Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Pond Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +11%

A: Mirror Pond pours an orange-amber color with a creamy off-white head that settles to a thin film on the surface. Excellent sticky lacing and medium carbonation.

S: Up front, there are notes of biscuity malt and caramel. Hops lend some spicy, floral notes, along with a touch of citrus.

T: On the palate, this brew is hoppier than the smell makes it seem. Spicy hops burst on the taste buds with citrus and a hint of black pepper. Malt balances it out with flavors of caramel and toast.

M: Medium bodied, and has a silky mouthfeel, with a crisp, long lasting finish.

D: One of the most drinkable APA's I have had. Flavors are complex, but very tolerable for just about any palate. It's good to see these guys finally made it to Minnesota.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: The pour is a very nice looking burnt orange/amber color with a thin white foam which settles down to a thin ring.

S: The nose offers up some pleasant grapefruit and mild pine notes along with a strong aroma of bready malt.

T: The flavor has quite a bit of sweet, juicy citrus and fruit flavors from the hops with a mildly bitter finish. While the hops are at the forefront, there's still a solid malt component.

M: The body is perhaps a touch watery with a surprisingly low carbonation.

D: An easy to drink pale ale, but nothing outstanding compared to some of the other pale ales out there.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Amber, leaning red. An inch of fluffy cream-colored head on top which seems to have no intention of leaving until you're good and ready to drink it.

S - Piney hops highlight a bold, bready body.

T - Very good. Nothing too special, but as far as I'm concerned, a American pale ale shouldn't be too special, exactly. It distinguishes itself nicely from lesser ales without impinging upon the territory of the IPAs. It's built around a solid framework of malted barley, with just enough of citrusy cascade hops to be interesting, not overpowering. In other words, it doesn't sacrifice drinkability for flavor.

M - While the bitterness isn't overpowering, it does take the main stage. There's a noticeable tapdance across the tongue as it makes its way down.

D - For me, it's a very drinkable beer. There've been more than a handful of nights out with friends involving a string of Mirror Pond pints... It's well blended, but a little too tart to call it smooth. Depending on your taste, it could swing either way on the drinkability scale -- though it naturally feels smoother by the second glass ;)

Overall - It's a classic. Tastes great and goes down easy. This was one of the first beers that really opened my eyes when I moved to the Northwest, and it's still a solid staple of mine.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to sirdrinknp for this treat.

Pours the absolute quintessence of an American pale. Billowy pillow of lasting, off-white foam upon a brew as golden as Cortez' daydreams. Multiple swipes of a spatula would be needed to remove the gorgeous lace.

The pale malt really shines in a light aroma. It is backed by hints of citrus and enticing floral notes. Very light hints of pine appear. This bouquet is on the light side, but it is a first rate perfume. Nice.

The taste is medium strength, but again the pale malt shines. It is a real bright and sweet breadiness that ties the other, more subtle flavors together. The floral notes are the most prominent as the sip progresses, ending finally in a juicy finish of light citrus and pine. Rating for style in this category is not easy anymore, many hop bombs are labeled APA's. The hops are not the only prime mover here, a supporting cast for a malt bill that is delicious. Each aspect improves the others to make a subtle but complex and exceptional taste.

In the mouth this beer is medium bodied, perfectly resinous, very carb.'ed, and supports the finish and flavor profile excellently.

Drinkability is on the order of have the emergency room on speed dial if you have a few cases of these handy.

Impression: I would buy out my store of these, it is absolutely delicious, but sadly Deschutes doesn't ship here. This is a must drink.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Mirror Pond Pale Ale is a color between copper and orange, with a clingy head that leaves thick spots of lace on the glass.

smells of citrus and sweet caramel malt.

malt forward, but balanced, malts have a bready, doughy taste, slightly caramel, balanced by the floral and citrus hop notes. bitterness is low to medium for the style.

m good, creamy, very highly carbonated.

+ a great sessionable beer, and a well made APA. my only problem is with the aggressive carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Wonderful, classic example of the style, a dead ringer. Great looking golden brew kettle copper with an off-white head. Highly refreshing cascade hop aroma, nothing overpowering to dull your senses, just enough to remind you its American. Sweet caramel malts are enjoyed in harmony with the great hoppy flavor. Terrific pale ale and highly sessionable. More Please!

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Good pale ale, a good and pleasing choice on tap.

Presentation: 20 oz draft serving. Menu only notes "Ice Cold Premium Draft Beers" with Mirror Pond among a 6 tap selection, and separated from 2 macro taps, $1 cheaper under the heading "Domestic Draft Beers". Served in a large pint shaker glass.

A - Medium amber reddish pour with a good is short head (serving close to the rim), medium retention and good lacing alongside a thin surface memory.

S - Soft aromas of hops and malt, grapefruit and caramel. Floral hints.

T - Nicely balance malt base with a good, if subtle, hoppy profile. Grapefruit and citrus notes over a soft and sweet malt sense.

M - Medium to light body lingering on the weak side towards the finish. Likewise good carbonation that holds better on tap than on its bottled version.

D - Very quaffable, works very well as a session beer.

Notes: Very similar to the bottled version with a fresher quality and better mouthfeel as it holds the texture much better. Remains a good and reliable pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Found on tap in AZ. Pours a dark copper in color with a small soapy head and some lacework.

Smell: Piney hops, resin, a bit grassy as well.

Taste: Bitter hops upfront, when served cold the malt body does little to stand in the way. Generic citrus flavor hard to pinpoint exactly which fruits but pleasing nonetheless. As the beer approaches room temperature, alittle malt sweetness pokes through but the hops become more astringent.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a pleasing hop bite which lingers.

Drinkability: This beer is much closer to an IPA than a standard APA, which makes me wonder what Deschutes IPA and DIPA are like. Solid beer nonetheless.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Mirror Pond poured a very vibrant orange with a large frothy long lasting head. It left a solid wall of lace on the way down.

Good balance in the nose. Citrus hops are matched well by the malt toastiness. There are notes of orange, lemon peel, some sweet caramel and crackers. It was a good fresh aroma with just a hint of alcohol.

Very good flavor as well. Balance was good with all the aforementioned flavors. Fresh fruit with a bitter resiny presence. The finish was long, dry, and hop-heavy.

The body was a little on the thin side of medium. The feel was very slick with lively carbonation. Dry after the slickness in the mouth, it was easy to take another sip.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

For a Pale Ale this one was pretty strong and I tasted quite a bit of hops. I'm not used to having a pale ale that tastes more like an IPA. Again I purchased this one at a Wal-Mart for only $6 and well worth it to. I figured this beer to be a lot more for the price. The drinkability was great being able to enjoy them for the night but not getting too carried away with myself. I could classify this as better than the Sierra Nevada pale ale, one of my favorite beers. Would love to get some more of this and the price is too good to pass up.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

This is one of the first pale ales that I tried and loved from the instant I caught that great hoppy aroma. I have since appreciated hoppier brews but I enjoyed this in the beginning because there was more to it than hop. The appearance is golden with a little lace left behind. The smell isn't too strong. I could probably drink multiple pints because it always leaves me wanting another. Mouth feel is good but not much linger on this one. I would suggest this to anyone looking for a classy pale ale.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

Once again I will say, I am not a pale ale fan. I don't know what I don't like about them, but for some reason I don't like the flavors of them.

A - It is a nice amber color, has an average size head that lasts a medium amount of time. The color is very pretty

S - It has a slightly sweet smell, nothing special, but pretty good.

T - It is sort of sweet, but has a strong bite at the end. The bite is strong enough that my girlfriend told me that I was making faces. I am a bit of a wimp for alcohol flavor, and I felt like I could taste some of the alcohol.

M/D - This beer is a little bit watery. The beer made me flinch a bit, so I'd say not very good. I give all Deschutes beers some credits because the beers taste so natural and pure.

Bottom Line: I am a HUGE fan of Deschutes. I give them the benefit of the doubt whenever I am selecting beers, but this one just seems to have missed the mark. I prefer the Red Chair NWPA to Mirror Pond.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Two 12oz bottles poured into 22oz glass and topped up.

Appearance: Slightly hazy orangey amber with frothy off white head receding to good ring and leaving reasonable lacing.

Aroma: Citrusy, slightly floral and woody hop.

Taste: Soft but obvious hop bitterness with citrus and pepper. Slightly woody. Understated but balancing malt. Some peach or apricot. A little honey sweetness as it warms. Quite crisp but slightly dry. Now, this all sounds pretty good, except somehow it all seems just a little watered down, which spoils the overall flavour.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, decent.

Drinkability: There are lots of good flavours here, but the slightly diluted feel spoils it. Pleasant enough, but I'm glad they were free. There are much more rewarding pale ales out there to enjoy.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

The head of this beer is light, white, bright (ok no more rhyming) and inviting. Simply looking at this beer makes me want to taste it. The beautiful golden brown color only made me want to indulge in this brew even more. It's like the beer knows it looks good.

With the first taste I sensed a dry, wheat flavor - one that brings thoughts of hiking in the forests of Oregon, although I've never been there. The brew lies easy in the mouth, yet leaves its mark (in a positive way).

Overall, this beer is dry, yet refreshing. The brew remains bubbly and full of flavor through to the end. I don't know what the Mirror Pond in Oregon looks like, but I believe I know what that sensation tastes like after having this brew.

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

This is one of the first craft beers I'd ever had. Based on this beer, I didn't think I was a craft beer drinker. It pours with a nice head and has a beautiful amber color. But, the malt sweetness smacks you in the face. And, the taste follows. It's just way too sweet for me.

If this APA has hops in it, I'm hard-pressed to find them. I just can't get past the malt. I know there are others who prefer the balanced English pale ale to the West Coast-sytle hop forward style, but I'm not one of them.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a bottle of this beer into my Anchor Steam pint glass. I was searching for a good pale ale for my kegerator and this was one of the possibilities.

A. This beer is a light copper like color. It had a ever so slightly off white head, about an inch, that vanished rather quickly. Good lacing.

S. Good nose. Floral hoppiness. Some malt undertones as well.

T. Good, but a slight let down. THe taste was a little weaker than the aroma. But it was a good hoppy taste. Some sweetness form the malt. Pleasant enough I suppose.

M. Kind of thin. It was, however, crisp and refreshing.

D. This is a pretty good session beer. Kind of boring but easy to drink.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from tap into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber-orange with thin white head and some nice lacing.

Smell: Some sweet citrus and grapefruit, grainy toasted malts and a touch of spiciness.

Taste: Bright citrus, semi-sweet grainy malts, with some spicy bitterness at the end, and a hint of sourness.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body but somewhat watery, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Overall, a fairly typical example of an APA. Quite good, but not worth seeking out with all of the other choices out there.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Drinking a 12 oz bottle - poured into an Odell Pilsner glass

A - A nice orange amber with an inch of cloudy white head. Small amount of lacing.

S - Citrus and caramel. Some hops waif through, with a touch of spice.

T - Nicely balanced, with a lightly flavorful punch of hops and malts.

M - Medium carbonation. Not too sweet. Just the tight amount of flavor for a pale ale.

D - A nice, easy drinking brew.

A tasty pale ale, well balanced. Worth a try for the price. Dechutes does it right with most beers. Recommended.

Presentation - Tapped into pint glass at burlesque joint in Denver

Appearance - Honey colour with half-finger head and good lacing

Smell/Taste - Somewhat hop forward for an APA, but malts can still be detected

Mouthfeel - Medium to light bodied

Drinkability - Very sessionable

Overall - A quality choice

A: awfully hazy for a beer named "mirror pond". I kid, a bit of yeasty suspension is acceptable for the APA, but maybe they should consider either filtering it or naming it after something that isn't crystal clear. On with the review. Pours light-copper in color with noticeable yeast suspended throughout. Head forms quickly and lasts through the experience, leaving rings around the glass.

S: juicy grapefruit, orange, and pine combine to create an aggressive, yet delightful bouquet.

T: off-dry, with a juicy sweetness in the front and a sharp hop bite in the aftertaste.

M: medium bodied, with a slight astringency from the hops, and a dose of bubbly carbonation.

D: one of the better APAs I've come across. aggressively hopped, while remaining semi-sweet. worth a try.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I used to live in Oregon and I never tried this beer. I lived in Eugene and would see it on tap and at almost every bar. But now I am drinking it in AZ. Probably not as good as one from the source.

Nice foamy creamish head with a dark honey look.

Smells of malts and a strong presence of hops. Some grains and alcohol can be smelt.

Nice presence of hops. Not as over powering as what you might find in a strong pale ale or IPA. It took a second to hit me. I couldn't find much in it besides the hops, but I am a real fan of the hops.

Has a nice full bodied feel. Nice and smooth yet heavy.

Great beer to accompany a burger, but also great on its own.

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- amber colored with a finger of white head that retains nicely and leaves decent lacing

S- floral hops up front with some hints of the barley

T- decent hop taste expected in a northwest pale ale, with a good malt flavor to balance it out- and a mild citrus to add to the flavor

M- fairly light with medium carbonation

D- pretty decent, a good sessionable brew that left me feeling alright after finishing the entire sixer but nothing special- i'd still go with SNPA if given a choice

This was the first sixer from Deschutes that I bought from a supermarket where some fool didn't try to be slick and mix it with a bottle or two of Obsidian or Black Butte, but somehow that phenomenon is actually quite pleasing whenever people try to pull that. I've had bottles of this beer in sixers when trying to purchase Black Butte where it provided a nice change of pace but alone it doesn't really do it for me.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

I got intro'd to this modern classic while working this summer in Honolulu, where it is commonly found on tap. Sessioned with it watching UFC 100, savored it over a Kalua pork omelet, turned a neophyte co-worker onto it. Quite the versatile brew!

MP is now a mainstay in the beer fridge and my current go-to favorite. Enjoyed a bottle last night watching the Alamo Bowl:

Pours a cloudy, medium amber with a finger or two of smooth, bone-colored head. Head reduces gradually to a thin lace and leaves a nice film all the way down the glass.

The scent of florals, citrus and pine jumps out of the glass. This is the classic hop-forward nose of the Pacific Northwest and it waters my mouth every time.

The first swig delivers a big, balanced bitterness, full of piney hops. The taste fades slowly to reveal abundant citrus and floral notes. I'm not an expressive man, but this beer makes me grunt with pleasure every time. There's an underlying "juiciness" here that I can't quite pin down, but it keeps me coming back for more.

The brew coats the mouth, leaving a juicy lingering bitterness after every gulp. Maybe a little heavy for a pale, but I like the depth and heft.

I've had several draughts in addition to the bottles and haven't had a bad one yet. I'm a devotee of all Deschutes' products, but this is number one in my book. Looking forward to touring the brewery some time this year.

Extra bonus - love the packaging!

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Wow - I used to drink Mirror Pond all those years and haven't yet reviewed it. So here goes.

Mirror Pond was one of my first entries into the craft brew arena way back when my palette began to demand more than Bud Light. Now that I've experienced hundreds of the finest brews on the planet, I can't help but be a bit disappointed when I come back to it. The taste and complexity are nothing special, and when I can get a twelver of, say, Celebration for the same price, you know which way I'm going.

I recently picked up some Mirror Pond for a special occasion party in which many of the guests had unrefined beer palettes, and it was like seeing an old friend again after many years apart...

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a three finger off-white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Piney almost grapefruit hop nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Favor is mild grapefruit hops with hints of sweetness. 12oz bottle - gift from Portland, OR.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Deschutes Brewery