2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

Black Butte PorterBlack Butte Porter

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.20% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.2%
IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 3,648 | Reviews: 1,279 | Show All Ratings:
titty_mcbitty

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Very dark black and a khaki head. This is a very dark beer. No wonder they give it its name.

S: Charred oats, bitter chocolate, malt.

T: Charred oats as said. Burnt chocolate, some hops, biscuit, toast, malt. Honestly I'm not too keen on the taste. It's a great beer no doubt, but I don't see what the hype is about.

M: Medium to thick-ish. Kind of a rough velvety feel.

O: A great brew, but like I said: the flavor on this one isn't my favorite. It's a bit too charred for me- as if the malts were a tad over done. I liked the beer overall, though.

03-08-2014 04:17:19 | More by titty_mcbitty
Or80rowley

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the go to beer

A. Dark, almost opaque, 1 finger Carmel colored head

S. Coco first, little smoke, some coffee

T. I get lightly roasted coffee first, middle has nice coco, end leaves a slightly bitter malty grain flavor. Yummy

M. Creamy, smooth, clean fairly dry finish.

O. I love this one, & the price is right too!

01-05-2014 01:25:34 | More by Or80rowley
jabogyo

Washington

This is my favorite beer. It's chocolately, smooth, coffee flavor is matched perfectly by it's creamy texture and fullness. Simply put, I've never had anything as good as this beer. I make sure to have a six-pack in the fridge at all times, just in case. I grew up drinking the normal crappy light beers, but when my mind and tongue was opened up to some new experiences, I could never go back.

This beer has nearly ruined lager for me.

09-28-2013 17:17:28 | More by jabogyo
rashley

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Was on tap, served in mug.

Appearance was dark brown almost black. Head was about 2 fingers and did not pay attention to or notice any lacing. Maybe I forgot to look.

Smell was a malty, coffee type of smell.

The first thing that hit me was the hops. Not excessive, but it was prominent, without being bitter. I liked that. I kept looking for a chocolate taste, but I think a coffee taste was closer. Carbonation gave a slight bite to the tongue.

Mouthfeel was about right to me, without being too watery or thick.

Overall this beer is now on my list of beers to try again.

09-12-2013 02:49:53 | More by rashley
Furlinator

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours dark brown with 1/2 inch of khaki head.

Smell is of chocolate and creamy vanilla.

Taste is less chocolaty than the smell and a sweet faint vanilla flavor sneaks in toward the end.

Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy yet, remains refreshing with medium carbonation.

A solid example of American porter.

09-04-2013 09:55:18 | More by Furlinator
Bob1966

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Dark, like Cola, but not as dark as Guinness. A slight bit of light appears at the edges of the glass as dark, dark red. The head is slightly off white tending toward tan. Lacing on the glass is apparent as the Porter disappears.

Aroma - Malty, roasted, and toffee notes. Very little hop aroma is evident, as it should be for a porter.

Mouthfeel - A pleasant, full bodied effect. Not too much carbonation.

Taste - Sweet, but not overly so. Enough bitterness has been imparted by the hops to balance the maltiness. No harshness at all. A nice amount of roasted chocolate malt is evident, lending a nice overall taste for a porter.

Overall- Excellent Porter! Definitely a winner, and I'll be sure to have another one soon! If only I could reproduce this in my home brew as well!

08-19-2013 22:32:08 | More by Bob1966
ThePaintedGrey

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Served in a pint glass, on tap at Pinocchio's Pizza in Media, PA.

A: "Black" is a bit of a stretch for this brew, but it's a very deep, dark brown with faint hints of ruby as the bright sunlight shines through. Two-finger tan head eventually fades down to a creamy, thin cap, leaving okay amounts of lacing down the glass. I was hoping the head retained a little better, but it wasn't disappointing enough to score too lowly.

S: There are a few really prominent notes to the nose, namely roasted malts, a bit of roasted coffee bean, and some dark semi-sweet chocolate. Some brown sugar and anise or licorice hints underneath it all. I'm not picking up much of the hops (or any hint of real bitterness, for that matter), but that's perfectly okay with me. The aroma is pleasant and well-rounded as is.

T: Abnormally rich flavors on this one! Roasted malts, roasted (almost bordering burnt) coffee beans. Hints of brown sugar sweetness come through, melded with some dark chocolate notes offering a hint of bitterness to balance out the sweetness and round-out the initial roastiness.

M: Mild carbonation and pleasantly creamy. A relatively low ABV means the alcohol isn't overly present here. This brew boasts a great mouthfeel, but isn't as "big" as I had hoped. Though, the thinner, less syrupy body gives this one true session potential.

O: Black Butte Porter offers excellent, well-rounded flavors with a smooth-as-silk texture. I found myself enjoying each sip more and more, and before I knew it, I was ready to order another! Its low alcohol content and medium body keeps this one relatively light and very, very sessionable! I can't help but consider this one of my favorite brews (of any style) to date. I can definitely see me sessioning with this beauty in the future.

07-11-2013 04:01:37 | More by ThePaintedGrey
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pint into a plastic beaker at Jack's in the cannery, San Fransisco. Plastic container because it was 3 Feb 2013 and Super Bowl day (the 49ers were later to blow the whole thing).

This was the third and final draught beer I had here: I hate plastic containers for beer drinking.

Dark isn't it, with a full tanned foaming head: almost looked good (despite the plastic cup).

Malts with a hop presence I wasn't expecting: nice blend in the nose and taste. Chocolate and coffee notes throughout, very pleasant.

Almost rich and creamy in texture, easy to drink and a beer I'd willingly have again (out of a glass though).

06-01-2013 18:14:25 | More by BlackHaddock
Bouleboubier

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

it took me some convincing from the locals and several itinerant beer drinkers around Bend to finally give this a go - took me drinking the stuff 2 or 3 times before I really caught on to how good a porter this is

A: very dark brown liquid with burgundy highlights.... somewhat spongy off-white foam, sticks to the glass fairly well, keeps a medium-thick collar

S: mostly the deep roast of the chocolate malt matched with a mineral water quality... mild citrus peel pungency in hops, swimming in a sea of vaguely-herbal (or old licorice?), molasses-y malt

T: all about the dark-malty richness.... subtle, clean bitterness, dark grape esters, complex interplay of dark-roasted flavors imparted from the chocolate and crystal (and also from the yeast, if they're in fact using the yeast I've read they use - Ringwood)

M: threat of molasses-y viscosity - it does seem to have a swell mid-sip... in the end, the silky-sweet malt body is just about perfectly supple, clean, and smooth.... perhaps a passing feeling of graininess on the edges, but I'd imagine that's attributable to the hop and roast bitterness... has substance and drinkability in tandem

O: sadly, I didn't have another one - seems like there was more to discover.... pretty solid recipe and execution.... until next time....

05-20-2013 23:09:22 | More by Bouleboubier
Muhly

Alberta (Canada)

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into a tulip glass (thanks Accent Lounge!)

A-opaque black with a good two fingers of tan head. Head recedes to a thin layer pretty quickly but that thin layer holds its ground throughout. Lacing is strong and prominent.

S-a hefty dose of roasted dark malts, coffee, and molasses.

T-roasted coffee and grains.

M-carbonation is more prominent than I had expected. This makes it a slightly lighter mouthfeel, but the overall effect is nice and refreshing.

O-a complex and intensely roasted, dark porter. Excellence in a glass.

03-24-2013 05:04:05 | More by Muhly
Ilafan

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

One of my absolute favorite porters out there, at least for now. My beer palate, I have found, is an ever-changing entity. But this one has been on my "radar" for quite a while.

POUR: Absolute black. Gorgeously black, in fact. No light shined through. The head was a thick, long-lasting tan with excellent lattice.

Smell: I broke my nose in the late 80's, so maybe my sense of smell is also broken. I smelled nothing with this.

Taste: Why we drink beer, right? LOVE this! Sweet and sugary with hints of chocolate and coffee, although the coffee did not dominate or overwhelm in any way. The relatively low alcohol rate also contribute to the taste.

Overall, this is a porter I would buy and enjoy again.

03-23-2013 21:07:35 | More by Ilafan
ClarkHimself

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Had this on tap at Deschutes' brew-pub in Portland, OR. I actually ordered a Bomb Squad Porter on the engine, but was mistakenly given Black Butte instead. I fortunately didn't return it, as this was easily one of the best beer experiences of my time as a craft beer drinker.

Was served in a tall lager glass. Very dark, carmel color with a tan head that held for a minute or so before slinking to a thin cover. Smells of chocolate and hops, which was odd for what I was expecting from a porter. There's a faint hint of coffee as well. Taste is... just... wow. Delicious porter characteristics of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee-burntness. Then there is a bit of a hop snap that just ties everything together like no other porter I've ever had. Leaves a really nice, subtle sweetness that just makes me want to take another gulp. I couldn't get over how much I enjoyed the taste of this brew. Mouthfeel was really smooth, very easy drinking beer.

Deschutes Black Butte is easily the best porter I've ever had, and up there as one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Awesome.

02-20-2013 21:04:28 | More by ClarkHimself
watsonmd

Georgia

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: nice dark pour, pilsner glass. Slight head, little lacing.

S: coffee, chocolate.

T: similar to nose. Slight medicinal flavor/ bitterness cherry flavor

M: carbonated, lighter feel than taste.

O: would drink again. Might consider aging if available in bottle.

02-18-2013 02:11:43 | More by watsonmd
Fatehunter

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a 14 oz glass. One finger of head on a black body.
The smell is all roasted malt, which is great.
The taste is roasted malt, coffee and milk. It's deep and bold.
The texture is smooth with low carbonation and medium body.
It's a robust porter with great flavor.

01-25-2013 05:02:59 | More by Fatehunter
frankiepop

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Named after a very interesting mountain to view, I believe found at Yellowstone. This beer is a also an interesting dark brown blackish beer with strong lacing. The creamy thin head really hung around for a long time giving a nice soft texture and mellowness to the beer. Nice Bistro choice! Mildly sweet porteresque aroma. I caught a nice milk chocolate whiff. This one was served pretty cold and delivered a smooth drink with moderate carbonation. Nice.

Malty flavors with a hint of coffee. Unlike a many Porters, it was not so sweet, not as sweet as the aroma might have suggested, but a nice balance of flavor though. Butte is an easy porter, subtle. A dry baker's chocolate comes through but inconsistently. Nevertheless, Butte is a refreshing porter, interesting and mellow. Butte doesn't slap you silly with flavor. No, you sip and ponder this one for the hints. It's a worthy comparison to the far bolder and thicker sister labeled as Deschutes Obsidian Stout.

In summary... I like Black Butte. I cannot lie. Black Butte - Black Butte - Black Butte.

Black Butte Porter should have been the official Miles Davis Bitches Brew. Not that shit brewed by that joke of a brewery on the east coast. Of course Sir Mix A Lot would be a 2nd option and a good option at that. Just depends on your mood.

09-08-2012 03:37:03 | More by frankiepop
mikeg67

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. Pours black with creamy, long lasting off-white head. Aroma is bready, toasted malt, hints of coffee and dark fruit. Body is medium creamy and smooth. Taste is toasted malt, hints of coffee, chocolate and dark fruit. I expected much more from this brew.

08-24-2012 15:26:55 | More by mikeg67
beerphan

At Umami burger i be Santa Monica
Appears a coppered brown with ruby highlights. Small head settles to scattered suds and leaves small dots of lace.
Nose roasted Coffee and cocoa

Classic porter roast. Leaves mouth dry and nutty. Thin to mediym body
Hmm good

08-10-2012 23:55:23 | More by beerphan
TheRealBigC

Nevada

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Black Butte is surely one of the best porters out there. Typical deep body with a nice and long-lasting head. Coffee and biscuit notes on the nose. It's got a mild hop character that peeks in every now and then just to add a little something extra. It's not in-your-face, but it's flavorful and balanced.

08-04-2012 00:43:40 | More by TheRealBigC
CaptDavyJones

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this on-tap at The Yardhouse in San Diego and was served in a pint glass.
Dark brown color with ruby red hues and some light penetration along the sides. Appearance was almost like a cola.
Thin one finger off-white colored head that dissipated fairly quickly.
Aroma is a very nice blend of roasted malt, some notes of smokiness, chocolate malt balls and some espresso. Very pleasant and inviting aroma.
Taste is almost similar to the aroma, with nice sweetness upfront. The sweetness is very well balanced with the grainy notes and some bitter roasted malt/coffee notes. Very tasty, flavorful and easy drinking porter.
Almost medium-bodied mouthfeel to this porter. Not a lot of lacing along the insides of the glass.
Overall, this is a really good porter. Too bad I cannot get this in central NY or this would be one of my 'go-to' porters.
Definitely worth a try and comes recommended...Cheers!!!

05-25-2012 00:36:24 | More by CaptDavyJones
Gatch

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap at Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix during the Deer Tick show on May 3rd.

A: Dark black. Off-white head. Typical Porter look.

S: Sweet, malty, a bit of chocolate and roasted malt.

T: Heavy, sweet, roasted malt. Hops come through in the finish which is a surprise and very welcomed. One of the hoppier Porters in recent memory.

M: Smooth, sweet, delicious.

O: Damn good Porter that I could drink daily.

05-05-2012 18:29:12 | More by Gatch
dbrauneis

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Served on tap at Public House (Venetian) in Las Vegas, NV

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black in color with some reddish highlights and very light hints of visible carbonation near the surface of the beer. The beer has a finger tall tan head that reduces but leaves a thick film over the surface of the beer with a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The aroma is of dark roasted malts with some hints of dark/bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Very inviting.

T: The taste really follows the smell with the main components being the dark roasted malts, dark/bittersweet chocolate, and the coffee. The beer has some very nice complexity to the flavor with just a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium to full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

O: Very enjoyable and very much a beer that I would like to enjoy again...makes me jealous of the states that the brewery distributes to since I do not live in one. I really enjoyed the complexity of the flavor and would love to have more than one of these in a session.

05-03-2012 05:56:40 | More by dbrauneis
DocJitsu

Pours a very dark brown with glints of red in the light. Has a creamy light tan head with decent retention. Rich lacing on the glass. Dark roasted malts, sorghum, and dark chocolate aromas. Nice, creamy mouthfeel. Dark chocolate, heavy cream, without the usual coffee acidity one gets from a porter like this one. Nice sweet lactose makes this a pillowy sweet porter. Very good beer.

04-01-2012 21:15:58 | More by DocJitsu
jbertsch

2.45/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Finally got a chance to try this while in Las Vegas, (It was on tap at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant in the MGM) but walked away very disappointed. For all the hype I didn’t see how this porter was anything above mediocre at best…and I mean at best.

The aroma and flavor were quite boring. I only smelled a little nutty earthiness, and the taste was similar, with maybe faint notes of chocolate and molasses but overall quite tame and lifeless. I wish it was a little richer. What surprised me the most was its almost watery mouthfeel. This was a big letdown for me. I can’t imagine ever reaching for this one again, but a part of feels I should try it again just in case there was some funny business going on at the restaurant….my friend shared the same thoughts about it.

03-26-2012 19:12:22 | More by jbertsch
nataku00

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap poured into a shaker pint glass. Beer pours a dark brown, opaque bordering on black, with a finger of creamy light brown head. Head retention was excellent maintaining about half a finger of creamy head with sticky lacing for over half the glass while drinking it.

Nose is roasted malt, dark roasted coffee, and semi sweet chocolate. As it warmed a bit, a hint of citrus hops come through.

Taking a sip, a light citrus hop bite, before a lot of roasted malt and coffee flavor, mostly bitter and astringent. A touch of sweet chocolate helps balance it out a bit. Finish is fairly clean, light roasted malt flavors.

Medium body, creamy due to the carbonation. Very easy to drink and enjoyable porter.

03-19-2012 01:42:21 | More by nataku00
TheSixthRing

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap at Beer Gardens in Folsom.

Appearance - Pours a dark, cola brown with reddish hue on the outer edges. The head is an off-white tan, and leaves behind a sparse but sticky lace.

Smell - Lots of chocolate, roasted malt, and faint coffee.

Taste - Big chocolate with some bitterness, subtle coffee notes, and a nice, sweet caramel undertone to give this porter great balance.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, creamy to begin, then a nice, tingly carbonation tickles the tongue. Slightly dry on the finish.

Overall - One of my favorite porters, and a classic at that. This beer goes a long way in defining what an American Porter is and should be.

03-08-2012 18:04:57 | More by TheSixthRing