Obsidian Stout - Deschutes Brewery

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 6.4%
IBUs: 55

220 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001)
View: Beers (132) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Obsidian Stout Alström Bros
billhelm

04-18-2012 23:52:28 | More by zbooks
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into NB globe. Thanks to GatorBeerNerd!

A- Pours nice blackish brown color with a khaki colored. Head is an inch thick with stability that keeps it around to enjoy the party for awhile.

S- Weird dog biscuit aroma. Its a roasted fig dog biscuit beer. Not appetizing, but you can find the beer in there.

T/M- Very lackluster. No dog biscuit though! The roast comes through very dry with a touch of coffee. I do get a sweetness in there, almost fig, maybe prune? Alcohol flavor is also too prominent; not hot, but a fusely presence is invasive on the palate. Nice level of carbonation keeps the medium bodied liquid lighter and full of life on the tongue.

O- Somewhat disappointing. I expected more. It has the potential to be solid but comes up short in my mind. Maybe my expectations were just too high... I really don't think the beer sports the ABV

08-16-2011 02:51:24 | More by TheGordianKnot
Beaver13

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

12 oz bottle, best by 10/13/14. Pours dark brown black with a huge creamy light brown head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is dry chalky roast chocolate malts and some grains with a little coffee.

The flavor is burnt roast bitter chocolate malts with some coffee and a little sweetness and a fairly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation and a little watery.

Overall, some sweet chocolate and heavily roasted / burnt chocolate malts with a little coffee and a bitter burnt finish. A little too burnt for me.

06-20-2014 04:35:12 | More by Beaver13
NDPDuke

3.08/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz in a snifter via trade from Nitrogen (as always, thank you).

APPEARANCE: Dark black with a thin head, quickly disappears into the thick black

SMELL: Strong smell of chocolate, roasted malts and grain. Powerful smell.

TASTE: Smell of chocolate and malts. The taste isn't as strong as I expected. Wasn't as much there as the smell gave off. I guess I expected more from this beer.

MOUTHFEEL: To thin for stout for me. Too watery for me. Not quite what I expect.

DRINKABILITY: I Could sip this for awhile, but overall, I wouldn't want too many of these.

I expected more from this beer because of the reviews and all of the talk, but it really didn't do much for me. I honestly expected a lot more, but it really didn't do much for me.

02-21-2008 01:51:54 | More by NDPDuke
jvillefan

3.08/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I can see why they called it obsidian stout. Jet black body with a thick and heavy mocha colored head.

S: Not a big fan. It smelled like a chocolatey lager. There was intense chocolatey aromas but the soggy bready aromas were also very strong.

T: I'm not so sure why this beer is reviewed so highly. The malt has too mush sharpness from the roast. I love stouts but the roast is way too much. The lager soggy bready flavor matches that in the aroma. There is some chocolate flavors here as well.

M: Nicely carbonated and the body is a tad light for a stout but still good.

O: Know what this beer tastes like, I would not be disappointed if I never tried it. There are much better stouts available year round for less out there.

02-13-2013 04:52:28 | More by jvillefan
Mora2000

3.15/5  rDev -25%

On nitro-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.

The beer pours a deep, black color with a large nitro-induced tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, just as I expected. The flavor is where the nitro really takes away from the beer. I get quite a bit of chocolate and roasted malt, but the nitro thins out the mouthfeel and makes the beer taste watery. There is also a little bit of coffee in the flavor. Thin to medium, watery mouthfeel.

Hopefully I will be able to try this beer in the bottle or on regular tap so I can re-review it, since I am sure it is a better beer when not on nitro.

Serving type: nitro-tap

11-17-2011 18:57:22 | More by Mora2000
Frankcost

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Got this bottle from the make your own six pack door @ Top Ten Wine & Spirits in Woodbury, MN. Poured into a arrogant bastard pint glass

Pours a pitch black with a nice two finger mocha head that dissolves really quick

Smell getting some chocolate and Burnt coffee beans

Nice mouthfeel could of been a little heavier but it is very drinkable

I get the bitter chocolate and coffee bean with a little vanilla the hoppy bitter chocolate lingers in the after taste

It was pretty darn good but just a little to bitter for my liking. But a god one

04-24-2011 20:28:47 | More by Frankcost
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

From Notes:

A: Poured a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head, about half an inch thick that receded to a thin film. Almost entirely opaque. Decent lacing. 4.0

S: Very rich, chocolate, and dark roasted malts, slight coffee hints as well. Very noticeable piney hops, as well, add a clean dimension, but seem somewhat out of place. 3.0

T: Smoky, coffee flavors up front, with a nice bitter lingering. Relatively little chocolate flavor though, very subdued. Hops are very clean finishing, but are a little too much. Slightly out of balance. Bitterness definitely comes from hops. Clean finish, but just a little too hoppy. 3.0

M: Fairly thick and creamy, doesn't coat the mouth, but still isn't half bad. A little too clean though. 3.0

D: Minus being overly hopped, the beer is fairly drinkable. It wouldn't be my first choice as far as American stouts go, but it is still a very drinkable beer. 3.5

08-06-2008 02:44:10 | More by pokesbeerdude
ThreeWiseMen

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with 2-finger foamy, brown head. No light passes through this beast.

Smell: Milk chocolate and coffee. Roasted malts and ... [fill in the blank]. That's probably it; not too complex, but smells very rich and smooth.

Taste: A strong milk chocolate flavor followed by mocha and roasted malts makes for a smooth, rich drink. However, flavor seems to be lacking that 'pop'. There's just nothing distinct or memorable about this one. Furthermore the aftertaste is that of an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Thick and milky with a pretty smooth aftertaste. Carbonation is a little too high. I've had better.

Drinkability: Very smooth. We were expecting something a little more challenging. We don't have any beef with this stout, however we can't see any reasons to seek it out again.

08-01-2008 00:44:27 | More by ThreeWiseMen
humuluslupulus8

Arizona

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

A: The beer was a dark brown color, almost black; light didn't pass through the glass. There was a tan head that disappeared quickly and left practically no lacing on the glass.

S: I noticed roasted malt like in a porter. There was also a faint, bitter bite- possibly from the alcohol or hops?

T: The taste was primarily bitter and dry. Unlike other bitter beers I've drank, I noticed the bitterness mostly on my palate and tongue rather than on my throat. I couldn't taste any level of sweetness; I think some sweetness would have balanced the flavor better.

M: The mouthfeel was a medium thickness, not good or bad. It seemed appropriate for the style.

D: The beer was okay overall, but I probably won't drink it too much in the future. I sort of felt about it the same way I feel about India Pale Ales: I prefer American Pale Ales or Double IPAs, but IPAs are somewhat annoying to me. APAs are mostly balanced with a slight hop bitterness, and DIPAs are very hoppy and alcoholic. But IPAs are only hoppy, which I don't really like. In a similar way, with dark beers I prefer a sweet/balanced Porter or a big, complex Russian Imperial Stout, but Stouts are often just bitter. I guess I don't like bitterness to be the foremost characteristic of a beer, I like bitterness to only have a supporting role to the flavor profile.

12-21-2010 22:55:54 | More by humuluslupulus8
MisterClean

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz from Bel-Air

A - Black, dark mocha head, which dissipates very quickly. Lt-moderate carbonation.

S - Dark cherry-chocolate. Light alcohol presence.

T - Dark coffee, grassy notes, lightly earthy, and light dark chocolate.

M - Lightly bitter and moderately dry.

D Good, but the mouthfeel is nothing special. Also the alcohol presence is slightly alarming in a 6.4 beer.

04-13-2008 23:06:48 | More by MisterClean