Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

American Porter |  5.20% ABV

Alc. by Vol.: 5.2%
IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Butte Porter Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle

A - Dark black-brown with a small tan head.

S - Roasted, smokey malt. Light milk chocolate, toasted bread, and coffee.

T - Toasted burnt malt mixed with a mellow smoke/wood flavor. Sweetness is balanced by a light, earthy roasted bitterness. Hints of chocolate, whipped cream and coffee.

M - Smooth, a bit chalky, light-mild carbonation. A bit too thin overall. It's not watery, but there is something lacking here.

O - This is a pleasant, very easy drinking porter. Great balance. Nothing too special, but it would make a really good beer to session and drink with friends/family.

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I have had this beer before, and have always been impressed with it. I actually tell people this is the only beer this brewing company should make. It is one of their flagship beers, and one of their best to date. Some of their limited releases are good, but nothing to write home about. This one is just a good daily drinking beer that I will/have ordered time and time again. Pretty sure Sheryl just ordered a bottle this weekend. I am having a really busy day, but found some time this evening to break and drink. So… let's drink!

In the Glass: This beer is black as night, and has a nice thin tan head that just sits there for a few minutes. It's not thick, even though I poured this cold, and it is just sitting there begging to be consumed. Oh, big news for me. Well, I think it is big news. A few days ago, last week actually, I took and passed the certified beer server test. So… I am now a certified beer server! That is the first level of to becoming a cicerone, and is something that I really want to accomplish in my life. Not sure master cicerone is in the cards… only six of those in the world. But I am pretty sure, with enough training, can become a certified cicerone. Anyway, back to the beer.

Nose: There are a ton of malts up front, and then the finish is a burnt dark chocolate aroma that reminds me of dark candy bars I used to eat growing up. I never liked dark chocolate, but that has changed over the years. Of course, my dark chocolate wasn't in a glass back then! I remember eating candy bars while playing golf. Now I eat energy bars, but still. That is what this beer makes me think of. This beer will also be the beer of the week at Total Wine & More. (Did I tell you guys about the beer of the week we are running at Total Wine & More in Scottsdale?)

Flavor: Those same malts I was smelling hit the front of the palate, and becomes nice a creamy as it slides across my palate. I am going to let this heat up a little bit, but I am impressed with how creamy it is. Not thick… just creamy. I like that word. Creamy. On my second sip, I swished the second sip around for a few seconds, and while it became overly carbonated, it did open up some more chocolate flavors. I bet this, barrel aged, would do well. Do they age this? Hmm… they should!

Mouthfeel: Creamy. I bet you knew that was coming! This beer is, at first, thin and cold (drinking it cold) and as I begin to swallow, the beer really opens up and offers a nice creamy flavor that I didn't expect. The burp is nice, too. Do you like how, when I burp, I tell you what I am experiencing. Part of the package we offer here on 1001 Bottles!

Aftertaste: For a beer that is this affordable, I am impressed with the finish and the aftertaste. It doesn't late a long time, but what sticks around are those soft drying malts that I could smell the second I poured this bottle. You can sometimes find this on sale, too. Like at Total Wine & More. (Consider that a plug for one of the blog sponsors. I wonder if anyone at Total Wine even reads this blog…)

This is a good beer from a consistently good brewing company that I wasn't able to get back east. There are a few bottles from them on our list, including some BA beers and some that are not even ready to drink according to the label. Most beer isn't intended to be consumed fresh. Hey, buy it now… drink it in a year! OK, sign me up. Black Butte Porter is great, and because of this beer, I am going to plan a long weekend to Bend so we can see/drink this stuff at the source. Cheers!

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Very dark amber colour with attractive, sizeable off-white head

S - Fantastic. Sweet, roasted malt smell, a mix of chocolate, coffee, toast

T - Starts with some smokey, chocolatey sweetness. A little bit of fruity raisin taste. Finishes with bitter, roasted tangy coffee flavour. A slight earthy hop in the background. Very satisfying.

M - Surprisingly thin. A small, perfect amount of carbonation.

O - An incredibly enjoyable porter, I will definitely drink this again.

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Nice and dark. Foam head is light and creamy, but a little thin.

S - Hints of chocolate and caramel.

T - Chocolate and malty. Not noticing the hops so much.

M - Creamy and smooth.

O - Not quite as flavorful, creamy, or hop intense as the Founders Porter. Still a very good porter and

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%

Easily my favorite beer of all time. Being an Oregonian, perhaps this factors into it, but that's besides the point.

Enjoyed in a big, thick-handled beer mug (if the handle wasn't thick, the power of the beer might very well break it)

Appearance: A very dark coffee-brown color, somewhat in between coffee and Guinness. Thick head (one and a half to two fingers) with a nice chocolatey and oily brown color.

Smell: Strong chocolate and coffee body, slightly malty, very sweet and extremely aromatic. Slightly bitter, sweet, and very bold.

Taste: Like the nectar from the teat of a god. Not as chocolatey as one might think, instead featuring a bold, dark, coffee taste that is slightly malty and comes on sweet, whilst finishing slightly bitter and coffee-like. Very hearty and thick, a great winter beer (or on a rainy day, so everyday here in Oregon!) to enjoy with a hearty meal.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly bitter, perfect amount of carbonation. Ends up leaving the mouth a bit dry but not too much so.

I implore you, drink up! Drink slowly though, because this guy sits in your gut and keeps you warm!

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery