Black Butte Porter - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2001

Alc. by Vol.: 5.2%
IBUs: 30

192 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Butte Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,419 | Hads: 5,344
4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

The best porter I've tried and one of the best beers I've had. Tried on tap at Twin Peaks in Irving TX and it was so good I had to have another. An exceptional brew. (165 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not sure if I keep trying too many beers at once but I didn't like this beer at all and I like porters. Was just blah and uneventful. Kinda bitter and bland. (157 characters)

Toasty dark, easy drinking porter. Pours a dark color with a thick head. Right away you get that dark toasty smell on the nose.

The porter is my favorite style of beer. (172 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark black porter, good color. Head a pale tan. Just a bit thin.

Smell is ok.

Nice porter taste. Not quite as intense as I'd like, but everything there is good. Nice malt, cocoa. Not super bitter or stoutlike.

Perfectly good mouthfeel. Not heavy at all, mightn't mind a bit more weight but pleasant indeed. Almost sessionable.

A good porter. Not great but definitely good. (376 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I am proud to rate Black Butte Porter as my 1,000 beer rating.

Black Butte Porter was one of three beers that got me into craft beers well over a decade ago. The wonderful aroma and flavor of coffee and chocolate showed me beer could actually be tasty and enjoyable. The beer remains a go-to for me to this day. I couldn't begin to count how many of these I've had over the years, and I'm sure there are plenty more in my future. Thank you, Deschutes. (456 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I don't get it and I want to...basic appearance basic smell for a porter..a touch of coffee a touch of chocolate but not to much..taste is not bad but not great kinda watery follows the nose,mild coffee mild chocolate that's it..it's very mild..I don't get the reviews on this beer I wish I did...B- all day for me..maybe I'm wrong...I know it's considered one of the best.. (374 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have always loved this Porter, I guess I should write a review.

It looks : very dark chocolate brown body, no light penetrating. Head is almond colored and about 3 fingers tall. Leaves generous lacing on the sides have of the glass.

It smells : Cocoa bean, chocolate, earth, bread crust, hop. A nice bouquet and medium strength.

It tastes : charred and smoky earth, faint cocoa powder, some hop leaf, ending with notes of charcoal, grass, and charred cocoa.

It feels : somewhat flat and watery, but that could be freshly washed glass. Mildly carbonated, smooth, ends dry.

Overall : Always a good brew to have, halfway through my six pack and I'll buy one again when I run out. I always recommend it at our store. (719 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: dark brown with very thick creamy tan head
Smell: caramelly, roasty
Taste: medium roasty lightly sweet malt, fruity acidity, lightly floral, very balanced herbal hops character. flavors blend superbly
Feel: medium body and super smooth
Overall: Delicious. superbly balanced. very smooth. a textbook porter. If there is any criticism the flavors are on the lighter side, but often I enjoy that in a porter. (415 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours out nice dark and thick.

S: I'm really not into smelling beers like that but I'm trying to be a critic it has a coffee/ roasted/ malt kind of smell to it.

T: It all boils down to taste and Black Butte Porter tastes great. Its sweet but not too sweet has a well balanced coffee taste. It's better than what I expected. Has a hint of chocolate or caramel to it also.

F: It does the job without feeling bloated or having to burp a lot like some cheap beers.

O: Great quality beer doesn't taste watered down. If you like porter style beers a must try to add to your collection. (586 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 06/03/15 poured a deep, dark mahogany color with a one-finger tan head. Medium carbonation. Very well-balanced porter - hints of cocoa, some coffee, very subtle hops, with an understated chocolate finish. Nothing predominates; everything seems to work well together. Creamy-smooth mouthfeel. A really good porter. (330 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

L: Pours deep black with red tint. Thin tan head that holds up for a while. Great lacing.

S: Strong coffee with slight sweetness.

T: Great coffee with slight sweetness at the front (as promised by the great scent). Wonderful, perfectly suited porter finish.

F: Light on the tongue with moderate carbonation.

O: Lives up to the hype. So drinkable. Super balance of everything. (388 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap at YardHouse

A: Pours deep chestnut brown with a creamy tan head that settles and laces well.

S: Roasted malt, light coffee, a touch of chocolate, a bit earthy, and a little dark fruit.

T: Roasted malt, earthy hops, bready toffee malt sweetness, a little smokey, a touch of faint floral hops on the finish.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: I've had this one before but never in a setting where I could review it. I remember it being much better. My suspicion is that this keg wasn't all that fresh. I'll definitely revisit this one. For now, it's just ok. (577 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz. bottle from BevMo. Pours a deep brown with a medium brown head. Aromas of chocolate and light coffee with a hint of smoke. Taste is the same. Very nice mouth feel with a clean slightly smokey finish. Super flavorful for the low ABV. Tasty, smooth and drinkable. (268 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark porter rich color. Served on tap in pint glass nice foam on top. Tasty smooth drinkable choc coffee slight bitterness that did not linger on tongue. I really like it. (173 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz bottle, best before 03/29/15, date stamp 1732 12, served in an Innis & Gunn tulip glass. Shared as part of a beer tasting event.

Appearance: Held up to the light a bright dark brown with copper and amber and mahogany highlights. Think off white head and ring of foam, with some persistent lacing noted.

Smell: Chocolate, light herbal hops.

Taste: Definite chocolate (bittersweet) mixed in with char, some smokiness, and a bitter finish that is partly acidic, party woody, party burnt sugar/roasted malt bitterness. Hops are leafy and maybe a little bitter-tea like.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, smooth, nicely thick.

Overall / Drinkability: Easily drinkable, full of flavor, and I wish I had something meaty to pair with this in flavor. A solid porter. (769 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Dark ruby brown with a lingering tan two finger head
A: roasted malts, chocolate, hints of coffee, and some yeasty bannana esthers
T: roasty bitterness, hints of chocolate and malty sweetness
M: crisper than I typically like for my porters
O: it's solid, but not incredible (276 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter. 5.2% abv

Appearance- Pours a dark charcoal color with a two finger white head that dissipates fast.

Smell- Fresh dark chocolate, molasses. A smoke-like aroma persists as well.

Taste- Light frothy cocoa at first, not too much inlike a watery chocolate milk. Sweet bready malt as well. A bit of chalkiness as well. The roasted quality picks up steam at the end, and builds into a roasted bitterness that lingers slightly.

Mouthfeel- Creamy in feel and medium in terms of body. Carbonation present.

Overall- An excellent porter, though a few others eclipse this offering by a good amount. Nice contrast of chocolate/smoky flavor. Well put together. (685 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into tall pilsner glass.

A: Inch think creamy colored foam and creamy texture too. Almost like a good cappuccino foam but not as fine. Dark brownish red not quite black.

S: I'm terrible at identifying smells. Smells a little sweet. Definitely dark roasted flavors and a little hops.

T: Creamy but not sweet, unlike the hint of sweetness on the nose (do you say on the nose or is that just a wine thing?). OK maybe a tiny sweetness. Really balanced between the roasted malts and the hops help brighten it just the right amount. Flavors are a little subdued though.

M: Creamy. Mild carbonation. Super easy to drink. If this were in a 22oz bottle I feel like I could finish it in 5 minutes without even realizing.

O: Nice beer. Not too heavy and it works any time of year. I do wish the flavor were a little stronger but that's my personal preference. Really glad I opted for the 6 pack as I'll surely enjoy the next 5.

UPDATE: After having a few more over the course of 2 weeks I find this to be almost forgettable. The flavor just isn't strong enough and the mouthfeel disappears so quickly. There are a lot of beers I would prefer instead. (1,169 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Look: Almost pitch black, with a slight ruby glow when put against back lighting. Poured a nice inch of foamy tan head that lingered through drinking. Left nice lacing.

Smell: Smells of chocolate malt up front. Coffee and molasses hits you afterwards. Smells very very good. A smokey/burnt aroma is highly present.

Taste: Slightly smokey/burnt roasted malt flavor overpowers it all, but along with chocolate and coffee malts in the middle, finishing quite sweet like molasses or brown sugar. There is just the right amount of hop bitterness throughout.

Feel: Very medium bodied and very refreshing. Coats the mouth well, quite creamy and has a very nice level of carbonation.

Overall: I am by far a porter guy when it comes to beers, and this one is by far my favorite. It is a roasty, complex porter that balances all the aspects of it perfectly. (889 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A near perfect basic porter, everything you want here. Great black with auburn highlight. Nice subtle coffee, brown sugar presence. Tastes delicious, sweet molasses, a little coffee, a hint of raisin, toasted pumpernickel. Good smooth body for the low abv. Really good, easy drinking, this would be my go to porter if I didn't live in va. (338 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours an incredibly dark brown, almost black, forms a really nice, tan, three finger head, dissipates to a solid, creamy 2 finger head that remains present throughout drinking. Porter leaves whispy lacing.
S - Chocolate malts upfront followed by a caramel coffee note, finishes with a slight buttery note.
T - A very dark bock on the front of the pallet, quickly turns to a dark chocolate coffee with a slight bitter sweetness. No alcohol presence. Slightly creamy mouthfeel. Medium finish.
O - An excellent porter, would make a great first time porter or an excellent transitional beverage between lagers and bocks to the stout world.
V - Good value. (659 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black, thin tan head. Smells of coffee and molasses. Tastes roasted coffee beans and brown sugar/molasses, Slightly Smokey. Creamy mouthfeel, delicious. (152 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can at Ginny's Little Bighorn on Sun., 12/28/2014 (Chicken Shit Bingo), unknown brewing/packaging dates, poured into plastic cup, drank over 30-45 minutes (161 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black with thick head that hangs around
lots of toasted malts and bitter chocolate on the nose
Repeats on the palate with nice vanilla and a smooth finish without much bitterness
Mouthfeel is lighter with quite a bit of carbonation

Overall very drinkable (261 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 3-24-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a dark brown color with two finger tan head that dissipated slowly until a thin unbroken layer of bubbles remained, there was significant lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: roasted grain, coffee, chocolate.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, roasted grain, coffee and some chocolate, maybe a smoky note, the 5.2% ABV is imperceptible.

PALATE: creamy with medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is not a style of beer I really appreciate but, this is obviously well made for the style and I have rated it as such, I enjoy Porter as part of a sampler but would never seek it out on it's own, Deschutes is a very good brewer and I would recommend their beers to my friends. (786 characters)

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery