Jubelale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jubelale Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown with some ruby. One finger of tan/khaki head.

S - Lots of sweet malts: caramel, toast, brown sugar, and a hint of cocoa.

T - Big nutty caramel malt flavor which is followed by sweet brown sugar, a bit of roastiness, a little coffee, and some cocoa. A great mix of sweet and roasty flavors.

M - Smooth, moderate body with low-to-moderate carbonation. This is very creamy and easy to drink.

O - Deschutes has impressed me greatly again. Definitely my favorite winter warmer; the amount of complexity is great and the various sweet malt flavors complement each other perfectly.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Had a bit of a head cold when I had this, so my taste and smell were a bit thrown off.

A - Poured into a pokal glass. Deep dark brown and surprisingly dense khaki head that had better than average retention. Great lacing on this.

S - My smell is practically nonexistent but I'm getting notes of maltiness.

T - Tasting the malts, nuts, and slight spice note. This reminds more of a brown ale.

M - Medium body. Quite pleasant and I get a warmness from the alcohol in it.

O - Hard to say I got the whole picture on this, but I was surprisingly pleased with this. Great beer all around and think I'll have to get more of this to enjoy. Some brownie points for having an awesome label art.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I'd like to point out that this years art work is great.

It looks kind of like a quad, not sure what a Winter Warmer is supposed to look like, but the lacing is quite nice, and I like the ruby red, muddled brown appearance.

I'm not quite sold on the smell. Those who are not beer enthusiasts would say this smells like "beer". That was the first thing I thought of when I smelled it; sweet malts, some wheat maybe, but not much.

The taste is very interesting, not too much up front, but a nice spiciness rolls over the tongue and finishes with that fermented sugar-like taste. Maybe they used honey, or brown sugar, or I dunno. But I have never quite been a fan. I think I need to pair that taste with something happy.

Overall, I'm quite a fan of this after having one bottle. It seems it is going one direction, then goes to the next, just messing me up in the head!

If they let this sit with e belgian yeast strain, it would be a dubbel.

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Best by 12MAR13
Pours a nice dark cherry hued mahogany with a sheet of light tan foam. Smells of sweet malt, hints of nougat and ginger a bit of vanilla and graham, decent nose. Flavor is of dry, roasted malts with some coffee, some leather, some bitterness and a hint of rye bread. Medium bodied with limited carb and a slick, yet dry on acrid finish. Interesting beer, not sure I'm a huge fan yet.

Best by 24FEB12 - reviewed 13NOV11 - 3/3/3/3/3
A: a cherry red beer pours with a finger of tan pink foam and excellent clarity. Spotty lace.
S: Sharp hops and sweet malts with a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon.
T: hmm the yeast is no good and too strong to me. Some metallic flavors, some astringency. Meh.
M: thin with moderate carb. Semi dry finish.
O: well, not my favorite. Not bad.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip

A: Pours a roasty brown with frothy off white head billowing to the lip of my glass. Great looking beer. Slight alcohol legs with fantastic lacing sticking to my glass...

S: Roasted malts swimming in dark fruit juice and slight astringency from the alcohol and hops. Nutty, fruity aroma that definitely invites you in for a sip.

T: Roasted nuts, caramel and dark fruit hit you first. That's followed by a slight alcohol/hop bite that mellows out into a nutty, sweetness. Slight molasses aftertaste with enough astringency to keep it from being cloying. Well done....

M: Smooth and creamy. A little thin if you drink it too cold but as it warms the creaminess comes through. Great mouthfeel for a non-bottle conditioned beer.

O: A must have winter seasonal. I never miss this one and you shouldn't either. If you like winter warmers but don't want a cinnamon/spice bomb this is your beer. A well crafted beer that I anxiously await every winter.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%