Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 5.2%
IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Butte Porter Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Being a fan of darker beers I decided to try this on a whim. I'm glad I did, because this brewery is now on my list of favorites.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the head immediately sprung up, almost overwhelmingly so, though I tend to have a heavy hand while pouring. I had about two fingers of creamy brown head that dissipated very slowly, clinging to the sides of the glass. The color of the beer itself is a dark brown, almost black, that is a brownish-ruby when held to the light, and it's pretty clear, no clouding that I can see. Not much carbonation, but that's fine; I'm not drinking soda.

Taking a deep whiff I smell the dark brown notes of this beer; some coffee, some chocolate, and a little bit of earth, with just a tinge of hops and some more sweet caramel malt. I immediately taste more chocolate and caramel, and rolling the beer around in my mouth reveals a little taste of alcohol. After swallowing the earthy bitterness of the hops comes through, and the chocolate flavor gives way to a coffee finish. Mouthfeel is good and thick, a little foamy. It's heavy without being overwhelming, which I'm glad for.

Overall I'm impressed with this beer. The guys over at Deschutes didn't try do do anything overly fancy, but instead stuck to the basics and crafted a darned fine beer. This will be my benchmark for porters until I taste something better.

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery