Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Pond Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

I got this beer from a BIF. I was happy to open a beer from my past. Deschutes was one of the earliest brands I drank even before I turned 21 while living in Oregon.

I poured this beer in a fat tulip glass. I got about two fingers of foam with some pretty decent lacing. Off the top I get a little bit of citrus in the nose. The bouquet on this beer is very understated... just a simple presence.

The body had a decent amount of english malt and hopping. This reminds me more of an english pale. This is an easy drinker. It is a pretty good offering.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Fairly Hazy Orange/Amber Color. Head pours in around 1 finger width head with some good lacing along the sides. Fairly abundant amount of carbonation going on inside.

Smell - Floral Hops, Yeasts, Citrus and Barley. Fairly sweet smelling Pale Ale and quite enjoyable.

Taste - Floral Hops, Resin, Citrus Notes and Yeast/Biscuits

Mouthfeel - Light and fairly crisp, thanks to the moderate carbonation

Overall - This is a Pale Ale which is fairly simple in it's flavor but it's very good. I've had this on tap before and it's one of the few beers that I can trust will deliver in terms of taste.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! About 6 oz. poured into a beer mug.

A: Pours a dark amber color with some yeast haziness. The head is a one finger offwhite color with nice retention. Very nice retention, actually.

S: Seriously fruity - quite different from the caramel malt/Cascade hopped pale ale I'm used to. Figs, grapes, apples, and currants are the dominant aromatic notes. Not much hoppiness, but it is an older bottle.

T: Not very hoppy, but the vaguely tart fruit notes help compensate. There is a *very* slight ping of tropical, citrusy hops on the finish, though. Very pleasant - it's nice to have something nuanced and subtle after downing Double Bastard.

M: The overall texture/finish is neutral, not erring too far in any direction, but there is a touch of finishing dryness I find pleasing. The feel is wonderfully balanced.

O: My first Deschutes offering, and while I wasn't blown away, this is a good offering that's different from the typical pale ale. I'd love to try a fresher bottle, and I'd doubly love it if Deschutes distributed to Maryland. A great "pair with food" pale ale.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served from a 12oz bottle (best by 1/9/13) into a glass.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale is a classic brew from Deschutes Brewery, one of the staple breweries in Oregon. This beer is everywhere in Oregon. It's one that I've enjoyed many times throughout the years, but I've never taken the time to review it.

A> A good looking pale ale. A little darker than most, taking on a rusty brown appearance. This brew pours with a 1 finger head that reduced mostly down but had a small bit of retention, leaving a little lacing down the glass.

S> Not a huge aroma, but I get a lot of caramel from the malt and a bit of pine in the background. It's got a good aroma, but nothing special.

T> This is a great tasting beer. Personally, I think it's pretty bold for a pale ale. It's got a great malt backbone that greets your taste buds. Slightly sweet, a nice complex/roasted caramel. The hops are assertive without being overly aggressive. The hops are very piney with a hint of citrus/grapefruit. There's a nice toasty/sweet finish that comes back into the palate after the hops subside.

M> Great feel, great carbonation, great drinkability. Not too watery, not too thick. This beer is in a unique category that is quite complex but also smooth enough to be a session beer. Kudos to Deschutes on the feel of this brew.

O> An awesome beer and a great example of what Oregon beers are all about. Deschutes shows why it sets the standard once again. Deschutes makes beer that is mass produced, but still has the attention to detail that microbreweries command. I am proud to have Deschutes represent the Pacific NW. If you are visiting Oregon or the Pacific NW, make sure to try this one!

Had two bottles shipped to CT for me by a friend.
BA says that "All "5's" should be rare (ie. cannot improve anymore). Just keep that in mind." Well, I kept that in mind...and I can't think of a better beer for me right now.

Served at 35-40 degrees F into a shaker glass. Pours a beautiful rust brown color with a fluffy, light, off-white head that lasts the whole glass.

Nose - bready malt with a hint of almond extract and a layer of citrus and pine.

Taste - Biscuit and caramel with a perfect pine hop backbone. The finish is citrus and a sweet malty hit that lingers for a few seconds and makes me want another sip. Neither side, the malts or the hops, overpowers the other.

Maybe I love it because I can't get it around here. Maybe it's just where my pallette is right now. Either way, I can't think of how it could be any better.
If anyone knows of something that's available in CT that comes close to Mirror Pond, let me know!

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%