Obsidian Stout - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 6.4%
IBUs: 55

220 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Obsidian Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,293 | Reviews: 1,049
1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

I agree with the akbelgianbeast, extremely overrated. it starts off with hints of epoxy, maybe some asphalt, the middle and finish have the taste and texture of some low-end cheap hairspray, and that nasty array of not so nice flavors lingers for far too long, this brew is definitely the shame of the DeSchutes line-up. bahh!

2.63/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance: Dark with a moderate foamy head
Smell: Molasses
Taste: I kept getting a taste that seemed familiar, but I couldn't figure it out until after I'd had this beer a few times. Then it hit me: Ashtray. A distinct taste that made me feel I'd poured an ashtray into my mouth.
Mouthfeel: Zesty
Overall: Ok, but the ashtray association was a little disconcerting.

2.73/5  rDev -35%

Served on nitro-draught into a New Belgium goblet at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica, California. Cost was $4.00 USD plus tax. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high given the serving type, brewery, and style - all of which I love.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice tan colour, good cream, slick smooth nicely thick foam, and excellent retention. Colour is a solid nontransparent black.

Sm: Roasted barley, cream, milk, and chocolate. A mild strength aroma.

T: Heavy cream is dominant, an effect of the nitro no doubt. Some underlying chocolate and rather tame roasted barley. I liked it better out of the bottle; it's a bit stale here. Dark malts form the foundation. Poorly balanced on nitro. The increased cream attacks the balance. I'm disappointed. It's not bad, but it's far from good. A bit simple and not subtle.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. A touch too thin. Very undercarbonated. Complements the flavour profile only moderately.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. Best from the bottle methinks. I wouldn't bother with it again on nitro-draught, but it might do better on-draught.

C-

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

I cannot beleive this ranks in the 90's. An irishmen would ponder suicide if he drank this beer. It pours black and promising, the nose is standard for an american stout. The first sip has notes of black tar. Followed by a sweet sort of hairspray middle rounding out in a monarch vodka flavor. To me this beer is extremely overrated. If its your thing, then more power to you, but if you like true irish dry stout or american oatmeal stout then this beer is not for you. Give this beer to someone you hate for christmas. Or be nicer and give them some natty ice.

2.79/5  rDev -33.6%

Overall: this was proabably my least favorite stout. It tasted like a typical west coast IPA mixed with a stout, and the result was the look of a stout and the taste of a Pale Ale. Maybe I had a bad batch because I drank 2 from the same 6 pack and they were identical? This is not something I would buy again.

A: typical stout darkness with nice tan head

S: I didn't pick up much of the roasted smells, or the coffee, malty smells either.

T: As I mentioned in my overall summary I just did not get the typical stout flavors that I enjoy - chocolates and coffees, toffees, caramels, roasted flavors. Instead it simply tasted like a typical Pale Ale. If I had closed my eyes I would have sworn it was a pale ale. I might say as the beer warmed up and if I let it sit in my mouth for just a bit I would get a little bit of a light coffee flavor, but almost unnoticeable.

M: perhaps some of the creaminess of a stout with the head, but definitely that thicker feeling that I get from other stouts.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

A - Very darkish red with a decent head retention and great lace that sticks to the sides.

S - Chocolatey with a floral or citrus smell that could be from the hops.

T - Different than most stouts I have had. Smooth at the very beginning but instantly transforms into bitterness from the crystal malts. There is a slight citrus flavor to it.

M - Medium bodied which is not something I expect from a stout. The beer doesn't coat the mouth for long.

O - Something that can only be enjoyed as a sipper, not because of the body but from he bitterness. I probably could only have one or two.

2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 1/14/2010:

(Bottle BB 2/4/10): Pours a dark black color body, average tan head, somewhat lasting. Dark roasty aroma, alcoholy. Some sweetness, coffee. Funky taste, coffee aftertaste. Light body, somewhat watery. Some ash, but not heavy. A bit of wildness too. Not so tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/13/14. Pours dark brown black with a huge creamy light brown head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is dry chalky roast chocolate malts and some grains with a little coffee.

The flavor is burnt roast bitter chocolate malts with some coffee and a little sweetness and a fairly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation and a little watery.

Overall, some sweet chocolate and heavily roasted / burnt chocolate malts with a little coffee and a bitter burnt finish. A little too burnt for me.

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz in a snifter via trade from Nitrogen (as always, thank you).

APPEARANCE: Dark black with a thin head, quickly disappears into the thick black

SMELL: Strong smell of chocolate, roasted malts and grain. Powerful smell.

TASTE: Smell of chocolate and malts. The taste isn't as strong as I expected. Wasn't as much there as the smell gave off. I guess I expected more from this beer.

MOUTHFEEL: To thin for stout for me. Too watery for me. Not quite what I expect.

DRINKABILITY: I Could sip this for awhile, but overall, I wouldn't want too many of these.

I expected more from this beer because of the reviews and all of the talk, but it really didn't do much for me. I honestly expected a lot more, but it really didn't do much for me.

3.12/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I can see why they called it obsidian stout. Jet black body with a thick and heavy mocha colored head.

S: Not a big fan. It smelled like a chocolatey lager. There was intense chocolatey aromas but the soggy bready aromas were also very strong.

T: I'm not so sure why this beer is reviewed so highly. The malt has too mush sharpness from the roast. I love stouts but the roast is way too much. The lager soggy bready flavor matches that in the aroma. There is some chocolate flavors here as well.

M: Nicely carbonated and the body is a tad light for a stout but still good.

O: Know what this beer tastes like, I would not be disappointed if I never tried it. There are much better stouts available year round for less out there.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

Got this bottle from the make your own six pack door @ Top Ten Wine & Spirits in Woodbury, MN. Poured into a arrogant bastard pint glass

Pours a pitch black with a nice two finger mocha head that dissolves really quick

Smell getting some chocolate and Burnt coffee beans

Nice mouthfeel could of been a little heavier but it is very drinkable

I get the bitter chocolate and coffee bean with a little vanilla the hoppy bitter chocolate lingers in the after taste

It was pretty darn good but just a little to bitter for my liking. But a god one

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

From Notes:

A: Poured a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head, about half an inch thick that receded to a thin film. Almost entirely opaque. Decent lacing. 4.0

S: Very rich, chocolate, and dark roasted malts, slight coffee hints as well. Very noticeable piney hops, as well, add a clean dimension, but seem somewhat out of place. 3.0

T: Smoky, coffee flavors up front, with a nice bitter lingering. Relatively little chocolate flavor though, very subdued. Hops are very clean finishing, but are a little too much. Slightly out of balance. Bitterness definitely comes from hops. Clean finish, but just a little too hoppy. 3.0

M: Fairly thick and creamy, doesn't coat the mouth, but still isn't half bad. A little too clean though. 3.0

D: Minus being overly hopped, the beer is fairly drinkable. It wouldn't be my first choice as far as American stouts go, but it is still a very drinkable beer. 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with 2-finger foamy, brown head. No light passes through this beast.

Smell: Milk chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts and ... [fill in the blank]. That's probably it; not too complex, but smells very rich and smooth.

Taste: A strong milk chocolate flavor followed by mocha and roasted malts makes for a smooth, rich drink. However, flavor seems to be lacking that 'pop'. There's just nothing distinct or memorable about this one. Furthermore the aftertaste is that of an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Thick and milky with a pretty smooth aftertaste. Carbonation is a little too high. I've had better.

Drinkability: Very smooth. We were expecting something a little more challenging. We don't have any beef with this stout, however we can't see any reasons to seek it out again.

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No specific scent pulling through. Picking up mostly on burnt coffee bean. Leaves a bitter malty aftertaste that lingers for a few extra seconds. Meh.

12 oz from Bel-Air

A - Black, dark mocha head, which dissipates very quickly. Lt-moderate carbonation.

S - Dark cherry-chocolate. Light alcohol presence.

T - Dark coffee, grassy notes, lightly earthy, and light dark chocolate.

M - Lightly bitter and moderately dry.

D Good, but the mouthfeel is nothing special. Also the alcohol presence is slightly alarming in a 6.4 beer.

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

My tastes are usually more along the lines of hefeweizens and lagers, so take that into consideration here. I am always looking at expanding my repertoire and I've always been interested in stouts.
Popping a bottle of Obsidian open, as with most beers, I first notice the head. It is thick but it's the color that's more notable, a kind of really light umber tone, capping the impenetrably black body. It's smooth and I noticed a relatively low amount of carbonation in my glass. The flavor is primarily roasted malts, with the usual notes of coffee and cocoa (more than a straight chocolate). As one reviewer noted, there is a bit of a char to the flavor, especially in the aftertaste. Overall, I can see this as an easy-drinking stout; it almost seems a bit too thin, but I do like its cleanliness.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

On nitro-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.

The beer pours a deep, black color with a large nitro-induced tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, just as I expected. The flavor is where the nitro really takes away from the beer. I get quite a bit of chocolate and roasted malt, but the nitro thins out the mouthfeel and makes the beer taste watery. There is also a little bit of coffee in the flavor. Thin to medium, watery mouthfeel.

Hopefully I will be able to try this beer in the bottle or on regular tap so I can re-review it, since I am sure it is a better beer when not on nitro.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

A: The beer was a dark brown color, almost black; light didn't pass through the glass. There was a tan head that disappeared quickly and left practically no lacing on the glass.

S: I noticed roasted malt like in a porter. There was also a faint, bitter bite- possibly from the alcohol or hops?

T: The taste was primarily bitter and dry. Unlike other bitter beers I've drank, I noticed the bitterness mostly on my palate and tongue rather than on my throat. I couldn't taste any level of sweetness; I think some sweetness would have balanced the flavor better.

M: The mouthfeel was a medium thickness, not good or bad. It seemed appropriate for the style.

D: The beer was okay overall, but I probably won't drink it too much in the future. I sort of felt about it the same way I feel about India Pale Ales: I prefer American Pale Ales or Double IPAs, but IPAs are somewhat annoying to me. APAs are mostly balanced with a slight hop bitterness, and DIPAs are very hoppy and alcoholic. But IPAs are only hoppy, which I don't really like. In a similar way, with dark beers I prefer a sweet/balanced Porter or a big, complex Russian Imperial Stout, but Stouts are often just bitter. I guess I don't like bitterness to be the foremost characteristic of a beer, I like bitterness to only have a supporting role to the flavor profile.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

One dimensional and then. Ripest flavored nice but the clash with the hop bitterness.

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Had it a finally..
its an okay stout .. i have been wating to try it and finally i went down to a good spot looked on the wall and found they were serving it on nitro so i plopped down and had a glass

Taste: reminded of Black Butte porter in roastedness
Pour: didnt see it get poured so .. all i can say is its dark and lovely.. no head
Mouthfeel : bitter is very light.. can drink a few easily

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

This stout will make your poo dark.

Very dark coffee/ chocolatey bitter. A tad higher ABV for Deschutes mass-markteted brews. If you like Guiness, this may be a bit too dark and rough. Lacks the levity and smoothness.

Not bad, but not something worth discussing. Why am I here then? Oh yeah, because I'm drinking it now and was looking up my next serving, Sprecher's Double IPA (Oh boy, I don't like the looks of those reviews. Here I thought I was getting a bargain finding a few of these in the $9.99 build your own craft 6-er.)

Happy Thanksgiving.

3.29/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a bottle of this at a tiny shop in Honolulu. While the smell and look were on point, the taste was just too bitter for me. It left a nasty burned chocolate flavor in my mouth, wasn't a fan of it. I'd be willing to try it on tap, but for now, it's a no go for me.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Ralph's Deli & Grocery, Seattle, WA

Poured a thick, super dark and opaque pitch black with a one-finger, frothy, coffee-colored head that lasted and left some sticking lacing along the glass.

The aroma was rich, smooth and very sweet. Chocolate was quite apparent, with dark and milk chocolate and powdered cocoa notes all coming through at various points. Coffee was noticeable as well, along with sweet cream and vanilla. A touch of alcohol appeared as the beer warmed.

The taste was quite different from the aroma. Huge roasted malts came through up front along with a rather bitter, mineral-like quality. Roasted coffee was noticeable mid-palate. The huge, hoppy and espresso-like finish was powerful, slightly tannic, bitter and lingering. As the beer warmed, the bitterness intensified to the point of being overwhelming.

The mouthfeel was somewhat thin and a bit over carbonated.

Overall, this beer seemed to be a bit of a disappointment. While many may be attracted to its deep, roasted flavors, I found the bitterness to be too much to handle.

3.31/5  rDev -21.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

black as night with nearly an inch of tan head that leaves plenty of thin lace.

woody, smoky charred malt in the aroma, along with some floral, piney hoppiness. faint hints of bitter chocolate and some soy sauce as well.

roasted and chocolaty malts in the flavor with a bitter, smoky, lingering finish. medium body with a medium-high carbonation; seems like it should have a bit more weight to it. flavors are passable but stiffly bitter finish hurts the drinkability.

3.32/5  rDev -21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Good beer but not great.

Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery