer has a concentrated red body to it that is fairly hazed and shows a bright, maraschino cherry color to it when held up to the light. The aroma smells of sour cherries, graham crackers, red wine berry like notes, some light spicy wood character as well as earthy wood notes and a touch of phenolic / plastic notes towards the finish.

The beer tastes sour as it first hits my palate, though it is not as sour as a Lambic. The beer is very dry and very light bodied. The flavor finishes with a spicy oak character and a bit of tannic astringency to it. Light cherry flavors are noticeable, though not as much as was found in the aroma, and this is accentuated by some tartness and floral character. Quite refreshing due to the light body, this might even have been a bit too watery if not for the tannic oak structure. The red wine character plays a definite role here with the wine like berry notes, an oak character that is very reminiscent of a red wine; it is very evocative of a red wine, even if it is a very small / faint one.

This is quite nice, even if it is a touch on the thin side. Definitely let this beer warm up, the wine character becomes much more apparent as it does and really makes this quite nice; there is even a touch fo funkiness that starts to come out (slightly cheesy and a bit musty). This was a nice surprise!

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Had from a bottle this time on 08/26/10 at a local DC tasting. I had essentially the same notes as when I had it on tap, and rated it a 3.8 the second time around without looking at my previous notes. Lots of oak, tart cherries, and some sweet dark fruity malts in the smell as well. Was similiar to when I had it on tap, and I would have it again.

Alvinne Oak Aged Kerasus from Picobrouwerij Alvinne
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.