Wild West - Picobrouwerij Alvinne

Wild WestWild West

Picobrouwerij Alvinne visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.00% ABV

Golden blond ale brewed with our own hops and fermented with our Morpheus house yeast. Aged in wooden Bordeaux red wine barrels for eight months.

(Beer added by: DARIVA on 04-09-2012)
3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

jmdrpi, Aug 09, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

MaseFace, Aug 06, 2014
3.14/5  rDev -20.3%

500 mL bottle. crown indicates "WWE APR 2019 Lot: 687". I think. I assume I could have set this down a while...

opens as a bit of a gusher. I can see the yeast coming from this bottle, which is a bit disappointing as they could of had a better grasp of their conditioning levels. ah, the show shall go on though!

A: pours very, very hazy. a brownish, orange hue. the small glass I am using lets me try again in about 20 minutes. same result. also I should note that this bottle has been vertically standing in my fridge for the last several weeks. minimal head and lacing.

S: sulfur is the first aroma I get and a lot of it. after getting past the sulfur, which takes some concentration, a nice aroma of barny funk and light acidity greats.

T: sulfur follows to the drink, but then the acidity starts to kick in with a little more balls. barny yes, but not too heavy on it. more puckering acidic flavor balanced by some woody oak notes. finish dries up, but not bone dry as I detect a minor residual sweetness. There is some Cowtail (the candy)-like flavors in the middle that I cannot quite put my finger on. interesting to say the least.

M: pretty vibrant carb on a medium bodied brew.

D: needs some cleaning up in the packaging and sulfur component, which was WAYYY to high for a brew like this IMO. I sampled this in the store I purchased it at and liked it a lot more then, however I also didn't get this sulfur nonsense then. also also, the bottle the sir opened did not spew on my table.

Jimmys, Jul 22, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

jayluf, Jul 14, 2014

DrBier, Jul 13, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

PEIhop, Jul 13, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy beige head that fades to nothing. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour with malt, fruit, funk, and earth aromas. Taste is much the same with sour malt, fruit, and acidic flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has an odd quality in the smell that I can't put my finger on.

UCLABrewN84, Jul 05, 2014

Travis7009, Apr 20, 2014

Dactrius, Apr 16, 2014
3.69/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle split with Hab11

A: Wow. What a perfect appearance. Poured into my Night Shift tulip a deep blood orange color. I know that it was aged in Bordeaux barrels but I wasn't expecting such a rich color from a blond ale. Deep ruby, blood orange color.

S: Tart. Not overwhelmingly so though. Aromas of raspberries and sour cherries up front. Again, not overpowering. Nice lactic smell, not acetic. Hints of wood are there in the background. Nice oak presence to round out the fruity lead.

T: Right out of the gate my saliva glands went crazy. My mouth was full of saliva but surprisingly this beer isn't overpoweringly sour. Nice amount of sour character here. Good vinous taste from the Bordeaux but not getting much oakiness. This is quite an interesting beer here. Good mix of lactic acid, red fruits like raspberries, sour cherries and red grapes. Very drinkable. Not too sour but it's definitely well represented.

M: This is a tricky one. Little to no carbonation, no head. Not sure how to handle the mouth. I don't have any specific complaints about the mouth but it's nothing special either. It's simply okay.

Overall: I like this beer. I've had several offerings from Alvinne and this would have to be the most balanced of them all. Their sours are generally aggressive but this is just the right amount. It's there but in a good moderation. Superb appearance, really nice smell, great taste and an okay mouth. Glad I picked this one up. I'd had it years ago and was hoping my palate hadn't changed too much. Will purchase again for sure.

ThreeLions, Apr 12, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Reviewed with Three Lions
500 ml bottle.
Appearance: Not to disturb anyone but almost the color of fresh blood when poured Settling to a dark caramel color. Lots of suspended yeast floating in the glass.
Smell: as soon as the bottle is opened the sourness hits you. Closer inspection reveals lemon, tart fruit cherry, Rasberry maybe a bit of blackberry and a definite strong lactic quality. Interesting though that with all the yeast in the glass the yeasty smell really isn't there. Also a real nice oak smell as well.
Taste: Super Freak has a cousin Tart and it's this beer. The taste is a mix between a Tart Golden Apple and interestingly a Chardonnay type finish (especially since this is aged in Bordeaux)
Mouthfeel: very smooth like a good Merlot but more dry like a Chardonnay. The tartness awakens the saliva glands quickly. Has almost a pickled salty quality to it.
Overall this beer is a great representation of the style. Not sure this would be a regular in my rotation but like some women I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers. This would be a nice treat once in awhile.

Hab11, Apr 12, 2014