Jubelale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jubelale Alström Bros

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Received as extra from Emmasdad, thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. "Best by" date of 01/08/11 on the bottle. Guess I'm drinking this just in time.

Appearance: Pour creates a great looking dense head, very dense. It fades slowly, but almost seems to disappear the way it dissipates, and the fact that the head is so dense and frothy. Some wispy swirls remain. The beer has a dark caramel color, very inviting.

Smell: Strong malt presence here, roasted malts and sweetness dominate the nose. After the pour is when the real aromas come out, mainly some fruitiness like pear, apple, and raisins. Plenty of alcohol. A little bit of spiciness in the middle comes out more as the drink warms.

Taste: Some fruity and citrusy flavors appear at first, only to be replaced quickly with lots of bitterness. The bitterness continues to dominate the rest of the flavor, it also has some burnt, smoky and roasted characteristics. Some alcohol at the finish. The bitterness fades as the drink warms, but it's still overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation. Very smooth, a little thin, but not in a negative way. I enjoy the level of carbonation. The bitterness sticks in the back of the throat.

Overall: The deep, smoky, burnt flavor is just a little too overpowering for me. It really becomes the focus of this beer for me, and I just don't like it.

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

2.68/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Dark caramel color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Smells pretty amazing! Sweet caramel as well as a deep fruity smell.

T - Well, not even close to how it smells. Piney, spicy, a little bit of a roasted taste. Definitely not my cup of tea... or beer. But to each their own.

F/D - Smooth and a little carbonated. And a bitter aftertaste. Not too drinkable for me. I believe I'll pass on my next opportunity to drink this festive winter ale.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

Jubelale 06

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A--- Poured amber with red highlights and a large off-white head.

S---Coffee, dark chocolate and cherries.

T---Sherry, astringency with a walnut aftertaste.

M---Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D---The taste did not agree with me but the aroma was outstanding.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz bottle into my Rahr Winter Warmer oversized snifter.

A - 1 finger light brown head, settles to ring/cover. Beautiful clear dark brown.

S - sweet malts, candied fruits - apples, cherries...caramel & a bit of spice for good measure.

T - Whoa! Spicy hops galore...not like the smell at all. Pepper, pine, coffee...wow, I simply cannot get past the shock of the hop bitterness. Aftertaste is bitter too. The malts are in there somewhere, but the bitterness is too overpowering. There is warming too, with the ABV, but I consider that par for the course with this style.

M - carbonation is fine, medium body...but the finish is dry, too dry in my opinion.

D - Not really. Don't think I'll have another one tonight. I'll drink my sixer, but I'm not buying any more of this. Maybe I'll offer it to guests who might like it more than me.

Apparently this is a popular beer, but I did score it the way that I did, since it didn't quite seem like a Winter Warmer to me...almost like a CDA instead? The harsh bitterness is just not what I typically expect from a Winter Warmer; I expect a bit more balance.

Upon reading some other reviews, maybe this beer needed to warm up a bit more. Obviously I have to finish out this sixer, so next time, I'll let it warm up a little more and see if it seems a bit less harsh. Or if all else fails, let someone else drink it.

2.75/5  rDev -30%

I should have tried a sixer before barreling-up. Pleased with the deep opaque poor and two fingers of tight pleated khakis at the helm. Malty richness with a bit of toastiness, but finishes a bit bitter for my taste. Worse yet, and maybe I'm alone, but this one is a head-throbber. About thirty minutes after seeing the bottom of my glass, I am met with a dull headache.

2.76/5  rDev -29.8%

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2007 vintage. Now that it's spring, it might be getting a little old?

A: Hazy chestnut colour with a tan head; very little retention but it leaves a nice lace.

S: Dark fruit, spice, brown sugar, grainy bread, tart fruitiness.

T: Grainy, brown sugar, spice, floral hops and slightly tart fruitiness.

M: Light to moderate body; dry.

D: Definitely below average.

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Rich amber body sits beneath a cinnamon laced cream head. Retention is not superb but does leave a nice trail of sticky lacing behind.

Sweet caramel malt base layered with a brown sugar syrup aroma. Subtle rum raisin smell lingers towards the back. Clove and orange zest are picked up, there seems to be a bit more spice there which I am not picking up.

Sweet syrupy malt flavors greets you as expected though it seems a strong hoppy presence is a bit of an unexpected guest. A strange lemon juice flavor seems to pop up all over the place and does not fit. The choice of spice seemingly fits the style but is off putting when sitting atop the rather odd flavors I am encountering.

Medium body with ample carbonation. Not as full as I would like but decent none the less. Finish is rather dry as the spice sticks to the tongue.

The flavor is a deal breaker. Everything was lined up perfectly to be a very solid holiday beer. The off taste ruined the drinking experience, I could not get past it. I would try this one again as I am not convinced what I am tasting is what was intended but at this time this one is not for me.

Jubelale from Deschutes Brewery