Jubelale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jubelale Alström Bros
Reviews: 837 | Hads: 2,356
1.98/5  rDev -49.9%

2006 bottle poured into my De Struise glass...A dark mahoany that is almost clear, very dark in the middle. A huge light tan head rises about four fingers. There is great retention, half the head falls fass, but a full two finger frosting like cap stick around. GREAT lacing. Certainly looks the part...The aroma is ROUGH with a capital R. Way too sweet with toffee then plums and winter spice. It teases because at first its almost nice, but its inappropriately strong. Weirdly reminds me of Lime Gatorade, how?...The taste is equally poor. Its incredily light in taste after how strong the aroma is. The feel is way to light, almost water. The taste is light toffee, coffee, gatorade, with chalk and alcohol.

This is horrible and needs to be dumped, even more opening it. (774 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -45.3%

I hate to write bad posts, especially since I am new, but this beer is horrible. I do not understand how people can drink this beer. It has a very sharp, bitter, sour taste, with no real redeeming qualities.

A: It has a common pour from this style of beer.

S: I knew it was not going to be pleasant, too many conflicting textures.

T: I could barely make it thru a bottle. I would say I had this 5 years ago, but it has burned a horrible memory in my mind.

M: Quite pungent.

D: I refuse this beer whenever it is offered. I would rather go sober than drink this beer again. (577 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -34.4%

Received as extra from Emmasdad, thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. "Best by" date of 01/08/11 on the bottle. Guess I'm drinking this just in time.

Appearance: Pour creates a great looking dense head, very dense. It fades slowly, but almost seems to disappear the way it dissipates, and the fact that the head is so dense and frothy. Some wispy swirls remain. The beer has a dark caramel color, very inviting.

Smell: Strong malt presence here, roasted malts and sweetness dominate the nose. After the pour is when the real aromas come out, mainly some fruitiness like pear, apple, and raisins. Plenty of alcohol. A little bit of spiciness in the middle comes out more as the drink warms.

Taste: Some fruity and citrusy flavors appear at first, only to be replaced quickly with lots of bitterness. The bitterness continues to dominate the rest of the flavor, it also has some burnt, smoky and roasted characteristics. Some alcohol at the finish. The bitterness fades as the drink warms, but it's still overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation. Very smooth, a little thin, but not in a negative way. I enjoy the level of carbonation. The bitterness sticks in the back of the throat.

Overall: The deep, smoky, burnt flavor is just a little too overpowering for me. It really becomes the focus of this beer for me, and I just don't like it. (1,384 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

I should have tried a sixer before barreling-up. Pleased with the deep opaque poor and two fingers of tight pleated khakis at the helm. Malty richness with a bit of toastiness, but finishes a bit bitter for my taste. Worse yet, and maybe I'm alone, but this one is a head-throbber. About thirty minutes after seeing the bottom of my glass, I am met with a dull headache. (374 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Dark caramel color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Smells pretty amazing! Sweet caramel as well as a deep fruity smell.

T - Well, not even close to how it smells. Piney, spicy, a little bit of a roasted taste. Definitely not my cup of tea... or beer. But to each their own.

F/D - Smooth and a little carbonated. And a bitter aftertaste. Not too drinkable for me. I believe I'll pass on my next opportunity to drink this festive winter ale. (504 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -29.1%

Jubelale 06

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A--- Poured amber with red highlights and a large off-white head.

S---Coffee, dark chocolate and cherries.

T---Sherry, astringency with a walnut aftertaste.

M---Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D---The taste did not agree with me but the aroma was outstanding. (323 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -29.1%

12 oz bottle into my Rahr Winter Warmer oversized snifter.

A - 1 finger light brown head, settles to ring/cover. Beautiful clear dark brown.

S - sweet malts, candied fruits - apples, cherries...caramel & a bit of spice for good measure.

T - Whoa! Spicy hops galore...not like the smell at all. Pepper, pine, coffee...wow, I simply cannot get past the shock of the hop bitterness. Aftertaste is bitter too. The malts are in there somewhere, but the bitterness is too overpowering. There is warming too, with the ABV, but I consider that par for the course with this style.

M - carbonation is fine, medium body...but the finish is dry, too dry in my opinion.

D - Not really. Don't think I'll have another one tonight. I'll drink my sixer, but I'm not buying any more of this. Maybe I'll offer it to guests who might like it more than me.

Apparently this is a popular beer, but I did score it the way that I did, since it didn't quite seem like a Winter Warmer to me...almost like a CDA instead? The harsh bitterness is just not what I typically expect from a Winter Warmer; I expect a bit more balance.

Upon reading some other reviews, maybe this beer needed to warm up a bit more. Obviously I have to finish out this sixer, so next time, I'll let it warm up a little more and see if it seems a bit less harsh. Or if all else fails, let someone else drink it. (1,364 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2007 vintage. Now that it's spring, it might be getting a little old?

A: Hazy chestnut colour with a tan head; very little retention but it leaves a nice lace.

S: Dark fruit, spice, brown sugar, grainy bread, tart fruitiness.

T: Grainy, brown sugar, spice, floral hops and slightly tart fruitiness.

M: Light to moderate body; dry.

D: Definitely below average. (364 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -27.1%

I had this year's Jubelale early in the season, shortly after its release in the first week of October. The imperial pint I drank at the Deschutes Brew Pub had many laudable properties but only in strange disharmonious proportions. My Jubelale sported a light head atop a body of deep cherry cola. I found notes of plum, fig, and raisin in the nose. The taste also held raisin and coffee extract flavors as well as a fair measure of fruit and spice. A solid wall of bitterness completed the taste profile.

With all these admirable qualities in place why did this beer still fail to inspire? One reason may be the unexpected harshness to the tongue. The fruit and spice flavors were present, but crowded and stumbling upon one another. The bitterness seemed like an angry intrusion. The net effect was a hostile coarseness that strained the mouthfeel. Perhaps the brew needed aging.

I've been wracking my brains about this for some time now and haven't yet arrived at any satisfactory conclusions. Some possibilities include improperly cleaned glassware or beerlines. And then again, maybe this Jubelale just isn't all it's cracked up to be. (1,149 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass: Freshness date in code on the back of bottle

P: Pours a Sepia brown color and sits in the glass a light brown, with persian red highlights throughout. Nice 2 fingered frothy head that showed good retention, but didn't leave much lace. Head slowly crumbled down to form a thin lid on top.

A: Smells a bit like an IPA. Some toasted malts, citrus hops, caramel, and some spice. Not as pronounced as I would have expected.

T: Citrusy hops, a little grapefruity, with a slight touch of a piney flavor. Weak toasted malts in the background, some caramel, a tad nutty, some spice, and an undertone that tastes kind of like Ginger Ale. Having said that, the flavor is weak, falls flat on the palate, and has very little carbonation. This seems like more of a brown ale the deeper you dig. But, I swear it tastes like someone spilled some Ginger Ale into my glass of beer.

M: The body of Jubelale is on the lighter side of medium. But, the mouthfeel does suffer from the flat flavor and the absence of carbonation, though. (Maybe a bad bottle?)

D: If I really wanted to, I could drink these like water because they are pretty smooth. But, I would rather not due to the above-mentioned deficiencies.

Notes: I had really high hopes for this Winter Warmer from Deschutes. But I have to be honest, it didn't come close to matching my expectations. There is a promising base here for this brew, but the nose and flavor just doesn't stand up as strong as they should. I would love to see some carbonation added, a little more heft to the body, and more of a warming effect from an increase in alcohol. As it is, I'm disappointed with this one, for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving! (1,714 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Rich amber body sits beneath a cinnamon laced cream head. Retention is not superb but does leave a nice trail of sticky lacing behind.

Sweet caramel malt base layered with a brown sugar syrup aroma. Subtle rum raisin smell lingers towards the back. Clove and orange zest are picked up, there seems to be a bit more spice there which I am not picking up.

Sweet syrupy malt flavors greets you as expected though it seems a strong hoppy presence is a bit of an unexpected guest. A strange lemon juice flavor seems to pop up all over the place and does not fit. The choice of spice seemingly fits the style but is off putting when sitting atop the rather odd flavors I am encountering.

Medium body with ample carbonation. Not as full as I would like but decent none the less. Finish is rather dry as the spice sticks to the tongue.

The flavor is a deal breaker. Everything was lined up perfectly to be a very solid holiday beer. The off taste ruined the drinking experience, I could not get past it. I would try this one again as I am not convinced what I am tasting is what was intended but at this time this one is not for me. (1,129 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25.6%

2009 12fl oz bottle

Pours a dark copper color with a two and a half inch sightly tan head. Great head retention with soapy lacing left clinging to the sides of my glass.

Some spices, mostly dominate malts in the smell with scent of hops coming through also.

Slight hints of biscuit like malts, slight spices coming through with the faintest of hops.

Mouthfeel is leaning in between light to medium bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing.

A little too much on the light side for me. (504 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -25.1%

Served from the bottle into a stemmed globed glass

A- Poured a very dark ruby red/brown color with a nice fluffy and frothy off-white head that left cascading lace.

S- Big malty aroma, red licorice, toffee, orange peel, and lots of spices (but nothing familiar that I can put my finger on)

T- Lots of breadiness, red licorice, orange peel, medicinal notes, lots of unfamiliar spices, maybe some chamomile

M- Very watery finish, lighter bodied, with some alcohol warming. The beer really lingers on the palate.

O- The mouthfeel on this beer was pretty disappointing and the flavor was ok. My least favorite from Deschutes so far. I had this on tap maybe a month ago and I remember it being different than this. (716 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -25.1%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown coloring with a thin amount of light brown head.

S- Roasted malty scent with just a very slight hint of hops.

T- A slight malty caramel flavoring at first with a slightly dry, hoppy finish.

M- Smooth at first, but it definitely has a dry finish to it.

D- Very drinkable. A few of these shouldn't be a problem for someone to get down.

Overall a decent winter warmer, but it seems a tad unbalanced. Not even close to being one of my favorite Winter Warmer's, but still a decent beer. (546 characters)

Bottle, best by 3/16/15. Pours a dark amber color with a light tan head. Aroma is raisin with slight banana, some mild fruit and caramel/molasses. Taste is sweet and malty, not much spice that I could make out, maybe towards the end with the slight bitterness. Mouthfeel is skickey and slightly thick, lots of residual sugars. Overall a decent beer, not in my wheelhouse, would like more spice, less malt/sugar. (411 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -23.8%

The Jubelale was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance- There is one-finger of bubbly, khaki colored foam. This beer has a nice dark brown and ruby body. Long columns of slow bubbles are seen at the edges of the glass. It leaves a nice sheet of lace with a ring of foam.

Smell- There is a slight fruity and ester quality to the smell. It's like grapes and kind of like apricots. It is really, really faint.

Taste- The front of the drink is roasted and has a hint of the esters from the nose. The middle of the drink to the finish brings in some spiciness and alcohol warming. There is some hop bitterness in the finish. That weird, grape flavor is still here. This is really unbalanced and not what I was expecting.

Mouth feel- The beer is medium bodied, but really harsh due to the alcohol like warming and the roasted malt. It also seems watered down which does not help matters.

Overall- There is not enough going on in this beer to make it interesting. It is like whatever flavors had been in here have been boiled down to their essence of "spicy", "roasted", and "sweet".

The strange alcohol harshness also detracts greatly on the palate. This is not something I will probably ever pick up again. (1,208 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

2006 - 12 oz. bottle

Deep amber-brown color with a finger high, quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma of sweet, smoky malt, caramel, some winter spice, mild citrus, and a little bit of browned butter.

Taste is much the same – malt and spice, a bit of caramel, with a hoppy bite at the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth with a nice amount of carbonation.

All in all a nice seasonal offering from Deschutes. (408 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

I had a cask conditioned Deschutes Jubelale at the Elk Public House in Spokane. Served in a pint tumbler.

Pours a dark brown with a red hue and a bubbly beige head.

The smell is sweet, floral and fruity.

The taste is bitter and sweet like a red ale. There is some fermented fruit flavor. cherry and licorice. Some evergreen flavor, juniper maybe and a bit of alcohol taste.

The mouth feel is a little sharp, cloying and flat.

This is a drinkable beer. OK but not great. I'll look for it in a bottle. (509 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.5%

12 fl oz bottle served in a snifter:

A - Pours an incredibly dark ruby red with a 2 finger off white head of decent creaminess. The retention is average.

S - Cream, musky hops, spice, caramel. Surprisingly mild.

T - Light cream and spice open, giving way to caramel and toasted malt. Has a light spiciness too it, with a floral hops finish, and no noticeable alcohol. Again, quite mild.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

D - I'm a big fan of Deschutes, but wasn't terribly impressed by this one. The abv isn't quite high enough to have an impact and the winter warmer effect. (585 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.5%

Sampled 5 January 2007

Deep reddish brown color, add a touch of auburn to the brown bottle and that’d be it. Head was tight, dense, and thick - almost as much as a nitro. There were some floaties in the head, and the beer, and I know the glass was clean. I don’t think it’s bottle conditioned, but it looks like yeast. Aroma was very alcohol, especially for a beer this strength.

Taste was good. Not very hoppy for a Winter Warmer, but not very malty either, so go figure. Still getting a lot of alcohol. Maybe that’s from letting it warm too much, but I prefer these winter warmers uncool.

All in all a good beer.

Hat tip to my good friend Derek who brought me 18 micros from Oregon when he came home for Christmas. I’ll review the rest as I get to them. I want to saver them.

Butch (803 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -22.3%

2006 vintage with the updated label. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard french pint.

Very dark, slightly murky red. Fast and fine crema-coloured head, but with resilient carbonation. Thick, even lace from lip to floor.

Smells of cherries, sour candi sugar, caramel, young northwest hops, a touch of brine. Much more of a stout smell than is typical for the style.

Taste is cola, alpha acids, and orange, over-roasted malts and a finish almost like peat smoke. All of the tastes are incredibly fleeting. Little to no aftertaste, not that it would have been minded!

Feels quite smooth on the tongue and only mildly sticky afterwards, despite the sweetness. Alcohol rides noticably on the bitter hops, but is otherwise well masked. A predisposition towards very long-boiled hops is necessary for drinkability on this one.

I normally love winter warmers, but I feel as if this particular brew puts the emphasis on in the wrong parts of the style. There isn't enough body to hold up the bitters, despite a beautiful nose. (1,038 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22%

On tap at Craft + Commerce in San Diego. Served ice cold in a glass I've never encountered before-- I'd have to describe it as a chubby champagne flute.

A grainy, tangy brew with a robust hoppiness. Sharp sensation along with plenty of bitterness. I remember this as being maltier in bottles tasted over the years. Lots of roasted flavors with a darker, bitter aftertaste.

Resins in the nose, a little hot and spicy, and some buckwheat. A hard flavor to leave behind you. Not my choice in the winter beer competition, but its austere lines may appeal to some in search of a less malty Christmas brew. (602 characters)

2009 vintage.

Pours a very cloudy deep dark copper color with dark amber hues when held to a light source and a one finger light beige that quickly settles into a lasting ring.

Sweet malty aroma with subtle spice, alcohol and dark fruit. I'm picking up a buttery diacetyl presence that is slightly off-putting. Hints of caramel, biscuit and rye along with a subtle medicinal/herbal character and sweet dark fruit, especially cherry.

Medium bodied with a prominent peppery spice presence up front that lingers throughout over the sweet malt and dark fruit notes into a lingering dry finish. Slight herbal/medicinal with only a touch of the buttery character found in the aroma. Very malty with lots of caramel, biscuit, toffee, toast and rye. I'm also picking up hints of cherry, raisin, plum and grape. Complex but a bit too heavy on the spices for my liking. The lack of booziness/heat helps drinkability but I'm just not a big fan of the flavor. (950 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Cloudy brown/mahogany pour, decent/average head and lacing

Smell: Caramel malt, hops, spices, cocoa; hint of molasses and brown sugar; dark fruits like raisins and cherries

Mouthfeel: A bit thin

Drinkability: Drinkable, but no need for another (258 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle pours a semi hazy dark maroon color with a medium lived beige head. Smell is toffee, tart malt and belgian yeast like spiced character. Smells like a dubbel. Taste is very reminiscent of a dubbel as well, with some dark fruity malt flavors and a yeasty spice component that I am not too big on. Good rich body and soft to medium carbonation, but the flavor is not my favorite. Still well done though. (407 characters)

Jubelale from Deschutes Brewery