Jubelale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jubelale Alström Bros
Reviews: 855 | Hads: 2,455
3.07/5  rDev -22.3%

2006 vintage with the updated label. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard french pint.

Very dark, slightly murky red. Fast and fine crema-coloured head, but with resilient carbonation. Thick, even lace from lip to floor.

Smells of cherries, sour candi sugar, caramel, young northwest hops, a touch of brine. Much more of a stout smell than is typical for the style.

Taste is cola, alpha acids, and orange, over-roasted malts and a finish almost like peat smoke. All of the tastes are incredibly fleeting. Little to no aftertaste, not that it would have been minded!

Feels quite smooth on the tongue and only mildly sticky afterwards, despite the sweetness. Alcohol rides noticably on the bitter hops, but is otherwise well masked. A predisposition towards very long-boiled hops is necessary for drinkability on this one.

I normally love winter warmers, but I feel as if this particular brew puts the emphasis on in the wrong parts of the style. There isn't enough body to hold up the bitters, despite a beautiful nose.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

On tap at Craft + Commerce in San Diego. Served ice cold in a glass I've never encountered before-- I'd have to describe it as a chubby champagne flute.

A grainy, tangy brew with a robust hoppiness. Sharp sensation along with plenty of bitterness. I remember this as being maltier in bottles tasted over the years. Lots of roasted flavors with a darker, bitter aftertaste.

Resins in the nose, a little hot and spicy, and some buckwheat. A hard flavor to leave behind you. Not my choice in the winter beer competition, but its austere lines may appeal to some in search of a less malty Christmas brew.

2009 vintage.

Pours a very cloudy deep dark copper color with dark amber hues when held to a light source and a one finger light beige that quickly settles into a lasting ring.

Sweet malty aroma with subtle spice, alcohol and dark fruit. I'm picking up a buttery diacetyl presence that is slightly off-putting. Hints of caramel, biscuit and rye along with a subtle medicinal/herbal character and sweet dark fruit, especially cherry.

Medium bodied with a prominent peppery spice presence up front that lingers throughout over the sweet malt and dark fruit notes into a lingering dry finish. Slight herbal/medicinal with only a touch of the buttery character found in the aroma. Very malty with lots of caramel, biscuit, toffee, toast and rye. I'm also picking up hints of cherry, raisin, plum and grape. Complex but a bit too heavy on the spices for my liking. The lack of booziness/heat helps drinkability but I'm just not a big fan of the flavor.

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Cloudy brown/mahogany pour, decent/average head and lacing

Smell: Caramel malt, hops, spices, cocoa; hint of molasses and brown sugar; dark fruits like raisins and cherries

Mouthfeel: A bit thin

Drinkability: Drinkable, but no need for another

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle pours a semi hazy dark maroon color with a medium lived beige head. Smell is toffee, tart malt and belgian yeast like spiced character. Smells like a dubbel. Taste is very reminiscent of a dubbel as well, with some dark fruity malt flavors and a yeasty spice component that I am not too big on. Good rich body and soft to medium carbonation, but the flavor is not my favorite. Still well done though.

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a Deschutes snifter. Looks like a dark chestnut brown with some ruby hues. Smells very malty and a little burnt. Something in this aroma is far from pleasing. Winter Warmers are certainly a varied style, but this is not particularly inviting. Taste is very malty with that same burnt tone as in the aroma. As it warms the flavors settle down and the uniqueness of the malt bill show themselves and I am enjoying this a bit more. Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

Not my favorite Deschutes beer, but one 12oz. bottle is more than enough for me.

3.12/5  rDev -21%

A: Poured from bottle into standard pint glass. Color is dark amber. Thick frothy brownish/white head. Lots of lacing down the pint glass.
S: Smell is very complex. Nice hoppy scent with some fruity scents as well. There is also some spiciness other than hop, maybe like a nutmeg smell.
T: This beer does not taste too well balanced to me. Very bitter, much more than expected. Very light on the malt flavor. There is also a slight coffee aftertaste. The alcohol in this one seems very evident.
M: Nice amount of carbonation, smooth drinking.
D: I think that winter seasonals are really not my cup of tea, because looking at some of the other reviews of this one, it seems like people really like it. I'm glad I bought a single bottle of this because its a little heavy for me.

3.12/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pours a nicely clear garnet color with a creamy beige head. Decent retention and lots of lacing. A beautiful beer, I must say.

The smell is kind of odd, and my least favorite part of this beer. Nicely spiced with cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg, there's an underlying chemical smell that I have to pin as chlorine. Not all that inviting.

Taste is somewhat disappointing as well. The spices really don't come out until the finish, and before that, there isn't a lot of good stuff going on. Dry and somewhat unflavorful (at least until the finish), I don't particularly like the taste on this one.

A little too light in body for me, but with a creamy finish and nice carbonation, the mouthfeel here is satisfactory.

Highly drinkable, but not enough here to keep me wanting to come back.

Meh at best.

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours dark copper with a quickly fading head.
Nose shows liquorice, sour spices, confectionery, sweet malt and brown sugar.
Roasty flavours with an astringent herbal hit too. Some confectionery-like sweetness and more liquorice.
Carbonation is too high.

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle from BevMo. Dark, deep amber in color, thin, khaki head, and appears semi-filtered. Bouquet is slightly oaky, with strong scents of raisin, plums, and black currants. Taste is oaky, little gingery, slightly bitter, and the scent of sweetness from the raisins and plums disappears. Mouthfeel hits the bitter tastebuds and is slightly warming. Drinkable beer, which suits winter. Probably less bitter out of the tap and could age a little longer.

3.14/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights and two fingers of rocky tan head that leaves some nice lacing as it fades.

Aroma is faint, consisting of dark caramel malts and some dark fruits along with bits of Christmastime spices.

Lots of malt sweetness in the taste, dark fruits are evident along with some fresh bread. Finishes noticeably bitter, I'm surprised I didn't pick that up in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is a little lighter than I was expecting, but there is plenty of prickly carbonation to go around. I'm not typically a fan of sweeter beers like this and this one didn't change my mind, although it was nice to give this holiday ale a try on a cold December night.

3.14/5  rDev -20.5%

2008 version: Pours a beautiful dark ruby color with a creamy one finger tan head and left good lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Smelled of some spices, somewhat of a gingerbread. However I must mention what I did pick in the scents were somewhat on the weak side.

Taste was alsomade up mainly of spices, and again not much else and again on the weak side. I was rather disappointed here and was expecting more.

Mouthfeel was ok, although a bit thin. I would have liked a bit more body in this one, and it had sort of a wtaery feel to it.

Overall I was hoping for more out of this brew. Like some of the other beers from Deschutes, I felt it lacked something to make it a really good beer. It definately needed a bit more strength in the taste department. Not a bad beer, but only a tad above average. Plenty of other better seasonals out there.

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

I kept wanting more form this beer. The Look and smell was good but the taste didn’t follow through. I think the malt covered up some of the flavor. The Christmas spice ale flavor was there but very hard to detect. The IBUs were at 60 and the alcohol % was 6.7. Not a bad beer but I expect more form a seasonal.

Best by 12MAR13
Pours a nice dark cherry hued mahogany with a sheet of light tan foam. Smells of sweet malt, hints of nougat and ginger a bit of vanilla and graham, decent nose. Flavor is of dry, roasted malts with some coffee, some leather, some bitterness and a hint of rye bread. Medium bodied with limited carb and a slick, yet dry on acrid finish. Interesting beer, not sure I'm a huge fan yet.

Best by 24FEB12 - reviewed 13NOV11 - 3/3/3/3/3
A: a cherry red beer pours with a finger of tan pink foam and excellent clarity. Spotty lace.
S: Sharp hops and sweet malts with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
T: hmm the yeast is no good and too strong to me. Some metallic flavors, some astringency. Meh.
M: thin with moderate carb. Semi dry finish.
O: well, not my favorite. Not bad.

Bottle reads best before 04/01/11. 1821 E

A= The beer pours a deep deep amber color. Looks brown in the glass with amber highlights until I hold it up to the light. Totally translucent. The head is about a half finger high and falls to a thin skin on the glass with a little lacing.

S= Smells interesting. Big malty sweetness. Caramelly and sugary. Typical winter warmer smell. No spice to it just sweet sweet malts.

T= The taste is again somewhat typical of a winter warmer. Big malt character. There seems to be a touch of roasted malt maybe? The finish is bitter but coffee bitter not hoppy bitter. There is a slight hop character to it on the back of the tongue however. The finish is a little oily if that makes sense. You get hit with a lot of typical malty caramel sweetness on the tip of the tongue. The finish is the most interesting part however. Oily and coffee like bitterness.

M= Good carbonation. The lingering coffee bitterness is somewhat bothersome however.

D= I dunno how many of these I could drink before wanting to check out something else. It's ok but nothing worth seeking out.

3.16/5  rDev -20%

Pours a light brownish head atop a dark, almost purple-like body. Head comes back easily upon agitation, but nothing majorly stunning.

Aromas are very floral, sweet, but with an annoying bitterness in the aroma (the same of which is also present in the flavors) popping through. One of the Alstrom brothers referred to it as mineral, perhaps?

Flavors include some berries, a little bit of cocoa, slight caramel, and there, that damn awkward bitter flavor comes through again, spoiling the blend.

Mouthfeel is thin and slightly tickly.

Overall, this is my least favorite Deschutes beer. It has all the components to be a good, sweet winter warmer but for that bitterness that detracts and fights the rest of the recipe. It's like a pilsner wrestling with a fruity ale with the two never quite dovetailing.

Oddly enough, for all the bad things I say about it I still drink it again and again and I don't know why. Maybe it's my unhealthy-relationship beer: you keep returning to it, hoping things will get better. :-D

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%

Reddish brown color with a two fingered light tan head with good retention. The aroma has spices and caramel malt, along with some citrus aroma.

The taste is hoppier than anticipated. The caramel malt and spices also make their presence known, but the bitter hop flavor gets in the way. The hops and the malt do not work together as well as I had hoped. I can also taste some sweet malt and spices, but not as much as I had hoped for.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, has a bit of a dry feeling. This is not that bad of a beer, but is too hoppy and dry for the style.

3.2/5  rDev -19%

12 oz bottle from the '09 batch pours a mostly clear, light copper color with a frothy tan head that fades fairly quick but leaves nice rings of lace.

Nose is pretty delicate for the style with some hoppiness that reminds me a bit of SN Celebration and some light spicing. Black licorice, red hots candy and for some reason the old Willy Wonka bottlecaps candy.

The taste of this beer really does not do much for me. Really surprised by Deschutes, as all their other offerings have really impressed. Toasty malts mingle with a bit of citrus and pine resin hop bite, but there is not a whole lot else going on here. A bit on the thin side and it is not very warming. Meh.

3.2/5  rDev -19%

Well, I see my tastes on this one don’t match the general consencous.

Pour was fine – a clear deep mahogany brown, tan head died way too quickly. Aroma was good too – a malty Jim Beam bourbon.

But the taste – a sour malt, dry and woody. Not near enough malts for balance. Spices were noticeably missing.

Body was appropriate and I could sip on these, but I’m not gonna be looking for this in the future. Que sera, sera.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

2007 version. Pours a beautiful deep mahogany color, hard to see through but can notice some clarity on the edges. Off white head forms pretty thick and dwindles down but sits as a half-finger head for a while. Leaves great lacing. The taste is, for a lack of better term, malty. Seems like a toasted malt on a pretty thin body, finishes with some lingering sweet aftertaste. Finishes watery. This is a far cry from the version I remember of last year that had much more malt character but also some fruit coming through as well.

Pains me to have to do this, I love Deschutes, but this winter style ale just doesn't hit the spot for me. It's not a bad tasting beer, which is why I give the drinkability a fair score, but the taste is just average, and you could even say below average for a "festive winter ale."

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

The beer is a beautiful red with a brownish yellow head. Good head retention, overall it presents well.

Sweet caramel with slight citrus and earthy notes on the nose

Flavors of allspice, nutmeg and caramel hit the pallet right away following with a little citrusy bitterness and coffee

medium body beer with a decent amount of carbonation and residual sugar give it a pleasing ride down the esophagus.

Jubelale is a decent winter ale and I'd drink it over a domestic but at least this years (2010) batch is nothing to write home about.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a dark reddish brown. Nice thick cap with lacing on the glass. Flavor is more bitter than I like for Winter/Christmas Ales. I'm typically a big fan of Deschutes but this one misses the mark for me.

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Nice cherry-red glow with light tan head that is nice but fades incompletely. The aroma is oranges, mild winter spiciness (whether it's added or not) and a light, sweet malt. The first sip is a shock at the amount of hop bitterness. The hops seem to float seperately from the rest of the beer which is a warm soft sweet maltiness. The hop bitterness fades as you get used to it but it still seems out of place and unbalances the beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice deep red, with a thin coffee head. Smells of wood and smoke with a little hop to it. Tastes alright. Much more of a smoke flavor than i would like to see from what appears to be a red ale. Where's the hops? Kinda disappointed in the lack of hops in this one. Needs more coffee or caramel to balance with that intense smokey flavor. I do like the mouthfeel, nice. Bubbly and light. The finish again lacks with a fairly watery smoke flavor. Overall, probably my least favorite Deschutes beer that I've had. Shame really, now i guess I'll just have to drink Powder Hound or Sleigher all winter :)

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%

I got this offering from Deschutes Brewing Co. during a holiday beers swap conducted during the Strong Ale Festival at the Carlsbad Pizza Port a couple weeks ago. Jubelale had a clear reddish-amber color and a long-lasting foamy beige head that deposited lots of sticky lace on the glass.
The smell was an interesting mix of earthy malt, toffee, some citrus hops and some mild herbal notes. The taste fell short of what the aroma promised, IMO. At first, pleasant caramel malts and toffee flavors were picked up. All too quickly the palate was jarred by a rather harsh rush of bitterness and an astringency that really clashed with the malt profile. A long, dry and bitter finish made this seasonal a tough one for me to follow through to the bottom of the glass. The feel was medium-bodied and dry.
I’ve enjoyed Deschutes’ Black Butte Porter and had high hopes for Jubelale. Unfortunately, all I can say is that I was disappointed with how the tastes didn’t same to mesh well. I’ll pass on this one in the future.

Jubelale from Deschutes Brewery