Obsidian Stout - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 6.4%
IBUs: 55

220 calories per 12 oz serving
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,173 | Reviews: 1,022
3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

On nitro-tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano.

The beer pours a deep, black color with a large nitro-induced tan head. The aroma is full of roasted malt and chocolate, just as I expected. The flavor is where the nitro really takes away from the beer. I get quite a bit of chocolate and roasted malt, but the nitro thins out the mouthfeel and makes the beer taste watery. There is also a little bit of coffee in the flavor. Thin to medium, watery mouthfeel.

Hopefully I will be able to try this beer in the bottle or on regular tap so I can re-review it, since I am sure it is a better beer when not on nitro.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

A: The beer was a dark brown color, almost black; light didn't pass through the glass. There was a tan head that disappeared quickly and left practically no lacing on the glass.

S: I noticed roasted malt like in a porter. There was also a faint, bitter bite- possibly from the alcohol or hops?

T: The taste was primarily bitter and dry. Unlike other bitter beers I've drank, I noticed the bitterness mostly on my palate and tongue rather than on my throat. I couldn't taste any level of sweetness; I think some sweetness would have balanced the flavor better.

M: The mouthfeel was a medium thickness, not good or bad. It seemed appropriate for the style.

D: The beer was okay overall, but I probably won't drink it too much in the future. I sort of felt about it the same way I feel about India Pale Ales: I prefer American Pale Ales or Double IPAs, but IPAs are somewhat annoying to me. APAs are mostly balanced with a slight hop bitterness, and DIPAs are very hoppy and alcoholic. But IPAs are only hoppy, which I don't really like. In a similar way, with dark beers I prefer a sweet/balanced Porter or a big, complex Russian Imperial Stout, but Stouts are often just bitter. I guess I don't like bitterness to be the foremost characteristic of a beer, I like bitterness to only have a supporting role to the flavor profile.

Had it a finally..
its an okay stout .. i have been wating to try it and finally i went down to a good spot looked on the wall and found they were serving it on nitro so i plopped down and had a glass

Taste: reminded of Black Butte porter in roastedness
Pour: didnt see it get poured so .. all i can say is its dark and lovely.. no head
Mouthfeel : bitter is very light.. can drink a few easily

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

This stout will make your poo dark.

Very dark coffee/ chocolatey bitter. A tad higher ABV for Deschutes mass-markteted brews. If you like Guiness, this may be a bit too dark and rough. Lacks the levity and smoothness.

Not bad, but not something worth discussing. Why am I here then? Oh yeah, because I'm drinking it now and was looking up my next serving, Sprecher's Double IPA (Oh boy, I don't like the looks of those reviews. Here I thought I was getting a bargain finding a few of these in the $9.99 build your own craft 6-er.)

Happy Thanksgiving.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Obsidian Stout from Deschutes Brewery