Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

192 calories per 12 oz serving
to view more.
Ratings: 5,090 | Reviews: 1,415
4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Purchased in a growler - so I have tried it on multiple days! Yum!

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

*transferred from previous notes - 1/15/2014*
12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The smell of caramel apples comes through strong at the very beginning which subtly switches to a "candy" fruit punch smell (I couldn’t help but think of fruit punch Jolly Ranchers). This gave way to a milk chocolate, vanilla bean, toffee, and pie crust aroma with maybe a touch of ground coffee and grassiness. Near the end of the drink peanut butter cup smells start to become noticeable - needless to say, quite an aromatic adventure. Near the beginning, the fruit punch aromas become more pronounced with a couple swirls of the glass. Appearance-wise, it’s nothing too fancy standard tan head atop a dark brown-red body (not quite opaque) with some nice even lacing. Mild to medium chocolate sweetness combined with passion fruit flavors (more chocolate than fruit) hit the tongue initially followed shortly by a very light, but pleasant, toasted bread bitterness. It’s medium bodied, creamy, although not as much so as some stouts, and, at first, I thought it was relatively flat, but by mid-glass, the carbonation was a bit more alive. It finishes with a toasty, nutty, and grassy combination - maybe a trace of citrus too.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a porter!! A thing of beauty!

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer seemed a little on the light side to me. I expected the feel to be a little more full. Very good flavor. Great aroma. Overall very good.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer pours a nice creamy eggshell white head that dissipates quickly. The beer itself is an opaque black with some shades of brown. The porter looks pretty good with a nice slick texture that makes it look like it has some weight to it.

The beer smell is pretty good to with a strong dark chocolate note. The smell has some roasted notes but are easily dominated by the stronger chocolate note. Also, a slight hoppy smell and a bit of cinnamon exist as well.

The beer taste is actually pretty different from the smell. While it has the same notes, the beer taste has a stronger hop presence that also exists in the aftertaste. The hop presence does a very good job of counteracting what would otherwise be a strong chocolate note. The roasted malt notes also make an appearance but are covered by the other two notes,

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy and a little watery at the same time. The beer is definitely heavy bodied but is still fairly easy to drink.

Overall, a pretty good porter worth getting in the future.

2.69/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Great visual and herby aroma. Flavor seemed a little off. Somewhat bitter and it had small after taste of celery seed. It's nicely roasted, somewhat bitter but not over powering. The celery/earthy flavor note is somewhat to strong and not very pleasant.

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Agree with jeffsta1 review. Very good, easy drinking beer! Just expected a tad bit more. Would definitely buy again.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An exceptional porter. I'm impressed.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

The best porter I've tried and one of the best beers I've had. Tried on tap at Twin Peaks in Irving TX and it was so good I had to have another. An exceptional brew.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good coffee and chocolate base all the way through the finish. Very good porter.

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not sure if I keep trying too many beers at once but I didn't like this beer at all and I like porters. Was just blah and uneventful. Kinda bitter and bland.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Made the mistake of trying this right after a stout which made it seem almost too light. But the quality was obvious.

one of the best porters out there.

Toasty dark, easy drinking porter. Pours a dark color with a thick head. Right away you get that dark toasty smell on the nose.

The porter is my favorite style of beer.

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark black porter, good color. Head a pale tan. Just a bit thin.

Smell is ok.

Nice porter taste. Not quite as intense as I'd like, but everything there is good. Nice malt, cocoa. Not super bitter or stoutlike.

Perfectly good mouthfeel. Not heavy at all, mightn't mind a bit more weight but pleasant indeed. Almost sessionable.

A good porter. Not great but definitely good.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I am proud to rate Black Butte Porter as my 1,000 beer rating.

Black Butte Porter was one of three beers that got me into craft beers well over a decade ago. The wonderful aroma and flavor of coffee and chocolate showed me beer could actually be tasty and enjoyable. The beer remains a go-to for me to this day. I couldn't begin to count how many of these I've had over the years, and I'm sure there are plenty more in my future. Thank you, Deschutes.

3.34/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't get it and I want to...basic appearance basic smell for a porter..a touch of coffee a touch of chocolate but not to much..taste is not bad but not great kinda watery follows the nose,mild coffee mild chocolate that's it..it's very mild..I don't get the reviews on this beer I wish I did...B- all day for me..maybe I'm wrong...I know it's considered one of the best..

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

Porters are not my favorite but a local place had this for 2 dollars a pint so i gave it a try. Excellent beer

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark color. Medium heavy body. Tastes ok.

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have always loved this Porter, I guess I should write a review.

It looks : very dark chocolate brown body, no light penetrating. Head is almond colored and about 3 fingers tall. Leaves generous lacing on the sides have of the glass.

It smells : Cocoa bean, chocolate, earth, bread crust, hop. A nice bouquet and medium strength.

It tastes : charred and smoky earth, faint cocoa powder, some hop leaf, ending with notes of charcoal, grass, and charred cocoa.

It feels : somewhat flat and watery, but that could be freshly washed glass. Mildly carbonated, smooth, ends dry.

Overall : Always a good brew to have, halfway through my six pack and I'll buy one again when I run out. I always recommend it at our store.

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth, tasty porter, with sweet, caramel-like malt flavors. Definitely among my favorite porters, a classic.

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: dark brown with very thick creamy tan head
Smell: caramelly, roasty
Taste: medium roasty lightly sweet malt, fruity acidity, lightly floral, very balanced herbal hops character. flavors blend superbly
Feel: medium body and super smooth
Overall: Delicious. superbly balanced. very smooth. a textbook porter. If there is any criticism the flavors are on the lighter side, but often I enjoy that in a porter.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hands down my favorite porter!

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours out nice dark and thick.

S: I'm really not into smelling beers like that but I'm trying to be a critic it has a coffee/ roasted/ malt kind of smell to it.

T: It all boils down to taste and Black Butte Porter tastes great. Its sweet but not too sweet has a well balanced coffee taste. It's better than what I expected. Has a hint of chocolate or caramel to it also.

F: It does the job without feeling bloated or having to burp a lot like some cheap beers.

O: Great quality beer doesn't taste watered down. If you like porter style beers a must try to add to your collection.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Balanced, smooth... a classic porter.

to view more.