1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

Black Butte PorterBlack Butte Porter

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.20% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.2%
IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Butte Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,641 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
porterplease62

Oregon

picked up a six pack at wal-mart of all places.

rich chocolatey malty deliciousness. a slight tan head, though i like to pour mine with none at all. a taste of bitter citrus, but oh so smooth.

great on a cold winter day, or any day you feel like having a robust dark beer that's not too filling.

10-04-2010 07:04:48 | More by porterplease62
13smurrf

I am new to this so I am not sure how to do this,
the appearance was a very dark chocolate looking
with a nice head on it

smell, at this point in my drinking carrier I can't tell
but I know it smells very good

taste, so far it has been the best Porter that I have tasted

mouth feel -- I wish I had one right now!!!

drink ability- Deschutes has become my favorite brewery so far I have tried four kinds of beers from them and I have not been disapointed !!!

10-06-2010 00:54:34 | More by 13smurrf
acelin

Kansas

Poured into a Deschutes Pint Glass.

Pours a deep, rich brown with a nice tan head, large for a porter. Leaves a lot of lacing down the glass.

The nose is filled with smells of roasted barley, dark malted barley, and sweet coffee tones.

The flavor - I wasn't expecting this - is phenomenal. A rich flavor, with perfect balance between hops and these darker malts, in addition to the wonderful chewy texture and mouthfeel produces the most drinkable ,yet flavorful beer I've ever had.

All 5s across the board.

06-07-2011 23:32:43 | More by acelin
scottbrew4u

A: Pours a luscious black color with garnet highlights and great clarity with just the hint of light coming through. The head is a frothy towering tan spectacle that takes it's time settling. This beer leaves tremendous lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

S: Robust roasted malt aromas that hint of chicory, chocolate, ash, roasted nuts, and a touch of smoke. There is much depth there and it keeps from being overly roasted or burnt smelling. A nod to some earthy hops just to balance it all out. Wow deep breaths for this one and it lures you in even more.

T: Ashy, but not burnt, with chocolate and coffee with cream, chicory, and just a touch of smoke. Pleasant earthy and spicy hops ad such a nice bitterness with the dark roasted malt bitterness.

M: Velvety smooth medium to full body, with just enough carbonation for the style. It is right on for what a porter should be, smooth, luscious, but not too heavy.

D: So wonderfully balanced and deep for a porter. This beer just beckons you to drink. Especially delicious as it warms up a bit. Well done and so glad to have this one again after so many years! Overall the best porter I have ever experienced!

Serving type: growler

08-30-2011 00:44:55 | More by scottbrew4u
Pyramid_Head

Missouri

A personal favorite of mine. It had all the qualities i love in a beer, complex, smokey, a silky mouthfeel, a wonderful smell, and just enough bitterness.

Black Butte has a smokey taste with very strong undertones of very good chocolate, and by "Very Good" i mean actual chocolate. Not a cheap Hershey's, but a strong bitterness with a fruity coffee undertone. There is a smokey roastiness to the malt, and the silky mouthfeel trademark of good porters.

The good feelings Black Butte brought on are the standard by which i hold my beers. While money issues have kept me from experimenting as far as i'd like, i like to grab a six pack or a large bottle whenever i have the money.

09-22-2013 12:05:27 | More by Pyramid_Head
jabogyo

Washington

This is my favorite beer. It's chocolately, smooth, coffee flavor is matched perfectly by it's creamy texture and fullness. Simply put, I've never had anything as good as this beer. I make sure to have a six-pack in the fridge at all times, just in case. I grew up drinking the normal crappy light beers, but when my mind and tongue was opened up to some new experiences, I could never go back.

This beer has nearly ruined lager for me.

09-28-2013 17:17:28 | More by jabogyo
kdlz

Given a six pack bottled 13 days ago direct from brewery.

Poured into 12oz snifter.

A - pours a beautiful black, almost impervious to light with a 1 finger tan head.

S - smells of sweet chocolate and coffee

T - just as the nose, the mouth encountered beautifully sweet chocolate tastes with hints of coffee

M - smooth medium body, cream like texture

O - This beer has been a large desire of mine to try for some time and it did not disappoint. Just in time to have this before distribution hits my state. This beer is a must have and I can't wait to place it on tap at work.

01-08-2014 01:50:21 | More by kdlz
jellis00

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Black Butte Porter is my overall favorite American style Porter. Out of all of the Deschutes beers BBP is definitely my favorite. It is totally worth the time.

Appearance: Dark as the night, tan head.

Smell: Bold smell.

Taste: Full and subtle.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but with volume.

Drinkability: All day long.

11-01-2010 01:55:03 | More by jellis00
1JTannerMan

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

I purchased this on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Its appearance is deep brown and as close to black without being it as I think you can get (hence the name). The smell was very strong malt and chocolate.

I was most impressed with the taste however, It is very well balanced and very smooth. Probably one of gthe best for the style I have tasted. Strong malt flavor with a hint of burnt sugar or molasses.

This is definately one I would gladly pick up again in the near future.

06-03-2012 22:06:24 | More by 1JTannerMan
beermolly

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

This is an all around great tasting beer from start to finish. It pours out almost a black in color with a caramel color head. When you first take a drink it has a malt taste with a nice chocolate finish. The hops are just right not too much. It sometimes reminds me of eating an ice cream sandwich. The IBU’s: 30 and the alcohol by Vol.5.2%. It’s a wonderful beer you can drink all day. I like to think it’s the perfect breakfast or camping beer. I drink this beer everyday.

03-21-2007 00:39:17 | More by beermolly
joshsbeerblog

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

first things first, deschutes puts out some very appealing, simple labels that really draw you in. (also: purchase before date clearly printed on label, a feature that should be common, but isn't.)

a dark brown, kind of mysterious pour. lots of roasted malts, a little sweet caramel, and faint hops on nose... a full aroma for sure, and avoids cola-like smell of many porters.

malts are more burnt in taste, and finish is coffee. could not possibly be more perfectly balanced by bittering hops. very smooth, healthy carbonation, and medium-bodied.

full aroma and taste, easy drinking... not much more you can ask for. if i had to drink five beers for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

02-11-2009 00:49:43 | More by joshsbeerblog
Ruffio

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

A- Pours an attractive deep brown color and forms an off white head

S- Roasted with strong suggestions of chocolate, some coffee, and some earthy hints.

T- Strong in roasted malts, coffee and (of course) dark chocolate. Amazingly well balanced.

M- Medium mouthful and nice carbonation. Exceptionally smooth

O- This is the brew that got me into good beer and is still my all time favorite. This is also the beer I most often recommend for people interested in getting a taste of what craft breweries have to offer and rarely have they been disappointed.

10-28-2011 06:27:31 | More by Ruffio
IdrinkBeerinCollege

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

Easily my favorite beer of all time. Being an Oregonian, perhaps this factors into it, but that's besides the point.

Enjoyed in a big, thick-handled beer mug (if the handle wasn't thick, the power of the beer might very well break it)

Appearance: A very dark coffee-brown color, somewhat in between coffee and Guinness. Thick head (one and a half to two fingers) with a nice chocolatey and oily brown color.

Smell: Strong chocolate and coffee body, slightly malty, very sweet and extremely aromatic. Slightly bitter, sweet, and very bold.

Taste: Like the nectar from the teat of a god. Not as chocolatey as one might think, instead featuring a bold, dark, coffee taste that is slightly malty and comes on sweet, whilst finishing slightly bitter and coffee-like. Very hearty and thick, a great winter beer (or on a rainy day, so everyday here in Oregon!) to enjoy with a hearty meal.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly bitter, perfect amount of carbonation. Ends up leaving the mouth a bit dry but not too much so.

I implore you, drink up! Drink slowly though, because this guy sits in your gut and keeps you warm!

05-05-2013 09:09:13 | More by IdrinkBeerinCollege
burns1066

Iowa

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This may be my new favorite winter beer ever. It is malty without being cloying, robust without being overwhelming, and just tastes damn good. Chocolate, coffee... all those good things are present and the smell and taste are in near perfect alignment. I only gave a few lower than 5 ratings because there mut be something I'm missing... it's just too perfect. I must say, it's wonderful to not be kicked in the tongue with excessive hopping, too. I will buy this often.

01-21-2014 00:29:00 | More by burns1066
MrNuggets

Oh Porter,
Such fine service you sell.
I'll tip you a quarter
for work done so well.

"But what of this pail
delivered to you?
So full of dark ale,
I'd like some too!

Weakened by labour
my burden will stay.
A strong drink to savour
sustains me all day.

That smooth easy finish
refreshes me so.
See my mug deminish?
Back to work I go!"

Applaud & propel
make your stress shorter.
Goodbye & farewell,

06-05-2005 04:16:58 | More by MrNuggets
jjanega08

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

A= pours a nice black color that when held to the light has some nice deep amber highlights to it. The head is a nice finger high and is an off white color almost a mocha color and holds some decent retention before falling to a thin layer on top of the glass but does hold a little sticky lacing.

S= Really nice and roasty smelling. Some of the best roast I've ever smelled. Nice coffee smells that you don't get with a lot of porters. There is a little chocolaty goodness to it.

T= Very similar to the smell. A ton of roast to it and some of the best coffee flavors I've ever tasted in a porter. Awesome chocolate flavors to it. This takes over a lot of porters as my favorite in taste. Porters are one of my favorite styles

M= a nice light feel to it that coats nicely and leaves a nice lasting flavor in the mouth.

D= Delicious. Takes over Summits Porter as my new favorite. I love porters and I love the way they fit together without being too heavy and this is a nearly perfect example. Seek this out.

04-08-2010 02:11:31 | More by jjanega08
MissYaJim

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured into my favorite Arrogant Bastard glass..which all beers are poured into.

Loved the color

The smell was immediately dark chocolate

The taste reaffirmed of that chocolate smell. Incredible Chocolate/Coffee taste. To me this is a great example of a porter and how it differs slightly from a stout. A bit more accessible to the uninitiated.

Instant favorite

11-11-2010 02:23:23 | More by MissYaJim
amcmaho1

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Basically one of the beers that got me into craft, and subsequently one of my favorites; with which i have great sentimentality.

Appearance: Great big frothy off white/creme colored head, which dissipates rather quickly and leaves some lacing. The porter itself has a great neo-classical dense reddish brown body. A beautiful presentation.

Smell: Hints of vanilla and sweetness are faint on the nose. The smell isn't necessarily all that prevailing, and actually quite subdued. Where the smell has it's potential shortcomings, the taste makes up for it tenfold.

Taste: Rich, chocolaty, malty, sweet, bitter. A great complexity of flavor, working together, allowing each constituent element to shine through equally. The aftertaste is oaky and earthy, with plenty of interplay with the hops used.

Mouthfeel: The quintessential mouthfeel with this beer. Ample carbonation, mild stickiness and chewiness, and strong finish.

Drinkability: One of my all time favorite beers. drinkability is very very high.

12-04-2010 03:03:58 | More by amcmaho1
IceTrey9785

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Just moved to the west coast and was recommended this beer by a buddy I work with. Luckily, my discount went a long way at work, so getting a growler was a no-brainer.

A: Very dark brown almost black, reminiscent of dark chocolate or charcoal. The beer pours a great lacing with a head of at least a finger and a half. It lasts a while, with an off-white foam remaining.

S: Bitter coffee, smoked embers, dark chocolate all highlight the palate with a slight piney hint toward the end of the draw. Definitely a robust and flavorful porter.

T&M: Whoa -- the palate is full of a soft, silky, slightly milky texture that shows flavors of smoked hazelnuts, bittersweet chocolate and espresso. Rich and robust, the beer is medium bodied and relatively crisp for the style, given the hop character. The finish is long and remains about a minute and a half fully concentrated with cocoa and charcoal. A fantastic porter for any weather.

This might quite possibly be my favorite beer. I have had plenty of porters -- some are much more concentrated and heartier, some are more thin and extracted. This porter is the most balanced darker ale that I have ever tasted. I tried this beer in the bottle and the comparison was non-existent. Anybody who can find a Total Wine with this on the growler station will experience a life-changing brew. This beer is simply perfection.

Serving type: growler

09-01-2012 05:17:49 | More by IceTrey9785
GossageBrewery

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this American Porter from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a dark brown color, produced an outstanding tan head, featured excellent retention and some of the best lacing I have ever seen. The aroma contained sweet milk chocolate, roasted malt and some earthy hops. Full bodied, the first thing that hits you before even the taste does, is how smooth and creamy this beer is- A foundation of roasted grain, some chocolate, and coffee flavor to boot. The finish is semi dry with floral hops and alcohol as you swallow. Hands down, the best Porter I have ever tried.

10-05-2012 20:52:22 | More by GossageBrewery
Auraan

Arizona

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured a very dark brown or light black with a one finger, off-white head. Scents of roast malt, chocolate and black coffee. Flavors of rich roast malt, hints of black coffee and rich chocolate notes. Low carbonation and a smooth, creamy mouthfeel make it easy to drink, one of the smoothest drinking experiences I've had. Excellent porter. Well worth trying.

03-14-2013 04:46:50 | More by Auraan
WissBrauSean

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

I poured this black beaut-y at about 55 degrees F into a standard pint and she poured such a lovely dark brown to black with a full one finger creamy khaki head that lasts as a thick ring and thin cap and leaves leopard skin lacing on the glass. SEXY!

I'm not even going to read what those folks on BA are saying. The first guy on there mentions strong citrus. LOL

Sorry, I don't smell any citrus but what I do smell is roasted and chocolate malts with hints of vanilla, a bready yeast and some hop acidity. It's freaking brilliant! As a matter of fact, I take that back, after sounding like an ass in lambasting the citrus comment, one could make out that hop acidity as that! I'm a turd.

I taste heaven in a glass. Toasted chocolate malts and vanilla dance with a very mild wood smoke flavor and bready yeastness and finish finally with a mild and earthy dry hop taste that begs your elbow to again bend and bring that glass to your lips, your tongue and drink in this black beauty.

Now let me talk about how sweet her body is! She is a medium to full bodied beer thinner than some but with creamy sweet hips making her much easier to drink than some that would kill you with candy and she has kept a bit of the dry sense of English humor as an homage. I'm in love. Playful yet not bubbly, what else could you want in a dark lady like her?

I had to excuse myself for a minute there and have a cigarette. Overall, I would recommend her to everyone, but would be totally jealous and want to keep her for my own as she is a world class beauty! Solid and dependable. I have missed my Black Butte-y!

05-21-2013 01:43:51 | More by WissBrauSean
The_Mancannon_of_Slothrop

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: All in all, not a whole lot different from the company's similarly impressive stout. Dark brown, soda-ish color. Not a whole lot to speak of in terms of lacing, even less in terms of a head, but what is there lasts.

S: Milk chocolate and vanilla dance a creamy tango. Maybe a hint of sweet and bitter fruit dried, i.e. raisins. Whatever the case may be, it's very, very, very dessert-y.

T: Even after an impressive appearance and smell, this caught me off guard. Whereas the smell betrays equal parts vanilla and chocolate, taste certainly tips the scales in favor of vanilla. A ballsy move for a porter. Dark chocolate is certainly there too, a smidge of peanut butter, as is--dare I say--an almost Belgian fruity presence. Extraordinarily rich, even, and complex.

M: Dry but not overwhelmingly so. Bitter but not overwhelmingly so. It is impressive in every regard, but does show restraint. More sippable and sessionable than Deschutes' stout, but still bows to no one.

O: A stunner. It is impossible--as you can see--not to compare this bad boy with Deschutes' Obsidian Stout, and while it may not reach those levels, what should be realized is that it does not have those ambitions. Creamy, complex, and perfectly dark, with an out of this world wow factor, this is a world-class porter made by what I'm coming to realize is a world-class brewery. For just over 7 bucks a sixer, it's hard to beat a session of these.

07-06-2013 01:36:32 | More by The_Mancannon_of_Slothrop
Seven

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very dark in apearance. The Smell is a bold blend of Coffee, Malt and a little bit of licorice. The taste is very smooth and creamy, a mixture of the above mentioned. Medium carbonation with a slight feel of the Hops. I would have to conclude this is the best Porter I have had the privaledge to review. Most other Porters I have had, have not blended the whole flavor as well as Deschutes brewery has done. Very excellent Porter.

01-30-2013 19:08:31 | More by Seven
Dwtucker90

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed from a 12 ounce bottle poured into a Brooklyn Brewery Tulip glass.

Look: Pour very dark, deep brown and black pour. 1 inch head, medium brown.

Smell: Needs some time to warm up for the whole bouquet to come out. Lite alcohol. Dark roasted malts with a medium dark chocolate smell along with hints of coffee and dark fruit.

Taste: needs warming but tastes the same as it smells. Very balanced, lots of different smells cone out.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation. Finishes very well. Very slick and smooth without being thin.

Overall a really good balanced porter. One of the best.

03-26-2013 04:11:18 | More by Dwtucker90