Twilight Summer Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: June to September
Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 35

162 calories per 12 oz serving
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,286 | Reviews: 426

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

4.78/5  rDev +30.6%

Springy look and taste. Can't stop picking up a 6 pack. I would rate this a little higher than Deschutes' Mirror Pond although they are very similar. It has a light coppery color with citrus and floral overtones. Fills the senses with its hoppy zing but not overly done.

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by date 11/04/09. Deschutes was bottling this when I toured the brewery last week and possibly, in a moment of cosmic perfection, this was being bottled while I watched. You never know, for twilight is a magical time. Single purchased at local health food store for $1.29.

A-Pours an amber-orange with two finger, off-white head with average retention and nice, even lacing.

S-Wow. Very fragrant, bold, piney, and citrusy Cascade and Amarillo hops. This is the most fragrant APA I have ever had. Very appealing.

T-Fortunately, the taste follows the smell. This is a full flavored light ale. Very nice blend of bitterness and tropical fruit notes with a balanced malt presence. Yummy.

M-Exceedingly smooth. Virtually perfect carbonation. Freshness no doubt helps.

D-This is amazingly drinkable. I first discovered this while at my favorite B&B (Cricketwood.com in Bend) last summer where it was stocked in the guest fridge. I drank one after another and fell in love with it.

I am probably going to have my largest rDev with this one. So be it. I love this beer. This is my favorite summer seasonal and my favorite APA. This is head and shoulders above Deschutes' popular Mirror Pond Ale. My only criticism is that it is not available year round. Deschutes hit a home run with this. I would love them to brew a version of this in their Reserve Series.

4.57/5  rDev +24.9%

Lightly hazed straw color with a decent white head and nice active carbonation. Nice light citrus hop aroma. Very nice citrus hop and grainy malt balance with some nice overall fruit character. Light bodied and very refreshing with a nice lightly bitter finish.

Grabbed as a random 6-pack at a drug store the morning I had to leave POrtland ... glad I got it and could see myself drinking this all summer if I were in the NW.

Per label: "Since 1988" & "Seasonal Ale" & "4 Hops & Malts"

Per DB website:
Blend of four hops. Dry hopped with Amarillo hops.
162 calories per 12 oz serving.
IBUs: 35
Alcohol Content: 5.0%

Gold - Bitter Category - 2003 GABF

Best By: 09/21/06
Tasted: 06/28/06

($5.99 / 6-pack)

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

Reviewed from notes-- and I am officially caught up on all my notes! Got this from Twiggamortis420 in the Chillin and Grillin BIF. Thanks Greg!

Pours a deep orangey gold color. Looks rich and pleasant. Slightly hazy -- perhaps a chill haze. An almost white head left thick rings of lace as it slowly settled.

Smell is awesome citrus-- fresh hoppy notes and lemon peels, orange blossoms, and even a touch of honey.

Taste has got some sweet malts with a touch of fresh honey and a great refreshing citrus character with the hoppiness there. This isn't very bitter at all--- almost an APA for the masses. The hops seem to be all flavoring hops not bittering ones. It keeps the beer refreshing and drinkable.

The body is a hair under medium, but totally working. This is an excellent beer-- much better than the B rating. I would drink this one all day. Is this the best pale ale I've ever had-- no, I prefer the hops a little more assertive. But this beer works EXCEPTIONALLY well as a summer ale because the hops are more subtle and gentle.

This is the best "summer ale" I've ever had, and yes, I know it isn't an official category-- but this beer is perfect for what it aims to be.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Smooth and solid, an easy drinking pale ale taste

4.5/5  rDev +23%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Twilight Summer Ale from Deschutes Brewery