Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Pond Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: light copper color with thin white head, leaves quite a bit of lace
S: floral hops with a honey sweetness
T: floral, sharp hop flavor, maybe a touch of honey malt, definitely a bit of light caramel malts
M: crisp, medium level of carbonation
D: highly drinkable example of APA. Nice balance, not as "obvious" as some pale ales. Great beer, definitely worth trying. I wish I could get this in KY.

wspscott, Jun 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Cloudy with bright orange color. Vigorous pour provides thick rocky head that drops to 1/8" and holds strong. Lots of lace.

Sweet bready malt smell with a good floral aroma.

Caramelly sweet malt flavor with piney and citric hop flavor. Good balance.

Smooth medium body, as it should be. Quite good.

A good smooth pale ale. Good balance and a solid example of the style.

Tasted on 5/1/08, but labeled as best by 2/19/08... Ooops!

tmitch75, Jun 12, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to DHGranstrand for sending me all my Deschutes.

Pours a nice glowing ambery orange, with soft head and decent lace.

Nose has pronounced grain, nice citrus note, coarse bread and good floral background.

Taste is so classic for an American Pale. Good light maltiness in the middle, with a little dry grain flavor towards the finish and a hop flavored ending with light bitterness. Super balanced.

Feel is clean and smooth, with a decent carbonation tingle.

There's nothing overly stand-outish about this brew, except for how solidly it's put together. Everything is done in great balance and I feel like I could drink a lot of this stuff if I had a lot more. Overall just a really nicely done beer.

lightindarkness, Jun 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a nice 1 1/2 finger head with good retention that lasts for a good while. Nice clear orange color.

Smell is faint but I smell citrusy and piny hops.

Nicely balanced beer. Nice sweet pale and caramel malts upfront with an assertive citrusy/piney hop bitterness.

Nice crisp and smooth mouthfeel.

I don't have a lot to say about this beer. Kind of reviewing in a hurry, but it's a nicely balanced beer that I could drink all day long.

jasonjlewis, Jun 01, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Malty nose with applefruit.

Amber color, good clarity, moderate head.

Stiff bitterness and lots of hop. Clean & crisp flavor profile. Minimal malt flavor beneath the hops. Again, lots of bitterness - pleasant and tasty. A little fruit.

Balance is way off to the hop bitterness side. That's atypical of the APAs I've tried. Nice change of pace.

MrHungryMonkey, May 30, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Golden color with off-white head leaving light lacing.

A- Grapefruity citrus hop aroma

T- Fruity grapefruit citrus flavor. Nicely bittered malt flavor.

M- Medium-light body with moderate carbonation

D- A great APA. Any APA lover would love this, goes great with a meal(or without one).

gpogo, May 27, 2008

A good solid 4 to me...pours golden orange with 2 finger, fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing. Smell is of some hops and a bit of caramel almost, some sweetness at least. Taste is good, a great example for this style. A nice kiss of hops, nothing too overwhelming with a good malt backbone. It does have a different hop profile than its more famous cousin SNPA, but I really couldnt tell you what kind of hops it is. A nice light feel to it, carbonation is moderate. An easy drinker, good taste and good example of an APA.

bunnyhustle, May 19, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz brown bottle with best by date clearly marked on label, this one 6-3-08

Poured a hazy burnt orange color with a large foamy white head that was slow to subside and left a thick, fluffy ring and lots of floating skim, and ridiculous lacing for the whole beer.

Smell was cascade hops all the way, a mix of floral and citrus hops. You could also smell some sweetness in the background.

Taste was a sweet, slightly bready, malt backbone that hits right up front quickly followed by a mouthful of Cascade hops. Light yet a citrus and floral hop bite mid palate dried up my palate upon swallowing making me immediately want another drink.

This one is well carbonated and is light in the mouthfeel without feeling watery at all. Just what a pale ale should be.

The drinkability on this one is off the charts. It is a perfect summer ale for the hot arizona summers, and it is a staple in my fridge for the summer. It is also a nice one as a transition beer for friends who come over who say they dont like craft beer... mild but yet bold flavors in this one can change peoples mind about what they should expect out of beer. Not an IIPA but that is why I love it.. a true summer thirst quencher, and at only 5.5% it is easily sessionalble around a bbq in the hot summer sun!

tayner, May 13, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle

Best by: 5/21/08

Received in a recent trade with russpowell, thanks for the big ol' boxes Russ! Mirror Pond Pale is a polished copper bordering on orange with a good deal of fine particulate suspended throughout. A finger and a half worth of cotton white head formed on the pour but quickly dropped to a skim coat with not much more of a ring. The head leaves some patchy lacing but nothing out of the ordinary.

There's a good deal of toasted grains right off the bat, I even get some dry but muted nuttiness. The hop additions bring about a decent amount of orange oils with a little grassiness and earthiness in the background. Very balanced pale ale, unfortunately I'd enjoy a little more hoppiness.

The flavor rolls right along with the aroma. Toasted grains with a slight drizzling of caramel frame the orange oil hoppiness with grassiness here and there throughout. Mirror Pond is a very balanced pale ale, just not really my style. A good pale none the less.

There's good body on this beer. Medium bodied with a smooth somewhat creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation is soft and pleasant.

Mirror Pond is easy to put down. Something you don't really have to think about but that's enjoyable to put away.

Deschutes brews some quality beer. This isn't one of my favorites from them but it is a solid pale ale. This is a very well balanced pale ale.

joe1510, May 11, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer pours a dark golden color. Mirror Pond didn't produce much of a head but it did have a strange sweet smell. A little weird this beer is a little thin and not very hoppy. Probably a old batch. I received this in a trade and wonder how old it is. probably good fresh.

Overall, this beer could be good fresh. its a little sweet and has very little hoppy notes. I'd try it again just to confirm or debunk what I wonder about this beer.

iconoklaztor, May 08, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Not a bad offering from Deschutes. Poured an amber color out of a 12 oz bottle with 1/2 finger of head. No lacing I can see in the glass.

Smell isn't strong, but it's hoppy with maybe some banana-like complexity. Tastes like a well rounded pale ale. Good amount of hops with some malt & fruit (banana?) if I'm not mistaken.

Carbonation seems perfectly matched with the other characteristics of the beer.

scaaven, May 04, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Mirror Pond on the wall, If I had a case, I'd drink you all.

Pours a lightish golden color, a little paler than the average pale ale.

Has kinda a macro cut grass smell.

Taste is great. Refreshing, sweet, bitter, coats the tongue.

Finishes dry.

This is the Michael Rappaport of beers, good, but underappreciated. Tastes better than a B+

Murchmac, May 04, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of ArrogantB poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours bright hazy amber with a very thin bubbly head that dissipated almost immediately leaving absolutely no head or lacing.

S: Smell of light, sweet malts with some citrus and floral hops.

T: Tastes of subtle citrus hops, orange and some pine resin, with a sweet caramel malt flavor. Fairly crisp, sweet finish with little bitterness present at all.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light but smooth.

D: This one certainly isn't the most complex or daring APA, but I have to admit that I wouldn't mind throwing a few of these back on this warm spring night. Very sessionable.

gford217, Apr 29, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into pint glass from the bottle. It is golden orange in color and has a creamy off white head which dissapates to a sticky lace. The nose is citusy hops with hidden malt notes. The taste is refreshing hop forward and has a nice bitter bite on the finish. Good mouthfeel for the style, and again if more widely available would drink it as a session beer more often.

aquaderek, Apr 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

The color is a medium yellow. The aroma is stronger than you might expect of a pale ale; malt and some citrus in there, too. Taste is a nice blend of malt, citrus, and hints of some spices that are hard to put my finger on. An intriguing pale ale, one of the better ones out there, and one I could drink one after another.

PhxHorn, Apr 23, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Tasted on-tap 06/04/07 at a sports bar near the (closed at eh time) Tugboat Brewpub in Portland, OR.

Nice golden color with a decent off-white head and some lace. A nicely balanced malt and light hop aroma and flavor. No real defining hop characteristics that stand out. Medium-light bodied and easy drinking.

A very average APA. I wonder if this bar didn't take care of their kegs very well...

Per DB website:
Hops: Cascade
ABV: 5%
IBUs: 40

RBorsato, Apr 18, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

237 reviews as of this writing. I liked this beer. I decided to match it up with a spicy taco salad for dinner and I was quite happy with the results. West coast inspired, balanced and quite quaffable. Sent my way by a kind BA. I would have this again.

barleywinebrewer, Apr 15, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer was sort or a let down to me, I was expecting more hops, but on the other hand this is a good beer.

The bottles are not sold in texas yet, but the sales rep was able to get me one from his car that was quite cold.

The nose was great , the color was a nice clear golden ale.
The head was pretty big on it, lasted throughout the glass.
This reminded me of a mild hoppy bass english ale than an american pale ale. I could of used more hopps.

This beer is a nice beer, and it serves its niche, but I may not buy this again just not my style.

BgThang, Apr 09, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

This is the first time i've had this beer in about seven years what a big mistake that has been. I heard they might be changing the formula or so i wanted to try it again and also i've recently developed an appreciation for pale ales.
The color of this beer is beautiful and fairly dark for a pale ale orange/brown there is a small head but the lacing stays consistently down the glass.
the smell is a little faint but the hops are noticeable
the taste is very excellent a nice sweet citrus followed by some bitter grapefruit taste and the sweet malt finish
the mouthfeel is good a nice body with some good carbonation, a slight biscuit aftertaste
this beer is very drinkable one of my new favorites

peck95, Apr 07, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

So there I was last night at a local bar with my girlfriend and her Aunt. We were plugging our arteries with some fried food when I suddenly had the hankering for a really good beer. The Moose Drool I was downing just wasn't doing it for me. I wanted something from Deschutes. So we walked over to the grocery store nearby and I picked myself up a 6-pack of Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I have never actually had this offering before, but was a big fan of their Obsidian Stout and Black Butte Porter. Actually, now that I think about it more thoughtfully, the reason I went with the Pale Ale was because the others had reached their "best by" date.

Mirror Pond comes in a standard brown 12 ounce bottle with a nifty label. One of my favorites actually. The "best by" is clearly shown and has a good six weeks left. That's a rare find here in Montana. It seems like the smaller communities get off beer that didn't sell in larger areas. This is unfortunate.

Out pours a delicious looking Apricot orange color, very distinctive from other Pale Ales. There's a moderate head that sticks around for a bit but dissipates immediately upon my first couple of sips. There's no lace at all. It's a medium body with some cloud to it. Looks great.

I'm not smelling a whole lot of distinctive aromas. But I'm beginning to doubt my sense of smell. I'm a young guy and I think maybe my nose's best days are already behind it. Then again, the beer might be a bit too cold for all of its characteristics to clearly show. I'm also drinking from a frozen Guinness glass which probably deters things as well. As the beer settles and warms a bit, there is a mild fruit aroma that lets my nasal passage know that it's time to drink.

The taste is great. Truly great. The mouth isn't bombarded with hops which is a good thing sometimes. Slightly bitter with a slight citrus taste that compliment things rather well. The beer goes down smooth with a dry finish. Again, I should have let the beer settle more.

Overall this is one of my favorite Pale Ales. Another outstanding offering from Deschutes and the great state of Oregon. The Pacific Northwest has become a staple to me for great beer.

creeperjones, Apr 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

~News~
Last week Deschutes was offering a side-by-side Mirror Pond PA tasting. They will probably be changing the recipe, the dry-hopping process in particular. Expect a really nice aroma and a fuller body in the new MPPA.

Pours a golden yellow orange with a big white, (almost beige) head.

Cascade hops in the nose, bright grapefruit and slightly piny. The yeast and malt backbone pokes through though, and makes it enjoyably balanced.

The blend of hop to malt is smooth and complimenting. The sweetness and bitterness take turns running back and forth across the palate through the taste. Begining is a sweet pop, then a bitter kick, then a sweet finish, then a bitter aftertaste.

A bit of weird breadiness keeps this one from getting bought be my every time i'm at Deschutes. I didn't taste it so much in one of the two MP taste-samplers that I had last week, so maybe the new recipe will make this my new Deschutes favorite!

SurlyDuff, Mar 19, 2008
4.16/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot color with a modest head that leaves a dancing pattern of lace

Smell: Fruity aromatics of grapefruit and apricot with a caramel undertone

Taste: Caramel malt and then a brief apricot introduction before a pink grapefruit blast arrives; bitter hoppy flavors dominate after the swallow with some residual sweetness on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very nicely balanced example of a west coast-inspired pale ale

brentk56, Mar 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Had this one on tap at Snow Summit up in Big Bear as well.

The first thing I noted is that this is a bit darker than a lot of pale's. Certainly darker than Sierra Nevada, which I guess is my comparison point for pale ales. More orange than amber. Nice crisp smell with citrus hops. The taste was basically the same as the smell, with clean malt and plenty of C hops. Plenty carbonated, but easy to drink. This is probably my new favorite West Coast APA.

rxdrewthejew, Mar 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

I picked a six of this up in Frisco, CO, while on my trip at Breckenridge (great skiing there by the way).

Anyhow....

Appearance: amber with a nice 1/2" off-white head on the pour
Smell: cascade hops
Taste: cascade hops and a caramel maltiness...nicely balanced
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: could do three or four in a night....a good session beer

overall, a pretty good beer....probably won't see it till i head out west again.

Applesauce1, Mar 03, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Caramel honey colored pour with a lasting creamy head. Smell is of an almost berry like hoppiness at first, but it fades into a light hoppy, almost metallic smell as it opens up. Taste is mildish hoppiness, with a sweet finish at first, and then after a few sips a hoppy light bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Maybe it was just my tummy today, but this seemed fairly acidic after it went down. Not a bad pale ale at all, either way. There are more I like better, but I could still have this again.

JDV, Feb 22, 2008