1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Twilight Summer Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: June to September
Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 35

162 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: Jason on 06-16-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Twilight Summer Ale Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%

3.56/5  rDev -3%

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -6.3%

Twilight. I didn't want to buy a six pack because I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it. So lo and behold, I've found a single. Hy Vee in Sioux Falls, SD.

Appearance (3.75) : Off white head about two fingers. The body is an orangish yellow color, reminds me of orange Dimetapp for some reason. Head leaves intricate webs of lace around the glass.

Aroma (3.5) : Pale ale aroma with hints of lemon and orange. The woody grapefruit note is strong from the hops. I wasn't expecting this to be a pale ale per se, but I can understand now where I was wrong..."ale" means pale ale in most circles nowadays. Bouquet is strong.

Taste (3.5) : Orange rind and grapefruit rind. A little while later some orange and grapefruit flesh. The aftertaste is somewhat yeasty, which I like. Some lemon in there, too. The Amarillo hops are pretty strong in this brew. Again, was not expecting a pale.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, carbonated, malty.

Overall (3.44) : I wasn't expecting a pale ale when I bought this or even popped the cap. For that reason I'm lowering the overall score a bit. I guess I was expecting an ale with fruit, or maybe something shandy-like. For that reason I am somewhat let down. I have to get past that, however and rate it as a pale ale. In that regard it is pretty good. Not quite as good as Mirror Pond, but a fair shake is owed to Twilight Summer Ale.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, biscuits. Taste is citrus, floral hops, malts kicking in at the finish, very high drinkability. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall makes a fine session beer.

Twilight Summer Ale from Deschutes Brewery