Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Pond Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 898 | Hads: 3,295
1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

There was a lot of hype when this came to Wisconsin. Not sure if we got a bad batch, but the beer was terrible. Almost zero hop presence and a very thin mouth feel. (166 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -39.2%

On-tap somewhere in Fashion Island at Newport Beach. First tango with Deschutes. Served in a pint glass on November 4th, 2011.

A - Deep golden/amber coloring with a light cream-colored head. Fluffy, though average, lacing and retention.

S - Eh, a bit muted. Light citrus notes and pine.

T - Better but not by much. Initial hop bite shifts into grapefruit tartness. Middle notes include slight malt presence and fruit sweetness. Bitter finish with (oddly) some alcohol warming in the back of the throat.

M - Medium body, not too smooth, quite carbonated, almost excessively so.

D - Finding more eloquent descriptions for a relatively bland pale ale is pretty difficult. A disappointment. Oh well. (703 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -36.9%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/20/11
*From notes

-- Bottle purchased on 9/20 at Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquor --

A: Decent amber in color. A generous pour yields a one finger head that fades quickly. Zero lacing.

S: Stale. Really stale. The hops here smell like they've been covered in moth balls and tossed in the attic to be forgotten. Egh.

T: Diacytal all over this thing. Buttery weirdness, weak malt and decrepit hops make for an unpleasant drinking experience.

M: Though it may not taste and smell like a winner, it sure feels like one. Nice carbonation and texture here.

O: This bottle of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale is most certainly past it's prime. At least that's what I'm telling myself, as a brewery like Deschutes wouldn't knowingly produce something this dissapointing.

Or would they? (824 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

Enjoyed on-tap @ Cadillac Bar & Grill in Jackson, WY for $4.50. Tapped from the Wooden Handle w/ Deschutes down the throat of it & a "mirror pond" with mountains above it into a 16oz Pint Glass.

Aroma- Has a good amount of hop in the aroma but mostly a variety from the UK and lighter... Nothing else comes up.

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head but dies quickly. Has a copper colored body and clear. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Corn and slight malts come up in the taste too quickly... Hops were not a first impression. Where are they? Barely a light bitterness level here.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and finishes sweet but brutal.

Overall Impression- This Mirror Pond in front of me HAS to be due to an old/over due keg or line problems... I will be reviewing the bottle I picked up from Lukas Liquor soon. I surely cannot recommend this beer from what I had to sit through with this version. An English Pale Ale at best... (980 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

Once again I will say, I am not a pale ale fan. I don't know what I don't like about them, but for some reason I don't like the flavors of them.

A - It is a nice amber color, has an average size head that lasts a medium amount of time. The color is very pretty

S - It has a slightly sweet smell, nothing special, but pretty good.

T - It is sort of sweet, but has a strong bite at the end. The bite is strong enough that my girlfriend told me that I was making faces. I am a bit of a wimp for alcohol flavor, and I felt like I could taste some of the alcohol.

M/D - This beer is a little bit watery. The beer made me flinch a bit, so I'd say not very good. I give all Deschutes beers some credits because the beers taste so natural and pure.

Bottom Line: I am a HUGE fan of Deschutes. I give them the benefit of the doubt whenever I am selecting beers, but this one just seems to have missed the mark. I prefer the Red Chair NWPA to Mirror Pond. (953 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Best by 4/18/14. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden orange with nice clarity; fluffy white head that slowly fades leaving great lacing and retention. The aromas are pretty faint. Lots of bread, malts, and grains. Lots of caramel. Not much of a fruity hop presence. The flavors aren't exactly exciting, but they're clean and refreshing. Tons of caramel. Very bready. Lots of grainy and earthy characteristics going on. The hop flavor and hop bitterness feels non-existent. Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation. It's obviously and easy drinking beer.

This isn't really an exciting pale ale. It personally reminds me more of an Irish red ale. This is ultimately boring and forgettable. This is my first experience with Deschutes so I guess this isn't the best first impression, but it's all good because there are more goodies from them for me to try out. (879 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler. It has a hazy appearance and light amber color. The head was thin, white and did not and lace the glass much at all.

The beer smells hoppy. It is not particularly fragrant in the glass.

The taste is a little bitter, with a decided hop flavor and bitter citrus like grapefruit. The after taste lingers and is also bitter.

It has a nice mouth feel, and tasting is when you have the best opportunity to smell the beer.

I liked this beer, but I think it’s a little bitter for my taste. I wouldn’t want to drink much of it, but it’s a nice occasional change of pace. (619 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31%

Pours a nice slightly hazy copper color with a thin white head. Little to no lacing.
The smell was grape or raisn like. Nothing to strong kinda bland and that was after about 15 tries to detect some charcter to it.
The taste as I was affraid was much like the smell. Seemed rather bland. There was a slight sweetness to it but not much else. A bit dissapointed since Im a big fan of many of their other beers. (413 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tried this beer a few months ago from the bottle and was not impressed. Decided I should try again from tap before reviewing, so here goes:

A- Copper with nice 1-1.5 finger head. Hazy. Solid retention and lacing. Nice looking APA

S- Not much to note hear. Very subdued aroma. Some pine hop and pale malts detected, but not what you would expect from a NW brewery for this style.

T- Off flavors throughout. Bitter and astringent, but not the type of astringency that is common with many APAs and IPAs. The best way I can describe it is wet cardboard. Aftertaste lingers, and not in a good way.

M- Fair drinkability. Mid body. Maybe a little under carbonated. Having a tough time looking past the flavor though.

O- Well, can't say I didn't give it a fair chance. This one just doesn't come together for me. Bitter off notes along with a weak malt body and harsh astringency leaves me unimpressed again. Will not try for a 3rd time. (935 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.5%

This beer pours a nice white head that lasted throughout the session. I really dig the golden hue on this beer. The aromoa of the beer is very earthy and floral with suggestion of citrus. However the taste is so different that it betrays the aroma. The flavor is very bland with an overpowering cascade hop flavor--however this beer is has a less sour aftertaste than most cascade hop beers.The body is fuller than I expected and made up a little for the mild flavor.

Due to the mildness I consider this is more of a ladies beer--my girlfriend really likes it. However it is not so bland that I couldn't knock down a few of these and enjoy it. (646 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -28.2%

We conducted a blind taste test between this beer and 4 other popular American Pale Ales: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Firestone Double Barrel Ale, and Boulder Hazed & Infused.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/DHis2L_OBdg (257 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26%

L: gold; slight copper with a medium head.
S: Malty, with a faint yeasty smell.
T: Good balance between malts and hops, but I am overwhelmed by a sour yeastiness. Bad tap line, or have I just lost my taste for Pale Ales? Don't think so as I have recently had others that I had no problem with.
M: Just fine - refreshing with a mild carbonation.
D: Low because of my taste, but it seems like a well put together beer. (416 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

I was looking at reviews of this earlier today and decided to go for it. Not sure why earlier posts mention great hops in this one. Just not feeling that. Maybe my six pack is bad but this is similar to budweiser. Very disappointed! Yep, AAL taste all the way. (260 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

The scent of hot asphalt coming through the AC really works my appetite.

Pint glass pour. Toasted, chill-hazed orange caramel color. Chunky off-white head. Sticky resins turn the glass ugly.

Smell kind of like what you'd think dry-hopped Tang would be like. Just a touch bready in the back.

Citrusly bitter upfront, nearly tart(& quite refreshing). A touch steel-y though. Midway through a sourdough sort of malt fills it up, dragging along whatever lingered. Aftertaste is almost salty.

Feel isn't my favorite. It's a touch gritty. The alcohol, though low, paired up with the hop oils, becomes solvent-like.

BB: 09/30/09 (627 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

Tasted on-tap 06/04/07 at a sports bar near the (closed at eh time) Tugboat Brewpub in Portland, OR.

Nice golden color with a decent off-white head and some lace. A nicely balanced malt and light hop aroma and flavor. No real defining hop characteristics that stand out. Medium-light bodied and easy drinking.

A very average APA. I wonder if this bar didn't take care of their kegs very well...

Per DB website:
Hops: Cascade
ABV: 5%
IBUs: 40 (446 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Light amber with 1 finger of creamy looking head. Moderate carbonation with excellent clarity.

N: Lemongrass, tangerine and caramelized sugar.

T: The caramel malts are very forward in this beer. The hops bill is comprised of notes of lemongrass along with dollops of grapefruit, tangerine and pineapple.

M: Medium bodied, crisp, smooth, clean and refreshing.

O: A very underwhelming APA. It's balanced and easy drinking but I would prefer the hops to be a little more forward. (510 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes to Wasatch for this beer.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a lightly cloudy bright orange with just a touch of brown. About one finger of white head fades rather quick leaving a tiny lace ring.

The aroma has a nice hoppiness to it. Moderate citrus along with sweet malt backbone. Light hints of apples and oranges.

The flavor is lightly hopped along with a dry earthy tone. A touch medicinal. Very mild malt in the finish.

Medium to light body. Mild carbonation.

Overall this beer is lacking in the flavor area. The bottle is about six months old so maybe I can find this fresh and amend my review. (623 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Big thick white foamy head. Brew is clear amber color with lots of orange and some reds. Moderate lacing.

S - Some big pineapple. Slight kiwi. Lots of apples and other citrus.

T - Very nice and light. Not aggressive. Underwhelming.

M - Decent carbonation. Average bitterness, not as much as I would like... No bite.

O - An underperforming brew. Last time I had this one, it blew me away, this time the brew/batch has let me down... COME ON DESCHUTES, don't let me down.... (482 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

As pales go, this is a very good beer. Pours clear amber with a medium white head. Malty with some hops and a nice citrus back. Consistent throughout. Clean taste. Better than a Sierra, but about the same in every category as a Firehouse with less hops. (253 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

This is one of the first craft beers I'd ever had. Based on this beer, I didn't think I was a craft beer drinker. It pours with a nice head and has a beautiful amber color. But, the malt sweetness smacks you in the face. And, the taste follows. It's just way too sweet for me.

If this APA has hops in it, I'm hard-pressed to find them. I just can't get past the malt. I know there are others who prefer the balanced English pale ale to the West Coast-sytle hop forward style, but I'm not one of them. (501 characters)

Reviewed from notes

Pours a light golden color with a half finger of head and a tad bit of lacing. The aroma is pretty light, made up mostly of bready malts and earthy hoppiness. The flavor is very crisp, but the hops are virtually non existent. This would be fine if the malt profile was a bit cleaner, but there is some mustiness that holds it back from really being an easy drinker. Bitter finish. Overall, a nice beer perhaps to have with a burger and fries but not something I would purchase again. (504 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle, best before 08/12/10.

This one actually gushed on me when i popped the cap, but it was a really slow gush and it never overflowed. It pours a nice, if standard, golden orange with a creamy white head. As it quickly recedes there is some lacing.

There is a definite grapefruit scent in this one, some bready, almost buttery malt and a bit of herbal character.

The taste is smooth, with a hint of hops and butter, bready malts, it is rather average though, a bit too buttery for my taste.

This brewery produces some liquid gold, unfortunately not this. (571 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Similar to a glass of apple juice in color. Clarity is of the highest order. Doesn't seem to have enough body to it, and it seems as though it should be very thin. Head was a nice white and certainly up to pale ale standards, but once again nothing holds together very well.

Smell - Pale malt shines through with a hint of apple skin. Seems as though there's a bit of a sweetness to it as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - A very average pale ale, and much to thin for my taste. Almost watery in a way. A very solid pale malt backbone wins the day here, and I don't taste very much hops at all. I do taste the apple more than any other fruits. Feel is very thin with little carbonation.

Drinkability - Sierra Nevada curb stomps the crap outa this beer. It is highly poundable due to it's light body. If you lived in Oregon a sixer would make for a nice session beer at a gathering. (889 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

The label talks about a generous helping of cascade hops but I think this beer lacks a bit. Not much of an aroma upon pouring and there seems to be a very subtle sweetness that distracts from what hoppiness there is. Kicks up a frothy head that makes you think there might be something to this beer but in the end it doesn't deliver. (333 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours dark golden amber with a small white head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. Aroma is light floral hops as well as some sugar cookie. Not terribly complex, but enjoyable. Taste is very similar to the nose. Some sugar cookies as well as some floral hops. Clean finish with a light bitterness. Light body. Medium carbonation. (358 characters)

Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery