Mirror Pond Pale Ale - Deschutes Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.0%
IBUs: 40

170 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Pond Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer pours a dark golden color. Mirror Pond didn't produce much of a head but it did have a strange sweet smell. A little weird this beer is a little thin and not very hoppy. Probably a old batch. I received this in a trade and wonder how old it is. probably good fresh.

Overall, this beer could be good fresh. its a little sweet and has very little hoppy notes. I'd try it again just to confirm or debunk what I wonder about this beer.

iconoklaztor, May 08, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Not a bad offering from Deschutes. Poured an amber color out of a 12 oz bottle with 1/2 finger of head. No lacing I can see in the glass.

Smell isn't strong, but it's hoppy with maybe some banana-like complexity. Tastes like a well rounded pale ale. Good amount of hops with some malt & fruit (banana?) if I'm not mistaken.

Carbonation seems perfectly matched with the other characteristics of the beer.

scaaven, May 04, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Mirror Pond on the wall, If I had a case, I'd drink you all.

Pours a lightish golden color, a little paler than the average pale ale.

Has kinda a macro cut grass smell.

Taste is great. Refreshing, sweet, bitter, coats the tongue.

Finishes dry.

This is the Michael Rappaport of beers, good, but underappreciated. Tastes better than a B+

Murchmac, May 04, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of ArrogantB poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours bright hazy amber with a very thin bubbly head that dissipated almost immediately leaving absolutely no head or lacing.

S: Smell of light, sweet malts with some citrus and floral hops.

T: Tastes of subtle citrus hops, orange and some pine resin, with a sweet caramel malt flavor. Fairly crisp, sweet finish with little bitterness present at all.

M: Mouthfeel is fairly light but smooth.

D: This one certainly isn't the most complex or daring APA, but I have to admit that I wouldn't mind throwing a few of these back on this warm spring night. Very sessionable.

gford217, Apr 29, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into pint glass from the bottle. It is golden orange in color and has a creamy off white head which dissapates to a sticky lace. The nose is citusy hops with hidden malt notes. The taste is refreshing hop forward and has a nice bitter bite on the finish. Good mouthfeel for the style, and again if more widely available would drink it as a session beer more often.

aquaderek, Apr 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

The color is a medium yellow. The aroma is stronger than you might expect of a pale ale; malt and some citrus in there, too. Taste is a nice blend of malt, citrus, and hints of some spices that are hard to put my finger on. An intriguing pale ale, one of the better ones out there, and one I could drink one after another.

PhxHorn, Apr 23, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Tasted on-tap 06/04/07 at a sports bar near the (closed at eh time) Tugboat Brewpub in Portland, OR.

Nice golden color with a decent off-white head and some lace. A nicely balanced malt and light hop aroma and flavor. No real defining hop characteristics that stand out. Medium-light bodied and easy drinking.

A very average APA. I wonder if this bar didn't take care of their kegs very well...

Per DB website:
Hops: Cascade
ABV: 5%
IBUs: 40

RBorsato, Apr 18, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

237 reviews as of this writing. I liked this beer. I decided to match it up with a spicy taco salad for dinner and I was quite happy with the results. West coast inspired, balanced and quite quaffable. Sent my way by a kind BA. I would have this again.

barleywinebrewer, Apr 15, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer was sort or a let down to me, I was expecting more hops, but on the other hand this is a good beer.

The bottles are not sold in texas yet, but the sales rep was able to get me one from his car that was quite cold.

The nose was great , the color was a nice clear golden ale.
The head was pretty big on it, lasted throughout the glass.
This reminded me of a mild hoppy bass english ale than an american pale ale. I could of used more hopps.

This beer is a nice beer, and it serves its niche, but I may not buy this again just not my style.

BgThang, Apr 09, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

This is the first time i've had this beer in about seven years what a big mistake that has been. I heard they might be changing the formula or so i wanted to try it again and also i've recently developed an appreciation for pale ales.
The color of this beer is beautiful and fairly dark for a pale ale orange/brown there is a small head but the lacing stays consistently down the glass.
the smell is a little faint but the hops are noticeable
the taste is very excellent a nice sweet citrus followed by some bitter grapefruit taste and the sweet malt finish
the mouthfeel is good a nice body with some good carbonation, a slight biscuit aftertaste
this beer is very drinkable one of my new favorites

peck95, Apr 07, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

So there I was last night at a local bar with my girlfriend and her Aunt. We were plugging our arteries with some fried food when I suddenly had the hankering for a really good beer. The Moose Drool I was downing just wasn't doing it for me. I wanted something from Deschutes. So we walked over to the grocery store nearby and I picked myself up a 6-pack of Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I have never actually had this offering before, but was a big fan of their Obsidian Stout and Black Butte Porter. Actually, now that I think about it more thoughtfully, the reason I went with the Pale Ale was because the others had reached their "best by" date.

Mirror Pond comes in a standard brown 12 ounce bottle with a nifty label. One of my favorites actually. The "best by" is clearly shown and has a good six weeks left. That's a rare find here in Montana. It seems like the smaller communities get off beer that didn't sell in larger areas. This is unfortunate.

Out pours a delicious looking Apricot orange color, very distinctive from other Pale Ales. There's a moderate head that sticks around for a bit but dissipates immediately upon my first couple of sips. There's no lace at all. It's a medium body with some cloud to it. Looks great.

I'm not smelling a whole lot of distinctive aromas. But I'm beginning to doubt my sense of smell. I'm a young guy and I think maybe my nose's best days are already behind it. Then again, the beer might be a bit too cold for all of its characteristics to clearly show. I'm also drinking from a frozen Guinness glass which probably deters things as well. As the beer settles and warms a bit, there is a mild fruit aroma that lets my nasal passage know that it's time to drink.

The taste is great. Truly great. The mouth isn't bombarded with hops which is a good thing sometimes. Slightly bitter with a slight citrus taste that compliment things rather well. The beer goes down smooth with a dry finish. Again, I should have let the beer settle more.

Overall this is one of my favorite Pale Ales. Another outstanding offering from Deschutes and the great state of Oregon. The Pacific Northwest has become a staple to me for great beer.

creeperjones, Apr 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

~News~
Last week Deschutes was offering a side-by-side Mirror Pond PA tasting. They will probably be changing the recipe, the dry-hopping process in particular. Expect a really nice aroma and a fuller body in the new MPPA.

Pours a golden yellow orange with a big white, (almost beige) head.

Cascade hops in the nose, bright grapefruit and slightly piny. The yeast and malt backbone pokes through though, and makes it enjoyably balanced.

The blend of hop to malt is smooth and complimenting. The sweetness and bitterness take turns running back and forth across the palate through the taste. Begining is a sweet pop, then a bitter kick, then a sweet finish, then a bitter aftertaste.

A bit of weird breadiness keeps this one from getting bought be my every time i'm at Deschutes. I didn't taste it so much in one of the two MP taste-samplers that I had last week, so maybe the new recipe will make this my new Deschutes favorite!

SurlyDuff, Mar 19, 2008
4.16/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot color with a modest head that leaves a dancing pattern of lace

Smell: Fruity aromatics of grapefruit and apricot with a caramel undertone

Taste: Caramel malt and then a brief apricot introduction before a pink grapefruit blast arrives; bitter hoppy flavors dominate after the swallow with some residual sweetness on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very nicely balanced example of a west coast-inspired pale ale

brentk56, Mar 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Had this one on tap at Snow Summit up in Big Bear as well.

The first thing I noted is that this is a bit darker than a lot of pale's. Certainly darker than Sierra Nevada, which I guess is my comparison point for pale ales. More orange than amber. Nice crisp smell with citrus hops. The taste was basically the same as the smell, with clean malt and plenty of C hops. Plenty carbonated, but easy to drink. This is probably my new favorite West Coast APA.

rxdrewthejew, Mar 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

I picked a six of this up in Frisco, CO, while on my trip at Breckenridge (great skiing there by the way).

Anyhow....

Appearance: amber with a nice 1/2" off-white head on the pour
Smell: cascade hops
Taste: cascade hops and a caramel maltiness...nicely balanced
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: could do three or four in a night....a good session beer

overall, a pretty good beer....probably won't see it till i head out west again.

Applesauce1, Mar 03, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Caramel honey colored pour with a lasting creamy head. Smell is of an almost berry like hoppiness at first, but it fades into a light hoppy, almost metallic smell as it opens up. Taste is mildish hoppiness, with a sweet finish at first, and then after a few sips a hoppy light bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Maybe it was just my tummy today, but this seemed fairly acidic after it went down. Not a bad pale ale at all, either way. There are more I like better, but I could still have this again.

JDV, Feb 22, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Very hazy copper brew with a huge head. Lots of webbed lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - Pine, spicy white pepper and moss. Very nice blend of hops. There is a hint of malt underneath.

T - An initial rush of the peppery hops that fades to allow the clean amber malt to shine through with some support from both grassy and pine hops. The aftertaste is of a balance between the malt (which has soured slightly, the peppery hops and a grassy bitterness. Awesome.

M - A little harsh, thin, very, very refreshing.

D - Excellent. This is a gem among APAs. I've had before, I'll have again. It stands alongside SNPA as the best APA available, at least in my mind.

mrasskicktastic, Feb 21, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Overall a pretty solid American pale ale and would be a quality session beer. Amber in color, decent white head that stuck around for a while, Piney Northwest hop flavor dominated the smell, light malty flavor on the taste with a little fruitness that is excentuated by the dominant hops but it's not near the hop level of an IPA or Sierra Nevada, a touch of biscuit flavor as well. Finishes fairly clean without any bad aftertaste. Nothing to write home about but better than your average fair. Although I bet this one goes down fast and gets rated higher on a hot summer day.

hopsleeroy, Feb 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy, golden yellow color, with a thin off white head. The head fades quickly, leaving no lace.

This beer has a subtle caramel like malty aroma. It has a slight floral hop aroma also. I think the aroma is lacking. It is boring. I have had many pale ales that were more aggressive and complex in the aroma area, and that is what I want in an APA.

This beer tastes exactly like it smelled. As with the aroma, I want more taste in my beer.

This beer is refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a very slight caramel aftertaste. Carbonation is good for the style.

This beer would probably make an excelent session beer. Low alcohol, and non aggressive flavor.

Overall: I didnt expect much, so I wasnt let down. I just moved to a beer wasteland, but I can find this everywhere. I assume I will have this on hand a lot since there is not much else. Give me a few years, and I assume I will grow to love it.

OStrungT, Jan 24, 2008

an all time classic pale ale, next to maybe only the sierra nevada, but this pale is stronger and can stand alone as an adventure a little more, deschutes does a good job of keeping their beer developing, where some of the other large micros start to remain the same, stagnant in their creations, deschutes pale mirror tastes a little different every time.

Hollenbeck2, Jan 23, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, amber-gold beer with a frothy, golden white head.

Smell: Decent hop aroma with sweet malt accents.

Taste: Light citrus flavor with minimal malt character.

Mouthfeel: Light body. The finish on this brew leaves me hanging.

Drinkablity: Decent brew, a bit tamer than I expected.

SargeC, Jan 08, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +9%

Opened 12 oz bottle with BB date of 03/04/08.

Developed 1" head, subsided rather quickly. Lacy haze across top of glass. Color is nice Amber brew with haze.

Smell is just what I like in a Pale Ale: Nice a nice hoppy smell, with citrus tones. A little pineapple, a little bit of Oregon Forest.

Taste is even better than the smell. A citrus fruit, but not overly fruity with good hoppy bitterness, but not crazy bitter. Good finish with light aftertaste.

This beer was my first introduction to Deschutes over a year ago; I had it on tap then, but it has always tasted as it did that day. I'm a great Deschutes fan, and this one is classic.

mattster, Jan 03, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Acquired via trade from Solomon420, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is nicely balanced with flavors of caramel and citrus sweetness and good amount of grassy hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice beer to drink several of over the course of an evening.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 03, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

I enjoyed this beer on New Years Eve in a big 20 ounce glass at The Arizona Room, a restaurant located inside the Grand Canyon National Park. On to the beer:

When it arrived at the table, the beer had little head on top and a hazy amber/tawny body. There are two things you need to know about this beer: caramel and piney citrus. The first half is a wave of malt, and the second half closes out on a pleasant hop note. It leaves a bready and sweet aftertaste on the palate. A little heavy for a pale ale, but it cleaned my palate of the extreme spiciness from the dinner I had.

DoubleJ, Jan 02, 2008

Pour light amber with a decent head that quickly disappears leaving just a little lace. Moderate bready malt with slightly perfumey hops smell and a hint of sourness. The sourness isn't exactly unpleasant, but it doesn't really add positively either. The flavor is good with a nicely balanced malt base and moderate hop bitterness, leading into an acidic and bitter finish that is relatively long lived. The aftertaste also picks up a hint of sourness as it warms up. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with nice dry texture, lively carbonation, and a slightly astringent finish. Overall this is a nice, clean pale ale that goes well with a variety of foods, especially grilled meats. It isn't too overhwelming, and the flavors are generally good but not overly complex.

barleywinefiend, Dec 31, 2007