Obsidian Stout - Deschutes Brewery

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 6.4%
IBUs: 55

220 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Obsidian Stout Alström Bros

Frankieteardrop, Apr 16, 2012

JBatman, Sep 21, 2012
1.44/5  rDev -65.7%

klol, Sep 21, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -60.7%

I agree with the akbelgianbeast, extremely overrated. it starts off with hints of epoxy, maybe some asphalt, the middle and finish have the taste and texture of some low-end cheap hairspray, and that nasty array of not so nice flavors lingers for far too long, this brew is definitely the shame of the DeSchutes line-up. bahh!

irishevans, Dec 15, 2007

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 19, 2014

monaquee, Apr 15, 2012

gelasin, Jun 28, 2014
2.59/5  rDev -38.3%

Appearance: Dark with a moderate foamy head
Smell: Molasses
Taste: I kept getting a taste that seemed familiar, but I couldn't figure it out until after I'd had this beer a few times. Then it hit me: Ashtray. A distinct taste that made me feel I'd poured an ashtray into my mouth.
Mouthfeel: Zesty
Overall: Ok, but the ashtray association was a little disconcerting.

Vickaroo, Jul 13, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

I cannot beleive this ranks in the 90's. An irishmen would ponder suicide if he drank this beer. It pours black and promising, the nose is standard for an american stout. The first sip has notes of black tar. Followed by a sweet sort of hairspray middle rounding out in a monarch vodka flavor. To me this beer is extremely overrated. If its your thing, then more power to you, but if you like true irish dry stout or american oatmeal stout then this beer is not for you. Give this beer to someone you hate for christmas. Or be nicer and give them some natty ice.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 15, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

Served on nitro-draught into a New Belgium goblet at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica, California. Cost was $4.00 USD plus tax. Reviewed from notes. Expectations were high given the serving type, brewery, and style - all of which I love.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice tan colour, good cream, slick smooth nicely thick foam, and excellent retention. Colour is a solid nontransparent black.

Sm: Roasted barley, cream, milk, and chocolate. A mild strength aroma.

T: Heavy cream is dominant, an effect of the nitro no doubt. Some underlying chocolate and rather tame roasted barley. I liked it better out of the bottle; it's a bit stale here. Dark malts form the foundation. Poorly balanced on nitro. The increased cream attacks the balance. I'm disappointed. It's not bad, but it's far from good. A bit simple and not subtle.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. A touch too thin. Very undercarbonated. Complements the flavour profile only moderately.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. Best from the bottle methinks. I wouldn't bother with it again on nitro-draught, but it might do better on-draught.

C-

kojevergas, May 20, 2012

jsh420, Dec 28, 2013

thelargeone, Aug 03, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

Overall: this was proabably my least favorite stout. It tasted like a typical west coast IPA mixed with a stout, and the result was the look of a stout and the taste of a Pale Ale. Maybe I had a bad batch because I drank 2 from the same 6 pack and they were identical? This is not something I would buy again.

A: typical stout darkness with nice tan head

S: I didn't pick up much of the roasted smells, or the coffee, malty smells either.

T: As I mentioned in my overall summary I just did not get the typical stout flavors that I enjoy - chocolates and coffees, toffees, caramels, roasted flavors. Instead it simply tasted like a typical Pale Ale. If I had closed my eyes I would have sworn it was a pale ale. I might say as the beer warmed up and if I let it sit in my mouth for just a bit I would get a little bit of a light coffee flavor, but almost unnoticeable.

M: perhaps some of the creaminess of a stout with the head, but definitely that thicker feeling that I get from other stouts.

94Sip, Dec 04, 2012

Anvilfarm, Nov 22, 2013

LaChupacabra, Apr 01, 2013

JayKay412, Sep 09, 2012

c00ller, Dec 21, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Very darkish red with a decent head retention and great lace that sticks to the sides.

S - Chocolatey with a floral or citrus smell that could be from the hops.

T - Different than most stouts I have had. Smooth at the very beginning but instantly transforms into bitterness from the crystal malts. There is a slight citrus flavor to it.

M - Medium bodied which is not something I expect from a stout. The beer doesn't coat the mouth for long.

O - Something that can only be enjoyed as a sipper, not because of the body but from he bitterness. I probably could only have one or two.

ProducerBRBeer, Nov 16, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

Reviewed 1/14/2010:

(Bottle BB 2/4/10): Pours a dark black color body, average tan head, somewhat lasting. Dark roasty aroma, alcoholy. Some sweetness, coffee. Funky taste, coffee aftertaste. Light body, somewhat watery. Some ash, but not heavy. A bit of wildness too. Not so tasty.

jujubeast6000, Feb 26, 2010