Class Of '88 Belgian Style Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: Melman on 01-02-2014

Michigan Riesling and Oregon Pinot Noir grapes age with whole flower Mt. Hood hops and pilsner malt in Muscat casks. The fruit aroma unites with Belgian yeast esters and oak for a crisp, dry, and slightly tart flavor.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 119 | Reviews: 19

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I am drinking this beer with tostadas that are coveted in Chipotle Cholua. I would give the tostadas a 3.75, they're something I wouldn't break out on a special occasion, but for an everyday, sessionable mexican dish, they'll do. This beer has a serious wine taste. The Pinot grapes are hyper present, like the feeling of loss or an overbearing mother. My day was pretty good so I don't feel guilty drinking this. There is light foam and little carbonation on this one.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer follows what I seek in beer. Flavor comes first and innovation second. When I pay $17 for a beer Its because I want something that is entirely different from what I can get for $2. This beer gave me a full complex flavor that hit every part of my palate and did not skimp on the nose either. Boo to critics, stick to your IPAs and Ris's.

4.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best after 12/16/14; couldn't wait

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of pearl white head. Stays effervescent, perfect lacing & head retention

S: Pineapple, tartness, sourness. pears & jammyness, plus sourness

T: Slight sourness, pears, red grapes, a touch of Chardonay & then pineapple & pink grapefruit up front. I catch some of that Muscat sweetness as this warms, pears, dryness & pleasing tartness & leafy hops. Finishes super dry, a touch of concord grape & finally a little booze
warmth

MF: Medium body & crisp carbonation, terrific balance, warming at a point or two, never hot

I need to go buy a bottle or 2 & age this; terrific now, would love to see where this goes. So damn drinkable for the ABV. Didn't expect to love it so much & if I had known I would have bought way more!

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Forget where I picked this one up, but it is at all the usual haunts now. Pours with a short lasting white head... only spotty lacing.. the brew is fairly clear .. looks like apple juice.

Nose is pretty much overwhelmingly sweet phenolic/estery/oaky wine barrels.. No other way to describe it. Tons of barrel essence with plenty of pale maltiness that is punctuated by a light clove presence and huge overripe apples and pears.

I thought this was going to be waaay sweeter judging by the aroma, glad it isn't. Flavor has a pretty pronounced oaky presence.. the wine barrel essence leans toward a tartness that helps round out the maltiness and fruity yeasty esters. This is pretty interesting.. Not sure I will drink too many of them because I am not a big wine guy, but this is well done.

Light/medium body with a big mildly abrasive carbonation.... Sorta tannic/wine burps.

I am not a big fan of wine barrel aged beers in general, but I see the pieces of something special here... I am interested in trying the Goose Island take on it.

3.5's across the board.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium coppery amber with a fine one finger white head with good retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of white wine, apple juice, bready malt, mild port notes. Flavor is also dominated by dry white wine, with white and red grape notes, light oak barrel, subtle bready malt and Belgian yeast that are almost completely dominated by the vinous character, vinous finish with light grassy hops. Medium bodied with nice peppery carbonation. An interesting Belgian inspired ale that clearly shows the influence of the wine barrel aging. I drink wine rarely, much preferring the taste of beer and this one reminds me that my tastes haven't changed. Quite interesting and well made and nicely blended white wine and ale flavors, but I probably wouldn't have this again; simply not my style. This was an interesting series and I'm glad I had a chance to sample all of them.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Class Of '88 Belgian Style Ale from Deschutes Brewery